Are You Happy With The Quality Of Apps on Windows Phone?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
First of all I would like to say that I have nothing against Windows Phone and I loved using the OS.

But with that said I have often heard people on the WPCentral forums saying that the app gap isn't a problem anymore because we have the necessary apps. I find that somewhat true, in places where we haven't been provided with official apps, we get the highest quality 3rd party clients(thanks Rudy Huyn).

But nonetheless even with the official and third party clients Windows Phone apps often lack the functionality that is provided on Android and iOS.

In fact what's surprising was that many of Microsoft's own apps we're better on Android and iOS, such as Skype, OneDrive and Outlook.

While Microsoft has resolved many of those issues putting OneDrive and Skype on par with the Android counterparts, you'll see that the Outlook.com app on Android looks way better than the Windows Phone app, it also offers a few more features such a built in app lock.

jaraqaty.jpg

uty4a7yz.jpg

I'm sure Microsoft will fix these issues in the coming days and weeks, but what about 3rd party app developers?

For example take the app most of you are using right now, Tapatalk. On Android I get notifications for everytime someone quotes my posts, as far as I remember I didn't get notifications on Windows Phone.

Then let's take Facebook where you can neither see nor comment on pictures with a photo, or Facebook Messenger where you can't send pre-recorded videos or EVEN ENTER A NEW PARAGRAPH.

Or Whatsapp which doesn't allow you to send or save music from Windows Phone.

Oh and don't get me started on Instagram.

As far as 3rd party clients go, the developer can only do so much and there are things he just can't ensure. For example 6snap doesn't have the ability to record videos and Rudy said this was because it was difficult for him.

There are countless other apps that either lag behind Android and iOS or have just been abandoned, like Kik.

So I'm leaving you guys with a question are you satisfied with the apps on Windows Phone? How do you deal with these issues and are any of these things important to you?

If it's any consolation one thing I really liked about apps on Windows Phone was the UI which was pretty beautiful in most apps.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It depends on the type of user. If you're a geek and try to use every single feature, then you'll find the limits. Although, a big part of the users have lighter workflows including just the basic features.

So, the situation is different for every user. Some people don't perceive a gap, for other the gap is huge.

The problem for WP is that most reviewers and sales rep are power users, without much empathy, that only talk and recommend from their own experience, without considering the variety of the usage patterns. For many of them nobody should use WP. So, they're creating a perception that hurts sales.

Belford said that after getting most of the big apps now the focus will be on improving the quality of those apps. So, they understand that they have to solve the problem.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
For a regular user like me who doesn't have a God-Billion apps or necessarily uses every feature on an app, I have not really been inconvenienced much or noticed too much of an issue with the quality of apps on WP. But then again, I only have 48 apps in total on my home screen, and around 60 apps in total on my phone.

Personally, the quality of those Windows Apps that I actually use has improved with every update, although I wish that the updates and new features for one or two of those apps would improve a little faster.

Are there quite a few junk apps on the Windows Store? Sure, but guess what, when I was an Android user I still remember the unbelievable amount of junk apps on their store too, so junk apps are something that every ecosystem suffers from. Doesn't make it right, but I'm not going to be extra hard on Microsoft for something everyone has issues with. It just seems like another way to whine. First we whined that there weren't enough apps, and now that the app gap is closing fast some have found a way to complain about some apps being junk. WP users are the most unsatisfied bunch I've ever been part of.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a bigger issue with the quality of apps on WP than with the number of available apps. Most of the apps I use on Android are also available on WP. However, quality is a huge problem for me. The 3 apps I use the most are Facebook, Tapatalk, and Reddit. All of these are available on WP, official or 3rd pary, but they're much better on Android.

Notifications in WP are another pain point. For some reason they don't seem to work well on WP, regardless of the application. It's probably an OS restriction, since most apps with notifications have the issue.

I believe that lower quality apps on WP happen for a couple of reasons:

1. Less users, therefore less resources invested in development.
  2. OS restrictions make some features impossible.
Either way, I continue to use both OS's side by side, but with Android as my primary phone. I'm watching... and waiting...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
My main hope is for secs to just continue timely support and updates. Yeah, all the big apps are there , but many are left to die or are neglected of updates and support. That's the big issue.and it's the reason I don't think I can make it my main phone .

I just really hope MS doesn't ditch the platform. There's a lot of good there and it would be a damn shame .

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm just waiting with bathed breath for the Google Chrome browser to arrive on windows phone. Read somewhere recently that Google are in talks at the moment with windows and they are also gone one more step further by even looking at the coding necessary for it. OMG when the Beta hits Windows Phone store its gonna jam up the servers. Would be the best day ever!!!!!

Sent from my Lumia 520 via the Windows Phone Central app

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the type of user. If you're a geek and try to use every single feature, then you'll find the limits. Although, a big part of the users have lighter workflows including just the basic features.

So, the situation is different for every user. Some people don't perceive a gap, for other the gap is huge.

The problem for WP is that most reviewers and sales rep are power users, without much empathy, that only talk and recommend from their own experience, without considering the variety of the usage patterns. For many of them nobody should use WP. So, they're creating a perception that hurts sales.

Belford said that after getting most of the big apps now the focus will be on improving the quality of those apps. So, they understand that they have to solve the problem.

As a geek/power user, I avoid iOS like the plague and many of android's base problems leave a sour taste in my mouth. Android definitely has more and better games (particularly of bullet hell and emulators and those forever alone Japanese/anime waifu sims that are my guilty pleasure). However, Android's faults outweigh whatever minor enjoyment those games might give, for me.

As a geek/power user on WP, I've not actually been constrained in what I do. I certainly have to come up with creative solutions sometimes, and I spend a lot of time in SSH/RDP (the quality of which are unparalleled- no android or IOS app has anything on token2shell or ConnectMe). From where I sit, nothing is actually wrong with WP from the perspective of a power user- it's those who like to tweak every setting in the OS itself and those who are really into social media (fb/tapatalk/etc) that will find fault with WP.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
As a geek/power user, I avoid iOS like the plague and many of android's base problems leave a sour taste in my mouth. Android definitely has more and better games (particularly of bullet hell and emulators and those forever alone Japanese/anime waifu sims that are my guilty pleasure). However, Android's faults outweigh whatever minor enjoyment those games might give, for me.

As a geek/power user on WP, I've not actually been constrained in what I do. I certainly have to come up with creative solutions sometimes, and I spend a lot of time in SSH/RDP (the quality of which are unparalleled- no android or IOS app has anything on token2shell or ConnectMe). From where I sit, nothing is actually wrong with WP from the perspective of a power user- it's those who like to tweak every setting in the OS itself and those who are really into social media (fb/tapatalk/etc) that will find fault with WP.

I use my Windows Phone the whole time for Facebook and Twitter. I must say that I have no problems with it. I think that Facebook on the WP is alot better then Android and iPhone. My sister and I had a competition to see how fast a photo uploaded to facebook using our phones she has an iPhone 4s I have the Lumia 520 and my phone won hands down and I have UPC Ireland 100Mb fibre power broadband so we were on the same WiFi. I'm a geek too I do alot of Internet technology and Web design along with games console repair and maintenance. I just love how you can control the Xbox with my Lumia 520. Its just brilliant. Love how I can connect my gamer tag with my mobile. Its all good!!!!!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm just waiting with bathed breath for the Google Chrome browser to arrive on windows phone. Read somewhere recently that Google are in talks at the moment with windows and they are also gone one more step further by even looking at the coding necessary for it. OMG when the Beta hits Windows Phone store its gonna jam up the servers. Would be the best day ever!!!!!

Ugh, I use chrome on a desktop PC and its a process/resource hog...and while its better than what we've got on 8.1, its still got its issues. I agree browser choice should be an option for us, but I'm not excited for chrome...i don't know why everyone goes all giddy over it...meh.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree that wp app quality are inferior than ios and android.

Even though WP doesn't lag but apps take care of that.....means they are quite laggy.
And
The most disturbing thing is that our official apps are the worst among them.
They comes at first in laggiest apps.
So, not only WP apps offer less quality but less functionality too.
It's like they are forcing users to shift to other OS.

And
I didn't know that MS also offer superior quality apps to Android than WP

What the f##* MS want move to other OS?or
Are they are waiting for votes in uservoice?

I thought MS is in our team but looking MS apps I think they aren't serious about WP at all.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Are You Happy With The Quality Of Apps on Windows Phone?

Yes as a general user.
I'm not someone prone to a surgical analysis of any app however.

If I were in a position with desperate need for any application that had to be spot on for business or life I would go to the platform that suited the requirement.
Apps are not critical to my lifestyle as someone cresting his declining years.
Just my view...

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
e

I don't see why you need to avoid iOS like the plauge for your a geek/power user. They make good stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium