08-18-2014 11:30 AM
104 123 ...
tools
    Here's A Case For Killing Windows Phone - Business Insider

Obviously they are scared of MS... iOS/Android Fan Boys and Girls!!!
    07-30-2014 07:20 PM
    Here's A Case For Killing Windows Phone - Business Insider

Obviously they are scared of MS... iOS/Android Fan Boys and Girls!!!
    If you read the full article you'll realize it was actually good. They aren't fanboys. If windows phone didn't exist. Apple and android could just block out Microsoft services like one note and office and replace them with things like pages, google docs and Evernote. Windows Phone must exist or Microsoft will perish. However they did say that microsoft's earnings just keep chugging along ;)
    07-30-2014 07:34 PM
    I know it's a good thing... They wish MS would kill WP... but not going to happen... I see WP surpassing both of them at the rate they are going. iOS is stagnant and Google is moving forward but slower then MS. It also looks like 'L' is strikingly similar color layout as WP... Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...
    Guytronic, JamesPTao and Jazmac like this.
    07-30-2014 08:15 PM
    Microsoft will not perish as some have stated in this thread. IF, and that's a big if, Windows Phone were to go of the way of the Dodo bird, it would impact only a very small portion of its operations. Their bread and butter is the enterprise sector and having a mobile platform is just a way to expand their footing. Apple only has a paltry 5% of the worldwide user base, and they're the only real competition (no offense to Linux).

Android is just a pimple on Microsoft's a** and will remain that way unless they manage to develop a desktop OS that somehow leap-frogs OS X, not to mention coming up with an answer to Windows Server.

Sorry guys, at least David had a slingshot to slay Goliath. Google only has Tic Tacs to throw at Castle Redmond. Their newest secret weapon: water balloons.
    07-30-2014 08:42 PM
    Google is moving forward but slower then MS.
    Windows Phone growth is actually stalled right now.
    The One-Horse Race: 85% Of The 300M Smartphones Shipped In Q2 Were Android | TechCrunch
    07-31-2014 04:05 AM
    Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...
    Cortana is better than Google Now, as it cannot speak back. Also, Google Now does little verification compared to Cortana and keeps assuming.
    07-31-2014 04:45 AM
    There's no doubt Android is having everybody's lunch but quoting shipped units is really meaningless. Units sold is the only real measure and even then the numbers can be off kilter. Germany is buying 10,000 BlackBerry handsets. Is that going to show up in the quarterlies as a sign of increasing demand? No, but Chen will spin it as so.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Guytronic likes this.
    07-31-2014 09:43 AM
    microsoft actually is playing nice at starting (providing onedrive and office to other platform)
    07-31-2014 10:04 AM
    There's no doubt Android is having everybody's lunch but quoting shipped units is really meaningless. Units sold is the only real measure and even then the numbers can be off kilter. Germany is buying 10,000 BlackBerry handsets. Is that going to show up in the quarterlies as a sign of increasing demand? No, but Chen will spin it as so.
    I wonder what the difference is between shipped & sold. Either way, if stock doesn't rise, the numbers should be roughly the same. If Vendor X had 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q2, and 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q3, and sold 50,000 units, he sold the same number shipped to him, even if the ones actually shipped to him in Q3 are not sold.

Also, don't all manufacturers, with the possible exception of Apple, give numbers shipped?
    07-31-2014 10:16 AM
    I wonder what the difference is between shipped & sold. Either way, if stock doesn't rise, the numbers should be roughly the same. If Vendor X had 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q2, and 50,000 units in stock at the beginning of Q3, and sold 50,000 units, he sold the same number shipped to him, even if the ones actually shipped to him in Q3 are not sold.

Also, don't all manufacturers, with the possible exception of Apple, give numbers shipped?
    There are quite a few off-brands flooding the market with cheap Androids (Blu, Yezz, iPro to name a few) and I'm not sure they're reporting. Obviously they're reporting IMEI numbers to the FCC but that's probably the extent. A good number of those are being sold on feeBay and Amazon so who knows what actual sales numbers look like.

tgp and Guytronic like this.
    07-31-2014 11:03 AM
    The cheap Android phones aren't worth a dime compared to the budget Lamias'
    carlos12001 likes this.
    07-31-2014 11:14 AM
    There are quite a few off-brands flooding the market with cheap Androids (Blu, Yezz, iPro to name a few) and I'm not sure they're reporting. Obviously they're reporting IMEI numbers to the FCC but that's probably the extent. A good number of those are being sold on feeBay and Amazon so who knows what actual sales numbers look like.
    Yes you're correct. We really have no way of knowing. If all manufacturers are reporting the same way, it shouldn't make a big difference in the overall numbers. Apple used to say that they reported units sold unlike the rest, but IIRC that was debunked or at least questioned.

I don't know what actual stock numbers are worldwide, but if there are say 20,000,000 in stock at the beginning of Q2, and the same in stock at the beginning of Q3, then devices sold = devices shipped. The variable could be if say WP stock dropped but Android rose. However, I doubt that the numbers change significantly.
    fatclue_98 and Guytronic like this.
    07-31-2014 11:17 AM
    The cheap Android phones aren't worth a dime compared to the budget Lamias'
    And you know this because?

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Guytronic and tgp like this.
    07-31-2014 01:13 PM
    And you know this because?
    It's not a smartphone at all.

Lamia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-31-2014 01:46 PM
    The argument to Scoble's opinion is that Microsoft will never be a market leader in Android either. It was valid when Nokia chose not to go Android, and it works equally well with Microsoft. While there is AOSP, Android as almost everybody understands it, is the Google authorized version. How would Microsoft differentiate themselves in that market any more than they do now? They would be an increasingly insubstantial splinter in the Android world.
    07-31-2014 02:04 PM
    It's not a smartphone at all.

Lamia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That's ignorant. I saw it but I didn't want to be a schoolmarm. :-)

07-31-2014 02:42 PM
    If microsoft just made their own apps exclusive to windows and windows phone then there would be something huge that the competitors don't have however microsoft are so generous nowadays, it's really weird.
    08-02-2014 03:52 AM
    If microsoft just made their own apps exclusive to windows and windows phone then there would be something huge that the competitors don't have however microsoft are so generous nowadays, it's really weird.
    I understand what you mean.
    But, its not so weird if you think that MS controls 90% of PC ecosystems. But in larger device market (computers, tablets, phones, servers...) MS have only 14% share. If MS stop supporting other platforms, there is a huge risk it will face its own end in very short time. For casual consumer there is almost none MS product that cant be replaced with some competitive product.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-02-2014 04:58 AM
    I understand what you mean.
    But, its not so weird if you think that MS controls 90% of PC ecosystems. But in larger device market (computers, tablets, phones, servers...) MS have only 14% share. If MS stop supporting other platforms, there is a huge risk it will face its own end in very short time. For casual consumer there is almost none MS product that cant be replaced with some competitive product.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    You seem to believe that the consumer market is the big piece of the pie. IBM got completely out of the personal computing arena and they've done pretty good.

JamesPTao likes this.
    08-02-2014 07:27 AM
    08-02-2014 10:26 AM
    I don't think it's valid to compare WP with OS X in terms of trajectory. Remember that OS X was considered a breath of fresh air in a Windows-dominated world. A brand new OS with pretty graphics, no viruses, easy to use with lifestyle applications(iLife) and professional applications(Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop). OS X was answering a market need.

Which market need is WP answering exactly? If MS had engineering WP to be enterprise ready in 2010 with all the enterprise bells and whistles(Exchange, VPN, TFS, Sharepoint integration) that would have addressed a market need, but they didn't. They tried to be a me-too consumer phone that was severely crippled and is only now starting to look decent in functionality at a time when consumers will be choosing from iOS 8 and Android L devices which have hyper-levels of functionality and ecosystems.

I am not one of those people saying "WP is dead", but it sure looks aimless to me.
    fatclue_98 and Dazzi like this.
    08-02-2014 02:10 PM
    I don't think it's valid to compare WP with OS X in terms of trajectory. Remember that OS X was considered a breath of fresh air in a Windows-dominated world. A brand new OS with pretty graphics, no viruses, easy to use with lifestyle applications(iLife) and professional applications(Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop). OS X was answering a market need.

Which market need is WP answering exactly? If MS had engineering WP to be enterprise ready in 2010 with all the enterprise bells and whistles(Exchange, VPN, TFS, Sharepoint integration) that would have addressed a market need, but they didn't. They tried to be a me-too consumer phone that was severely crippled and is only now starting to look decent in functionality at a time when consumers will be choosing from iOS 8 and Android L devices which have hyper-levels of functionality and ecosystems.

I am not one of those people saying "WP is dead", but it sure looks aimless to me.
    I agree with everything except the last sentence. The success of the 52x and 62x handsets has shown MS that the way to get into more people's hands is through budget devices. Hyundai started with the $3,995.00 Excel not to set the world on fire but just to get noticed. It took a while but I think they've reached the point where it's not seen as a desperate attempt to buy a new car for little money, they're a viable alternative to the traditional class leaders.

MS has the money and the moxie to stay on a course of market share through attrition if they choose to. They don't have 28 years as Hyundai did but you get the picture.
    smoledman likes this.
    08-02-2014 02:35 PM
    I agree with everything except the last sentence. The success of the 52x and 62x handsets has shown MS that the way to get into more people's hands is through budget devices. Hyundai started with the $3,995.00 Excel not to set the world on fire but just to get noticed. It took a while but I think they've reached the point where it's not seen as a desperate attempt to buy a new car for little money, they're a viable alternative to the traditional class leaders.

MS has the money and the moxie to stay on a course of market share through attrition if they choose to. They don't have 28 years as Hyundai did but you get the picture.
    The Hyundai example falls apart due to the subsidy model for smartphones in the US. If I'm going to pay $1500 for a smartphone plan over 24 months, why not splurge $199for an super deluxe iPhone instead of $49 for some budget Android/WP? That's the calculation most US consumers are making and that's why Apple has a unique market share here. Take away the subsidy model and it's totally different if you have to pay $650 to $850 for an iPhone up front. However the same dynamic applies to Samsung Galaxy S and Note devices which would be too expensive without the subsidies.
    08-02-2014 03:55 PM

Except WP are in general of quality and have resale value, unlike Hyundai.
    08-02-2014 04:37 PM
    I know it's a good thing... They wish MS would kill WP... but not going to happen... I see WP surpassing both of them at the rate they are going. iOS is stagnant and Google is moving forward but slower then MS. It also looks like 'L' is strikingly similar color layout as WP... Cortana is already better then Siri and will surpass Google now as well...
    Where do you get your false information from?

08-02-2014 04:57 PM
104 123 ...