Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have this G-Pro I'm playing with and it runs KitKat. It has a printing option in settings but it directs you to whatever app you have installed which in my case is PrinterShare. It's not a native app but more of a shortcut.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app
Not sure about your device but I am running a Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 and have never really done any printing via the phone but I tried it right now and it isn't redirecting me to any other apps.

abu5emu6.jpg

pesu4use.jpg

pyhegy9y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about your device but I am running a Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 and have never really done any printing via the phone but I tried it right now and it isn't redirecting me to any other apps.

I think you'll find that the "HP Print Service Plugin" is the app it is redirecting you to, plugin effectively being another word for app.

I had to install the Epson plugin/app before it worked with my printer but it's so fiddly it is pretty redundant really. After all your printer is almost certainly going to be in the same location as your main PC which is much easier than using your mobile to try print anything. Has anybody seriously used their phone to print anything away from their home/office?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I think you'll find that the "HP Print Service Plugin" is the app it is redirecting you to, plugin effectively being another word for app.

I had to install the Epson plugin/app before it worked with my printer but it's so fiddly it is pretty redundant really. After all your printer is almost certainly going to be in the same location as your main PC which is much easier than using your mobile to try print anything. Has anybody seriously used their phone to print anything away from their home/office?
Nope, I haven't had to print anything in quite a while now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Kumo is a Google Cloud printing app. If the printer in your home or office is connected, you can print to it from wherever. That's how I use it.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If the majority has buyer's regret, chances are that they'll blindly defend their purchase even further.
And take out their frustrations on a minority with a perceived worse product.

You're describing Cognitive Dissonance which is a Fair point. But as a WP user since 2011 I can't help feeling everything in WP is too little too late. The only good thing going for it is the Metro/Modern UI.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Love my L1520 but when Microsoft supports osx with Skype but not wp7 users what r the average users like us to think that ms doesn't believe in their own OS I think its all in the eye of the beholder.hopefully they will find a way to satisfy wp7 users.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Love my L1520 but when Microsoft supports osx with Skype but not wp7 users what r the average users like us to think that ms doesn't believe in their own OS I think its all in the eye of the beholder.hopefully they will find a way to satisfy wp7 users.
I think WP7 is at the end of life or close to. Not much to satisfy these users. They need to move on to WP8 devices or move to another platform. Microsoft is not obligated to support an outdated and crappy OS. WP7 is based on Windows CE which is completely different than WP8 arquitecture. That's why they can't upgrade.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't count on it, it's a numbers game. They dropped support for Skype on WP7 and Symbian because their bean counters said there aren't enough WP7 & Symbian users to justify adopting the system for 2 additional dead-as-doornail OSes. I love WP7 and the HTC Titan but unfortunately they're ending up as footnotes in the history of great smartphones and their OSes. There should be some plots available right next to WM, webOS and Palm OS to bury these 2.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't count on it, it's a numbers game. They dropped support for Skype on WP7 and Symbian because their bean counters said there aren't enough WP7 & Symbian users to justify adopting the system for 2 additional dead-as-doornail OSes. I love WP7 and the HTC Titan but unfortunately they're ending up as footnotes in the history of great smartphones and their OSes. There should be some plots available right next to WM, webOS and Palm OS to bury these 2.
Just wanted to point out that Skype still supports Android 2.3, but not Windows Phone 7.

Microsoft does often give priority to Android and iOS before Windows Phone and this is apparent with many of their apps like OneDrive or Outlook.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
to answer the question-why so much hate for WP
its because people on the internet(reviewers and xda forums etc) are extra pro-android in a very non healthy way most of the time(not saying android and its users are bad dont get me wrong),people havent used a WP
just because its is a fairly new OS and some people are ignorant enough to believe these reviewers and blindly follow the stream
people who left WP because of WP7 limitations still dont understand that WP8 is a totally new OS
its the same situation with BB10 and BBOS
frankly i support and love the alternate operating systems all of them-symbian,Meego,Maemo,Ubuntu touch,WP,BB10
not only does each update have alot to offer but it also feels fresh
android and ios feel dated and upgrading doesnt bring anything really very tempting to the table
yes ios 6.1.3 is still my favourite os on my ipad out of all my tablets(till i get my first Windows tablet,only have androids and ipads right now) but as a phone os it feels very limited etc,on the ipad however its perfect
android is neither here neither there-people have love-hate for it and the android users in my life will never admit androids issues are present
i hope no one takes my comments negatively,just stated what i noticed about my friends and my gadgets etc

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that Skype still supports Android 2.3, but not Windows Phone 7.

There are probably more Gingerbread (Android 2.3) devices still in use than WPs sold in their entire history, counting both WP7 & 8. I don't think Microsoft stopped supporting WP7 for technical reasons, but rather because the number of active devices made it not worthwhile anymore.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
There are probably more Gingerbread (Android 2.3) devices still in use than WPs sold in their entire history, counting both WP7 & 8. I don't think Microsoft stopped supporting WP7 for technical reasons, but rather because the number of active devices made it not worthwhile anymore.

The trouble is it doesn't send out a good signal to those considering buying a Windows phone. I fully understand the relative pointlessness of not continuing to support WP7 - that's not to say I agree with it - but new or potential new users won't realise any of this.

Ironically we've been having a similar argument all day on another forum with a tech geek who thinks it's entirely justified for Microsoft to keep expecting people to fork out for new operating systems because they have chosen to stop supporting old ones, although it wasn't a debate about WP. I don't. They have made billions from millions of people and businesses all over the world who bought the devices and OS's in good faith, only to find it scrapped a few years down the line. I think if it's that fickle they need to give something back by reducing prices. Tech geek couldn't understand that the bottom line is not to produce the latest cutting edge technology, but to make as much money as possible, same as any other business.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Please stop with the wp7 talk about skype. 8 and 8.1 users are getting reliable notifications thanks to this. Previously the skype app used peer to peer servers which wp7 could support but with the new servers, wp7 can't support it. It is due to technical limitations. Just let wp7 burn, perish and be forgotten.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The trouble is it doesn't send out a good signal to those considering buying a Windows phone. I fully understand the relative pointlessness of not continuing to support WP7 - that's not to say I agree with it - but new or potential new users won't realise any of this.

Considering that WP7 is hardly heard of anymore, I doubt that dropping Skype support will make any noticeable impact in this regard. And I would think that Microsoft would have considered this effect in their decision.

Ironically we've been having a similar argument all day on another forum with a tech geek who thinks it's entirely justified for Microsoft to keep expecting people to fork out for new operating systems because they have chosen to stop supporting old ones, although it wasn't a debate about WP. I don't. They have made billions from millions of people and businesses all over the world who bought the devices and OS's in good faith, only to find it scrapped a few years down the line. I think it's it's that fickle they need to give something back by reducing prices.

We've paid for every new Windows version to date; I'm not sure why we think the next one should be free. It would be nice, but I don't think it should be expected. I don't think Microsoft owes us anything. I personally have never been forced to spend a single penny on Microsoft products. It has always been by choice. What's going to make the situation sticky is if Threshold or a later Windows version is indeed a completely unified OS; meaning that it's the same on the PC, tablet, and phone. Mobile OS updates have always been free. So say Windows 10 is released in a few years and is available for all devices. Does Microsoft make it free for phones and tablets, but charge for it on the PC? I can't see that happening, and fragmentation would occur. OS unification would force the issue.

Tech geek couldn't understand that the bottom line is not to produce the latest cutting edge technology, but to make as much money as possible, same as any other business.

I certainly agree with you there. Microsoft's bottom line IS to make as much money as possible, the same as any other business. The reason they strive to produce the latest cutting edge technology is because it will help them make money.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
to answer the question-why so much hate for WP
its because people on the internet(reviewers and xda forums etc) are extra pro-android in a very non healthy way most of the time(not saying android and its users are bad dont get me wrong),people havent used a WP
just because its is a fairly new OS and some people are ignorant enough to believe these reviewers and blindly follow the stream
people who left WP because of WP7 limitations still dont understand that WP8 is a totally new OS
its the same situation with BB10 and BBOS
frankly i support and love the alternate operating systems all of them-symbian,Meego,Maemo,Ubuntu touch,WP,BB10
not only does each update have alot to offer but it also feels fresh
android and ios feel dated and upgrading doesnt bring anything really very tempting to the table
yes ios 6.1.3 is still my favourite os on my ipad out of all my tablets(till i get my first Windows tablet,only have androids and ipads right now) but as a phone os it feels very limited etc,on the ipad however its perfect
android is neither here neither there-people have love-hate for it and the android users in my life will never admit androids issues are present
i hope no one takes my comments negatively,just stated what i noticed about my friends and my gadgets etc
Android and iOS don't feel dated, we'll iOS kind of does. But as far as Android goes Android Kitkat was a pretty big visual overhaul and Android L is an even bigger one. Infact iOS and Android have changed more than the original Windows Phone OS, so this argument is invalid.

As far as reviewers go, most good reviewers are very balanced and do appreciate when a good device is made. The criticism done on Windows Phone is not the hardware being utilized(which reviewers usually love) but the fact that Windows Phone isn't optimized or the app ecosystem isn't advanced enough to take advantage of the hardware.

The only thing Windows Phone, primarily Nokia has going for it is the camera. I have seen countless times where the Verge, Pocketnow and Marques Brownlee have said that the Lumia range have the best shooters, especially in lowlight.

But the amazing cameras aren't the only things to justify the price and honestly Windows Phone lacks quality and functionality in a lot of the apps, and don't get me started on the games which are entirely not there or have much worse graphics than the Android/iOS counterparts.

Windows Phone needs to step up and offer better features in their own OS, and they are very far off from beating Android and iOS which got years ahead of experience.

But your reasons for why WP is hated is wrong, reviewers are balanced, most are at least.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
hahahahahahahaha
Read the lumia 930 reviews. Some of the reasons for cons are stupid. nano SIM is a con, even though the iPhone has a nano sim and no one complains. Uninspired design because it's not the same polycarbonate 920 and 930 design. Samesung doesn't change much with their s phone. Nobody cared. Specs are from last year? It's a windows phone, its optimised like an iphone. No need for the latest proccesor. They will say anything to keep the score lower than iphones and androids.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
We've paid for every new Windows version to date; I'm not sure why we think the next one should be free

I'm not saying we shouldn't pay for the latest version but that support should be available for as long as it is needed for an older OS if it is still used by millions of people around the world (such as XP). MS are stopping support on the premise that the newer versions are more secure.

As true as that might be, I do not believe that they are ending support because they can't get the better of those who have found their way around the security flaws (if they can't then perhaps they should be employing the hackers) but because they want you to spend more money on the new products. I'm thinking more in terms of businesses rather than you and me. I'm thinking of a local owner of a small number of stores who has spent tens of thousands on a new point of sale system because MS are soon to end support of the old one.

As he said at a recent meeting, "We're being forced to buy a new system that doesn't do anything that the old system doesn't do, on the premise that the new one is more secure and is supported if we need the support. Why can't they just support the old one for as long as we need it? We paid them enough! It wouldn't happen with anything else, we can still get parts for our 12 year old vans and our 20 year old lifts..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo