08-05-2014 03:14 PM
78 1234
tools
    An interesting observation made last week here in the UK, at both O2 stores I visited both sales guys were rocking WPs and were singing the OS's praises. That's a notable shift in my experience from twelve months ago.
    jleebiker likes this.
    08-03-2014 02:01 PM
    Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share.
    Do you know what the greatest ever successful sales pitch in the US is?
    "We are selling a lot of these..."

Way too many of my fellow Americans need to feel loved and in with the "in" crowd. There are more kids with apple phones than all other brands put together. It is a peer pressure thing an not a functionality, features or value issue.

I have an Android (Moto X - Developers) and it is only used as a controller for Chromecast to the TV. It no longer even has a SIM. My amazing $104, unlocked 520 powers the household (2-TV + 3-Tablets) for the Internet with an unlimited Talk/Text/Data package for 60-bucks a month. Currently we are running at around 98GBof Data per month.

Only more and more people will see the benefits of WP, especially with the attention msoft is lavishing on WP8.1

It has the apple-fan-boys worried. :)
    Tjarren likes this.
    08-03-2014 02:11 PM
    Who buys a phone based on market shares ? None that I know,however,the market share is used as a gauge to see how well something is doing correct? Then market share has a direct collation to wither people in general are buying them,and if they are making profit. If people stop buying them,just how long certain phones or the whole division do you think remain alive with how things are being done these days at Microsoft?

Now,if Microsoft does what most large corporations do after buying out a company,and if sales continue to fall,how long do you think Microsoft will produce phones on it's own without resorting to other vendors? If the other vendors phones don't turn around the sales and the market share continues to fall.....where is the cut off point ?

The bottom line is the only thing that matters to the company and it's share holders,not what anyone here thinks.
    Market share may not matter to the individual user, it does matter to developers because they want to make applications to a large audience so they can make money OR if it is not to make money that a large proportion of their customers have a particular Phone OS. As long as WP in the US is in the low single digits it is going to be harder and harder to convince developers to build and MAINTAIN their applications. It also matters in the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) trend in enterprise because IT wants to support as few platforms as it can and if their employees are 50% iOS and 46% Android and 4% Windows Phone they may just tell their employees that only iOS and Android are supported. Also, if you go into businesses you will see a big sign that says "Get our iOS/Android app".
    08-03-2014 02:13 PM
    If Microsoft put more emphasis in quick upgrades to the latest OS, bypassing the carriers like the iPhone does. WP could be even more attractive to all users. I still love my 1520 but I hate the fact that we are at the mercy of AT&T.
    Actually, while on the tech sites (like this one) everyone seems to know what version of the OS they're on. Go to the average person in the street and ask them what version of iOS, Android or WP they are on and 99% of the people don't know and couldn't care less. So, the quick updates of Windows Phone or iOS isn't really a selling point because most people don't care as long as their phone runs the apps they need it to. Also, while most fans of Android "hate" the OEM Skins/Bloatware there are a lot of people that stay with Samsung because Touchwiz has features that they like.
    08-03-2014 02:22 PM
    I look at it simplistically. I have a Lumia 1520 Cyan. I keep an eye on the latest releases. I recently bought my son a nice HTC One M8 running Android. I keep my partners' Iphones updated and functional at work, as well as assorted Blackberries (including my own Z30). The plain fact is there is no phone currently on the market, and none with the exception of the impending Blackberry Passport, that I have the slightest enviable inclination towards. There are still some things (principally email, attachments and multitasking) that Blackberry does better than everyone else. Yet my interest in the Passport is almost purely form-factor driven. I have come to really like the Windows Phone UI and OS. If they can continue to bring the functionality along, there will be no question for me which is the preferred platform. Microsoft seems committed to WP and desktop convergence in an orderly function. It seems to me that there is more at stake in that than simply smartphone unit short or even long-term profitability. So I figure WP is around for the long haul, and I am grateful and encouraged.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-03-2014 02:26 PM
    Do you know what the greatest ever successful sales pitch in the US is?
    "We are selling a lot of these..."

Way too many of my fellow Americans need to feel loved and in with the "in" crowd. There are more kids with apple phones than all other brands put together. It is a peer pressure thing an not a functionality, features or value issue.

I have an Android (Moto X - Developers) and it is only used as a controller for Chromecast to the TV. It no longer even has a SIM. My amazing $104, unlocked 520 powers the household (2-TV + 3-Tablets) for the Internet with an unlimited Talk/Text/Data package for 60-bucks a month. Currently we are running at around 98GBof Data per month.

Only more and more people will see the benefits of WP, especially with the attention msoft is lavishing on WP8.1

It has the apple-fan-boys worried. :)
    Neither Apple or Google is really concerned about about WP. There is not enough market share for WP and neither competitor will EVER put their applications on Windows Phone. If I'm an iOS or Android user I actually have BETTER experience on Microsoft services (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office,etc) than you do on a Windows Phone. As long as that is true (and it will remain true as long as iOS and Android have dominant market shares) you will not see iOS or Android apps supported on Windows Phone. And for those of you who hate Google for not putting their apps on Windows Phone should know that if the positions were reversed Microsoft would do the same thing to Apple/Google if they could get away with it (see Microsoft Anti Trust circa 1998-1999).
    Visa Declined and dgr_874 like this.
    08-03-2014 02:28 PM
    I think its not only the Americans, its us humans. We are group animals, we like to feel to be part of a bigger group, feel loved if you will :D

Naturally at some point there will be change however. iPhone X comes and someone yawns, the next guy yawns also, soon the whole groups yawns and they are all gone in a second. Weve seen this happen in the mobile space before and it will happen again, Im sure. Could take a lot of time though, even 5 years or something. Hope MS keeps pushing as long as it needs!

If I'm an iOS or Android user I actually have BETTER experience on Microsoft services (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office,etc) than you do on a Windows Phone.
    Is that really so? I only had the Galaxy S for few months and never an iDevice. I got furious when all my contacts etc was synced to Google's servers even though I did ALL possible to disable syncing to Google and sync all my data via cable locally.
    08-03-2014 03:05 PM
    A few years ago I was sold on windows phone 7. I would've upgraded to it if I didn't already have my palm pixi. Which was also a good phone.
    08-03-2014 03:17 PM
    This unassailable, impregnable market is only 7 years old, so far as Apple and younger than that so far as Google. Things can change rapidly and both leaders have veracious, greedy appetites. It's not as if developing for the market leaders is a free pass to riches. A &G want it all and feel they are entitled to a premium for the share they earned and don't like to share their wealth. I think everyone would be better off with 3 or 4 app alternatives. It's possible that developers would welcome additional outlets, once critical mass is reached, rather than be competing with a million developers, each subject to A & G's imperious demands.
    08-03-2014 03:46 PM
    Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share. Not because of the numbers, but because what they have around them = Market share. Their friends and co-workers show them "how good" their devices are and what they can do with them. Then people go and buy the same devices, without really finding out for themselves about whats best for them.
    Actually I am not. As I said those whom I know don't buy based on market share.

What their friends and family members use is not what the market share of the device may actually be at the moment.

The platforms survival depends entirely on the bottom line. If it remains profitable, it will continue, if it doesn't, it won't be justifiable.

I think it will survive perhaps not like it is, or with as many phones or with Microsoft actually building them, but it will survive in some form.
    08-03-2014 04:10 PM
    Is that really so? I only had the Galaxy S for few months and never an iDevice. I got furious when all my contacts etc was synced to Google's servers even though I did ALL possible to disable syncing to Google and sync all my data via cable locally.
    Set your Microsoft account as your corporate email, and you can sync everything directly to it(bypassing Google). My Nexus 5 is a better Microsoft phone than my 920, all of my Microsoft apps are awesome on it, it's crazy. I have an HP wireless printer in my den, and I can't tell you how handy it is to print documents and photos directly from my phone.

jcjdjnf.jpg
    Loco5150 likes this.
    08-03-2014 04:36 PM
    Once we get Facebook made by Facebook I will start taking Windows Phone seriously. Util then is just another Blackberry. And I worked for them for 3 years.
    08-03-2014 04:58 PM
    I look at it simplistically. I have a Lumia 1520 Cyan. I keep an eye on the latest releases. I recently bought my son a nice HTC One M8 running Android. I keep my partners' Iphones updated and functional at work, as well as assorted Blackberries (including my own Z30). The plain fact is there is no phone currently on the market, and none with the exception of the impending Blackberry Passport, that I have the slightest enviable inclination towards. There are still some things (principally email, attachments and multitasking) that Blackberry does better than everyone else. Yet my interest in the Passport is almost purely form-factor driven. I have come to really like the Windows Phone UI and OS. If they can continue to bring the functionality along, there will be no question for me which is the preferred platform. Microsoft seems committed to WP and desktop convergence in an orderly function. It seems to me that there is more at stake in that than simply smartphone unit short or even long-term profitability. So I figure WP is around for the long haul, and I am grateful and encouraged.
    If they can get MS Enterprise really in sync with the WP there will be a whole lot of moving to the WP platform.
    08-03-2014 05:19 PM
    Yes
    08-03-2014 07:50 PM
    Windows Phone is struggling (it's not dead!) because of Google's hoarding. There's no official GMail app. And other services they have including YouTube (although MetroTube SLAUGHTERS the official Youtube app on my Android device so I have no complaints). They only have official apps for their flop services like Google+ that nobody uses.

I really don't have anything to say about Apple because I don't use much of their services except for iTunes which syncs to my WP flawlessly.

Google is threatened and they know very well that if they start to give WP a pass on their official apps, a considerable chunk of their market share would eventually go to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is currently a big threat to Android in the lower segment of the market with the 520 single handedly outpacing sales of their entry level devices. What more if Google allows their services to be officially available on Windows Phone? It's unfair but that's business. This is now where Microsoft should make extra effort. Google wouldn't kneel down to their feet, they should know that.

Windows Phone is an eye-catcher. It's definitely not ugly, the problem is the ecosystem which is 10x better than last year but still lacking. That's the biggest drawback.

I applaud Microsoft still exerting effort on Windows Phone. It really amuses me that the OS keeps on getting better even without the support of some developers and of Google. A little more, MS. Just a little more.. we're almost there. Almost.

And about Microsoft's apps looking "better" on other platforms, I don't want to sound delusional but I know they are doing this for a good purpose. Also, the UI of Skype, Outlook and Office doesn't look bad.. It fits the Metro design very well. It's not like MS apps on WP are completely rubbish.. They work and are stable. Although I believe Skype needs a little more tweaking.

With that said, I'm very happy with Windows Phone and will surely be supporting them until they stop supporting their consumers

​(PS Xbox music sucks, please fix it ASAP) =)
    08-03-2014 11:56 PM
    Windows Phone is currently a big threat to Android in the lower segment of the market with the 520 single handedly outpacing sales of their entry level devices.
    Moto G helps Motorola race ahead of Nokia in smartphone sales - Economic Times
    08-04-2014 12:13 AM
    Windows Phone is struggling (it's not dead!) because of Google's hoarding. There's no official GMail app. And other services they have including YouTube (although MetroTube SLAUGHTERS the official Youtube app on my Android device so I have no complaints). They only have official apps for their flop services like Google+ that nobody uses.

I really don't have anything to say about Apple because I don't use much of their services except for iTunes which syncs to my WP flawlessly.

Google is threatened and they know very well that if they start to give WP a pass on their official apps, a considerable chunk of their market share would eventually go to Windows Phone. Windows Phone is currently a big threat to Android in the lower segment of the market with the 520 single handedly outpacing sales of their entry level devices. What more if Google allows their services to be officially available on Windows Phone? It's unfair but that's business. This is now where Microsoft should make extra effort. Google wouldn't kneel down to their feet, they should know that.

Windows Phone is an eye-catcher. It's definitely not ugly, the problem is the ecosystem which is 10x better than last year but still lacking. That's the biggest drawback.

I applaud Microsoft still exerting effort on Windows Phone. It really amuses me that the OS keeps on getting better even without the support of some developers and of Google. A little more, MS. Just a little more.. we're almost there. Almost.

And about Microsoft's apps looking "better" on other platforms, I don't want to sound delusional but I know they are doing this for a good purpose. Also, the UI of Skype, Outlook and Office doesn't look bad.. It fits the Metro design very well. It's not like MS apps on WP are completely rubbish.. They work and are stable. Although I believe Skype needs a little more tweaking.

With that said, I'm very happy with Windows Phone and will surely be supporting them until they stop supporting their consumers

​(PS Xbox music sucks, please fix it ASAP) =)
    Exactly
    08-04-2014 12:28 AM
    In my opinion, Windows Phones are here to stay, at least for now. Even though the OS came long after Android or iOS, it doesn't mean WP isn't revolutionary. It's original, slick and with the new update a very nice looking interface with a lot of customization. It's a system centralized around what the user wants. I doubt there's a Windows Phone that looks the same as another once you unlock it, now that you can put in pictures and add a third row of tiles.
    The only problem is exactly what many people have been saying: Microsoft isn't advertising their products. They're not getting their name out there. They're relying completely on the heresay and on the name of the company, not the product. I believe that if Microsoft focused all their energy on releasing a budget, a mid-range, a high end and a "phablet"(hate that word), and marketed their product like crazy, they could get a real foothold in the market. People like Windows Phones(well at least the majority of people who do switch), just most don't even know they exist.
    Microsoft has the design, a good solid design as well, but where's the foundation? Even people who like Windows Phones(such as my stepmom) now use Android phones because there isn't a good selection of top notch Microsoft products. I started with the 520, a good, dependable budget phone, but now I worry about the availability of high end phones. Where's the 1530? The 1030? We have the 530, the 630...so on.
    Microsoft has invested a lot into their phones. In the long run, Microsoft can really dominate, but they have to get started first. If their phones fail...Microsoft might not recover. We'd lose one of the only real interfaces for computers, a great phone OS...
    I see phenomenal potential in Microsoft, a bright future looming just out of sight. I hope Microsoft walks towards this light, I really like my phone.
    Laura Knotek and JamesPTao like this.
    08-04-2014 12:42 AM
    Its been 4 years since Windows phone came out and MS still has less than 5% market share, what does this mean ? Its that MS are clearly not putting enough effort in WP because if they would have then WP market share would have been at least 15-20%. The numbers speak for themselves.
    08-04-2014 12:58 AM
    Regarding Google's alleged "hoarding"... When will Microsoft release Office for Linux?
    08-04-2014 01:03 AM
    Microsoft can really dominate, but they have to get started first. If their phones fail...Microsoft might not recover.
    Huh? Microsoft gets their profits from software and services. By their own predictions, handset sales through their Nokia acquisition will not even become profitable until 2016..maybe.
    08-04-2014 01:18 AM
    How many people here have degrees in marketing, sales, promotions, r&d, and who here is a market analyst?
    jleebiker likes this.
    08-04-2014 09:14 AM
    How many people here have degrees in marketing, sales, promotions, r&d, and who here is a market analyst?
    If you're suggesting that people should only comment on topics when they have sufficient knowledge to understand them, we can shut down the internet.
    jharr100 likes this.
    08-04-2014 11:00 AM
    Not only that, but only people with degrees? YOU MUST ATTEND COLLEGE FOR FOUR YEARS TO ANSWER SILLY QUESTION TO STRANGER.
    I don't pretend to be an expert, but I have a lot of experience and I read a lot. But I've never gone to school to learn about how to market a phone "by the book."
    08-04-2014 09:59 PM
    both sales guys were rocking WPs
    They were what?
    08-05-2014 12:06 AM
78 1234