Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree. I'm not a big fan of iOS(I used to be but now I dislike the utter simplicity and navigation, just my opinion) but I enjoy using Android devices, especially Samsung and HTC. I haven't really gotten the chance to use the LG G3 yet which is said to really simplify their interface and make it nicer looking, less cluttered and easier to use. Supposedly.
Nevertheless, even though I prefer Windows Phone 8.1 OS to Apple's iOS or Google's Android that doesn't make them bad OS. They're mature, and you can say whatever you want they have been around longer then Windows Phones and have had a lot longer to polish their OS. Windows Phones are still on that track.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Haha, that seems like it'd be fun to find their line and stay just behind it. But at the same time it sounds infuriating if you can't get anything serious done.
How is any system supposed to improve without criticism? You can't go "Oh, well all of this is good. But what about what's bad about it?" "NO NOT ALLOWED. ONLY GOOD." Nothing gets improved.
As long as the points someone makes are valid and logical, who are we to discern that they're haters? If anything, they are only trying to improve the interface so they may like it even more then before. There is a difference between pointing out what doesn't work and telling someone why the system sucks.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Perfect example! For something to do I read the reviews for the Nokia Lumia 1520 in the forum, and I found a guy that bought the 1520 after owning an iPhone and an Android and pointed out every problem, big or small, he had with both the phone and the interface. Everyone got on his back about how picky he was being, but as I was reading his problems I noticed that every single problem he had(except for the lack of apps) was solved in the 8.1 update. Criticism is good for a system.
He said he liked it but his problems were currently outweighing the good. Now all of his problems are gone.(Unless he finds new ones of course.)

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
The reason people hate Windows Phones is ignorance I believe. Android phones are cheap and abundant, meaning they're all you see. Only thing is, I know that most people who do use a Windows Phone love it. Maybe the problem with Microsoft is the lack of top notch phones. They have the 1520(love it) and the Icon/930(why two names?), but the average guy pretends to know what a Snapdragon 801 processor is. They pretend to know what the specs mean and go for the phone with the greater numbers. Fact of the matter is, even though the 1520 can easily compete with high end Android phones, the Android numbers are bigger. Snapdragon 801 not 800. Gorilla Glass 3 not Gorilla Glass 2(what kind of choice was that Nokia?).
My stepmom had a 520 and loved the interface, but she uses a Samsung Galaxy Note now(II I think) because there was no defined high end Windows Phone worth buying. And she thinks the Note is too big so the 1520 is out of the question.
Advertise, Microsoft, and mark a defined point between your budget, your mid-range, and your high end devices.
Make a name for the Lumia devices. A design people see and go "That's a nice looking phone." "That's a Lumia."
And most of all, keep your 2.7%. Don't focus on your budget and mid-range like you are now. Take some time to release new high end phones. The best specs. The newest technology. Impress people. 1530, 1030.
It's hard for someone to say Microsoft isn't revolutionary and be honest about it. Yeah they came after Android and iOS but that doesn't mean everything came from the two main OS. Their interface is slick, original, and with the new update very nice looking indeed.
We 2.7% want high end phones, right? I like the interface but between a mid-range phone with Windows Phone 8.1 and a top notch Android...I'd buy the Android device.

At this point (after 4 years - WP 7 and 8) Microsoft has still not made any inroads to the mainstream market share in the Smartphone market and the only reason it is #3 is because Blackberry tanked, not because WP made any great leap forward in market share. As long as WP is in the low single digits all of the major complaints (mostly lack of apps or upgrades/maintenance to existing apps) will continue to be headwinds for WP. The worst was that last report where WP was down year after year from 8.8 Million Q2 2013 to 8.0 Million Q2 2014 is especially troubling when LG (an Android manufacturer that had been a bad #2 or #3 in Android market share) has stepped it up to 47.5 million in 2013 and on pace for 60 million in 2014. They haven't made a follow up Windows Phone since its mediocre entry at launch with WP 7. The fact that a second tier Android manufacturer outsells Windows phone by itself and WP market share in the US went from 3.7% in US marketshare in 2013 and dropped to 2.7% in 2014 is very troubling. The only reason Windows Phone isn't the second coming of WebOS is because MS is willing to lose Billions of dollars (like the XBox and Bing) because it needs to remain relevant in mobile. At some point, it may just decide that it's mobile share does fine with its apps and services for iOS and Android (Outlook, OneDrive, Skype, Office, etc) and drops Windows Phone (it will be out of the blue like the Zune was) as uneconomical or unnecessary. The biggest problem for Windows phone is every time a customer looks at their Credit Union's web site, their grocery store, their Brokerage, their bank, their fitness accessory and sees that they have apps for iOS and Android and crosses WP off there list the next time they shop for a phone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well said. I hope Windows Phones kick off, but the road they're going... But you also have to remember how much longer Android and iOS have had to mature both their interface and their app store.
They're polished. Microsoft has yet to reach that sheen, or the level of apps. They don't have the support of developers or app makers.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Where did he say that he dislikes Windows Phone? IT IS possible to like WP and other platforms as well. Everything he said is the truth, and just because someone doesn't jump on the "Android & iOS" sucks bandwagon, doesn't mean they hate Windows Phone.
Omg, I said I agree with his opinion. Calm down. I personally was upset about his criticism I won't lie. However I did say I agreed with him.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
@ trivor

No, i would say you are wrong.
Very few people use those stupid "fitness accessory" stuff.
(goddamn, just go running and to the gym...no need to track every fuc**** step or push-up you did...)
Very few people need a app from their grocery store.

90% of the people would never experience any kind of app problem using windows phone.
Why are they still buying much more Android devices ?
Because thats what everyone has, thats what their friend and family members use. And they want to use the same apps no matter how small and stupid (Candy Crush).
Why are they still buying much more iOS devices ?
Because Apple are genius at marketing and are hip and cool (unlike MS)

So, Windows Phone has to slowly crawl into peoples head, slowly gaining market share.
WP will never reach Android, maybe they will never reach iOS in global market share either but MS is not dumb, do you really think they spend billions of dollars just to kill WP in a few years ? They killed WP7 and Zune because they had WP8 !
They will maybe kill WP8 if WP9 is ready...
But they will not wave the white flag, they know, all they need to do on the mobile market is staying nr 3, maybe slowly gaining market share and reaching iOS sometime in the feature, they need to stay present in this field of tablets/phones, thats why they accept loosing billions with tablets/phones and i dont expect them to give up, this market (mobile) is just to important, they need a foothold...and maybe this foothold will slowly grow.

But they really fuc**** up the Hardware part recently, thats sadly true...

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not really hate, just apathy and ignorance.

I think at this point the only thing to kick-start WP is a super hero device with unique features designed to compete at the top end with iPhone 5S, Galaxy Note S5, HTC One, LG G3 and Sony Experia Z2. We already know the iPhone 6 is coming September 9th with sapphire screen and who knows what else as is projected to sell 80 million in the last 4 months of the year. Microsoft already cancelled McLaren which could have been that hero phone, which sends the signal to me that Nadella has officially given up on the platform.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad you asked. The iPhone is already on iOS 7.x and has been on the market since '07. Someone please explain to me why Apple, who builds only one phone, has an issue with opening PDF files from email attachments. It is a documented issue with only a workaround offered as a solution. I'd post a link but I'll let you look for it yourself if you don't believe me. This is inexcusable in a smartphone in 2014. For all the chatter about WP being a "half-baked" OS it seems the fine folks in Cupertino forgot to turn the oven on.
I believe you because I've never used an iPhone for very long however I remember one of my friend's who I emailed a presentation and he opened it on his iPhone 4S directly from the E-mail app.

However with that said maybe I was mistaken but one small thing does not make the iPhone bad in any way or 'iJunk' as you refer to it as.
If you dislike windows phone so much, why are you here. You do realize this is Windows Phone Central so you are going to face a lot of biased opinions. I agree with your opinion but how does relate to the pure hate towards the windows platform from salesmen, customer services, bloggers, tech websites and even people I know who haven't even tried the phone out for themselves(They loved it when I showed it to them)
When did I ever say I dislike Windows Phone? I used Windows Phone for over six months and even on the entry-level devices it worked very very well.

But you asked why people hated Windows Phone and I gave you logical reasons as to why.

Don't hate on me for telling the truth, if I've said anything wrong try to counter my arguments.
But that IS the point. You can't look past it. People are comparing the likes of the Nokia 930/Icon with the iPhone 5s which when you consider the difference in price between the two is just ludicrous.

For example, O2 in the UK price the 32GB 5s at ?640 (almost $1000) while the 930 is ?480, so that's a ?160 difference for a phone with a 1 inch smaller screen and lower resolution. With all that against it, the iPhone really needs to be superior in some way to even come close to justifying the difference.

Personally I'm happier with my ?140 change, larger screen and better resolution, NFC, DLNA, FM radio....
In many countries, like mine, all high-end devices are priced nearly the same, personally if I had enough money I too would go for a Windows Phone or Android flagship instead of iPhone but that is because I dislike the small screen.

But other than that iPhone gets updates for around 3 or more years and they make some of the fastest and best-in-class mobile cameras, look at the iPhone 4 and 4S who's cameras may not be amazing by today's standards however are still pretty good.

The Verge lists the iPhone 5S as the best phone on the market, I disagree a bit but I can understand their decision.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
The worst was that last report where WP was down year after year from 8.8 Million Q2 2013 to 8.0 Million Q2 2014 is especially troubling when LG (an Android manufacturer that had been a bad #2 or #3 in Android market......etc.etc.etc

Do you honestly think the buyer on the street gives a damn about all that, or is even aware of it? The main reason Windows phones don't sell is you can't get hold of them! If you want a flagship handset for example you have a choice of one. If you want a flagship Android handset you have a choice of LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola and so on and that's not including brands that are extremely popular in the east such as Xiaomi and Huawei, as well as all the rest.

Only Nokia have done anything about trying to bring some sort of choice to the market and unless you opt for the now outgoing HTC 8S or 8X then you really only have Nokia to choose from. Compare this with Samsung for example who must have at least 20 different android sets on the market at any given moment.

In my opinion if MS want to increase the market share they should have bought out one of the other manufacturers or at least got into bed with them, not Nokia who were doing OK already. This would have brought more choice to the market and the more choice punters have the more you will sell. I've worked in sales for over 30 years and that's a basic principle that has never changed.

Omar Zahran

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I started working at Cricket about a month and a half ago and I have been shocked at how little these people know about WP. In that time, I've become the "Windows guy". It really illustrates why WP can't gain much traction here.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well you know it's kind of a human nature thing I suspect...

Each time I walk into a meeting with lots of people, I set my "overly" large Non-iPhone device on the table so I can take a sip of coffee, and that's when it starts. Understand the environment here, everyone in the room has an iPhone or one/two have a small Android phone. The endless making fun and looking down their collective noses at me... yeah... it's when one of these people's opens their months to poke fun? Now, I really don't get all religious and irritated about it... I get mostly get annoyingly real. I choose what technology works best for me.

A quick true story... I sat down next to a really interesting "iPhone twerp" once in one of those group meetings, and this fellow peer pointed to my Note III and asked if I was compensating for something? I did a look at my phone then looked at his iPhone... and retorted with:

'Well if I was a teenage girl with small teenage fingers and hands that was interesting in texting my friends about the latest status of Justin B., then I would absolutely go with your smaller iPhone... but as it turns out I'm an older tech guru with not the best eyesight on the planet... so in that regard I do have a need to compensate a bit with having a larger surface in order to read text... but indeed if I really want to do professional enterprise level work on a mobile device [at this point I sit down my Note III and pull out my Lumia 1520], then I move over to some serious hardware. [I tap the 1520 a couple of times and pull up a dash board while I'm talking... then scroll down to his systems]... and speaking of which... I see a couple of your systems just went into a yellow state... you might want to check these out [as I show him my screen]'

- Yeap I don't get mean about it... I don't talk too loud or too fast... claim steady on. His iPhone does not have this little tool that I engineered. Well I don't do iPhone apps. Yes, reality bites back sometimes. Indeed, this guy does not sit next to me anymore in meetings. I wonder why? :wink:

I seldom ever allow anyone to make an enemy of me, of course the flip-side of that is not always true... if these people want to win an argument with me about technology, then they have to prove something real... not just push their opinion in my face.

Now back to the question.... why the hate? Because it's easy... you don't have to exercise the "little grey cells" and make an effort to understand why something different works for other people. But lets not kid ourselves here, there's lots of hate pushed back at things Android on this WP forum, and of course the normal troll behavior when it comes to iPhones. So much in fact that it has become impossible to carry on a discussion with some people...Ah, but then there's the power to ignore....

Now I could really give a crap what kind of phone the "iPhone Twerp" had, but since he engaged me with a question (or a poke in the ribs as it were)... I'm all too willing to have a bit of fun :devil: -but you will notice I wasn't hateful about it or put the guy down (well...mostly), but he did learn something... maybe not completely the right thing, but he certainly knows more than he did.

What does it matter who hates or loves WP? Experiment and explore as best you can... discover what works for you... and if that's just not your way.... never surrender your power to ignore.... but of course, you always have the option to join the herd and remain unhappy as you exercise your "hate muscle" - this gives people like myself something to Jibber-Jabber about :cool:

~ScottGeek.

Well done on your part!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
It is because app support is lacking.I want to play PS1 and DS games on my WP but there aren't any apps to do it what am i supposed to do ? IOS and Android even have PSP and N64 emulators all which are absent in WP.

There is a ps1 emulator in the store. EmiPsx I think it was called. Someone is working on a DS one but we will never get an N64 emulator because the code required to make it efficient so it's fast for every device is the same code used to create viruses so Microsoft does not allow it in the store. I'm not sure about PSP though.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Who plays emulator games on a phone ?
You would need one of those moga controller things.
Or just buy psp and install custom firmware and emulators on it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I think hate is the wrong word, but having tried just about every phone out there I think much of the criticism is misguided rather than "honest". Now I have bought my first WP phone I honestly don't think that iOS or Android are better or more enjoyable to use.

There are some criticisms as you would get with any product but they are not as bad as many reviews make them out to be. WP phones get absolutely slated by a lot of reviewers and leave the reader thinking they must be really awful, when nothing could be further from the truth. The rest of the smartphone-using world seem to slag them off without ever having even seen one. That's the real problem in my opinion.
I think this is the right answer!

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Who plays emulator games on a phone ?
You would need one of those moga controller things.
Or just buy psp and install custom firmware and emulators on it.
1. I play emulator games on my windows phone. I use VBA8 (Game boy/Game boy Advance) and Emigens(Sega Master System, CD, Game Gear and Mega Drive/Genesis.

2. There are touch screen controls that you can change. Most emulators support Moga so it is possible.

3. It's not convenient and people don't want to spend money. Sony has stopped making PSPs and iso it's really hard to find new ones. You can buy it second hand, but you don't have the same quality as if it was fresh.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What I find funny is the same people who makes fun of my Windows Phone are the same people who can't seem to take their eyes off of them like they saw Michael Jackson's ghost.

I have nothing against Android or iOS. In fact, I love both OSes too.. I own a Tab Pro that I seriously love.

I never had the 'app gap' sort of thing. My sis recently bought an Xperia and when she saw me using Instagram on my WP she said "I should've gotten a WP instead if I knew it had Instagram" She was mindblown by the camera of my 1520.

The problem is marketing. Microsoft needs to step it up on that department because seriously, it can already compete with Android and iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05