08-11-2014 12:24 PM
214 1234 ...
tools
    Why do care so much of what the haters got to say?
    08-04-2014 06:27 AM
    The 2.7 figure is just for Q2. I anticipate a turnaround for Q3 with the release of 8.1 and a few new models. Let's face it, there haven't been any significant model releases for a while.
    actually when that new iPhone comes out ........nobody's selling phones except apple! So for WP that's not going to be good!
    08-04-2014 06:49 AM
    I'm sorry for the international community but for WP to grow.....it needs to grow in the USA period! If it doesn't one can only expect no more than 3% ! And if you want to now what's killing WP here in America? Carriers!!!!!!!!! Don't belive me? Come to att or a Verizon here ! Even if you love WP...you still may come home with either an iPhone or android cause they push them so hard they hit you with the old Jedi mind trick and its over! You really have to fight to get your WP and to let you know till ms is inside carriers doing trainings......its not going to change!
    08-04-2014 07:00 AM
    Why do care so much of what the haters got to say?
    The more the haters.....the more hate......the less dev support....the less users....the less market share......shall I go on?
    08-04-2014 07:03 AM
    rooms, cortana, wordflow keyboard, wifi sense, Saving apps to sd(all sd card supported windows phone can support 128gb), live tiles, pinning tile shortcuts, pinning contacts, best camera, lens feature, camera apps, inbuilt wireless charging, speed and smoothness, most secure OS(after blackberry due to VPN support. should be fixed in update 1) Offline Maps, Here maps, Local scout, mixradio, Xbox live games, achievements higher your xbox gamerscore, xbox live app, upgrade call to skype. share feature.I know more exclusive features in my products than microsoft lol.
    Best camera? That is subject to discussion.

Cortana is nice but Siri and Google Now also get the job done, but Cortana is one of the only highlight features of Windows Phone.

The SD Card fact is also a good one because on Android, apps with widgets can't be moved to the SD Card.

Other than that, not all Window Phones support 128 GB SD cards.

The other features you've mentioned also have replacements, but my point still stands there are few features on Windows Phone worth bragging about.

I'm not hating on Windows Phone, it's a nice OS and improving everyday. But no where near the level of Android or iOS.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-04-2014 07:03 AM
    actually when that new iPhone comes out ........nobody's selling phones except apple! So for WP that's not going to be good!
    Wrong, the android OEMs will still outsell Apple by a large margin, but it might be a slightly different story at the higher end of the market. At the moment it is quite obvious that the android market will begin to move into state with shrinking margins in a race to the bottom similar to the PC market. Samsung can hardly do anything about it, the Chinese OEMs will force down the prices for good enough smart phones and as the average consumer no longer needs the most expensive smartphone, the margins will suffer and sooner or later approach break even.

Apple on the other hand will clearly prefer to continue in their current state by selling high margin phones and won't care about if they continue to lose market share. They don't have to care, because they will likely lose a lot more money by lowering the prices enough to truly compete at the low end. Just look at the computer market where apple are making about as much money as all the PC OEMs together in spite of only selling a minor share of the sold computers. And this is why everyone should want a third alternative as Apple is not a real competitor to android and Google because Apple only want to make a lot of money on the high end, and hence in the long run we get the situation on the desktop with only one major player. Sure, part of android is "open source", but that is still the same system designed by Google and most of the world outside China uses Google services where all the Google specific services are NOT open source anyway.

Apple by not having the same OS and being the only OEM in their ecosystem is a lot more immune to the race to the bottom as no one can make a truly competing product at a lower price as iOS and OSX only runs on their own hardware. They got enough fans and people invested enough in their ecosystem to make switching painful that they can have higher margins and still sell a significant enough amount of phones in richer countries, besides, the contracts mask the cost compared to computers allowing apple to retain a higher share in phones in spite of their high prices.
    08-04-2014 07:36 AM
    Well you know it's kind of a human nature thing I suspect...

Each time I walk into a meeting with lots of people, I set my "overly" large Non-iPhone device on the table so I can take a sip of coffee, and that's when it starts. Understand the environment here, everyone in the room has an iPhone or one/two have a small Android phone. The endless making fun and looking down their collective noses at me... yeah... it's when one of these people's opens their months to poke fun? Now, I really don't get all religious and irritated about it... I get mostly get annoyingly real. I choose what technology works best for me.

