Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You could keep telling me the huge amount of workarounds, the 3rd party clients and other stuff like that but all that hassle contributes to why people dislike Windows Phone.
Yes 'Dislike' however there is something weird about how negative some people's views are on the internet. Everyone knows about the app problem (not really a gap anymore) but it's more to do with how some bloggers absolutely despise the platform or even make it look bad for the fun of it. Why is that happening?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes 'Dislike' however there is something weird about how negative some people's views are on the internet. Everyone knows about the app problem (not really a gap anymore) but it's more to do with how some bloggers absolutely despise the platform or even make it look bad for the fun of it. Why is that happening?
Would you mind pointing out some reviewers who do this? All the recent reviews I've watched of Lumia flagships we're positive.

The reviewers acknowledged the app problem however said that they had a lot to like about Windows Phone as well, such as the camera(and camera apps)

Most of the people who "hate" Windows Phone believe in myths, they have never tried it, sadly.

I gave my Uncle my Lumia 520 and he absolutely loves it, more than Android actually. It just depends on your preferences. :)

Windows Phone offers a balance between customisability and simplicity and they should advertise this fact more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So your boss won't pay to get you a decent phone then :winktongue:

He's a technological caveman. All he knows is iPhone and Gmail. The concept of tethering left his head spinning when I showed him at a "conference" we attended in Vegas a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
The sub-par attention MS gives to WP. The users who feel betrayed. The retards who just say what people say. The media creating bad press for WP.

I for one can speak for the users who feel betrayed and the sub-par attention MS gives to WP. I am a general consumer, who uses phones to play games, chat, call and text.

Games? All ok except the ones that are "hot" so to say, like Candy Crush, Clash of Clans, or some other games. I'm sure there are a lot of great games on WP, but it's quite hard to find for the general consumer, as you have to dig a lot to find that hidden gem.

Chat? No. I mainly use WhatsApp and I get messages so late, I gave up. I tried using Skype, and old messages from a PC chat shows as "not read" in my phone. I have to manually check each message and mark it as unread so there are no 70 notifications of chat from Skype. Chatting in WP is horrible, especially without a swype keyboard (I know they implemented it now, but this was before). I hated chatting on WP.

Call? Great, no problems here.

Text? A bit slow, but nonetheless still works.

And yes, these are nitpicky stuff that I personally want, but these nitpicky stuff are the ones that make or break the deal when buying phones. I don't care if you say you don't need this or you don't need that, it may not matter to you but it matters a lot for others.

On to the sub-par attention. I waited for a new WP phone to be released, so I bought a L520 for a holdout for a while. They released the 1520 (I think) next, and where do they sell it? Only in the USA. Yeah I can't wait 2 years more to get that phone, and I don't want to get a 1320 because it has sub-par specs that wouldn't let me play heavy intensive games.

Also the lack of attention MS gives to their own apps in WP. I was quite angry at that. They gave a better Skype, Outlook and One Drive to iOS and Android, but not WP? I'm done dude, it's like you invest on something without a return.

Another thing is that MS' future on WP is not clear at all. Yes a system that could be connected through all devices is the goal, but while working towards that goal, do you look back for a while to satisfy your customers? The WP 8.1 was a great disappointment during launch, and I will try it on soon when it's ready, but I don't expect much anymore due to past let-downs.

Now on to the media. Android has made headlines in the news, so did iOS. Where's WP's headline? It's only the WP8.1 announcement, and for a brief time at that. The media has not made any booming announcements for WP, so no one knows a lot about it, and from the hate from others the assume that WP is bad too. Typical human psychology of assuming stuff.

montel22

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
That hate come from Mac users that hate Microsoft, Store reps that push Android and IOS and not WP so the average person or family that is not hung up on useless apps. I use to think ISO fans were bad but Android fans are worst.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It is clear that Microsoft still has a lot to do with the Windows Phones, and a long road ahead of them. Although the basic design is fresh, original, and something most people would actually probably like, there are a lot of holes where it's plain Microsoft was looking the other way.
However, who's to say this isn't changing now? New management, and a new plan. Microsoft seems to be firmly turning their attention to their phones, and if they do what they say the do, and focus on the user, they'll get the headlines. And they need those headlines. They need to get their name out there.
Apps are still a problem, but I think Microsoft needs to finalize their OS before they crack down on the organized chaos that is the Store. I can live without Candy Crush, but those bugs and unfinished polishes are really annoying.
Perhaps the fabled "Windows Phone 9" will solve these problems. All we can do is wait for Microsoft(we can expect a long wait).

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
We do have wunderlist. After we get everything here, you can't really say there is an app gap anymore

Thanks for the heads up, I'll install that to my 920 right now. That list I made is compiled of the apps & games I use on my Android phones and iPad. Hopefully those do come to Windows Phone at some point, because that's what I'm personally missing.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My boss pays for this iJunk. He also pays me to sit around reading forums while I wait for county inspectors. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums
The iPhone is no joke, despite having a small screen it sports powerful hardware and a great camera, even Daniel Rubino admits that iPhone is good.

Why do you refer to it as 'iJunk'?
We do have wunderlist. After we get everything here, you can't really say there is an app gap anymore
For most the 'essential' apps are now there, however the app gap isn't closed just yet.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I like Windows Phone and Android(somewhat iOS as well) but there are many many logical reasons not to try Windows Phone. You can sugarcoat it all you want.

My logical reason for not trying Android is because it looks to overblown with all those different launchers, multiple start screens, widgets and all this stuff. I like it simple.
My logical reason for not trying ios is because I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone.

People heard that ms is bad and not cool, that's why they think WP has to be bad.
Most people also need stupid little games like those candy crush stuff because if their friends play it they need it too

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My logical reason for not trying Android is because it looks to overblown with all those different launchers, multiple start screens, widgets and all this stuff. I like it simple.
My logical reason for not trying ios is because I don't feel like spending 600$ on a phone.

People heard that ms is bad and not cool, that's why they think WP has to be bad.
Most people also need stupid little games like those candy crush stuff because if their friends play it they need it too
Similar to misconceptions about Windows Phone, there are misconceptions about Android as well.

Android is not as difficult as people make it out to be and you aren't forced to try out the plethora of launchers.

Just pin your favorite apps to the homescreen, or pin the widgets, not very hard.

The point about iOS devices being overpriced is true but looking past that iOS or iPhone are not bad.

Plus the Lumia 1520 costs around $60k in my country, if you truly care about value for money get a Nexus or OnePlus One.

As far as apps on Windows Phone go, Candy Crush is just one of them. The Windows Phone Store also lacks a lot of quality 3D titles such as Shadowgun or Dead Trigger.

Plus users complain that the quality of graphics in games is better on Android and iOS as opposed to Windows Phone, an example would be Asphalt 8 which some reviewers say looks like a PS2 game on Windows Phone, I somewhat agree.

All OSes have something great about them and in the end it just depends on which OS offers the most features that users prefer. As far as apps go, I'll say this:

iOS often gets apps first and amazing apps that other platforms sometimes never get, due to the small number of iPhones optimization insures barely any crashes and apps often look their best on iOS.

Android apps have an okay, and sometimes great design but what they do have are apps that have the most functionality when compared to iOS and Windows Phone counterparts but sometimes a bit unstable because providing optimization for all kinds of hardware is different.

Windows Phone apps have a nice and clean design(mostly) however often lack behind in frequent updates, functionality and sometimes performance. There is a serious lack of apps on this platform which may not be apparent to everyone but nonetheless there is a serious lack of apps, and quality apps in general.

TL;DR Version:

iOS apps: most beautiful and stable
Android apps: most customizable and functional
Windows Phone: Clean UI but lacking a lot of functionality

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
There is a serious lack of apps on this platform which may not be apparent to everyone...

Which suggests it isn't quite as big a problem as some make it out to be, and I'm not pointing directly at you.

Honestly, I don't know how many apps people need. Do you not have jobs to go to or something?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone is no joke, despite having a small screen it sports powerful hardware and a great camera, even Daniel Rubino admits that iPhone is good.

Why do you refer to it as 'iJunk'?

For most the 'essential' apps are now there, however the app gap isn't closed just yet.

I'm glad you asked. The iPhone is already on iOS 7.x and has been on the market since '07. Someone please explain to me why Apple, who builds only one phone, has an issue with opening PDF files from email attachments. It is a documented issue with only a workaround offered as a solution. I'd post a link but I'll let you look for it yourself if you don't believe me. This is inexcusable in a smartphone in 2014. For all the chatter about WP being a "half-baked" OS it seems the fine folks in Cupertino forgot to turn the oven on.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Similar to misconceptions about Windows Phone, there are misconceptions about Android as well.

Android is not as difficult as people make it out to be and you aren't forced to try out the plethora of launchers.

Just pin your favorite apps to the homescreen, or pin the widgets, not very hard.

The point about iOS devices being overpriced is true but looking past that iOS or iPhone are not bad.

Plus the Lumia 1520 costs around $60k in my country, if you truly care about value for money get a Nexus or OnePlus One.

As far as apps on Windows Phone go, Candy Crush is just one of them. The Windows Phone Store also lacks a lot of quality 3D titles such as Shadowgun or Dead Trigger.

Plus users complain that the quality of graphics in games is better on Android and iOS as opposed to Windows Phone, an example would be Asphalt 8 which some reviewers say looks like a PS2 game on Windows Phone, I somewhat agree.

All OSes have something great about them and in the end it just depends on which OS offers the most features that users prefer. As far as apps go, I'll say this:

iOS often gets apps first and amazing apps that other platforms sometimes never get, due to the small number of iPhones optimization insures barely any crashes and apps often look their best on iOS.

Android apps have an okay, and sometimes great design but what they do have are apps that have the most functionality when compared to iOS and Windows Phone counterparts but sometimes a bit unstable because providing optimization for all kinds of hardware is different.

Windows Phone apps have a nice and clean design(mostly) however often lack behind in frequent updates, functionality and sometimes performance. There is a serious lack of apps on this platform which may not be apparent to everyone but nonetheless there is a serious lack of apps, and quality apps in general.

TL;DR Version:

iOS apps: most beautiful and stable
Android apps: most customizable and functional
Windows Phone: Clean UI but lacking a lot of functionality

If you dislike windows phone so much, why are you here. You do realize this is Windows Phone Central so you are going to face a lot of biased opinions. I agree with your opinion but how does relate to the pure hate towards the windows platform from salesmen, customer services, bloggers, tech websites and even people I know who haven't even tried the phone out for themselves(They loved it when I showed it to them)

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad you asked. The iPhone is already on iOS 7.x and has been on the market since '07. Someone please explain to me why Apple, who builds only one phone, has an issue with opening PDF files from email attachments. It is a documented issue with only a workaround offered as a solution. I'd post a link but I'll let you look for it yourself if you don't believe me. This is inexcusable in a smartphone in 2014. For all the chatter about WP being a "half-baked" OS it seems the fine folks in Cupertino forgot to turn the oven on.
So let me get this straight, just because the iPhone cannot open a PDF, it's worthy of being called an iJunk to you? That makes a lot of sense. Why is it that Windows Phone, which is made by a company who specializes in productivity, isn't capable of printing documents or photos? Do you think it's fair to call a device "junk" because it's lacking one capability?
The iPhone is a fantastic device. I don't own one, but it's obvious to most people that it is.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

But that IS the point. You can't look past it. People are comparing the likes of the Nokia 930/Icon with the iPhone 5s which when you consider the difference in price between the two is just ludicrous.

For example, O2 in the UK price the 32GB 5s at ?640 (almost $1000) while the 930 is ?480, so that's a ?160 difference for a phone with a 1 inch smaller screen and lower resolution. With all that against it, the iPhone really needs to be superior in some way to even come close to justifying the difference.

Personally I'm happier with my ?140 change, larger screen and better resolution, NFC, DLNA, FM radio....

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If you dislike windows phone so much, why are you here. You do realize this is Windows Phone Central

Where did he say that he dislikes Windows Phone? IT IS possible to like WP and other platforms as well. Everything he said is the truth, and just because someone doesn't jump on the "Android & iOS" sucks bandwagon, doesn't mean they hate Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte