03-23-2015 01:40 PM
231 1234 ...
tools
    May be new Lumia x30 (930, 530, 630, etc) with 4 cores and cheap price would become more popular
    08-07-2014 02:08 PM
    I've found that my Lumia 521 with it's 512 Mb ram is quite fast, the operating system is very efficient
    08-07-2014 02:10 PM
    Even the harshest WP critics praise the OS and its buttery smoothness. So explain to me again how hardware is the problem. Unless you're a gamer, 512mb RAM is more than enough for most folks and WP7 was all 512 RAM and single-core CPUs.

The M8 won't be HTC's only device, the 8X has been around a while and Samsung has various devices as well. Speaking of Samsung, we read post after post bashing their "plasticky" phones and yet the OP advocates more Samsungs.

Very contradictory thread. WP needs more users, period. No users, app gap remains - period.
    08-07-2014 02:41 PM
    I don't think choice would make a big difference. I don't have data but I suspect Samsung and Apple have bigger market share in the high end segment. People buy iconic phones. Only Geeks spend time comparing LG and Sony phones.
    Honestly, at this point there is no knowing what will make a difference. The market is saturated and path to success is a long and slow road for MS. But, flooding market with flagships from other companies might give customers the expression that WP is the "new cool". Also, and this is just my observation, I've seen that companies like Samsung, LG and Sony(which are electronic brands with large revenues and not just a smartphone manufacturer) spend more money on advertising which ultimately proves beneficial for the platform. It's really a toxic effect. OEMs jump ship. Consumers jump ship. Developers jump ship. MS just needs to start a trend and they should use every marketing trick of the book.
    08-07-2014 02:41 PM
    Huawei makes terrible handsets, my old Prism II was junk rubbish not worth a dime
    New Huawei phones ain't that bad. There is a reason Samsung took a year on year loss in quarter 2 in wake of emerging competition from the likes of Huawei, Xiomi and Lenovo.
    08-07-2014 02:45 PM
    Even the harshest WP critics praise the OS and its buttery smoothness. So explain to me again how hardware is the problem. Unless you're a gamer, 512mb RAM is more than enough for most folks and WP7 was all 512 RAM and single-core CPUs.

The M8 won't be HTC's only device, the 8X has been around a while and Samsung has various devices as well. Speaking of Samsung, we read post after post bashing their "plasticky" phones and yet the OP advocates more Samsungs.

Very contradictory thread. WP needs more users, period. No users, app gap remains - period.
    To people that use Android or iOS, there will be a gap if they switch to Windows Phone. I know that there is no convincing you, but oh well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-07-2014 02:52 PM
    I'm sure next years' android flagships will ship with 64bit chipsets. If next years' WP flagships won't release with 64bit chipsets because the OS didn't support it then I'll have no hope for Microsoft. *Fingers crossed*
    Seriously, why do you think this? WP has proven time and time again it can do just as well with less hardware. What does "keeping up with the Jone's" really accomplish?

There will always be those that have to compare specs (421pp1 vs 418ppi), but do they really matter? I can understand the difference between 512MB and 1GB, but what does a 64bit chipset or even comparing raw numbers against completely different architectures accomplish?
    08-07-2014 02:58 PM
    If ecosystem and hardware were the top reasons for success, iPhone would have 70% market share. The iPhone 5s is still fastest CPU wise than the latest chips from Qualcomm (the Snapdragon 805), and that chip is just now trickling out in some select markets. Obviously other things matter, price being a big one.
    08-07-2014 03:02 PM
    I agree with the OP. It's time we started seeing some really nice handsets. The OS has come a long way, but we NEED something more than what we have now.

For instance, is there a REAL contender for a ruggedized handset that is as sleek as the Samsung S5 Active? No. We have some that are as durable as a tank, but look like one.

We need manuf that will think much more creatively. Right now, they are in the timid stage of "We're not quite sure how many we'll sell so let's do the bare minimum to get a handset to market." We NEED some really nice ones and NOW, before the Christmas buying rush.
    08-07-2014 03:02 PM
    Seriously, why do you think this? WP has proven time and time again it can do just as well with less hardware. What does "keeping up with the Jone's" really accomplish?

There will always be those that have to compare specs (421pp1 vs 418ppi), but do they really matter? I can understand the difference between 512MB and 1GB, but what does a 64bit chipset or even comparing raw numbers against completely different architectures accomplish?
    Well, it's different for everyone. Personally, I'm a specs freak and so are people when it comes to buying computing products. It doesn't matter how stable windows phone is on a lower specs to a customer who has never even used it. What matters to them is that what they are getting with their hard earned money and if it is less for one and more for other in a similar price, most will opt for higher. It's value for money pure and simple IDK why it is so difficult for people to understand.
    08-07-2014 03:07 PM
    New Huawei phones ain't that bad. There is a reason Samsung took a year on year loss in quarter 2 in wake of emerging competition from the likes of Huawei, Xiomi and Lenovo.
    You obviously never owned a Prism II , that handset is pure crap, underpowered and slow as can be
    08-07-2014 03:12 PM
    That's a misconception that I hear frequently, but it's not true. Samsung makes the most profits, but other OEM's make money as well. Sony's handset division has actually been carrying it's other unprofitable products for years. HTC turned a decent profit this year as well. And Huawei has turned into a giant, and is just now being seen as a formidable force. Do you really think Sony, HTC, LG, etc have been making phones all these years without making any money off of them? That doesn't make any sense.
    HTC had losses in 2013. In the first two quarters of 2014 they're worst.
    HTC Investors - Financial Information

"Sony's not going to make a profit in smartphones this year. There are 7 or 8 players in that 2-5 percent market share that Sony is in in the smartphone market and they are all struggling to make money," he added.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-f...054156996.html

Lg had a good quarter after three consecutive quarterly losses.
    LG reports profit as smartphone sales increase | ZDNet

I don't know if any of the Chinese OEMs have decent profits in the smartphone business.
    08-07-2014 03:14 PM
    You obviously never owned a Prism II , that handset is pure crap, underpowered and slow as can be
    Haha! Times change things change. LG G3 isn't the same as LG's efforts from 2009. Same goes for Huawei. I've even seen crappy budget phones from Sammy from 2010-11s but things have gotten better since. Technology has matured and it has toughen up the competition. The more comrades you have, the better chances of success you have.
    08-07-2014 03:17 PM
    What Android or IOS phone priced at the cash price of a Lumia 635 can perform as well as the Lumia 635? Similar priced Android phones, most of them perform terribly poor.
    08-07-2014 03:18 PM
    The Prism II is only little over a year old, make it sound like it was released three years ago
    08-07-2014 03:20 PM
    Did they really create a demand for low end WP devices? The numbers for low end Lumias are very good compared to WP overall, but in the entire smartphone pool they're insignificant.
    Yes, Microsoft/Nokia did create demand for low end Lumia devices. In the prepaid market, the competition is horrible for the money. Let me illustrate. The freshly released 635 is $99.99. For that, you get a phone that has 8GB of internal storage, LTE, SD slot, a decent ClearBlack IPS display. Not to mention offline HERE maps, and offline MixRadio downloads. That matters. The competition would be the Moto E. This device comes with only 4GB of internal storage, no LTE... And, the price is $129.99. I mean Android, takes up about 2GB and not all applications can be moved to the SD card. The Moto E is at the top end of the prepaid market. If you go to Walmart, and look through the prepaid isle the devices available will make you laugh. Up against those type of devices the 635 almost feels like a flagship. But, that's not the real reason. It's color. The lumia devices are colorful and have a decent build quality. If a grandmother or regular joe looks at a crappy LG black slab versus a colorful Lumia 635, they most likely will take the colorful option. Note: I'm not including the Moto G because it is more expensive at $219 for LTE and SD slot. Try to find a better phone for $99.99. You'll be hard pressed.
    08-07-2014 03:25 PM
    Very true, anything Android for under $200 is almost not worth it. And when you account for the bloatware that can't be removed without rooting which isn't easy nor recommended for everyone is another problem.
    08-07-2014 03:33 PM
    You can buy the Moto G on prepaid for $69 dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    08-07-2014 04:02 PM
    What Android or IOS phone priced at the cash price of a Lumia 635 can perform as well as the Lumia 635? Similar priced Android phones, most of them perform terribly poor.
    Moto G with a higher resolution screen performs as good if not better than the 635. I know, I have both.

Currently the new 4G Moto G is 10 more expensive than the 635 in the UK and for a 720p screen, 1GB RAM and a front facing camera you'd be daft not to choose that over a 635.

(EDIT: And the Moto G has a camera flash too)!
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    08-07-2014 04:30 PM

You don't get the point. The point is WP lacks variety, it's not about having the specs to run the OS but about having a variety of devices. Again, if you don't like the Lumia design, what are you left with? The Ativ S and 8X are old now and were never top of the line handsets to start with (and the 8X was too similar to Lumias anyway). The HTC One W8 is exactly what Windows Phone needs, top of the line hardware that is different. An Xperia, Galaxy, G3 running WP8.1 would be nothing but great new for the platform.
    08-07-2014 04:31 PM
    Actually reading the comments, a few people don't get the point. Yes the OS runs well on any hardware, low or high. But choice isn't there, you can get a Nokia Lumia or... a Nokia Lumia. Or old Samsung/HTC phones but why would you? The platform needs more OEMs to produce high end phones and compete with each other, that is what's pushing android forward.
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    08-07-2014 04:38 PM
    Yes, Microsoft/Nokia did create demand for low end Lumia devices.
    How do you figure? I don't know what the ratio of high end/low end is for each OS, but Android outsold WP 30:1 last quarter. Previously it had been 20:1.Say Android sales are half low end, and WP is 100% low end. That's still a 15:1 margin. I wouldn't call that "creating demand", at least not a very big demand.
    08-07-2014 04:40 PM
    Actually reading the comments, a few people don't get the point. Yes the OS runs well on any hardware, low or high. But choice isn't there, you can get a Nokia Lumia or... a Nokia Lumia. Or old Samsung/HTC phones but why would you? The platform needs more OEMs to produce high end phones and compete with each other, that is what's pushing android forward.
    But Nokia Lumias are not all the same. Nokia has a very large portfolio of handsets...

520/525
    620/625
    630/635
    820/822
    930/Icon

If that's not enough devices, I don't know what is. So I don't see how you can claim there is no choice. The only thing limiting choice is carrier support. Pushing another 20 handsets out won't do any good if the carriers don't support them. Microsoft needs to fix that before they flood the market with more devices.
    08-07-2014 04:48 PM
    Oh my God, why is it so hard to understand?
    08-07-2014 05:02 PM
    Oh my God, why is it so hard to understand?
    It's an evergoing loop with major OEMs like Samsung, Sony, LG, ect. I believe that the OEMs want to see WP grow to become an invested part of it, and WP has to grow in order for those major OEMs to become a invested part of it. It's all about immediate profits. That's why Microsoft bought Nokia's devices division: to push out their own brand like Apple did. I can see what the OP is saying, more variety other than Nokia by Microsoft would be nice, but with the profits of WP seemingly being infantile besides Android, these major OEMs would rather invest their product (which is their moneymakers) to an already profitable OS.

That's why we're seeing more independent OEMs latey on the WP homefront. I, personally, want to see more high-end devices for WP regardless of which OEM is making it.
    08-07-2014 05:19 PM
231 1234 ...