A quick true story... I sat down next to a really interesting "iPhone twerp" once in one of those group meetings, and this fellow peer pointed to my Note III and asked if I was compensating for something? I did a look at my phone then looked at his iPhone... and retorted with:

'Well if I was a teenage girl with small teenage fingers and hands that was interesting in texting my friends about the latest status of Justin B., then I would absolutely go with your smaller iPhone... but as it turns out I'm an older tech guru with not the best eyesight on the planet... so in that regard I do have a need to compensate a bit with having a larger surface in order to read text... but indeed if I really want to do professional enterprise level work on a mobile device [at this point I sit down my Note III and pull out my Lumia 1520], then I move over to some serious hardware. [I tap the 1520 a couple of times and pull up a dash board while I'm talking... then scroll down to his systems]... and speaking of which... I see a couple of your systems just went into a yellow state... you might want to check these out [as I show him my screen]'

- Yeap I don't get mean about it... I don't talk too loud or too fast... claim steady on. His iPhone does not have this little tool that I engineered. Well I don't do iPhone apps. Yes, reality bites back sometimes. Indeed, this guy does not sit next to me anymore in meetings. I wonder why?

I seldom ever allow anyone to make an enemy of me, of course the flip-side of that is not always true... if these people want to win an argument with me about technology, then they have to prove something real... not just push their opinion in my face.

Now back to the question.... why the hate? Because it's easy... you don't have to exercise the "little grey cells" and make an effort to understand why something different works for other people. But lets not kid ourselves here, there's lots of hate pushed back at things Android on this WP forum, and of course the normal troll behavior when it comes to iPhones. So much in fact that it has become impossible to carry on a discussion with some people...Ah, but then there's the power to ignore....

Now I could really give a crap what kind of phone the "iPhone Twerp" had, but since he engaged me with a question (or a poke in the ribs as it were)... I'm all too willing to have a bit of fun -but you will notice I wasn't hateful about it or put the guy down (well...mostly), but he did learn something... maybe not completely the right thing, but he certainly knows more than he did.

What does it matter who hates or loves WP? Experiment and explore as best you can... discover what works for you... and if that's just not your way.... never surrender your power to ignore.... but of course, you always have the option to join the herd and remain unhappy as you exercise your "hate muscle" - this gives people like myself something to Jibber-Jabber about

~ScottGeek.
    k72, Aremosiur, HeyCori and 2 others like this.
    08-04-2014 08:15 AM
    The more the haters.....the more hate......the less dev support....the less users....the less market share......shall I go on?
    LOL, Tech journalist/costumers hating is not the main cause of WP poor sales.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-04-2014 08:16 AM
    I think before 8.1, there was a nice sense of camaraderie amongst Windows Phone users.

Once 8.1 came to light, a large part of the community was either underwhelmed or downright disappointed. Half of those people put lots of emphasis on Microsoft's staggering incompetence (re: Xbox Music and Games) in a race that would be very for them to lose. The other part of the forums were rather enthusiastic for Microsoft and were quick to defend them. I think this is where all the animosity comes from.
    08-04-2014 08:24 AM
    Many bloggers don't like the phrase "free enterprise". So they spend their days conspiring to talk down this free enterprise as much and as often as they can.
    08-04-2014 08:27 AM
    I think the problem is image and apps. For the longest time, Microsoft had developed an image of an old guard, buggy, virus prone, non-innovative company past it's prime. Some of this image was warranted, some was not. Either way, Apple and Google developed images of being hip and cutting edge. Again, much of this warranted.
    I'm hoping a new, younger, CEO plus Surface Pro 3 will begin to change this image. I think Surface Pro 3 is a really unique, capable and forward looking product. I just hope Microsoft markets this well. Personally, I think they are losing out on a great opportunity to market this to students in conjunction with OneNote - another tremendous, innovative product that nobody knows about.
    Apps are the other problem. I think WP can more than hold it's on functionality and coolness, but it just needs more apps. Everytime a new app is promoted on TV, it's always for iOS or Android. I know this is a chicken and egg thing, but until this improves, WP is going to struggle.
    08-04-2014 08:49 AM
    I really don't think there are many people actively hating Microsoft or Windows Phone. The average, non-enthusiast smartphone buyer doesn't actively follow most of this. They buy what their kids/parents/friends/that one "nerdy" friend/etc recommends. The biggest problem is that a lot of people just aren't well aware of Windows Phone.
    08-04-2014 08:50 AM
    I really don't think there are many people actively hating Microsoft or Windows Phone. The average, non-enthusiast smartphone buyer doesn't actively follow most of this. They buy what their kids/parents/friends/that one "nerdy" friend/etc recommends. The biggest problem is that a lot of people just aren't well aware of Windows Phone.
    I don't know what circles you run in but I deal with engineers, architects and hospital administration execs on one end and pipefitters on the other. The A/E crowd use Notes, the hospital brass use iPhones and my techs use flip phones and now 520s. Very few of these guys have Androids and the ones that do have Exhibits and similar garbage. I'm seeing Lumias all over the place with tradesmen and it's refreshing. See now I can send my field guys PDFs and get a lot more done by being at multiple jobsites. Every one of them says the same thing: "I didn't know Microsoft made phones". That's the real issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    08-04-2014 09:06 AM
    honestly, i think the problem is Microsoft, lack of advertising their own phone OS, they should make a phone with Microsoft name FAST. they can make lots of advertising on it to show off their work. and the advertising should be like LG G3 (copy a little, not too much or else LG might sue Microsoft), make a simple example to the customer, here's are the things they can do some example:
    "how to capture lots of moment and check it later" (go to photo > select second option, hold the screen until you want to stop)
    "how to find something fast" (ask cortana)
    "how to get the latest info" (pin to start)
    "how to type words fast" (just swipe)

since android has many virus, they can advertise "windows phone, totally virus-free!", and some sub advertise like "windows phone 8.1 is the most personal phone OS you may have ever seen", "windows phone 8.1, own it now!"
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-04-2014 09:07 AM
    I couldn't give a stuff if anyone hates wp....it works for me and I have life.
    Pointless post😃
    osallent likes this.
    08-04-2014 09:10 AM
    I'll be honest, i never considered WP because I don't like Windows 8. The tiles interface is badly designed, your whole screen is taken up by just a few icons and you often have to scroll across quite some distance to get to where you want to be. With such a lot of wasted space above and below the tiles it doesn't make sense to me to have to work this way. I prefer all my icons on one screen so I use the "traditional" desktop".

So for that reason, I, like many others, have never considered WP. On WP though it just works! There is no wasted space and the tiles are all together, with a single swipe to the left to get to the A-Z list. After just a few days with it I love it and I'm sure that millions of other people would feel the same if they tried it.

Part of the problem is there is little choice when buying a Windows phone and although you could argue it's the same for the iPhone, a lot of people won't like the colourful shells, with comments like "cartoony" and "looks like a kid's toy" being common. Even black or white version will remind people that they own the same phone as the cartoony version, and I think if more manufacturers came along with classier designs like the M8 it would help a great deal.

The 'people' I can understand, what does annoy me is the so-called professional reviews where reviewers seem to be absolutely terrified of giving the WP's a decent write-up in case they look foolish in their little community.

It's weird that the surrounding metal bezel on the 930 is slated yet a similar thing on the iPhone is admired. On other phones a heftier weight "adds to the feeling of superior build quality" but on the 930 it just means it's a heavy phone which will weigh you down.

I don't understand it either but I always thought BMW made the best cars until I bought a Volvo. At the end of the day I'm the one who's really laughing. Who cares what anybody else thinks?
    08-04-2014 09:24 AM
    The reason people hate Windows Phones is ignorance I believe. Android phones are cheap and abundant, meaning they're all you see. Only thing is, I know that most people who do use a Windows Phone love it. Maybe the problem with Microsoft is the lack of top notch phones. They have the 1520(love it) and the Icon/930(why two names?), but the average guy pretends to know what a Snapdragon 801 processor is. They pretend to know what the specs mean and go for the phone with the greater numbers. Fact of the matter is, even though the 1520 can easily compete with high end Android phones, the Android numbers are bigger. Snapdragon 801 not 800. Gorilla Glass 3 not Gorilla Glass 2(what kind of choice was that Nokia?).
    My stepmom had a 520 and loved the interface, but she uses a Samsung Galaxy Note now(II I think) because there was no defined high end Windows Phone worth buying. And she thinks the Note is too big so the 1520 is out of the question.
    Advertise, Microsoft, and mark a defined point between your budget, your mid-range, and your high end devices.
    Make a name for the Lumia devices. A design people see and go "That's a nice looking phone." "That's a Lumia."
    And most of all, keep your 2.7%. Don't focus on your budget and mid-range like you are now. Take some time to release new high end phones. The best specs. The newest technology. Impress people. 1530, 1030.
    It's hard for someone to say Microsoft isn't revolutionary and be honest about it. Yeah they came after Android and iOS but that doesn't mean everything came from the two main OS. Their interface is slick, original, and with the new update very nice looking indeed.
    We 2.7% want high end phones, right? I like the interface but between a mid-range phone with Windows Phone 8.1 and a top notch Android...I'd buy the Android device.
    08-04-2014 10:28 AM
    Here In America it is! Got to an att store for your self....ask for WP you'll see what happens has always happens to me! Most carriers salesman don't want to sell WP ...they didn't want to sell me one !
    JamesPTao and colinkiama like this.
    08-04-2014 10:56 AM
    I don't see much if any hate. What I see more of is honest criticism that isn't received rationally by readers here, and then labelled as hate. I find it far more reasonable to conclude that there are justified criticisms that the tech media are pointing out than to believe there's some mass conspiracy of ignorance and hate by the tech media to attack and hate on a mobile OS just for page hits
    I think hate is the wrong word, but having tried just about every phone out there I think much of the criticism is misguided rather than "honest". Now I have bought my first WP phone I honestly don't think that iOS or Android are better or more enjoyable to use.

There are some criticisms as you would get with any product but they are not as bad as many reviews make them out to be. WP phones get absolutely slated by a lot of reviewers and leave the reader thinking they must be really awful, when nothing could be further from the truth. The rest of the smartphone-using world seem to slag them off without ever having even seen one. That's the real problem in my opinion.
    JamesPTao and colinkiama like this.
    08-04-2014 11:12 AM
    Eric Zeman from Phone Scoop has always been high on WP. Critical of some of the hardware but very positive words about the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    08-04-2014 11:37 AM
    Probably for the same reasons there is so much hate for Android and Apple.
    08-04-2014 11:53 AM
    Tech pundits and consumers alike believe that the only phone worth buying is the brand they have in their pocket. It's fanboyism really. There's been times where I've recommended WP to people, only to have them tell me they don't want a Microsoft phone. There is a stigma relegated to the Microsoft name in mobile devices I believe. People hear the name and think of their old, slow work computers. Sometimes I wish MS would have named their phone OS something that didn't have the name "Windows" in it.
    08-04-2014 12:39 PM
    Just read the question I had back in April, this should solve it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/pho...-androids.html
    08-04-2014 01:07 PM
    2 Very Simple Things which have already been mentioned in detail.
    Lack of "Popular Aps" ...if that is your thing and lets be honest here, that is most peoples thing! (Not mine)
    AND....No surprise here.....People feel the need to justify their Non-Windows phone purchase. The don't want to feel they made a mistake and admit that. I could care less about social apps ( Seems to be the biggest stupid segment of aps these days) I like some games and maybe some productivity and Windows has those.
    08-04-2014 02:09 PM
    2 Very Simple Things which have already been mentioned in detail.
    Lack of "Popular Aps" ...if that is your thing and lets be honest here, that is most peoples thing! (Not mine)
    AND....No surprise here.....People feel the need to justify their Non-Windows phone purchase. The don't want to feel they made a mistake and admit that. I could care less about social apps ( Seems to be the biggest stupid segment of aps these days) I like some games and maybe some productivity and Windows has those.
    What apps do You think are missing?
    Asfalloth likes this.
    08-04-2014 02:14 PM
214 1234 ...