Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying we shouldn't pay for the latest version but that support should be available for as long as it is needed for an older OS if it is still used by millions of people around the world (such as XP). MS are stopping support on the premise that the newer versions are more secure.

As true as that might be, I do not believe that they are ending support because they can't get the better of those who have found their way around the security flaws (if they can't then perhaps they should be employing the hackers) but because they want you to spend more money on the new products. I'm thinking more in terms of businesses rather than you and me. I'm thinking of a local owner of a small number of stores who has spent tens of thousands on a new point of sale system because MS are soon to end support of the old one.

As he said at a recent meeting, "We're being forced to buy a new system that doesn't do anything that the old system doesn't do, on the premise that the new one is more secure and is supported if we need the support. Why can't they just support the old one for as long as we need it? We paid them enough! It wouldn't happen with anything else, we can still get parts for our 12 year old vans and our 20 year old lifts..."

XP needed to die. It is almost 13 years old. Continuing to provide security updates for a 13 year-old OS is like expecting a manufacturers' warranty on a 13 year-old clunker of a car.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you serious? I'm not going to respond beyond that because I fear I'll be inviting something even more incredulous.
Well I said "most" but to prove it I would recommend watching Marques Brownlee's reviews of the Lumia 920, 1020 and 1520.

Or watch Pocketnow's review and After the Buzz about Lumia 1020 and 1520.

Or go read the Verge, techradar, phonearena, gsmarena, endadget and a dozen other places, mostly you will find balanced reviews of Windows Phone.

Infact some sites like Pocketnow have people saying that wished all camera sensors we're as good as the 1020 41 MP Beast. Plus Pocketnow's Micheal Fisher owns a Lumia 1020 and they also have a dedicated Windows Phone expert, Adam Z Lein.

I've also seen them go out of their way to complement Windows Phone, while watching a camera comparison of the Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8 the host said something along these lines:

"Neither the M8 or S5 excel at lowlight, if you do a lot of lowlight photography you are better off with a high-end Lumia."

So other than just giving ignorant responses try to come up with proof to back up your statements, I've never seen reputable reviewers criticize Windows Phone where it's not justified.
hahahahahahahaha
Being the OP you should at least show a higher level of maturity, starting this thread you knew that people we're going to come up with theories and other people we're going to disagree and come up with their own responses.

Funny how you talk about other people being narrow minded about trying Windows Phone while you simply reply with a 'hahahah' when someone else comes up with a theory.

Let me tell you something when I tried to convince other people to switch to Windows Phone. They had the same reaction as you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
XP needed to die. It is almost 13 years old. Continuing to provide security updates for a 13 year-old OS is like expecting a manufacturers' warranty on a 13 year-old clunker of a car.

The thing is that the main reason is the cost of maintaining something they made billions out of, far more profit in having people pay all those billions all over again than spend some of the billions they made in providing a service. Given the number of people still using it. it's not right and that's the point.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that the main reason is the cost of maintaining something they made billions out of, far more profit in having people pay all those billions all over again than spend some of the billions they made in providing a service. Given the number of people still using it. it's not right and that's the point.

Those users got complacent due to the unusually long support. Microsoft never supported other versions of Windows that long.

I wouldn't expect a 13 year-old OS to be supported any more than a 13 year-old car.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I said "most" but to prove it I would recommend watching Marques Brownlee's reviews of the Lumia 920, 1020 and 1520.

Or watch Pocketnow's review and After the Buzz about Lumia 1020 and 1520.

Or go read the Verge, techradar, phonearena, gsmarena, endadget and a dozen other places, mostly you will find balanced reviews of Windows Phone.

Infact some sites like Pocketnow have people saying that wished all camera sensors we're as good as the 1020 41 MP Beast. Plus Pocketnow's Micheal Fisher owns a Lumia 1020 and they also have a dedicated Windows Phone expert, Adam Z Lein.

I've also seen them go out of their way to complement Windows Phone, while watching a camera comparison of the Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8 the host said something along these lines:

"Neither the M8 or S5 excel at lowlight, if you do a lot of lowlight photography you are better off with a high-end Lumia."

So other than just giving ignorant responses try to come up with proof to back up your statements, I've never seen reputable reviewers criticize Windows Phone where it's not justified.

Being the OP you should at least show a higher level of maturity, starting this thread you knew that people we're going to come up with theories and other people we're going to disagree and come up with their own responses.

Funny how you talk about other people being narrow minded about trying Windows Phone while you simply reply with a 'hahahah' when someone else comes up with a theory.

Let me tell you something when I tried to convince other people to switch to Windows Phone. They had the same reaction as you.

Every example you mentioned is a review of a particular device that runs WP. Look for articles regarding the OS itself and it might as well be the comments section on a WPCentral thread regarding lack of customization, ugly live tiles or any one of the hundred bellyaches that former Android users spew. As Judge Judy would say, "your objections are noted and overruled, now get out!"

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Those users got complacent due to the unusually long support. Microsoft never supported other versions of Windows that long.

I wouldn't expect a 13 year-old OS to be supported any more than a 13 year-old car.

You're missing the point. According to an article in one of the PC magazines recently, at least 30% of the world;s PCs are still running XP and the figure is far higher for business users. Can you name a 13 year old car that 30%+ of the world's population are still driving?

Besides, you need to take the date from when XP was LAST sold, not when it was first sold and that was far more recently. According to Wikipedia:

"Sales of Windows XP licenses to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) ceased on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010...." - some of those netbooks were still on general sale to the public in early 2012 and that paints a very different picture that the misguided "13 year old" one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You're missing the point. According to an article in one of the PC magazines recently, at least 30% of the world;s PCs are still running XP and the figure is far higher for business users. Can you name a 13 year old car that 30%+ of the world's population are still driving?

Besides, you need to take the date from when XP was LAST sold, not when it was first sold and that was far more recently. According to Wikipedia:

"Sales of Windows XP licenses to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) ceased on June 30, 2008, but continued for netbooks until October 2010...." - some of those netbooks were still on general sale to the public in early 2012 and that paints a very different picture that the misguided "13 year old" one.

I think you are the one who missed the point. You're assuming that those computers were all purchased 13 years ago. What Laura meant was that XP was supported for an unusually long time as compared to other systems and other OS makers.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Give it time Windows Phone OS is getting stronger and stronger, with each new update its providing more features. I had an Android and was so unhappy with it, slow and boring. My sisters have the iPhone and they are breaking their hearts over the new update, freezing and such.

Remember me saying this Android and iPhone will become obsolete and WP will be the victor. Slow and steady wins the race. Windows has great phone manufacturers under them too, indestructible Nokia, dependable HTC so like Windows has a powerhouse!!

Sent from my Lumia 520 via Windows Phone Central app

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows Xp service pack two was the best operating system Microsoft ever made. I'm from the Windows 98 generation. Loved it that's why I'm a technology obsessed nut lol. Mr. Gates your an absolute legend of a man!!!!

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Every example you mentioned is a review of a particular device that runs WP. Look for articles regarding the OS itself and it might as well be the comments section on a WPCentral thread regarding lack of customization, ugly live tiles or any one of the hundred bellyaches that former Android users spew. As Judge Judy would say, "your objections are noted and overruled, now get out!"
The people who comment are different from the reviewers, I would like if you direct me to a review of Windows Phone where the reviewers have unfairly criticized it.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I think you are the one who missed the point. You're assuming that those computers were all purchased 13 years ago. What Laura meant was that XP was supported for an unusually long time as compared to other systems and other OS makers.

No you're missing the point and somehow seem to have got it completely the wrong way around. Laura was the one who said that she wouldn't expect a 13 year old car to be supported. That's not what I meant, I said exactly the opposite if you read it carefully, that you need to consider when XP was LAST sold, not the ones sold 13 years ago.

Many of the computers that are around running XP are no more than a couple of years old and that's my point. The "experts" are trying to deceive us into thinking that if something is running XP it must be 13 years old but there were stores selling new netbooks just 2 years ago that were installed with XP.

Besides I have seen others using the same argument, that 13 year old cars should not be supported (in fact the truth is you can almost certainly still get parts for many 13 year old cars in most cases so it's a bad analogy anyway) and I've also seen other items used in the same analogy, clothes for example, but it just silly. If we are going to use that argument should we scrap every bus, train and boat every ten years? Should we knock down and rebuild our houses every 15 years?

The point is, which on various forums everybody seems to be missing, is that a huge percentage of the world's population - hundreds of millions of people - are still using XP so having made billions out of it Microsoft should continue to support it. If there were only a few people left then fair enough, drop support but that's not the case. Microsoft don't care about what OS you are using or about your security online, they simply want to make more money and what better way than to force everybody into buying the latest OS? After all, that's how they made their billions in the first place.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I tend to agree that there is a hate for Microsoft. But I won't go that far to say that tech review sites publish biased reviews against windows phone because of Microsoft. Yes, we do get biased review now and then. Like Engadget's review of Lumia 630.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/17/nokia-lumia-630-review/

Sorry for repetition I know this has been discussed in some of the threads before.

As for hate towards Microsoft, I believe that spews from their dominance in PC market for so long.
Yes, some critics are to the point. Are Microsoft preferring other platforms with their services? Yes. Should the issues like XBox music be expected from a software giant like Microsoft? No.

But the thing is Microsoft had been at top in PC market for so long(they still are) that they they couldn't see the shift in the air. Not only were they late to capture mobile OS but also to provide their services(which form the majority of their profit) on those platforms.

Now, they have realized this thing. So, what they are doing is that they are providing their services like Office, one drive, outlook on other platforms which make the majority of their profits to secure them first while also, slowly working their way toward building their own platforms and ecosystems. And I must say, I'm pretty pleased with their strategy recently.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I find it intriguing when around 70% journalist I've seen uses a Mac, it just doesn't feel right, its not like they are wrong to do that but I think this might contribute a bit to to not liking Microsoft. Almost every YouTuber I've watched uses a Mac. Especially the tech geeks. The Verge is a good example.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I find it intriguing when around 70% journalist I've seen uses a Mac, it just doesn't feel right, its not like they are wrong to do that but I think this might contribute a bit to to not liking Microsoft. Almost every YouTuber I've watched uses a Mac. Especially the tech geeks. The Verge is a good example.
There are several reasons for using Mac over Windows, this doesn't contribute to hate towards Windows.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No you're missing the point and somehow seem to have got it completely the wrong way around. Laura was the one who said that she wouldn't expect a 13 year old car to be supported. That's not what I meant, I said exactly the opposite if you read it carefully, that you need to consider when XP was LAST sold, not the ones sold 13 years ago.

Many of the computers that are around running XP are no more than a couple of years old and that's my point. The "experts" are trying to deceive us into thinking that if something is running XP it must be 13 years old but there were stores selling new netbooks just 2 years ago that were installed with XP.

Besides I have seen others using the same argument, that 13 year old cars should not be supported (in fact the truth is you can almost certainly still get parts for many 13 year old cars in most cases so it's a bad analogy anyway) and I've also seen other items used in the same analogy, clothes for example, but it just silly. If we are going to use that argument should we scrap every bus, train and boat every ten years? Should we knock down and rebuild our houses every 15 years?

The point is, which on various forums everybody seems to be missing, is that a huge percentage of the world's population - hundreds of millions of people - are still using XP so having made billions out of it Microsoft should continue to support it. If there were only a few people left then fair enough, drop support but that's not the case. Microsoft don't care about what OS you are using or about your security online, they simply want to make more money and what better way than to force everybody into buying the latest OS? After all, that's how they made their billions in the first place.

Ok, riddle me this.

By your logic you state MS should still support it because it was a great OS, they made serious paper on it and devices were still being sold with XP on them as of recently. Right? That's your argument?

There are still brand new HP TouchPad tablets being sold by outlets (Woot, among others). Should HP/Palm still support them?

There are some 2006-era eMacs also being sold BNIB online. Ya think Apple is still honoring those for warranty purposes considering they are PowerPC units?

C'mon man!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China? If the boss at The Verge says "we use Macs", that's the end of the conversation. I've never seen a workplace where the employees dictate what office equipment they use.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, riddle me this.

By your logic you state MS should still support it because it was a great OS, they made serious paper on it and devices were still being sold with XP on them as of recently. Right? That's your argument?

There are still brand new HP TouchPad tablets being sold by outlets (Woot, among others). Should HP/Palm still support them?

There are some 2006-era eMacs also being sold BNIB online. Ya think Apple is still honoring those for warranty purposes considering they are PowerPC units?

C'mon man!

No, I didn't say it was because it was a great OS (and I'm not saying it wasn't), but once again the difference between the HP/Apple products you mention is that there are relatively few of them out there. People are buying those probably in the knowledge that there is likely to be little, if any, support. The point with XP is that there are HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people out there still using it, in fact I read in one report that over 30% of the world's computers are STILL using XP. If there are THAT MANY users then YES, Microsoft should continue to support it.

A lot of the younger readers won't appreciate this but at one time the world produced quality products that were built to last for as long as possible. now we produce goods with as short a lifespan as possible to effectively force us into buying replacements as often as possible. How do you think companies like Microsoft, Samsung, and dozens of others I can mention got so big so quickly? MS could afford to support XP for a long time to come if they wanted to and would have still made a huge profit out of it but from their point of view it makes more sense to make more money by forcing people to buy new kit.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't know how old you are but I remember how bad Detroit was in the 70s. Back to your post, I simply can't wrap my head around your suggestion that MS should have had to support XP as long as they did. Three versions came and went before the plug was pulled. It was a sign of goodwill more than anything on their part, not a requirement.

Sent from my LG G-Pro via the WPCentral Android app

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Goodwill? There were three versions because it was a successful, popular OS. They were putting it inside netbooks right up to the end of 2010 which often didn't hit the shelves until anything up to a year later and then a couple of years on they stop supporting it. Nobody is saying it was a requirement but that's the point - they COULD support it if they wanted to. Corporate greed is the only reason they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss