What ecosystem do you use in your home?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
This may be a silly thread but what ecosystem do you use in your home? Mine is fully Microsoft now. I converted my wife from her MacBook to a Nokia 2520 almost a year back. She still has an android phone though but we're working on that.

Attached is her 2520 with my brands new SP3.. Pic taken with 1520.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• WP_20140803_23_29_10_Raw.jpg
    WP_20140803_23_29_10_Raw.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 16

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use the Microsoft ecosystem, but I also have two PCs running Linux and have Evernote in addition to OneNote, and DropBox in addition to OneDrive. I use Thunderbird on my Linux boxes instead of Outlook, and I use LibreOffice on my Linux boxes instead of MS Office.

sanjeet_deshwal

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine is no OS racism system :D
If something is best in its segment then you should accept it.
Phone : L1520 , L630 , N5
PC : Linux
ultrabook : Win 8 pro
Tablet : IPad rMini :p

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Full Microsoft ecosystem from phones to tablets to computers, laptops and AIOs
I will buy a Xbox one later on but dunno when.

I also use outlook and OneDrive too.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I use multiple ecosystems microsoft, apple, android, and blackberry. Just because I like my electronics, all of them work differently and I really like the variety. It keeps my thoughts in process, brainstorm, and troubleshoot.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
All Microsoft around here. My signature might give an idea on devices. Fiancee also has a Lumia 1020. In addition we use OneDrive as our cloud and Outlook as emails. Xbox One is pretty much the center of the living room. Both of us default to Bing as search engine too.

Outside YouTube I don't really use any Google services and that's cos it doesnt really have an alternative. No Apple around here whatsoever. That said, I do have access to both Android phones and tablets as well as iPads and iPhones in my family, I fail to see them offer any real incentive over my current setup. That said, I don't really "mind" if someone is invested in another ecosystem, I'm more of a "pro ecosystem, regardless of which one it is". It's just beautiful have everything work together. This is why I don't really care for going for different ecosystems for every device, but rather pick the ecosystem that has the best offerings for me in the big picture.

That said, I don't consider Google or Apple to offer me anything better in any segment. WP would probably be the most replaceable for me, but when it comes to tablet/laptop area, it would be Surface 100% for me, as I just totally love it. Also with non mobile computing I really like Windows 8 and I don't see what Apple has to offer in that regard. All non hardware services work amazing for me on MS, so no reason to consider the alternatives.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
The term "ecosystem" is irrelevant at this point. I have WP, RT, iOS an Win 8.1 all working together perfectly. Things like OneNote, OneDrive and Office work just as well on my iPad amino as they do on the 2520. I have an "ecosystem", I just don't use the same platform or company for each device. You don't have to anymore.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The term "ecosystem" is irrelevant at this point. I have WP, RT, iOS an Win 8.1 all working together perfectly. Things like OneNote, OneDrive and Office work just as well on my iPad amino as they do on the 2520. I have an "ecosystem", I just don't use the same platform or company for each device. You don't have to anymore.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

And some things actually work better on competing platforms than MSs own lol :D

But I dont think it's as simple as you make it out to be, though. What you say is pretty much only true for Microsoft services on other platforms. It's not all that rosey if you try to get Google or iOS stuff work in Windows or the other way around. I thin there is still definitely ecosystems, but it's true that it should probably be seperated into hardware and software.

Last edited:

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
And some things actually work better on competing platforms than MSs own lol :D

But I dont think it's as simple as you make it out to be, though. What you say is pretty much only true for Microsoft services on other platforms. It's not all that rosey if you try to get Google or iOS stuff work in Windows or the other way around. I thin there is still definitely ecosystems, but it's true that it should probably be seperated into hardware and software.

Well said. Hardware brand loyalty is one thing but an ecosystem is no longer defined by the brand or even the OS(s) of the devices within said ecosystem. It doesn't work that way any longer.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a Windows Home Server running at my house, which stores all of my documents, music, videos, pictures, etc. I've got 4 Windows PCs at the house, and two Linux PCs. I have Office on all of the PCs, but I haven't yet jumped onto the Office 365 subscription.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was so close to cutting my ties with MS, I had tried Ubuntu and installed Mint on my laptop, my contract with my HTC HD2 was coming to an end, my lad had a laptop running 8 and I really didn't like it, but I did like my wife's Windows phone running 7.*.

I was racking my brains for an Xmas pressie for my wife and got her a laptop running 8.1 and wow what a difference, the logic behind 8.1 over 8 is massive in my book, so within six months we both have Windows phones running 8 (Get a move on Vodafone), both have Surfaces and laptops each and a shared desktop, and we now have an Xbox one, we subscribe to Office 365 and both of us love the integration.

So pleased I bought her that laptop as to get anywhere near what we have now would probably involved a lot more effort on my part, or a lot more money.

Bob

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
All Microsoft. Desktop, Laptop 💻, phone 📱 are on the latest Windows versions. Search 🔍 engine-Bing. Email 📧 -Outlook/Hotmail. Office 🏢 2013 sp1 installed. Cloud storage-OneDrive. Video calling/messaging-Skype.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05