Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Who plays emulator games on a phone ?
You would need one of those moga controller things.
Or just buy psp and install custom firmware and emulators on it.

Why buy another device when your phone can play it too? I love the fact that I can play Pokemon on my Android tab. Still haven't experienced playing it on my WP though but it really is nice..

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Android held record-breaking 84.6% of the market in Q2 2014, Windows Phone drops down to 2.7%

It has dropped to 2.7 in global market share which is a bad thing however people are mocking wp in the forums. It happens in every single article. It's like they are scared or something. Just leave WP alone. It didn't do no harm to anyone. But in my opinion I actually think this is due to Microsoft creating it. There's a lot of hate towards microsoft despite the fact that they are most likely posting their comments on a windows computer, stupid right? Where do you guys think this hate comes from?

Not living up to their own hype and then proclaiming the next update will be their next big breakthrough. 8.1 hasn't been as big of a breakthrough as they hyped it up to be. Even the new "live lock screen" has turned out to be such a dud.

It's the waiting game and I think people are getting impatient and frustrated, and rightfully so.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So let me get this straight, just because the iPhone cannot open a PDF, it's worthy of being called an iJunk to you? That makes a lot of sense. Why is it that Windows Phone, which is made by a company who specializes in productivity, isn't capable of printing documents or photos? Do you think it's fair to call a device "junk" because it's lacking one capability?
The iPhone is a fantastic device. I don't own one, but it's obvious to most people that it is.

It was capable in previous versions and now it's not. Those of us who depend on email with attachments expect this type of functionality. It's very fair for me to call it junk because (A) it's my opinion and (B), others trash WP for lack of this and lack of that so we've earned that privilege. BTW, WP has been able to print since Mango. Kumo Print allows you to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Not living up to their own hype and then proclaiming the next update will be their next big breakthrough. 8.1 hasn't been as big of a breakthrough as they hyped it up to be. Even the new "live lock screen" has turned out to be such a dud.

It's the waiting game and I think people are getting impatient and frustrated, and rightfully so.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I sure don't mind waiting as long as there is progress and the OS is solid. I guess the newer generation is not as patient and requires instant gratification.

Sure, it would be nice to have everything everyone else has and more, and to have it right now, but I think the Windows Phone OS has taken a huge leap forward with 8.1, and Update 1 seems to close the gap even more (and just about closes any gap there still remains between WP, Android, and IOS) and it will be available in a few months, plus there is WP9 coming in about a year.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Agree. Rather wait for a good and solid update than a small weekly one that does more damage than good.

Agreed. And I still maintain that a lot of the reasons for these frequent updates is to push people into buying a new phone. Android phones are famous for it, some phones get the latest update, others are not supported so you are forced to either put up with what you have or go buy a new phone. That's possibly where Apple have scored highly by ensuring older models can use the latest iOS.

9 times out of 10 these updates are overhyped, underwhelming nonsense anyway. I remember not too long ago when android removed the much loved and used mute button slider from the lock screen and replaced it with a camera button, pointless on many phones that already had a dedicated camera button but they did it anyway. Minor changes that are intended to invoke renewed interest in the phones rather than be of any real practical use.

I for one gave better things to do than keep relearning how my phone works every five minutes

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. And I still maintain that a lot of the reasons for these frequent updates is to push people into buying a new phone. Android phones are famous for it, some phones get the latest update, others are not supported so you are forced to either put up with what you have or go buy a new phone. That's possibly where Apple have scored highly by ensuring older models can use the latest iOS.

9 times out of 10 these updates are overhyped, underwhelming nonsense anyway. I remember not too long ago when android removed the much loved and used mute button slider from the lock screen and replaced it with a camera button, pointless on many phones that already had a dedicated camera button but they did it anyway. Minor changes that are intended to invoke renewed interest in the phones rather than be of any real practical use.

I for one gave better things to do than keep relearning how my phone works every five minutes

The 4S is missing a lot of features, the 4 even more and the 3GS cannot run iOS 7. I wouldn't call that support for older models. Can't throw the WP7 incompatibility with WP8 into the mix because WP7 and iPhone 4 were both released the summer of 2010. They both work but neither can be at today's OS versions.

I won't even get on Android for the same reasons. Gingerbread owners are in the same boat. Even an original Nexus can't upgrade to Jelly Bean. Custom ROMs don't count.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
BTW, WP has been able to print since Mango. Kumo Print allows you to do so.
It supposedly won't work with Microsoft services, and can't print emails and attachments. Sounds awesome. People don't like using wonky 3rd party work arounds, and it certainly doesn't beat the native printing capabilities that Android has.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The 4S is missing a lot of features, the 4 even more and the 3GS cannot run iOS 7. I wouldn't call that support for older models. Can't throw the WP7 incompatibility with WP8 into the mix because WP7 and iPhone 4 were both released the summer of 2010. They both work but neither can be at today's OS versions.

I won't even get on Android for the same reasons. Gingerbread owners are in the same boat. Even an original Nexus can't upgrade to Jelly Bean. Custom ROMs don't count.

The 4S and 4 for their time and even today are really good devices albeit have very small screens.

Apple provides updates for around 3 or more years, something I appreciate. Plus exisiting Windows Phone 7 devices weren't updated because of single core processors whereas the single core iPhone 4 did get the iOS 7 update and the iPhone 4S is getting iOS 8.

I'm not a fan of iPhone but I give credit where credit is due.

As far as Android goes yes there is somewhat of an update problem but a lot of updates in further iterations of Android are available on the Play Store and as far Nexus devices go they get support for 18 months and sometimes longer.

The reason Galaxy Nexus didn't get updated was because the company that had made its processor had exited the market making it harder for Google to obtain the required libraries and stuff to get to the next version.

Windows Phone has a pretty bad record with updates and I hope they improve this time, the first device to reach EOL is the HTC 8S(just today).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Apple provides updates for around 3 or more years, something I appreciate. Plus exisiting Windows Phone 7 devices weren't updated because of single core processors whereas the single core iPhone 4 did get the iOS 7 update and the iPhone 4S is getting iOS 8.

That's exactly what I am saying. I know older iPhones won't necessarily have the functionality of the latest model, that's to be expected but in comparison there are still Android 4.0 models on sale (and I can even think of at least one gingerbread 2.3 phone still being offered on contract in the UK, albeit a cheapy) with no upgrade available. Even some of the more expensive phones only got one update shortly after release and that was your lot.

Given the frequency at which android release updates, that's ridiculous, but not uncommon. That wouldn't happen with iOS and I personally think it's ridiculous that you can have a phone a few months old then find out that there won't be an OS upgrade released for it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Why buy another device when your phone can play it too? I love the fact that I can play Pokemon on my Android tab. Still haven't experienced playing it on my WP though but it really is nice..
Pokemon is awesome on wp, you can even battle other people over wifi/bluetooth

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It supposedly won't work with Microsoft services, and can't print emails and attachments. Sounds awesome. People don't like using wonky 3rd party work arounds, and it certainly doesn't beat the native printing capabilities that Android has.

I don't know about the MS services because my office is all Google (certainly not my choice) but I do know that attachments can be printed since I've printed quite a few. As for wonky 3rd party workarounds, I'm not aware of any native apps for printing on Android. I use PrinterShare even on my POS company iPhone and it works decently. The only "native" printing app I've ever come across was the HP Printing Solution that came on Windows Mobile iPAQs from factory. In my view, if it does not come as an OEM app, it's not native.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
The ability to print from Android doesn't come from an app, it's built into the OS.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Really? I never had any joy printing until an app appeared for my Epson printer, and that's the only way I ever got any of my android phones to print anything. And even that's a real pain. To print an ebay packing slip for example you have to open the page from within the app (you can't print from the browser) then it's a matter of fiddling around with the print settings.

I never managed to print anything from either our Samsung or Xerox lasers.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The ability to print from Android doesn't come from an app, it's built into the OS.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

I have this G-Pro I'm playing with and it runs KitKat. It has a printing option in settings but it directs you to whatever app you have installed which in my case is PrinterShare. It's not a native app but more of a shortcut.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss