08-11-2014 12:24 PM
214 12345 ...
tools
    Just read the question I had back in April, this should solve it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/pho...-androids.html
    Yes but that's part of the problem. Everybody saying this is better than that and so on. Each should be considered on it's own merits, and let people decide from there rather than have so called professional tech journos slagging off everything they don't happen to like themselves which then leads to the general public doing the same.

'Davehow' made a good point about the way the public behave even to reasonable reviews though, and believe me I've dealt with the public all my working life and there are some real morons out there. But at the same time a lot of those reviews are left in there deliberately, to attract people to the website. Nothing better than a controversial post or two to attract attention!

Same with apps. OK so at least until recently WP was lacking a little but the promo video sums it up - over a thousand Android apps just to turn on the flashlight? It's just nonsense. People say there are not enough apps but you could spend the rest of your life evaluating each one and still never get to even see the vast majority of them.
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-04-2014 04:17 PM
    People say there are not enough apps but you could spend the rest of your life evaluating each one and still never get to even see the vast majority of them.
    That sentence alone... So powerful. So true.
    Andrea988 and neo158 like this.
    08-04-2014 07:30 PM
    Windows Phones has most of what people want. They just don't try to look. In addition, what Windows does have is quality. What does having 3 million apps mean if half of them are worthless? How many of those apps do people actually install and like? Windows has quality apps, and the necessary apps as well. I haven't had any problems with finding apps except for a few games I'd probably not ever play.
    08-04-2014 09:56 PM
    Exactly, what does sheer numbers mean? Any company can come and make any app for Android or iOS. Microsoft is particular, which is good. Numbers doesn't mean the best, no on is downloading three million apps on their phone.
    08-04-2014 10:14 PM
    A big issue is apps that have a social component to them. Candy Crush is a big one. Of course you could probably name a handful of alternatives available on WP right now. But are my friends playing these same games? It was the same thing with Fhotoroom. Absolutely high quality app. I enjoyed using it before Instagram (in its many forms) finally arrived. But it was no real replacement considering not one person I knew used the service.
    08-04-2014 10:22 PM
    Combination of what others have said. Also some of the 'hate' probably comes from ppl who have been on WP or MS products for a while and have seen MS's lackadaisical attitude towards WP.
    I have found even myself being critical in posts on the site. Its also hard to represent your tone in the written form. Words become even more important on the internet where representing yourself and your feelings are solely judged on what you write.
    But honestly, regarding WP's market share, are you surprised. I have said before, for me personally, I love WP UI and design. Before that webOS. I used to take WP's shortcomings in stride because the user experience was so good. While the user experience is still normally good it has been lacking many things that do make a smartphone experience easier. WP 8.1 has addressed some of these issues (action center), but still iOS and Android are ahead feature wise.
    I don't think that's a winning plan. They need to achieve 100% feature parity first, bottom line. You need to be able to do the same things, but you can do them differently.
    Last edited by twint7787; 08-04-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    08-04-2014 10:31 PM
    Windows Phones has most of what people want. They just don't try to look. In addition, what Windows does have is quality.
    I'm stoked about all the apps that have come to the WP store these days, but I'm guessing you don't have any devices on other platforms, because if you did, you'd understand that there's a lot missing from WP still.
    08-05-2014 02:59 AM
    I'm stoked about all the apps that have come to the WP store these days, but I'm guessing you don't have any devices on other platforms, because if you did, you'd understand that there's a lot missing from WP still.
    Having only just moved over from Android, I use my phone for it's apps far more than I do for calling and sending messages, but I have found everything I need on WP and more. With one or two exceptions I haven't had to install-try out-uninstall a dozen times a day either like I did with Android which is a huge bonus as far as I'm concerned.
    JamesPTao and k72 like this.
    08-05-2014 06:35 AM
    How many flashlight and fart apps does one really need?

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:14 AM
    The thing that many of you do not understand is that, not having apps is just part of the problem.

Many apps on Windows Phone that are there lag behind the Android/iOS counterparts.

For example both Android and Windows Phone have 9GAG, but honestly use both apps and tell me which is better.

The same goes for Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Instagram and many others.

Plus Windows Phone Store still lacks a lot of quality titles such as Dead Trigger, Shadowgun: Deadzone, Minecraft, etc.

Even Microsoft's own apps such as Skype or Outlook have much more functional or beautiful builds on Android and iOS.

You could keep telling me the huge amount of workarounds, the 3rd party clients and other stuff like that but all that hassle contributes to why people dislike Windows Phone.

I like Windows Phone and Android(somewhat iOS as well) but there are many many logical reasons not to try Windows Phone. You can sugarcoat it all you want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-05-2014 09:15 AM
    You could keep telling me the huge amount of workarounds, the 3rd party clients and other stuff like that but all that hassle contributes to why people dislike Windows Phone.
    Yes 'Dislike' however there is something weird about how negative some people's views are on the internet. Everyone knows about the app problem (not really a gap anymore) but it's more to do with how some bloggers absolutely despise the platform or even make it look bad for the fun of it. Why is that happening?
    Andrea988 likes this.
    08-05-2014 09:24 AM
    Yes 'Dislike' however there is something weird about how negative some people's views are on the internet. Everyone knows about the app problem (not really a gap anymore) but it's more to do with how some bloggers absolutely despise the platform or even make it look bad for the fun of it. Why is that happening?
    Would you mind pointing out some reviewers who do this? All the recent reviews I've watched of Lumia flagships we're positive.

The reviewers acknowledged the app problem however said that they had a lot to like about Windows Phone as well, such as the camera(and camera apps)

Most of the people who "hate" Windows Phone believe in myths, they have never tried it, sadly.

I gave my Uncle my Lumia 520 and he absolutely loves it, more than Android actually. It just depends on your preferences. :)

Windows Phone offers a balance between customisability and simplicity and they should advertise this fact more.

colinkiama likes this.
    08-05-2014 09:31 AM
    Next time don't forget to delete your Tapatalk iPhone signature
    My boss pays for this iJunk. He also pays me to sit around reading forums while I wait for county inspectors. ;-)

Laura Knotek and k72 like this.
    08-05-2014 09:57 AM
    My boss pays for this iJunk. He also pays me to sit around reading forums while I wait for county inspectors. ;-)

So your boss won't pay to get you a decent phone then
    08-05-2014 10:23 AM
    So your boss won't pay to get you a decent phone then
    He's a technological caveman. All he knows is iPhone and Gmail. The concept of tethering left his head spinning when I showed him at a "conference" we attended in Vegas a few years ago.

Laura Knotek, k72, neo158 and 1 others like this.
    08-05-2014 10:38 AM
    The sub-par attention MS gives to WP. The users who feel betrayed. The retards who just say what people say. The media creating bad press for WP.

I for one can speak for the users who feel betrayed and the sub-par attention MS gives to WP. I am a general consumer, who uses phones to play games, chat, call and text.

Games? All ok except the ones that are "hot" so to say, like Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, or some other games. I'm sure there are a lot of great games on WP, but it's quite hard to find for the general consumer, as you have to dig a lot to find that hidden gem.

Chat? No. I mainly use WhatsApp and I get messages so late, I gave up. I tried using Skype, and old messages from a PC chat shows as "not read" in my phone. I have to manually check each message and mark it as unread so there are no 70 notifications of chat from Skype. Chatting in WP is horrible, especially without a swype keyboard (I know they implemented it now, but this was before). I hated chatting on WP.

Call? Great, no problems here.

Text? A bit slow, but nonetheless still works.

And yes, these are nitpicky stuff that I personally want, but these nitpicky stuff are the ones that make or break the deal when buying phones. I don't care if you say you don't need this or you don't need that, it may not matter to you but it matters a lot for others.

On to the sub-par attention. I waited for a new WP phone to be released, so I bought a L520 for a holdout for a while. They released the 1520 (I think) next, and where do they sell it? Only in the USA. Yeah I can't wait 2 years more to get that phone, and I don't want to get a 1320 because it has sub-par specs that wouldn't let me play heavy intensive games.

Also the lack of attention MS gives to their own apps in WP. I was quite angry at that. They gave a better Skype, Outlook and One Drive to iOS and Android, but not WP? I'm done dude, it's like you invest on something without a return.

Another thing is that MS' future on WP is not clear at all. Yes a system that could be connected through all devices is the goal, but while working towards that goal, do you look back for a while to satisfy your customers? The WP 8.1 was a great disappointment during launch, and I will try it on soon when it's ready, but I don't expect much anymore due to past let-downs.

Now on to the media. Android has made headlines in the news, so did iOS. Where's WP's headline? It's only the WP8.1 announcement, and for a brief time at that. The media has not made any booming announcements for WP, so no one knows a lot about it, and from the hate from others the assume that WP is bad too. Typical human psychology of assuming stuff.
    08-05-2014 10:47 AM
    That hate come from Mac users that hate Microsoft, Store reps that push Android and IOS and not WP so the average person or family that is not hung up on useless apps. I use to think ISO fans were bad but Android fans are worst.
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-05-2014 10:53 AM
    It is clear that Microsoft still has a lot to do with the Windows Phones, and a long road ahead of them. Although the basic design is fresh, original, and something most people would actually probably like, there are a lot of holes where it's plain Microsoft was looking the other way.
    However, who's to say this isn't changing now? New management, and a new plan. Microsoft seems to be firmly turning their attention to their phones, and if they do what they say the do, and focus on the user, they'll get the headlines. And they need those headlines. They need to get their name out there.
    Apps are still a problem, but I think Microsoft needs to finalize their OS before they crack down on the organized chaos that is the Store. I can live without Candy Crush, but those bugs and unfinished polishes are really annoying.
    Perhaps the fabled "Windows Phone 9" will solve these problems. All we can do is wait for Microsoft(we can expect a long wait).
    colinkiama likes this.
    08-05-2014 11:02 AM
    How many flashlight and fart apps does one really need?
    Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and tell me these are fart apps.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post2688134
    08-05-2014 11:28 AM
    Scroll down to the bottom of this thread and tell me these are fart apps.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post2688134
    We do have wunderlist. After we get everything here, you can't really say there is an app gap anymore
    08-05-2014 11:43 AM
    We do have wunderlist. After we get everything here, you can't really say there is an app gap anymore
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll install that to my 920 right now. That list I made is compiled of the apps & games I use on my Android phones and iPad. Hopefully those do come to Windows Phone at some point, because that's what I'm personally missing.
    08-05-2014 12:40 PM

The iPhone is no joke, despite having a small screen it sports powerful hardware and a great camera, even Daniel Rubino admits that iPhone is good.

Why do you refer to it as 'iJunk'?
    For most the 'essential' apps are now there, however the app gap isn't closed just yet.

08-05-2014 03:34 PM
    I like Windows Phone and Android(somewhat iOS as well) but there are many many logical reasons not to try Windows Phone. You can sugarcoat it all you want.
    My logical reason for not trying Android is because it looks to overblown with all those different launchers, multiple start screens, widgets and all this stuff. I like it simple.
    My logical reason for not trying ios is because I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone.

People heard that ms is bad and not cool, that's why they think WP has to be bad.
    Most people also need stupid little games like those candy crush stuff because if their friends play it they need it too
    08-05-2014 03:57 PM
    My logical reason for not trying Android is because it looks to overblown with all those different launchers, multiple start screens, widgets and all this stuff. I like it simple.
    My logical reason for not trying ios is because I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone.

People heard that ms is bad and not cool, that's why they think WP has to be bad.
    Most people also need stupid little games like those candy crush stuff because if their friends play it they need it too
    Similar to misconceptions about Windows Phone, there are misconceptions about Android as well.

Android is not as difficult as people make it out to be and you aren't forced to try out the plethora of launchers.

Just pin your favorite apps to the homescreen, or pin the widgets, not very hard.

The point about iOS devices being overpriced is true but looking past that iOS or iPhone are not bad.

Plus the Lumia 1520 costs around $60k in my country, if you truly care about value for money get a Nexus or OnePlus One.

As far as apps on Windows Phone go, Candy Crush is just one of them. The Windows Phone Store also lacks a lot of quality 3D titles such as Shadowgun or Dead Trigger.

Plus users complain that the quality of graphics in games is better on Android and iOS as opposed to Windows Phone, an example would be Asphalt 8 which some reviewers say looks like a PS2 game on Windows Phone, I somewhat agree.

All OSes have something great about them and in the end it just depends on which OS offers the most features that users prefer. As far as apps go, I'll say this:

iOS often gets apps first and amazing apps that other platforms sometimes never get, due to the small number of iPhones optimization insures barely any crashes and apps often look their best on iOS.

Android apps have an okay, and sometimes great design but what they do have are apps that have the most functionality when compared to iOS and Windows Phone counterparts but sometimes a bit unstable because providing optimization for all kinds of hardware is different.

Windows Phone apps have a nice and clean design(mostly) however often lack behind in frequent updates, functionality and sometimes performance. There is a serious lack of apps on this platform which may not be apparent to everyone but nonetheless there is a serious lack of apps, and quality apps in general.

TL;DR Version:

iOS apps: most beautiful and stable
    Android apps: most customizable and functional
    Windows Phone: Clean UI but lacking a lot of functionality

08-05-2014 04:16 PM
    There is a serious lack of apps on this platform which may not be apparent to everyone...
    Which suggests it isn't quite as big a problem as some make it out to be, and I'm not pointing directly at you.

Honestly, I don't know how many apps people need. Do you not have jobs to go to or something?
    08-05-2014 04:30 PM
214 12345 ...