Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I won't lie though, the honestly adverts for the 630 and 930 suck, no wonder people don't like the phones. Why couldn't they just use the videos Nokia makes?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Android held record-breaking 84.6% of the market in Q2 2014, Windows Phone drops down to 2.7%

It has dropped to 2.7 in global market share which is a bad thing however people are mocking wp in the forums. It happens in every single article. It's like they are scared or something. Just leave WP alone. It didn't do no harm to anyone. But in my opinion I actually think this is due to Microsoft creating it. There's a lot of hate towards microsoft despite the fact that they are most likely posting their comments on a windows computer, stupid right? Where do you guys think this hate comes from?
The hate generated for Windows Phone is not because people dislike Microsoft as a company, most of us use Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows, don't we?

The reason is that Windows Phones only appeal to those on a budget looking for a decent device but barely anyone is willing to pay for the high-end Lumia devices because Windows Phone has not reached the same level of polish that Android and iOS have.

Oh and the lacks of apps, and lack of quality apps and lack of frequent app updates and apps with less functionality than Android/iOS counterparts is also why people do not like Windows Phone.

Apps is one of the more prominent reasons.
I blame the staff selling phones in the shop. 99.9% they either have an android or an iphone and as they know about that they persuade customers to buy them. Plus in England there are loads of ads promoting products and saying "download it now on iphone or android" a lot of people are not actually aware of windows phone. And also Microsoft doesn't do good adverts in England. All they do is some tart holds the phone and talks about it...THATS IT !!! iphone actually shows you what the phone can do with apps and people go "wow" Microsoft really needs to show the world what the phone is actually capable of doing
You can't blame the staff for that. For example there is a Sony Center here in Pakistan(where I live), I purchased a laptop last year, Sony makes a variety of products as you probably already know.

There was a computer at the reception where customers would provide feedback about the quality of the shop and helpfulness of the employees, and guess what? The computer was made by Dell because it was cheap!

Similarly the employees in the shop should all have been running around with Xperia Z, right? No. They can't often afford the best devices as working in retail doesn't pay all that well and many of then had flip phones and stuff.

The people in Microsoft stores probably own a cheap or mid-range Android/iOS device and they are trying to convince wealthier people to buy a high end Windows Phone but read my explanation up there as to why people are still not willing to purchase Windows Phone.

As far as features go, sadly Windows Phone doesn't have a whole lot of features you can brag about. Many of Microsoft's own services have better versions on Android and iOS compared to Windows Phone.

For example Outlook.com and Skype have much more functionality on Android despite being Microsoft's own services, Outlook.com also looks a hell lot more beautiful on Android.

Then there is Microsoft Word, which also looks better and has more functionality on Android/iOS.

OneDrive only recently caught up with the Android and iOS counterparts.

So you could blame Microsoft for not taking an interest in their own platform.

Cortana is a pretty nice feature of Windows Phone but Microsoft is considering porting it to Android/iOS and if that happens, there is no logical reason to get Windows Phone at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The hate generated for Windows Phone is not because people dislike Microsoft as a company, most of us use Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows, don't we?

The reason is that Windows Phones only appeal to those on a budget looking for a decent device but barely anyone is willing to pay for the high-end Lumia devices because Windows Phone has not reached the same level of polish that Android and iOS have.

Oh and the lacks of apps, and lack of quality apps and lack of frequent app updates and apps with less functionality than Android/iOS counterparts is also why people do not like Windows Phone.

Apps is one of the more prominent reasons.

You can't blame the staff for that. For example there is a Sony Center here in Pakistan(where I live), I purchased a laptop last year, Sony makes a variety of products as you probably already know.

There was a computer at the reception where customers would provide feedback about the quality of the shop and helpfulness of the employees, and guess what? The computer was made by Dell because it was cheap!

Similarly the employees in the shop should all have been running around with Xperia Z, right? No. They can't often afford the best devices as working in retail doesn't pay all that well and many of then had flip phones and stuff.

The people in Microsoft stores probably own a cheap or mid-range Android/iOS device and they are trying to convince wealthier people to buy a high end Windows Phone but read my explanation up there as to why people are still not willing to purchase Windows Phone.

As far as features go, sadly Windows Phone doesn't have a whole lot of features you can brag about. Many of Microsoft's own services have better versions on Android and iOS compared to Windows Phone.

For example Outlook.com and Skype have much more functionality on Android despite being Microsoft's own services, Outlook.com also looks a hell lot more beautiful on Android.

Then there is Microsoft Word, which also looks better and has more functionality on Android/iOS.

OneDrive only recently caught up with the Android and iOS counterparts.

So you could blame Microsoft for not taking an interest in their own platform.

Cortana is a pretty nice feature of Windows Phone but Microsoft is considering porting it to Android/iOS and if that happens, there is no logical reason to get Windows Phone at all.

rooms, cortana, wordflow keyboard, wifi sense, Saving apps to sd(all sd card supported windows phone can support 128gb), live tiles, pinning tile shortcuts, pinning contacts, best camera, lens feature, camera apps, inbuilt wireless charging, speed and smoothness, most secure OS(after blackberry due to VPN support. should be fixed in update 1) Offline Maps, Here maps, Local scout, mixradio, Xbox live games, achievements higher your xbox gamerscore, xbox live app, upgrade call to skype. share feature.I know more exclusive features in my products than microsoft lol.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The 2.7 figure is just for Q2. I anticipate a turnaround for Q3 with the release of 8.1 and a few new models. Let's face it, there haven't been any significant model releases for a while.
actually when that new iPhone comes out ........nobody's selling phones except apple! So for WP that's not going to be good!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry for the international community but for WP to grow.....it needs to grow in the USA period! If it doesn't one can only expect no more than 3% ! And if you want to now what's killing WP here in America? Carriers!!!!!!!!! Don't belive me? Come to att or a Verizon here ! Even if you love WP...you still may come home with either an iPhone or android cause they push them so hard they hit you with the old Jedi mind trick and its over! You really have to fight to get your WP and to let you know till ms is inside carriers doing trainings......its not going to change!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
rooms, cortana, wordflow keyboard, wifi sense, Saving apps to sd(all sd card supported windows phone can support 128gb), live tiles, pinning tile shortcuts, pinning contacts, best camera, lens feature, camera apps, inbuilt wireless charging, speed and smoothness, most secure OS(after blackberry due to VPN support. should be fixed in update 1) Offline Maps, Here maps, Local scout, mixradio, Xbox live games, achievements higher your xbox gamerscore, xbox live app, upgrade call to skype. share feature.I know more exclusive features in my products than microsoft lol.
Best camera? That is subject to discussion.

Cortana is nice but Siri and Google Now also get the job done, but Cortana is one of the only highlight features of Windows Phone.

The SD Card fact is also a good one because on Android, apps with widgets can't be moved to the SD Card.

Other than that, not all Window Phones support 128 GB SD cards.

The other features you've mentioned also have replacements, but my point still stands there are few features on Windows Phone worth bragging about.

I'm not hating on Windows Phone, it's a nice OS and improving everyday. But no where near the level of Android or iOS.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
actually when that new iPhone comes out ........nobody's selling phones except apple! So for WP that's not going to be good!
Wrong, the android OEMs will still outsell Apple by a large margin, but it might be a slightly different story at the higher end of the market. At the moment it is quite obvious that the android market will begin to move into state with shrinking margins in a race to the bottom similar to the PC market. Samsung can hardly do anything about it, the Chinese OEMs will force down the prices for good enough smart phones and as the average consumer no longer needs the most expensive smartphone, the margins will suffer and sooner or later approach break even.

Apple on the other hand will clearly prefer to continue in their current state by selling high margin phones and won't care about if they continue to lose market share. They don't have to care, because they will likely lose a lot more money by lowering the prices enough to truly compete at the low end. Just look at the computer market where apple are making about as much money as all the PC OEMs together in spite of only selling a minor share of the sold computers. And this is why everyone should want a third alternative as Apple is not a real competitor to android and Google because Apple only want to make a lot of money on the high end, and hence in the long run we get the situation on the desktop with only one major player. Sure, part of android is "open source", but that is still the same system designed by Google and most of the world outside China uses Google services where all the Google specific services are NOT open source anyway.

Apple by not having the same OS and being the only OEM in their ecosystem is a lot more immune to the race to the bottom as no one can make a truly competing product at a lower price as iOS and OSX only runs on their own hardware. They got enough fans and people invested enough in their ecosystem to make switching painful that they can have higher margins and still sell a significant enough amount of phones in richer countries, besides, the contracts mask the cost compared to computers allowing apple to retain a higher share in phones in spite of their high prices.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Well you know it's kind of a human nature thing I suspect...

Each time I walk into a meeting with lots of people, I set my "overly" large Non-iPhone device on the table so I can take a sip of coffee, and that's when it starts. Understand the environment here, everyone in the room has an iPhone or one/two have a small Android phone. The endless making fun and looking down their collective noses at me... yeah... it's when one of these people's opens their months to poke fun? Now, I really don't get all religious and irritated about it... I get mostly get annoyingly real. I choose what technology works best for me.

A quick true story... I sat down next to a really interesting "iPhone twerp" once in one of those group meetings, and this fellow peer pointed to my Note III and asked if I was compensating for something? I did a look at my phone then looked at his iPhone... and retorted with:

'Well if I was a teenage girl with small teenage fingers and hands that was interesting in texting my friends about the latest status of Justin B., then I would absolutely go with your smaller iPhone... but as it turns out I'm an older tech guru with not the best eyesight on the planet... so in that regard I do have a need to compensate a bit with having a larger surface in order to read text... but indeed if I really want to do professional enterprise level work on a mobile device [at this point I sit down my Note III and pull out my Lumia 1520], then I move over to some serious hardware. [I tap the 1520 a couple of times and pull up a dash board while I'm talking... then scroll down to his systems]... and speaking of which... I see a couple of your systems just went into a yellow state... you might want to check these out [as I show him my screen]'

- Yeap I don't get mean about it... I don't talk too loud or too fast... claim steady on. His iPhone does not have this little tool that I engineered. Well I don't do iPhone apps. Yes, reality bites back sometimes. Indeed, this guy does not sit next to me anymore in meetings. I wonder why? :wink:

I seldom ever allow anyone to make an enemy of me, of course the flip-side of that is not always true... if these people want to win an argument with me about technology, then they have to prove something real... not just push their opinion in my face.

Now back to the question.... why the hate? Because it's easy... you don't have to exercise the "little grey cells" and make an effort to understand why something different works for other people. But lets not kid ourselves here, there's lots of hate pushed back at things Android on this WP forum, and of course the normal troll behavior when it comes to iPhones. So much in fact that it has become impossible to carry on a discussion with some people...Ah, but then there's the power to ignore....

Now I could really give a crap what kind of phone the "iPhone Twerp" had, but since he engaged me with a question (or a poke in the ribs as it were)... I'm all too willing to have a bit of fun :devil: -but you will notice I wasn't hateful about it or put the guy down (well...mostly), but he did learn something... maybe not completely the right thing, but he certainly knows more than he did.

What does it matter who hates or loves WP? Experiment and explore as best you can... discover what works for you... and if that's just not your way.... never surrender your power to ignore.... but of course, you always have the option to join the herd and remain unhappy as you exercise your "hate muscle" - this gives people like myself something to Jibber-Jabber about :cool:

~ScottGeek.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think before 8.1, there was a nice sense of camaraderie amongst Windows Phone users.

Once 8.1 came to light, a large part of the community was either underwhelmed or downright disappointed. Half of those people put lots of emphasis on Microsoft's staggering incompetence (re: Xbox Music and Games) in a race that would be very for them to lose. The other part of the forums were rather enthusiastic for Microsoft and were quick to defend them. I think this is where all the animosity comes from.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem is image and apps. For the longest time, Microsoft had developed an image of an old guard, buggy, virus prone, non-innovative company past it's prime. Some of this image was warranted, some was not. Either way, Apple and Google developed images of being hip and cutting edge. Again, much of this warranted.
I'm hoping a new, younger, CEO plus Surface Pro 3 will begin to change this image. I think Surface Pro 3 is a really unique, capable and forward looking product. I just hope Microsoft markets this well. Personally, I think they are losing out on a great opportunity to market this to students in conjunction with OneNote - another tremendous, innovative product that nobody knows about.
Apps are the other problem. I think WP can more than hold it's on functionality and coolness, but it just needs more apps. Everytime a new app is promoted on TV, it's always for iOS or Android. I know this is a chicken and egg thing, but until this improves, WP is going to struggle.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think there are many people actively hating Microsoft or Windows Phone. The average, non-enthusiast smartphone buyer doesn't actively follow most of this. They buy what their kids/parents/friends/that one "nerdy" friend/etc recommends. The biggest problem is that a lot of people just aren't well aware of Windows Phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think there are many people actively hating Microsoft or Windows Phone. The average, non-enthusiast smartphone buyer doesn't actively follow most of this. They buy what their kids/parents/friends/that one "nerdy" friend/etc recommends. The biggest problem is that a lot of people just aren't well aware of Windows Phone.

I don't know what circles you run in but I deal with engineers, architects and hospital administration execs on one end and pipefitters on the other. The A/E crowd use Notes, the hospital brass use iPhones and my techs use flip phones and now 520s. Very few of these guys have Androids and the ones that do have Exhibits and similar garbage. I'm seeing Lumias all over the place with tradesmen and it's refreshing. See now I can send my field guys PDFs and get a lot more done by being at multiple jobsites. Every one of them says the same thing: "I didn't know Microsoft made phones". That's the real issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
honestly, i think the problem is Microsoft, lack of advertising their own phone OS, they should make a phone with Microsoft name FAST. they can make lots of advertising on it to show off their work. and the advertising should be like LG G3 (copy a little, not too much or else LG might sue Microsoft), make a simple example to the customer, here's are the things they can do some example:
"how to capture lots of moment and check it later" (go to photo > select second option, hold the screen until you want to stop)
"how to find something fast" (ask cortana)
"how to get the latest info" (pin to start)
"how to type words fast" (just swipe)

since android has many virus, they can advertise "windows phone, totally virus-free!", and some sub advertise like "windows phone 8.1 is the most personal phone OS you may have ever seen", "windows phone 8.1, own it now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb