Here's A Compelling Case For Killing Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't think it's valid to compare WP with OS X in terms of trajectory. Remember that OS X was considered a breath of fresh air in a Windows-dominated world. A brand new OS with pretty graphics, no viruses, easy to use with lifestyle applications(iLife) and professional applications(Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop). OS X was answering a market need.

Which market need is WP answering exactly? If MS had engineering WP to be enterprise ready in 2010 with all the enterprise bells and whistles(Exchange, VPN, TFS, Sharepoint integration) that would have addressed a market need, but they didn't. They tried to be a me-too consumer phone that was severely crippled and is only now starting to look decent in functionality at a time when consumers will be choosing from iOS 8 and Android L devices which have hyper-levels of functionality and ecosystems.

I am not one of those people saying "WP is dead", but it sure looks aimless to me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's valid to compare WP with OS X in terms of trajectory. Remember that OS X was considered a breath of fresh air in a Windows-dominated world. A brand new OS with pretty graphics, no viruses, easy to use with lifestyle applications(iLife) and professional applications(Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop). OS X was answering a market need.

Which market need is WP answering exactly? If MS had engineering WP to be enterprise ready in 2010 with all the enterprise bells and whistles(Exchange, VPN, TFS, Sharepoint integration) that would have addressed a market need, but they didn't. They tried to be a me-too consumer phone that was severely crippled and is only now starting to look decent in functionality at a time when consumers will be choosing from iOS 8 and Android L devices which have hyper-levels of functionality and ecosystems.

I am not one of those people saying "WP is dead", but it sure looks aimless to me.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. The success of the 52x and 62x handsets has shown MS that the way to get into more people's hands is through budget devices. Hyundai started with the $3,995.00 Excel not to set the world on fire but just to get noticed. It took a while but I think they've reached the point where it's not seen as a desperate attempt to buy a new car for little money, they're a viable alternative to the traditional class leaders.

MS has the money and the moxie to stay on a course of market share through attrition if they choose to. They don't have 28 years as Hyundai did but you get the picture.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything except the last sentence. The success of the 52x and 62x handsets has shown MS that the way to get into more people's hands is through budget devices. Hyundai started with the $3,995.00 Excel not to set the world on fire but just to get noticed. It took a while but I think they've reached the point where it's not seen as a desperate attempt to buy a new car for little money, they're a viable alternative to the traditional class leaders.

MS has the money and the moxie to stay on a course of market share through attrition if they choose to. They don't have 28 years as Hyundai did but you get the picture.

The Hyundai example falls apart due to the subsidy model for smartphones in the US. If I'm going to pay $1500 for a smartphone plan over 24 months, why not splurge $199for an super deluxe iPhone instead of $49 for some budget Android/WP? That's the calculation most US consumers are making and that's why Apple has a unique market share here. Take away the subsidy model and it's totally different if you have to pay $650 to $850 for an iPhone up front. However the same dynamic applies to Samsung Galaxy S and Note devices which would be too expensive without the subsidies.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Except WP are in general of quality and have resale value, unlike Hyundai.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I know it's a good thing... They wish MS would kill WP... but not going to happen... I see WP surpassing both of them at the rate they are going. iOS is stagnant and Google is moving forward but slower then MS. It also looks like 'L' is strikingly similar color layout as WP... Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...

Where do you get your false information from?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Except WP are in general of quality and have resale value, unlike Hyundai.

I just purchased a 920 in mint shape for less than $100. That's 20% of its original price. I wouldn't exactly call that investment material. Look in Swappa.com or eBay and you'll see what I mean.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Hyundai example falls apart due to the subsidy model for smartphones in the US. If I'm going to pay $1500 for a smartphone plan over 24 months, why not splurge $199for an super deluxe iPhone instead of $49 for some budget Android/WP? That's the calculation most US consumers are making and that's why Apple has a unique market share here. Take away the subsidy model and it's totally different if you have to pay $650 to $850 for an iPhone up front. However the same dynamic applies to Samsung Galaxy S and Note devices which would be too expensive without the subsidies.

I didn't consider the subsidy aspect in my statement. I was just illustrating how newcomers, and WP is a Johnny-come-lately to this shindig, have to pay their dues to get their foot in the door. Hyundai had to break the 1-2 punch of the Camry and Accord and they have. It took decades, but they did.

The L920 was $99 on AT&T. That's a bargain no matter how you slice it but ever since the un-carrier made subsidies optional, the purchase price becomes a sticking point. Pay more monthly for a subsidized phone that you may or may not like for the next 2 years or buy a 520 straight up for $59 and pocket the savings. Think of the Hyundai example for a minute. You're shopping for a new phone and you know what you're getting with an iPhone or Galaxy but you're not sure you want to pay full price and have lower monthlies or pay the subsidized rate. Option B is a Windows Phone that you've never heard of but it's very inexpensive. You give it a go and you're wowed by the experience. A year later you might go for a 1020 or 1520.

Based on the example I just wrote, you can conclude that the Lumia Excel did its job. Now MS needs to make sure they don't f**k up and end up like Yugo. BTW, the Yugo GV and Hyundai Excel debuted in the US at the same time in 1986.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
microsoft actually is playing nice at starting (providing onedrive and office to other platform)

Bad move by Nadella, Since I don't blame MS for it he is just a bad leader. If they give all of there services to everyone what is the driving force for anyone to get a Nokia or Surface device. I really don't see the other's playing nice unless forced too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
microsoft actually is playing nice at starting (providing onedrive and office to other platform)

Do you really think they're doing it to be nice? They're doing it because they feel that it will provide more profit than not doing it would.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a 920 in mint shape for less than $100. That's 20% of its original price. I wouldn't exactly call that investment material. Look in Swappa.com or eBay and you'll see what I mean.
Sorry just a Hyundai poke. I get your example just horrid quality cars.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft is not putting applications like Outlook, OneDrive, Office, OneNote, Skype on the other platforms to be nice, they are doing it because it is good business. MS wants individuals and corporations to use their services (MS makes 99% of their money off services) so they have to put their apps that link to their services on the other platforms to stay relevant. Desktop is slowing moving towards a lower plateau where Windows will no longer be the dominant platform in the world. In fact, in terms of devices (desktop, laptop, tablets, phones) worldwide Microsoft only has 14% total devices even while it still has 90% of the desktops. There is still plenty of growth left in mobile devices. The need for desktops is limited and the CPU power required to power a desktop continues to go down so people are keeping their desktops longer (in fact, when Windows XP hit end of life there were still 400 Million people running XP despite the security risks). Apple doesn't put their applications (Facetime, iMessage, etc) on anybodies' platform and Google is not inclined to help out Microsoft by putting their apps on Windows Phone.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I know it's a good thing... They wish MS would kill WP... but not going to happen... I see WP surpassing both of them at the rate they are going. iOS is stagnant and Google is moving forward but slower then MS. It also looks like 'L' is strikingly similar color layout as WP... Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...
It's nice to see you being optimistic about Windows Phone's growth and having used Windows Phone for quite some months, I too do not not want it to perish.

However Windows Phone isn't having very substantial growth. Android and iOS growth has slowed down over the years because majority of smartphone owners own either an Android or iPhone, so obviously it slows down.

Windows Phone's growth fluctuates every now and then sometimes falling and sometimes rising, my opinion(and most experts agree) is that Windows Phone might establish itself as a sold third place OS but will likely never surpass Android or iOS.

As far as Cortana vs Siri and Google Now goes, Cortana absolutely crushes both of them in accuracy and features, most times.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's nice to see you being optimistic about Windows Phone's growth and having used Windows Phone for quite some months, I too do not not want it to perish.

However Windows Phone isn't having very substantial growth. Android and iOS growth has slowed down over the years because majority of smartphone owners own either an Android or iPhone, so obviously it slows down.

Windows Phone's growth fluctuates every now and then sometimes falling and sometimes rising, my opinion(and most experts agree) is that Windows Phone might establish itself as a sold third place OS but will likely never surpass Android or iOS.

As far as Cortana vs Siri and Google Now goes, Cortana absolutely crushes both of them in accuracy and features, most times.

Your right, (at the moment). Considering how fast WP has grown compared to Android and iOS being they are still the newcomer I can see growth accelerating as the OS becomes more polished and Cortana get's more interactive. iOS is to proprietary and Android is becoming bloated, buggy, and since google is the leader in Android experience given the fact that there is not privacy in google, people will migrate towards something new and different. Plus MS now offers WP Free for all devices below 8" so I can see more manufactures jumping on that bandwagon too...

Let's hope MS keeps up the development and keeps making the Lumia Line.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Your right, (at the moment). Considering how fast WP has grown compared to Android and iOS being they are still the newcomer I can see growth accelerating as the OS becomes more polished and Cortana get's more interactive. iOS is to proprietary and Android is becoming bloated, buggy, and since google is the leader in Android experience given the fact that there is not privacy in google, people will migrate towards something new and different. Plus MS now offers WP Free for all devices below 8" so I can see more manufactures jumping on that bandwagon too...

Let's hope MS keeps up the development and keeps making the Lumia Line.
First of all a major reason why people wouldn't switch to Android was because of the massive amount of misinformation and myths that we're around, and the situation is the same with Windows Phone.

You go on to mention that Android is becoming bloated and buggy, it's quite the opposite. Google allows you to disable carrier bloatware and with further iterations of Android the number of bugs is reducing, being an Android user at the moment I have barely had any apps crash during my time of use.

You are a person on the WPCentral forums and you seem to be quite knowledge, yet you believe in myths about Android so just imagine the amount of myths a regular person would believe? These myths are the reason why people hesitate trying Android and Windows Phone.

Moving on, Android has never been the best at privacy but over the years they have improved. I've also noticed that a lot of the people around me, including myself, have never really cared if we are being spied on by the intelligence agencies, of course none of us are terrorists, so why worry? So privacy isn't a reason why people would make the switch.

In addition to this the Google Play Store does offer some pretty unique encrypted services for secure messages and phone calls, so for those privacy freaks Android does have the solution. And for people who worry too much, there is a Custom ROM on Android called Cyanogenmod allowing for even greater encryption services.

Moving on, again.

A lesson my teacher in advertising class taught me, and you might disagree, but she said that either an ad had to be really really good or really really bad for people to remember it, there is no in-between. I partly agree with her and I'll explain why.

Android offers a lot customisation, iOS offers simplicity whereas Windows Phone is the best of both worlds, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on Microsoft's strategy.

Oh and because of the advanced API and SDK of Android it allows for apps to be way more advanced and functional.

To sum this up:

iOS apps are probably the most stable and beautiful.

Android apps have the most features while sometimes lacking in design and/or stability.

Windows Phone lacks a few required apps and not a whole lot can be said about the apps that are there which are often behind Android/iOS counterparts. But Windows Phone apps do have a nice UI, most times.

Microsoft itself doesn't think Windows Phone will became more popular than Android or iOS, so no point of us really having hope either. However Microsoft itself is trying to make WP a solid third place OS.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
First of all a major reason why people wouldn't switch to Android was because of the massive amount of misinformation and myths that we're around, and the situation is the same with Windows Phone.

You go on to mention that Android is becoming bloated and buggy, it's quite the opposite. Google allows you to disable carrier bloatware and with further iterations of Android the number of bugs is reducing, being an Android user at the moment I have barely had any apps crash during my time of use.

You are a person on the WPCentral forums and you seem to be quite knowledge, yet you believe in myths about Android so just imagine the amount of myths a regular person would believe? These myths are the reason why people hesitate trying Android and Windows Phone.

Moving on, Android has never been the best at privacy but over the years they have improved. I've also noticed that a lot of the people around me, including myself, have never really cared if we are being spied on by the intelligence agencies, of course none of us are terrorists, so why worry? So privacy isn't a reason why people would make the switch.

In addition to this the Google Play Store does offer some pretty unique encrypted services for secure messages and phone calls, so for those privacy freaks Android does have the solution. And for people who worry too much, there is a Custom ROM on Android called Cyanogenmod allowing for even greater encryption services.

Moving on, again.

A lesson my teacher in advertising class taught me, and you might disagree, but she said that either an ad had to be really really good or really really bad for people to remember it, there is no in-between. I partly agree with her and I'll explain why.

Android offers a lot customisation, iOS offers simplicity whereas Windows Phone is the best of both worlds, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on Microsoft's strategy.

Oh and because of the advanced API and SDK of Android it allows for apps to be way more advanced and functional.

To sum this up:

iOS apps are probably the most stable and beautiful.

Android apps have the most features while sometimes lacking in design and/or stability.

Windows Phone lacks a few required apps and not a whole lot can be said about the apps that are there which are often behind Android/iOS counterparts. But Windows Phone apps do have a nice UI, most times.

Microsoft itself doesn't think Windows Phone will became more popular than Android or iOS, so no point of us really having hope either. However Microsoft itself is trying to make WP a solid third place OS.

When was the last time you had a stability problem with Android, and what caused it? What app was it if it was app related? The only time I've had any issues, was when I flashed the first release of Android L, but that was to be expected. I've had a lot of games go buggy on my 920 the past few months, I know that..

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
When was the last time you had a stability problem with Android, and what caused it? What app was it if it was app related? The only time I've had any issues, was when I flashed the first release of Android L, but that was to be expected. I've had a lot of games go buggy on my 920 the past few months, I know that..

gu9y6a3y.jpg

There is this app my little brother likes playing on my phone called Amatuer Surgeson 3(abbreviated Surgeon3) crashed a few times during launch, but that's pretty much the only app that has ever crashed.

I remember in the past, having owned a Xperia S that back in 2012 Android had some pretty serious crashing bugs to work out. But now it's very very stable.

But I really hate it when people spread myths about any OS.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mary Jo Foley just stated Surface has lost $1.7 billion since inception. XBox has lost billions. MS Stores have probably lost a billion dollars too. I guess as long as Windows/Office/Azure keep bringing in the cash, they'll continue flogging those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb