Windows Phone Going Wrong Direction

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm honestly surprised its not lower than that. There haven't been hardly any new released phones from hardly any OEM in a very long time. This quarter is definitely a random dip caused by dumb decisions and calls from the company formerly known as Nokia plus no great pieces of hardware from any other WP OEM. The fact that there have been so many new phones launched/announced means that numbers like this won't happen again.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Numbers don't actually mean anything without the underlying strategy of each company taken into account. In the days of RIM when the numbers were tumbling the company was doing stupid things and everyone could see what was happening. Investors don't look at snapshot figures on their own, they study the company and make decisions based on information and projections. Satya is leading and shaping the business to be in a position to exploit the new OS, the new 7 billion dollar investment (Nokia Devices) and taking the fight to the other 2 using the MS strengths in innovation, IP and existing (MASSIVE) user base of Windows.

Good times are coming, I have so much confidence that me and my partner have decided to become developers, learn C# so we can really exploit the opportunity that we can clearly see.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Now that the 530, 635, and 930 are available I hope we see some turnaround in market share. But with all the phones flooding the market Microsoft may have stepped on their **** by taking so long. If they could ever get some acceptance I think people would see they have a good product and the best overall system (computer, tablet, phone). Would love to see a 830, 935 to help things out. The long delay in getting 8.1out has not helped matters either. People do not like waiting.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now that the 530, 635, and 930 are available I hope we see some turnaround in market share. But with all the phones flooding the market Microsoft may have stepped on their **** by taking so long. If they could ever get some acceptance I think people would see they have a good product and the best overall system (computer, tablet, phone). Would love to see a 830, 935 to help things out. The long delay in getting 8.1out has not helped matters either. People do not like waiting.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

Wont happen with these device. All these are from the old Nokia roadmap, the new stuff from MS will be released properly with the next version of Windows. Everything between now and then will be a stop gap measure with half hearted support. You cant make a mobile phone in a month, 2 months, 3 months etc it takes much longer and its not been long since MS purchased Nokia. In fact the transition is still taking place and until that has completed then and only then will we see what MS are capable of. Windows 8.1 has been a flop for Microsoft, Threshold will be the one that business transition to and adopt Windows Phone as well. 2015 is the year MS will truly compete with Apple and Android.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Factors that explain it:
*Because of the acquisition, Nokia didn't have any incentives to invest in their Devices unit.
*People waiting for 8.1.
*Motorola selling under the costs in the only segment where WP actually exists, thanks to Google's money.
*The growth of smaller local OEMs.
*The growth of the Chinese market where WP has less than 1% of market share.
*Better performance of Android in low end hardware.

What could improve in the next few quarters.
*The acquisition is completed, Microsoft cut the grass and is ready to invest in WP.
*8.1 is out and is great.
*Lenovo won't swallow the big Motorola's loses once the acquisition is completed.
*WP is free and many local OEMs are building WPs.
*Xiao Na is too cute, China will love her.
*8.1 is even better in low end hardware.

The next few quarters are decisive. WP could die, or could finally take off.

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
If MS wants to gain market share then its not going to happen with half baked poor specification phones like Lumia 530/630 because people are aware they can buy an android phone with better specification at same or less price.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If MS wants to gain market share then its not going to happen with half baked poor specification phones like Lumia 530/630 because people are aware they can buy an android phone with better specification at same or less price.

Yep they know that and as they are working on building their own hardware, the 530/630/930 and likely the 1525 if real, are all old Nokia roadmap devices, nothing to do with MS. They had one option and that is to not release any of them however with the money already invested that decision would not make sense.

Yes the devices are inferior.
Yes there is nothing amazing coming out over the next few months.
Yes MS have made fantastic decisions in order to be ultra competitive.
Yes we will see amazing OS/Hardware from MS when its ready.
Yes we have to be patient and if not then MS is not stopping anyone joining other platforms.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Wont happen with these device. All these are from the old Nokia roadmap, the new stuff from MS will be released properly with the next version of Windows. Everything between now and then will be a stop gap measure with half hearted support. You cant make a mobile phone in a month, 2 months, 3 months etc it takes much longer and its not been long since MS purchased Nokia. In fact the transition is still taking place and until that has completed then and only then will we see what MS are capable of. Windows 8.1 has been a flop for Microsoft, Threshold will be the one that business transition to and adopt Windows Phone as well. 2015 is the year MS will truly compete with Apple and Android.

This 'next version of Windows' is the one argument is malarkey. Now it is 2015? Before it was 2013, 2012.... This is getting stale.
Also phones take a lot longer then when threshold is supposedly coming so even if we see a phone then it will either be the best they can do by then or a modified version of a phone that was in the pipeline. Not the MS dream phone we all want.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. But I'm happy my 1520 hasn't gotten outdated yet. I've even messed around some with an S5 and it doesn't feel like it blows the 1520 away.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This 'next version of Windows' is the one argument is malarkey. Now it is 2015? Before it was 2013, 2012.... This is getting stale.
Also phones take a lot longer then when threshold is supposedly coming so even if we see a phone then it will either be the best they can do by then or a modified version of a phone that was in the pipeline. Not the MS dream phone we all want.

The past does not equal the future. Look at the ACTIONS of Microsoft, you cannot compare the past delays and promises to what is happening this very moment, today. MS SPENT 7 BILLION dollars purchasing one of the TOP mobile manufacturing companies in the world (yet the doom and gloomers creep out the woodwork), Satya Nadella replaced Balmer (the same doom and gloomers crept out again) Processes have been put in place so teams can share code, this has historically been Microsofts Achilles heel as no team wanted to share information voluntarily with other teams (crazy right? but that was the culture and how promotions worked and again the doom and gloomers came) MS has got rid of a lot of middle management in order to give them agility (doom, gloomers again) MS unifying Windows Stores and makes it much easier to code across the platform, forget WP market share for a moment do you know the market share for Windows worldwide? here have a look.....

http://forums.windowscentral.com/apple-ios/287561-pacman-returns.html

I invest in companies now and then, Microsoft is a good bet.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep they know that and as they are working on building their own hardware, the 530/630/930 and likely the 1525 if real, are all old Nokia roadmap devices, nothing to do with MS. They had one option and that is to not release any of them however with the money already invested that decision would not make sense.

Yes the devices are inferior.
Yes there is nothing amazing coming out over the next few months.
Yes MS have made fantastic decisions in order to be ultra competitive.
Yes we will see amazing OS/Hardware from MS when its ready.
Yes we have to be patient and if not then MS is not stopping anyone joining other platforms.

Sorry but I'm not buying that line any more. I'm probably going to buy an iPhone 6 in October/November after I've tried out Android L for a bit on my Nexus 5. Unless some super hero Windows Phone shows up miraculously in October/November I'm done with WP forever.

With all your cheerleading for Microsoft - do you ever look at where most of their revenue comes from? It's from things like "Commercial Licensing" which is basically volume licenses of enterprise software, which has F-all to do with phones. Ask yourself why consumers have bought 2 billion Android + iPhones in the last 5 years and only 45-50 million Windows Phones.

2 billion > 45 million

That's 2000 million to 45 million. Approx 20 times more. 20 to 1. Reflected in 2.7% global marketshare.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
We all know android build its success on Samsung's shoulders. And even Samsung is struggling to hold its ground. Just as people can jump ship from WP to competitive platforms, people can come from other platforms to WP. Then there are newer generations and first time smartphone buyers. And, as it is already mentioned before, there hasn't been any recent device to come out lately which amounts to dip in sales and recent devices are from old Nokia's pipelines. True Microsoft branded devices will come after Windows Threshold release. And although future looks bleak now, if anyone has any doubt about Microsoft's strategy regarding WP, just look at the amount of features WP8.1 and WP8.1 update 1 brought and the speed with which WP team is working currently. Perseverance is the key here and I for once am sticking with Microsoft.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but I'm not buying that line any more. I'm probably going to buy an iPhone 6 in October/November after I've tried out Android L for a bit on my Nexus 5. Unless some super hero Windows Phone shows up miraculously in October/November I'm done with WP forever.

With all your cheerleading for Microsoft - do you ever look at where most of their revenue comes from? It's from things like "Commercial Licensing" which is basically volume licenses of enterprise software, which has F-all to do with phones. Ask yourself why consumers have bought 2 billion Android + iPhones in the last 5 years and only 45-50 million Windows Phones.

2 billion > 45 million

That's 2000 million to 45 million. Approx 20 times more. 20 to 1. Reflected in 2.7% global marketshare.
For all of its troubles and lack of market-share, it really does seem like WP is punching above its weight. For example, a quarter of the world's developers are going to give WP consideration, despite WP possessing less than 3% of global market-share. If that is truly where things are headed, then I'd equate the WP experience to the Mac experience, i.e. a minute share in the market may not translate as little to the user. In 2013 there was no banking app for my needs, in 2014 there is, and I live in Canada, a wasteland as far s WP is concerned. I'd say there's real change happening as we speak, though it might not have reached you, yet.

Aniruddh Sharma1

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

2 billion > 45 million

Why do you say forever? DO you think we are nearing the end of the world with WP 8.1 and iPhone 6? Of course, buy whatever you need but know that things always change, whether it will be for WP of iOS or any other new platform, only time will tell!!

BilalSoomro17

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Just look few months ago Wp had No Notification Centre or anything to compete with Other Platforms but now after few months it have almost all the things. WP team has started Working fast and All the features they add in Wp look better than same Features On IOS and Android. Example is Live Folders. I am Sticking with Microsoft forever

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

2 billion > 45 million

Each to their own. Yes I understand the business model and my companies are use the MS infrastructure. You are looking at numbers that do not reflect the true nature of the industry or business. yes the market share is going down, how would it increase with the change that's happening? No one except foolish people can expect MS market share to increase over the next 6 months, not even MS. They know that the future is mobile and they are investing billions, reshaping the company to be able to compete. They are going to leverage theier complete dominance in the corporate world to push WP. After they have reshaped and restructured, and got the hardware singing with the software then watch as market share explodes. Can Apple compete with MS in the corporate world, hell no..can Android? Hell no. MS are not stupid, they are taking a hit today, similar the ropadope by Mohamed Ali so they can knock em out.

Anyways good luck with the iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3