Why is there so much hate for WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys think that this my be caused by the windows brand itself? (windows 8, blue screen of death, crashes, viruses, lag, windows vista)

Of course, Windows has left many with a sour taste and many confidently state they would not come back...for some cases I can't blame people.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Of course, Windows has left many with a sour taste and many confidently state they would not come back...for some cases I can't blame people.

Yes absolutely, and the fact that if something doesn't work properly after a few tweaks MS dump it and everybody who bought it and move on to something else. Vista is a classic example.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Android and iOS don't feel dated, we'll iOS kind of does. But as far as Android goes Android Kitkat was a pretty big visual overhaul and Android L is an even bigger one. Infact iOS and Android have changed more than the original Windows Phone OS, so this argument is invalid.

As far as reviewers go, most good reviewers are very balanced and do appreciate when a good device is made. The criticism done on Windows Phone is not the hardware being utilized(which reviewers usually love) but the fact that Windows Phone isn't optimized or the app ecosystem isn't advanced enough to take advantage of the hardware.

The only thing Windows Phone, primarily Nokia has going for it is the camera. I have seen countless times where the Verge, Pocketnow and Marques Brownlee have said that the Lumia range have the best shooters, especially in lowlight.

But the amazing cameras aren't the only things to justify the price and honestly Windows Phone lacks quality and functionality in a lot of the apps, and don't get me started on the games which are entirely not there or have much worse graphics than the Android/iOS counterparts.

Windows Phone needs to step up and offer better features in their own OS, and they are very far off from beating Android and iOS which got years ahead of experience.

But your reasons for why WP is hated is wrong, reviewers are balanced, most are at least.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

i see you have a nexus 5 as well so do i and im running Android L on mine and i dont see anything different,just changing the icons isnt enough performance,battery life etc is still bad
windows phone brings new stuff each time -both functionality and UI changes
android feels wayy more dated than ios with the black theme lacking colour on stock android,atleast WP and ios have colours
android 2.3-L hasnt really brought any massive overhauls except for looks and some under the hood changes
as for app quality,on android thats a huuge joke ,ios and WP have much better quality apps and dont have malware etc

my reasons why WP is hated arent wrong,reviewers are not even bothering having a proper look at WP
the pro-android movement which means putting down ios ,wp and bb10 is an utter waste

and what are these "light years ahead" features you speak of

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
i see you have a nexus 5 as well so do i and im running Android L on mine and i dont see anything different,just changing the icons isnt enough performance,battery life etc is still bad
android feels wayy more dated than ios with the black theme lacking colour on stock android,atleast WP and ios have colours
android 2.3-L hasnt really brought any massive overhauls except for looks and some under the hood changes
as for app quality,on android thats a huuge joke ,ios and WP have much better quality apps and dont have malware etc

my reasons why WP is hated arent wrong,reviewers are not even bothering having a proper look at WP
the pro-android movement which means putting down ios ,wp and bb10 is an utter waste

ability to change keyboard, smart dialing, change default sms app, actionable notifications, 1440p video playback, ability to view all types of media files without need to purchase an app, set default app for tasks, apps have complete freedom to do anytging, there are so many features that are light years ahead of WP that I can't list them all. But that's due to WP being a closed platform like iOS.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
To a point yes, but at the end of the day Android still suffers from being a splintered OS, where some apps will work on one phone but not another. This isn't entirely Google's fault, it's because of different builds by different manufacturers whereas iPhones are all built by one manufacturer.

I personally don't think an iPhone is worth the price you pay for it, compared with Android and WP for example the specs don't justify the prices and a lot of their sales come from people wanting to keep up with their workmates/neighbours/friends and so on. It's also worth bearing in mind it is partly because iPhones are available in more and more countries every year so that's going to increase sales as it becomes available to an ever wider audience.

As for WP their problem is they are behind everybody else. As my husband put it when looking over my 930, "It's like they are late to the party, arrived in a Bentley but forgot to change out of their work clothes. At times the OS seems as if it was rushed through and is unfinished. Talk is that they are catching up but with Google's recent advances and Android L on the horizon and the new iPhone due next month you do wonder if they will ever get close enough to carve out a decent market share".

They are improving but I still think there is a good way to go yet and the danger is that Android and iOS might just be moving quicker than Microsoft are and they could easily fall further behind. There has to be a reason why the major phone vendors still don't want to build Windows phones.
Android suffers from being a splintered OS? I fully agree with that but Windows Phone also suffers from the same issue especially after Microsoft allowed more OEMs to join the party.

Plus most mainstream devices on Android made by reputable companies like Samsung, HTC or LG run most apps perfectly fine however if you have a device made by unknown or less popular company like say Micromax, YOU'LL OBVIOUSLY SEE ISSUES IN APPS.

I owning a Nexus 5, many of my cousins owning a Note 3 or HTC One have rarely ever experienced issues in apps.

Future versions of Android keep on making apps more and more stable.

But I'm not saying I've never experienced issues on Android but no OS is without it's faults and flaws.

Plus do you think Windows Phone is not splintered? I used to experience quite a lot of issues on my Lumia 520 even on the Tapatalk app and since more companies like Blu, Micromax and other Russian OEMs are also joining you'll see more and more app crashes and instabilities.

The only OS safe from most crashes will probably be iOS and the price of the iPhone may not be fully justified but it's specs are nothing to be laughed at.

The dual core 1.3 GHz processor outperforms Lumia 1520 in benchmarks.

The thing about not seeing "anything different" is because APPS AREN'T OPTIMIZED FOR ANDROID L, YET.

But as far as overhauls go, Android has beaten both iOS and Windows Phone at that and the original iteration of Android differs vastly from the current iteration.

As far as Android 2.3 vs Android L goes, there are too many differences so many that I can't list them all here.

But just to tell you about some of them Android 4.0 introduced extended widget functionality, face unlock, better notifications while Android 4.1 brought expandable notifications and Project Butter and TRIM support, moving on you got lockscreen widgets and so on, you also got a massive visual overhaul in both Android 4.4 and Android L.

If you are complaining about Android being dated it still has the most functionality and couple with that the fact that the API and SDK is so advanced that you see apps like 'AppLock'. You'll also notice that chatheads from Facebook Messenger can show up anywhere while this doesn't happen with iOS or Windows Phone.

Multitasking improvements in Android 4.4 allow apps to switch more smoothly as opposed to the dreaded "resuming" message you see on Windows Phone.

Plus nearly all Android apps function on Android phones with as little as 512 MB RAM, while Windows Phone clearly needs to work more on memory management.

You need to read more, a lot more as your arguments about Android are quite childish.

I'm not hating on Windows Phone but it needs to improve rapidly if it wants to compete with the likes of Android and iOS.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Android suffers from being a splintered OS? I fully agree with that but Windows Phone also suffers from the same issue especially after Microsoft allowed more OEMs to join the party.

Plus most mainstream devices on Android made by reputable companies like Samsung, HTC or LG run most apps perfectly fine however if you have a device made by unknown or less popular company like say Micromax, YOU'LL OBVIOUSLY SEE ISSUES IN APPS.

I was comparing with iOS, where Android is easily the most splintered because of the number of different manufacturers out there. I haven't been using WP for long enough to know but I know that which mainstream apps run and which don't varies wildly depending on which phone you have, while apps like Paypal seems to struggle on everything I have tried, including the 930. I've had plenty that will work on one android phone but not another, Open Office, Skype are a couple more I can think of off the top of my head while the general overall experience varies tremendously between android phones even with the same OS.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I owning a Nexus 5, many of my cousins owning a Note 3 or HTC One have rarely ever experienced issues in apps.

Future versions of Android keep on making apps more and more stable.

But I'm not saying I've never experienced issues on Android but no OS is without it's faults and flaws.

Plus do you think Windows Phone is not splintered? I used to experience quite a lot of issues on my Lumia 520 even on the Tapatalk app and since more companies like Blu, Micromax and other Russian OEMs are also joining you'll see more and more app crashes and instabilities.

The only OS safe from most crashes will probably be iOS and the price of the iPhone may not be fully justified but it's specs are nothing to be laughed at.

The dual core 1.3 GHz processor outperforms Lumia 1520 in benchmarks.

The thing about not seeing "anything different" is because APPS AREN'T OPTIMIZED FOR ANDROID L, YET.

But as far as overhauls go, Android has beaten both iOS and Windows Phone at that and the original iteration of Android differs vastly from the current iteration.

As far as Android 2.3 vs Android L goes, there are too many differences so many that I can't list them all here.

But just to tell you about some of them Android 4.0 introduced extended widget functionality, face unlock, better notifications while Android 4.1 brought expandable notifications and Project Butter and TRIM support, moving on you got lockscreen widgets and so on, you also got a massive visual overhaul in both Android 4.4 and Android L.

If you are complaining about Android being dated it still has the most functionality and couple with that the fact that the API and SDK is so advanced that you see apps like 'AppLock'. You'll also notice that chatheads from Facebook Messenger can show up anywhere while this doesn't happen with iOS or Windows Phone.

Multitasking improvements in Android 4.4 allow apps to switch more smoothly as opposed to the dreaded "resuming" message you see on Windows Phone.

Plus nearly all Android apps function on Android phones with as little as 512 MB RAM, while Windows Phone clearly needs to work more on memory management.

You need to read more, a lot more as your arguments about Android are quite childish.

I'm not hating on Windows Phone but it needs to improve rapidly if it wants to compete with the likes of Android and iOS.

android will always have more features than android due to the openess of linux. There's nothing apple or microsoft can do except make the platform open too to solve the problem however that introduces security risk. There is no beating android when it comes to features.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Google, until recently owned Motorola Mobility, so yes they did make the hardware. They sold it to Lenovo. (who is closing the Motorola plant in Fort Worth, TX, so no more American made Moto X). Since android was not a Motorola product to begin with it will be interesting to see if Lenovo will continue to focus Motorola development on Android, or if they will venture back into Windows Phone ( anyone remember the Motorola Q)?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
using Tapatalk

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
android will always have more features than android due to the openess of linux. There's nothing apple or microsoft can do except make the platform open too to solve the problem however that introduces security risk. There is no beating android when it comes to features.
Tom Warren said a pretty brilliant thing when rumours we're going around about Android apps on Windows Phone, he said "I'd prefer a bit of malware if it meant getting apps that actually have the latest features."

And he's actually right, other than just the OS, Android apps are also quite ahead of Windows Phone. For example Whatsapp, I can send MP3s and I can leave the app when it's sending a video.

I have never had a problem with malware on Android because I've never faced any malware at all.

Plus if you fear any malware on your Android device you could get the best anti-virus for your device out there....and guess what it is?

COMMON SENSE.

If you know what I mean.
Google, until recently owned Motorola Mobility, so yes they did make the hardware. They sold it to Lenovo. (who is closing the Motorola plant in Fort Worth, TX, so no more American made Moto X). Since android was not a Motorola product to begin with it will be interesting to see if Lenovo will continue to focus Motorola development on Android, or if they will venture back into Windows Phone ( anyone remember the Motorola Q)?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
using Tapatalk
Unlikely that they will produce a Windows Phone, despite having been sold by Google they still maintain very good relations with Google and rumors going around right now are that Nexus 6 will be made by Motorola.

If You Want My Continued Support On This Forum, Please Leave a Thumbs Up!

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
There's also a lot of rumours saying the Nexus 6 will be made by LG or HTC. At the end of the day it will probably go to the firm who tenders the best quote.

I doubt that Google had much to do with Motorola hardware, these things take time to develop and they only owned the company for 5 minutes. The only real reason for the acquisition of Motorola as far as I can gather was they wanted a lot of Motorola's patents which they have retained, rather than sold on to Lenovo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire