Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously (/s)

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

Let's think about te future:
Google is getting market share and soon they have 90% of the global market share. iPhone will be a small player compared to Google and they are loosing market in the future.
BUT in China it is growing lot of companies using Gogle OS. they will use a ready OS, no development costs. They will make cheap phones and they will eat Google market share as breakfast. And they will soon have 90% market share.
Third player is very important on the market. People who like a phone of iPhone or WP is more difficult to get to chinese camp even if they are very price competitiv. When somebody learn to use a different phone OS well he/she don't want to change the OS. This is a fact with iOS and WP. Android OS will be similar to every producer and to keep the market share ouside China is not so secure.

Actually it's those chineese companies that MS is counting on . I mean most of the new OEMs using windows phone are either chineese or indian and that's mainly because android sucks on low end . Why should microsft e happy about this ? one reason :windows phone is closed source so they can't really f*** with it and remove MS services . In a nutshell unlike google , Microsoft doesn't need to worry about chineese OEMs , it should be happy about them . Why doesn't google work more on low end or close source their OS? they tried the first , still in progress and doesn't run that decent , hey tried the second but they created as a result the LEAST populr android ever ,3.0 , and no it isn't just about it being only for tablets , it's about OEMs who got used to complete control of the OS ( for better or worse ) and who weren't ready to let go just yet. But for the smoothness and very good performance of WP on low end , and the nice features 8.1 brought to the table and the low low price of 0$ they're adopting it. So for every one who thinks WP apocalypse is near , the good thing about MS is that it's aware that mobile is the future , and it's not the kind of company that turns its back on its future ( not anymore any way :p )

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
In fact, if Windows Mobile doesn't exist, then Windows Phone will not exist too. Microsoft makes WP because they want to have it only a name on the market share. And they don't want to beat Android and iOS because it seems like they are beating their bosses! I hint you that Apple and Google own Microsoft about 30%!

Its not about heading Android or iOS at all. Its about providing a strong viable option. I've uses android and I find WP to be a better user experience, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. The things we have to remember is that Android had several years before it realm took the market, it also helped having Samsung with all their marketing money.

I think Microsoft knows they cannot kill iOS or Android, however they can influence the market. Both Apple and Google are taking design and developer preview ideas from Microsoft.

The Mobile 🏁 is far from over!

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What I find weird is Microsoft's seriousness when it comes to their own platform.

They always shout out the slogan about Windows Phone first yet when it comes to applications about their own phone and services, Android and iOS always get more priority.

For example the Skype and Outlook.com apps are okay on Windows Phone but amazing on Android. Skype for Windows Phone doesn't even support photo sending, not to mention the massive performance issues.

Then comes outlook.com which works on Windows Phone but if you see the Android app you will find features like putting a lock on the app and a better design.

It is very hard for Microsost to get app developers to bring their apps to the Windows Phone platform and then even harder for them to ensure constant updates but when Microsoft itself doesn't offer the best possible version of their own apps on their OWN platform, who will?

Cortana is one of the only standout features of Windows Phone right now, if the decision to port it to Android and iOS comes true:

Bye, bye Windows Phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's just it. It just starts being all about WP and an emphasis,on the mobile market. Before it was Office, Skype and Bing period, it didn't matter the device. MSFT after all does own the most popular administrative application suite out there in Office. Bing is, the second most popular search engine out there. Natya has put an emphasis on MSFT reinforcing the importance on MSFT imprint on the mobile community. The tug o war was always between software exposure vs WP exclusivity. Outside of their search engine and web browser, Google doesn't have any well known software applications. Same with Apple. MSFT has always been software provider first. Now people want them to make those same applications only accessible through WP is a shift in the culture and that takes time. I agree about Cortana.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why Windows Phone is dead...no seriously...this time for real or a case for why naysayers should

Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share. Not because of the numbers, but because what they have around them = Market share. Their friends and co-workers show them "how good" their devices are and what they can do with them. Then people go and buy the same devices, without really finding out for themselves about whats best for them.

I agree. Lots of consumers buy based on market share, although indirectly. Besides going by what those around you use, market share also has a direct effect on ecosystem and apps. Apps are one of WP's weak points. Higher market share = more and higher quality apps.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree. Lots of consumers buy based on market share, although indirectly. Besides going by what those around you use, market share also has a direct effect on ecosystem and apps. Apps are one of WP's weak points. Higher market share = more and higher quality apps.

It's called network effects. My neighbor is using an iPhone, so I'll get an iPhone.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft put more emphasis in quick upgrades to the latest OS, bypassing the carriers like the iPhone does. WP could be even more attractive to all users. I still love my 1520 but I hate the fact that we are at the mercy of AT&T.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Its not about heading Android or iOS at all. Its about providing a strong viable option. I've uses android and I find WP to be a better user experience, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. The things we have to remember is that Android had several years before it realm took the market, it also helped having Samsung with all their marketing money.

I think Microsoft knows they cannot kill iOS or Android, however they can influence the market. Both Apple and Google are taking design and developer preview ideas from Microsoft.

The Mobile �� is far from over!

What helped Android more than anything was, at the time, AT&T's iPhone exclusivity. People wanted a smartphone like that and Android phones were available where the iPhone wasn't. If it were Windows Phone that was available at that time instead, things would be very different (though companies like Samsung basically copying the look of the iPhone for the Galaxy series is something WP wouldn't have been able to benefit from).

Now, what's holding WP back more than anything else imo is two things: 1) negative media obsession and 2) carrier and store sales staff's unfamiliarity and biased disdain. Those are two HUGELY influential pieces that directly affect point-of-sale. The app situation is what it is mostly because of market share (no matter how many tens of millions of customers that share represents, but I digress ...) and the market share will never increase if those two factors continue to work against it. But there is nothing that MS can honestly do about those two situations, so here we are ...

RusB

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
An interesting observation made last week here in the UK, at both O2 stores I visited both sales guys were rocking WPs and were singing the OS's praises. That's a notable shift in my experience from twelve months ago.

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share.

Do you know what the greatest ever successful sales pitch in the US is?
"We are selling a lot of these..."

Way too many of my fellow Americans need to feel loved and in with the "in" crowd. There are more kids with apple phones than all other brands put together. It is a peer pressure thing an not a functionality, features or value issue.

I have an Android (Moto X - Developers) and it is only used as a controller for Chromecast to the TV. It no longer even has a SIM. My amazing $104, unlocked 520 powers the household (2-TV + 3-Tablets) for the Internet with an unlimited Talk/Text/Data package for 60-bucks a month. Currently we are running at around 98GBof Data per month.

Only more and more people will see the benefits of WP, especially with the attention msoft is lavishing on WP8.1

It has the apple-fan-boys worried. :)

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Who buys a phone based on market shares ? None that I know,however,the market share is used as a gauge to see how well something is doing correct? Then market share has a direct collation to wither people in general are buying them,and if they are making profit. If people stop buying them,just how long certain phones or the whole division do you think remain alive with how things are being done these days at Microsoft?

Now,if Microsoft does what most large corporations do after buying out a company,and if sales continue to fall,how long do you think Microsoft will produce phones on it's own without resorting to other vendors? If the other vendors phones don't turn around the sales and the market share continues to fall.....where is the cut off point ?

The bottom line is the only thing that matters to the company and it's share holders,not what anyone here thinks.

Market share may not matter to the individual user, it does matter to developers because they want to make applications to a large audience so they can make money OR if it is not to make money that a large proportion of their customers have a particular Phone OS. As long as WP in the US is in the low single digits it is going to be harder and harder to convince developers to build and MAINTAIN their applications. It also matters in the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) trend in enterprise because IT wants to support as few platforms as it can and if their employees are 50% iOS and 46% Android and 4% Windows Phone they may just tell their employees that only iOS and Android are supported. Also, if you go into businesses you will see a big sign that says "Get our iOS/Android app".

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft put more emphasis in quick upgrades to the latest OS, bypassing the carriers like the iPhone does. WP could be even more attractive to all users. I still love my 1520 but I hate the fact that we are at the mercy of AT&T.
Actually, while on the tech sites (like this one) everyone seems to know what version of the OS they're on. Go to the average person in the street and ask them what version of iOS, Android or WP they are on and 99% of the people don't know and couldn't care less. So, the quick updates of Windows Phone or iOS isn't really a selling point because most people don't care as long as their phone runs the apps they need it to. Also, while most fans of Android "hate" the OEM Skins/Bloatware there are a lot of people that stay with Samsung because Touchwiz has features that they like.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I look at it simplistically. I have a Lumia 1520 Cyan. I keep an eye on the latest releases. I recently bought my son a nice HTC One M8 running Android. I keep my partners' Iphones updated and functional at work, as well as assorted Blackberries (including my own Z30). The plain fact is there is no phone currently on the market, and none with the exception of the impending Blackberry Passport, that I have the slightest enviable inclination towards. There are still some things (principally email, attachments and multitasking) that Blackberry does better than everyone else. Yet my interest in the Passport is almost purely form-factor driven. I have come to really like the Windows Phone UI and OS. If they can continue to bring the functionality along, there will be no question for me which is the preferred platform. Microsoft seems committed to WP and desktop convergence in an orderly function. It seems to me that there is more at stake in that than simply smartphone unit short or even long-term profitability. So I figure WP is around for the long haul, and I am grateful and encouraged.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Do you know what the greatest ever successful sales pitch in the US is?
"We are selling a lot of these..."

Way too many of my fellow Americans need to feel loved and in with the "in" crowd. There are more kids with apple phones than all other brands put together. It is a peer pressure thing an not a functionality, features or value issue.

I have an Android (Moto X - Developers) and it is only used as a controller for Chromecast to the TV. It no longer even has a SIM. My amazing $104, unlocked 520 powers the household (2-TV + 3-Tablets) for the Internet with an unlimited Talk/Text/Data package for 60-bucks a month. Currently we are running at around 98GBof Data per month.

Only more and more people will see the benefits of WP, especially with the attention msoft is lavishing on WP8.1

It has the apple-fan-boys worried. :)

Neither Apple or Google is really concerned about about WP. There is not enough market share for WP and neither competitor will EVER put their applications on Windows Phone. If I'm an iOS or Android user I actually have BETTER experience on Microsoft services (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office,etc) than you do on a Windows Phone. As long as that is true (and it will remain true as long as iOS and Android have dominant market shares) you will not see iOS or Android apps supported on Windows Phone. And for those of you who hate Google for not putting their apps on Windows Phone should know that if the positions were reversed Microsoft would do the same thing to Apple/Google if they could get away with it (see Microsoft Anti Trust circa 1998-1999).

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I think its not only the Americans, its us humans. We are group animals, we like to feel to be part of a bigger group, feel loved if you will :D

Naturally at some point there will be change however. iPhone X comes and someone yawns, the next guy yawns also, soon the whole groups yawns and they are all gone in a second. Weve seen this happen in the mobile space before and it will happen again, Im sure. Could take a lot of time though, even 5 years or something. Hope MS keeps pushing as long as it needs!

If I'm an iOS or Android user I actually have BETTER experience on Microsoft services (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office,etc) than you do on a Windows Phone.

Is that really so? I only had the Galaxy S for few months and never an iDevice. I got furious when all my contacts etc was synced to Google's servers even though I did ALL possible to disable syncing to Google and sync all my data via cable locally.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
A few years ago I was sold on windows phone 7. I would've upgraded to it if I didn't already have my palm pixi. Which was also a good phone.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This unassailable, impregnable market is only 7 years old, so far as Apple and younger than that so far as Google. Things can change rapidly and both leaders have veracious, greedy appetites. It's not as if developing for the market leaders is a free pass to riches. A &G want it all and feel they are entitled to a premium for the share they earned and don't like to share their wealth. I think everyone would be better off with 3 or 4 app alternatives. It's possible that developers would welcome additional outlets, once critical mass is reached, rather than be competing with a million developers, each subject to A & G's imperious demands.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Actually I think you are wrong here. Many buy their devices because of market share. Not because of the numbers, but because what they have around them = Market share. Their friends and co-workers show them "how good" their devices are and what they can do with them. Then people go and buy the same devices, without really finding out for themselves about whats best for them.
Actually I am not. As I said those whom I know don't buy based on market share.

What their friends and family members use is not what the market share of the device may actually be at the moment.

The platforms survival depends entirely on the bottom line. If it remains profitable, it will continue, if it doesn't, it won't be justifiable.

I think it will survive perhaps not like it is, or with as many phones or with Microsoft actually building them, but it will survive in some form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb