Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously (/s)

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I really enjoyed the article it summarized all what I've been saying about WP futures and about the pundits. And if you want assurance where MS [WP, Azure, Office, Vista and others] is heading just read what Mr. Nadella told to his crew; and I quote " This is the time to stop the criticism and do something about it" end of quote. This article just reaffirmed my though about MS future -bright-. WP is here to stay, pundits may not like it but they've been hating MS for the last 30 yrs we can't do nothing about it.
Microsoft CEO to Employees: Do Something About the Criticism

lizziej

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
And also Microsoft doesn't do good adverts in England. All they do is some tart holds the phone and talks about it...THATS IT !!! iphone actually shows you what the phone can do with apps and people go "wow" Microsoft really needs to show the world what the phone is actually capable of doing
I bbelieve the difference is English law and Microsoft have to learn how to market better there. I'm a Brit living in the US and I love the windows phone commercials - and surface too really. I saw one yesterday with an 8.1 phone showcasing Cortana to an iPhone and Siri admitting she can't do that. In the UK, such commercials aren't allowed, with the 'my brand is better than this other brand' feel. Microsoft needs to learn how to advertise their products for their own merit and not in comparison to other devices.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you on that one. But with so many iphone adverts surely it must click at Microsoft to start showing what the phone can do. Talking about the ram, processor,etc....doesn't register with some people. But when they see the phone being used in a helpful way people think "ahh that's quite cool, didn't know it can do that" and then... Another iphone sale.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

who buys phones based on market share? are you kidding? most iPhone people do. They see people with an iPhone and figure that's the way to go so they buy one. you walk into a room with 50 people and everyone is looking up, you will look up to. Its pack mentality, we naturally follow the crowd.

timppa_k

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

I think the biggest issue remains that Microsoft is answering a question nobody asked in 2010 - "do we need a 3rd smartphone platform"?

iOS - walled garden with beautiful phones, accessories, apps and content
Android - open-source OS approach with multiple app stores, dozens of handsets to choose from, huge flexibility

Let's think about te future:
Google is getting market share and soon they have 90% of the global market share. iPhone will be a small player compared to Google and they are loosing market in the future.
BUT in China it is growing lot of companies using Gogle OS. they will use a ready OS, no development costs. They will make cheap phones and they will eat Google market share as breakfast. And they will soon have 90% market share.
Third player is very important on the market. People who like a phone of iPhone or WP is more difficult to get to chinese camp even if they are very price competitiv. When somebody learn to use a different phone OS well he/she don't want to change the OS. This is a fact with iOS and WP. Android OS will be similar to every producer and to keep the market share ouside China is not so secure.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

I think the biggest issue remains that Microsoft is answering a question nobody asked in 2010 - "do we need a 3rd smartphone platform"?
Yes. And if you are a consumer who cares about competition to keep costs low, you should to.

iOS - walled garden with beautiful phones, accessories, apps and content
Android - open-source OS approach with multiple app stores, dozens of handsets to choose from, huge flexibility
iOS - Locked down zero-customizable, grossly-overpriced ecosystem that only plays well with its own ecosystem. Same static, boring, icon-laden interface which recently was refreshed after six years (whoo! Good thing Apple is so innovative) with a color palette so putrid it looks like rainbow bright's unicorn threw up all over it.

Android - Open source Frankenstein what-am-I-supposed-to-look-like UI begs for Lookout security to be loaded on it right out of the box to keep nasties away. In high need of octo-core processors to keep the jitters and fragged performance down. Maybe that's because Google is data mining you so hard that it's taking up half the CPU. I've owned Android devices from Froyo up through Jelly Bean and they all suck at performance after the first 10 months.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Yes. And if you are a consumer who cares about competition to keep costs low, you should to.

iOS - Locked down zero-customizable, grossly-overpriced ecosystem that only plays well with its own ecosystem. Same static, boring, icon-laden interface which recently was refreshed after six years (whoo! Good thing Apple is so innovative) with a color palette so putrid it looks like rainbow bright's unicorn threw up all over it.

Android - Open source Frankenstein what-am-I-supposed-to-look-like UI begs for Lookout security to be loaded on it right out of the box to keep nasties away. In high need of octo-core processors to keep the jitters and fragged performance down. Maybe that's because Google is data mining you so hard that it's taking up half the CPU. I've owned Android devices from Froyo up through Jelly Bean and they all suck at performance after the first 10 months.

bitter much?

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

My iPod's have always played well with my PCs

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

who buys phones based on market share? are you kidding? most iPhone people do. They see people with an iPhone and figure that's the way to go so they buy one. you walk into a room with 50 people and everyone is looking up, you will look up to. Its pack mentality, we naturally follow the crowd.

So you know most iPhone people to make that claim?

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Former windows phone is DOA activist tells us why the Windows Phone is dead crew should seriously consider putting several socks in it this year.

Windows Phone: Making progress and following in the footsteps of OS X | ITProPortal.com

"Microsoft should keep up the entry-level push, while courting aficionados with devices like Lumia Icon (pictured above), Lumia 930, or 1020. Windows Phone will get more respect, and Nokia will help bring it. Sure the apps go to Android and iOS first, like they did Windows a decade go. But people still bought Macs, and increasing numbers for a convergence of previously stated reasons. The only thing dead here is the zombie apocalypse of mindless smartphone users and pundits seeking to eat Windows Phone's brain"

People still bought Macs just in... USA (and maybe, Canada? =P)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I doubt anyone going into a AT&T Wireless shop circa Jan 2011 was thinking "Gosh darnit if only we had a viable 3rd smartphone platform and I so wish Microsoft would pull it off!".

Be real. I wish WP will succeed but it's looking very bad.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I doubt anyone going into a AT&T Wireless shop circa Jan 2011 was thinking "Gosh darnit if only we had a viable 3rd smartphone platform and I so wish Microsoft would pull it off!".
I didn't even know Windows Phone existed in January 2011. It wasn't until CES in January 2012 that I paid attention to it.

kavita10

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Well.. coming from BB & Android .. Yes seen and read what WP does not seem to have, but happy with the fact that I dont have to constantly worry about the lag and even running around to find a charger..

BB would always get me thru the day but there was never a single day like that with Android.. not to mention despite rooting and removing all the bloatwares still have to put up with a laggy device. I am in India and except a know quite a few people who root their devices load custom roms and yet dont complain as they always have a second device along with them.. But the vast majority still do not root their phones and really dont know what to do with the laggy droids... They keep shifting apps from int memory to the memory cards..
I still remember the day when I took my shiny new L920 to work the first question asked was "Does it lag?" & still keep getting asked the same question even after a year..I would ask a layman droid user "How often do u guys reboot your phone?" .. Ask this same question to a WP user and u know u have a winning device on your hand..

Ya ya I still hate the fact that the camera takes its own sweet time to start .. not too bothered about app gaps, a little heating from time to time and erratic battery at times.. But am still content with the apps & my phone, wouldn't go back to android even if they paid me to... Most of us use phones to stay connected and as long as WP can let me do that without having to change my phone too often am glad.. To cut it short am glad to be on WP8.1 and eagerly waiting for the GDR1 :cool:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
What I find weird is Microsoft's seriousness when it comes to their own platform.

They always shout out the slogan about Windows Phone first yet when it comes to applications about their own phone and services, Android and iOS always get more priority.

For example the Skype and Outlook.com apps are okay on Windows Phone but amazing on Android. Skype for Windows Phone doesn't even support photo sending, not to mention the massive performance issues.

Then comes outlook.com which works on Windows Phone but if you see the Android app you will find features like putting a lock on the app and a better design.

It is very hard for Microsost to get app developers to bring their apps to the Windows Phone platform and then even harder for them to ensure constant updates but when Microsoft itself doesn't offer the best possible version of their own apps on their OWN platform, who will?

Cortana is one of the only standout features of Windows Phone right now, if the decision to port it to Android and iOS comes true:

Bye, bye Windows Phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but MS did have mobile devices pre-android and IOS...so how is this a introducing a third player...they've always been a player...its just now there focus is on consumers rather than business and growing their market share...even though WP isn't there yet...look how much better the OS is getting each and everyday...just wait until its fully featured however many more years that will be...at some point there will be no features left to add to catch up... I think next major update is smooth sailing

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but MS did have mobile devices pre-android and IOS...so how is this a introducing a third player...they've always been a player...its just now there focus is on consumers rather than business and growing their market share...even though WP isn't there yet...look how much better the OS is getting each and everyday...just wait until its fully featured however many more years that will be...at some point there will be no features left to add to catch up... I think next major update is smooth sailing
At some point Windows Mobile had 18-30 percent marketshare in the U.S.
This is Microsoft's lowest point one might say

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Who buys a phone based on market shares ? None that I know,however,the market share is used as a gauge to see how well something is doing correct? Then market share has a direct collation to wither people in general are buying them,and if they are making profit. If people stop buying them,just how long certain phones or the whole division do you think remain alive with how things are being done these days at Microsoft?

Now,if Microsoft does what most large corporations do after buying out a company,and if sales continue to fall,how long do you think Microsoft will produce phones on it's own without resorting to other vendors? If the other vendors phones don't turn around the sales and the market share continues to fall.....where is the cut off point ?

The bottom line is the only thing that matters to the company and it's share holders,not what anyone here thinks.

Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share. Not because of the numbers, but because what they have around them = Market share. Their friends and co-workers show them "how good" their devices are and what they can do with them. Then people go and buy the same devices, without really finding out for themselves about whats best for them.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
What I find weird is Microsoft's seriousness when it comes to their own platform.

They always shout out the slogan about Windows Phone first yet when it comes to applications about their own phone and services, Android and iOS always get more priority.

For example the Skype and Outlook.com apps are okay on Windows Phone but amazing on Android. Skype for Windows Phone doesn't even support photo sending, not to mention the massive performance issues.

Then comes outlook.com which works on Windows Phone but if you see the Android app you will find features like putting a lock on the app and a better design.

It is very hard for Microsost to get app developers to bring their apps to the Windows Phone platform and then even harder for them to ensure constant updates but when Microsoft itself doesn't offer the best possible version of their own apps on their OWN platform, who will?

Cortana is one of the only standout features of Windows Phone right now, if the decision to port it to Android and iOS comes true:

Bye, bye Windows Phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Office and OneNote is better on iOS/Android too...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
WP has made some small gains in the last 18 months but Microsoft have made a catastrophic mistake in buying Nokia's phone business. This will massively increase the losses from their mobile division, and may threaten WP's future in the longer term, unless they can hugely increase sales, or cut it back to the bare bones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb