Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So it's ok for other companies to drop support after 18 months but if MS doesn't continue to support a product launched shortly after 9/11, it's corporate greed. Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
So it's ok for other companies to drop support after 18 months but if MS doesn't continue to support a product launched shortly after 9/11, it's corporate greed. Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold water.

No, I didn't say it was OK for anybody to drop support after 18 months, you're just twisting the issue. You need to think a little deeper.

If there are MILLIONS of users of a product it makes sense to support them, if there are not, as much as it would be desirable to support just a few, it simply wouldn't make economic sense. In fact it would probably be cheaper for those companies to just give those users a new product rather than support an ageing, unpopular one. But in the case of XP for example, for 30% of the world's computer users to be simply told we're not supporting you anymore....well try to work out why hundreds of millions of people hate Microsoft, it's not rocket science.

And what the hell does 9/11 have to do with it? If you're referring to the date what is important as I have said before is the date they STOPPED selling it, not the date they started. Only the very first users have had support from day one remember.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lord help the church! How can anyone expect any company to support a product launched 13 years ago? I don't give a fat baby's a** how many people are still using it or when they bought it. There comes a time when things become obsolete. Web standards change, 3rd party apps stop working, etc. You can keep using XP 'til the cows come home but MS won't support it anymore. Whether you want to accept it or not is your own business. Want to hate MS and go to another platform? Fine, it's your choice. I'd love for my Treo 680 and my T/X to still have Facebook support as well as EAS, but it ain't happening. Deal with it.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
It's not a matter of accepting it, it's a matter of what's right and what isn't. As I seem to have to keep on saying, it isn't about when it was first introduced it was about when it was last sold. Millions of people are being screwed, sure you don't give a toss because it doesn't affect you personally, that's the sad side of human nature but those millions of people do and that's why people hate MS. Nobody mentioned going to another platform, I'm just answering the question, "Why do so many people hate WP?" - mostly because a LOT of people hate MS because they are a greedy corporation. Fact. Get over it.

Incidentally I can name you a lot of products introduced over 13 years ago that are still supported so it's not as if it can't be done.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Of course it affects me. I'm not rich, I can't buy the latest and greatest on a whim. But I also realize that companies need to make paper. There is no unalienable right to a computer so there's a price to pay for being connected.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Of course it affects me. I'm not rich, I can't buy the latest and greatest on a whim. But I also realize that companies need to make paper. There is no unalienable right to a computer so there's a price to pay for being connected.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app

Yes I agree totally with that, but it's the lines that are drawn in the wrong place. If few people still use it then tough, but when hundreds of millions of people are still using a product they bought in good faith then that is enough reason alone to continue supporting it. I'm not rich either but we can probably both afford the latest stuff from time to time, but not everybody can especially just after a recession.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree totally with that, but it's the lines that are drawn in the wrong place. If few people still use it then tough, but when hundreds of millions of people are still using a product they bought in good faith then that is enough reason alone to continue supporting it. I'm not rich either but we can probably both afford the latest stuff from time to time, but not everybody can especially just after a recession.

With that mentality the railroad industry would probably still be using steam locomotives.

And FWIW, support for XP from Microsoft is still available. It just costs a lot. XP is old technology. 13 years in software is a lifetime. A lot of programs developed today don't even run on XP. Its time has come.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
With that mentality the railroad industry would probably still be using steam locomotives.

And FWIW, support for XP from Microsoft is still available. It just costs a lot.

Perhaps we should scrap trains, boats and planes every 10-15 years then with your mentality. Once again somebody is wrongly assuming I'm advocating supporting something forever.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I take it you're ok then with Skype dropping support for Symbian and WP7 because "few people use it". Facebook broke their API and as a result left webOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile users twisting in the wind. When MS didn't adopt CalDAV and BBOS 7 users had to seek Funambol or other remedies to sync their calendars that was ok too. I'm guessing none of these situations affected you.

"When my neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When I lose my job, it's a depression."

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Think about why consumers are not considering Windows Phone to begin with. They go into a carrier store(AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Orange, etc..) and see a Windows Phone display with a blown-up representation of the Start Screen. They immediately see a bunch of flat, square/rectangular tiles where it all just blends together in a mass of confusion and wasted space. In Windows Phone, the default is the square tile, so the first view you'll have is about 6-8 tiles visible at a time whereas in iPhone you'll see 20 icons and in Android perhaps even more at a time in their "app drawers". Remember this is a small display to begin with, so real-estate is prized. MS wasted it from the beginning with Live Tiles. Yeah you can say they helped to alleviate it with the smaller tiles, but that makes things even worse because small tiles are not live, and are even less discernible as to what they are. I think the Live Tiles are a huge UX failure for 95% of the people and it's reflected in market share.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Many of the same Android fanboys are jealous of Windows Phone hardware, if nothing else. They've been clamoring for Nokia hardware running Android on forums, article comments, etc. for over three years now. When they didn't get their way their beratement for WP grew exponentially. Just one of many reasons for what the OP posted.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Think about why consumers are not considering Windows Phone to begin with. They go into a carrier store(AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Orange, etc..) and see a Windows Phone display with a blown-up representation of the Start Screen. They immediately see a bunch of flat, square/rectangular tiles where it all just blends together in a mass of confusion and wasted space. In Windows Phone, the default is the square tile, so the first view you'll have is about 6-8 tiles visible at a time whereas in iPhone you'll see 20 icons and in Android perhaps even more at a time in their "app drawers". Remember this is a small display to begin with, so real-estate is prized. MS wasted it from the beginning with Live Tiles. Yeah you can say they helped to alleviate it with the smaller tiles, but that makes things even worse because small tiles are not live, and are even less discernible as to what they are. I think the Live Tiles are a huge UX failure for 95% of the people and it's reflected in market share.

Agreed 100%. I think MS has to show off the transparent tiles with some of the nice wallpapers in the background. If anything, it shows there are options.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I take it you're ok then with Skype dropping support for Symbian and WP7 because "few people use it". Facebook broke their API and as a result left webOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile users twisting in the wind. When MS didn't adopt CalDAV and BBOS 7 users had to seek Funambol or other remedies to sync their calendars that was ok too. I'm guessing none of these situations affected you.

"When my neighbor loses his job, it's a recession. When I lose my job, it's a depression."

Why would I be OK with it? People can quote thousands of examples from different products and situations and I have had to replace plenty in my lifetime but you have to judge each situation on it's own merits so ONE MORE TIME, this is an issue that affects MILLIONS and the more people something like this affects the less justification there is for it.

This isn't about me. I'll say it again, the original question was "Why is there so much hate for WP?" 180 posts later, you guys still don't seem to have worked out the answer that is staring you in the face.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I see the small icons equal to grid icons seen on android and IOS...the biggest complaint ppl tell me about WP is its too overwhelming (too much happening on start screen).

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I see the small icons equal to grid icons seen on android and IOS...the biggest complaint ppl tell me about WP is its too overwhelming (too much happening on start screen).

Interesting. I thought the start screen was actually easier to use. Seems a lot less hassle to me just posting your most used stuff on one screen than across five or more.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh God, I've never read that review. They absolutely tore that phone apart. Is the battery life really that bad on it?

Probably not but why would Engadget care about journalistic integrity? That's the beauty of being a reviewer, you can cite "opinion" as a reason to trash something that doesn't fit your tastes or agenda. I didn't see any charts or graphs showing battery run-down tests, did you? Benchmarks showing how the same SoC that performs so great on Androids is only "negligibly" better than the 520's dual-core chip? Nothing. Just words.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

No the difference is on iOS/Android the icons are visually distinctive and have captions. The small tiles on WP usually are white on accent color with no caption. That makes it very difficult to know what is what - lack of visual distinctiveness is a UX killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750