Here's A Compelling Case For Killing Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Here's A Case For Killing Windows Phone - Business Insider

Obviously they are scared of MS... iOS/Android Fan Boys and Girls!!!
If you read the full article you'll realize it was actually good. They aren't fanboys. If windows phone didn't exist. Apple and android could just block out Microsoft services like one note and office and replace them with things like pages, google docs and Evernote. Windows Phone must exist or Microsoft will perish. However they did say that microsoft's earnings just keep chugging along ;)

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I know it's a good thing... They wish MS would kill WP... but not going to happen... I see WP surpassing both of them at the rate they are going. iOS is stagnant and Google is moving forward but slower then MS. It also looks like 'L' is strikingly similar color layout as WP... Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will not perish as some have stated in this thread. IF, and that's a big if, Windows Phone were to go of the way of the Dodo bird, it would impact only a very small portion of its operations. Their bread and butter is the enterprise sector and having a mobile platform is just a way to expand their footing. Apple only has a paltry 5% of the worldwide user base, and they're the only real competition (no offense to Linux).

Android is just a pimple on Microsoft's a** and will remain that way unless they manage to develop a desktop OS that somehow leap-frogs OS X, not to mention coming up with an answer to Windows Server.

Sorry guys, at least David had a slingshot to slay Goliath. Google only has Tic Tacs to throw at Castle Redmond. Their newest secret weapon: water balloons.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

There's no doubt Android is having everybody's lunch but quoting shipped units is really meaningless. Units sold is the only real measure and even then the numbers can be off kilter. Germany is buying 10,000 BlackBerry handsets. Is that going to show up in the quarterlies as a sign of increasing demand? No, but Chen will spin it as so.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There's no doubt Android is having everybody's lunch but quoting shipped units is really meaningless. Units sold is the only real measure and even then the numbers can be off kilter. Germany is buying 10,000 BlackBerry handsets. Is that going to show up in the quarterlies as a sign of increasing demand? No, but Chen will spin it as so.

I wonder what the difference is between shipped & sold. Either way, if stock doesn't rise, the numbers should be roughly the same. If Vendor X had 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q2, and 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q3, and sold 50,000 units, he sold the same number shipped to him, even if the ones actually shipped to him in Q3 are not sold.

Also, don't all manufacturers, with the possible exception of Apple, give numbers shipped?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the difference is between shipped & sold. Either way, if stock doesn't rise, the numbers should be roughly the same. If Vendor X had 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q2, and 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q3, and sold 50,000 units, he sold the same number shipped to him, even if the ones actually shipped to him in Q3 are not sold.

Also, don't all manufacturers, with the possible exception of Apple, give numbers shipped?

There are quite a few off-brands flooding the market with cheap Androids (Blu, Yezz, iPro to name a few) and I'm not sure they're reporting. Obviously they're reporting IMEI numbers to the FCC but that's probably the extent. A good number of those are being sold on feeBay and Amazon so who knows what actual sales numbers look like.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are quite a few off-brands flooding the market with cheap Androids (Blu, Yezz, iPro to name a few) and I'm not sure they're reporting. Obviously they're reporting IMEI numbers to the FCC but that's probably the extent. A good number of those are being sold on feeBay and Amazon so who knows what actual sales numbers look like.

Yes you're correct. We really have no way of knowing. If all manufacturers are reporting the same way, it shouldn't make a big difference in the overall numbers. Apple used to say that they reported units sold unlike the rest, but IIRC that was debunked or at least questioned.

I don't know what actual stock numbers are worldwide, but if there are say 20,000,000 in stock at the beginning of Q2, and the same in stock at the beginning of Q3, then devices sold = devices shipped. The variable could be if say WP stock dropped but Android rose. However, I doubt that the numbers change significantly.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The argument to Scoble's opinion is that Microsoft will never be a market leader in Android either. It was valid when Nokia chose not to go Android, and it works equally well with Microsoft. While there is AOSP, Android as almost everybody understands it, is the Google authorized version. How would Microsoft differentiate themselves in that market any more than they do now? They would be an increasingly insubstantial splinter in the Android world.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If microsoft just made their own apps exclusive to windows and windows phone then there would be something huge that the competitors don't have however microsoft are so generous nowadays, it's really weird.

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
If microsoft just made their own apps exclusive to windows and windows phone then there would be something huge that the competitors don't have however microsoft are so generous nowadays, it's really weird.

I understand what you mean.
But, its not so weird if you think that MS controls 90% of PC ecosystems. But in larger device market (computers, tablets, phones, servers...) MS have only 14% share. If MS stop supporting other platforms, there is a huge risk it will face its own end in very short time. For casual consumer there is almost none MS product that cant be replaced with some competitive product.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you mean.
But, its not so weird if you think that MS controls 90% of PC ecosystems. But in larger device market (computers, tablets, phones, servers...) MS have only 14% share. If MS stop supporting other platforms, there is a huge risk it will face its own end in very short time. For casual consumer there is almost none MS product that cant be replaced with some competitive product.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

You seem to believe that the consumer market is the big piece of the pie. IBM got completely out of the personal computing arena and they've done pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3