Why Microsoft will never pull another windows phone 7.8 disaster.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The reason why wp 7 users were left behind is because there was a shift in the kernel. From windows CE to NT. When you look at 7.8 and 8.0 side by side, you don't really see a difference but when you see it in motion, that's when you see a change. CE only supported single core processors and isn't that secure compared to NT. NT is the future. Multi core processors, better security, more Ram, more efficient, more API's more Everything! If the kernel stayed in CE, we would still be using slow scorpions while the others are using snapdragon 800s etc. Not a good future is it?

Why Microsoft won't do another .8 fiasco is due to how all their products are on the NT kernel. Xbox One, windows 8.1 windows 8.1 RT, windows phone 8.1. In the heart of these products is the NT kernel. Do you know why? Universal Apps! Genius! I can have an app for all of these platforms that are catered for the screen size and experience. I can pay for one app and have it on every platform. This is what Microsoft wanted. This is the future. And if it wasn't for the NT kernel, windows phone wouldn't be where it is today. Microsoft aren't going to do another .8 in a while. In technology, that's probably like 3/4 years or something. But that doesn't mean that older devices won't be missing features of course.

So if you're scared of thereshold meaning 8.0 devices will be abandoned, don't be. Microsoft have done what they needed to do, don't be afraid. 520s are available from ?50 in where I live. And if your still on contract, don't be afraid to get an 8 device, join the new revolution. One Microsoft! :excited: (wow that's so cheesy)

Last edited:

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Lol, perhaps most that you say is true. But I have doubts if the older WP 8.x (920 etc.) would get threshold, even if it supports it. Devices have their support period, and Microsoft will not push any updates to these phones at a certain point.

But in this world there is a miracle called Developer Preview lol. #foreverpreviewsoftware

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree, except that I think support will end for older devices like the 920, etc. and they won't officially get the threshold update. Those of us using 1520s, 930s, etc. should be okay. Older devices may be able to get threshold via developer preview.
The NT Kernel has been around for quite some time, on regular Windows since the mid 1990s although it didn't appear on consumer versions until Windows XP in 2001. Windows CE was originally designed for PDAs. It should have been updated to the NT Kernel when they started making Windows Mobile 5.x or 6.x phones but I guess they didn't feel it was worth it at the time. However, they had every opportunity to do so with Windows Phone 7 yet they failed to do so thus causing the fragmentation in the WP market. At least it has been resolved now and they can continue to use the NT kernel for the unforeseeable future.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol, perhaps most that you say is true. But I have doubts if the older WP 8.x (920 etc.) would get threshold, even if it supports it. Devices have their support period, and Microsoft will not push any updates to these phones at a certain point.

But in this world there is a miracle called Developer Preview lol. #foreverpreviewsoftware
You've gotta love that dev preview! EDIT: Oh yeah I just thought of something. Microsoft not supporting the phone, doesn't mean that the phone cannot be updated. It will just be on EOL. The same way my hp laptop on windows 7 isn't supported by hp anymore but that doesn't mean I can't install drivers from the intel website or not get windows 8.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

That's true, but the 920 has had a few updates. I think there were actually phones that shipped with 7.8 and never got an update. At least not a big update.

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I want to buy Lumia 1520 but I am hesitant as its already almost 10 months old device and may not get Threshold. I am stuck with wp7 since 2 years and now plan to upgrade, thinking to going iOS way but really love Windows phone

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I want to buy Lumia 1520 but I am hesitant as its already almost 10 months old device and may not get Threshold. I am stuck with wp7 since 2 years and now plan to upgrade, thinking to going iOS way but really love Windows phone

Lol. If the 1520 doesn't get Threshold, no current phone will. ;)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry, if you read my first comment, you would understand that Microsoft is very likely not to abandon us again. And with a snapdragon 800 and 2gb ram, it's very unlikely that your phone won't support thereshold. So don't be scared to get that 1520.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking that x3x series (930,630 etc) released with WP8.1 might get updated only while x20 series with wp8 will not

Don't worry about X20 vs X30 as much. If the 1525 rumor is real, it will have the newest hardware (Snapdragon 801) but still be a X20 series.

The 1520 and 930 have the same CPU, too, which is currently the best WP offers.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking that x3x series (930,630 etc) released with WP8.1 might get updated only while x20 series with wp8 will not

So you're saying that despite the 1520 being exactly the same as the 930 except in size, the 1520 won't get thereshold, that logic is flawed because the only reason why wp7 users were left behind was because the kernel was so different and the CPU was a single core.

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
"Kernel" upgrade was biggest lie, technically NT could have run on wp7 devices as CPU architecture was same and XDA devs did ported WP8 to HD7. It was MS being lazy as they needed to redo drivers. This time for "threshold" they have to merge WinPRT and WinRT API so it is bound to break too many things and could be a perfect excuse again.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No phone will be updated forever, at some point it will stop receiving updates to the OS and will eventually be unsupported. At that point you will be in the same boat as WP 7 users, needing to buy a new phone to get new apps and the new OS and you can either rant about the "evil" of Microsoft or accept that this is normal for tech products. Having the same kernel across platforms wont change this.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
"Kernel" upgrade was biggest lie, technically NT could have run on wp7 devices as CPU architecture was same and XDA devs did ported WP8 to HD7. It was MS beiUng lazy as they needed to redo drivers. This time for "threshold" they have to merge WinPRT and WinRT API so it is bound to break too many things and could be a perfect excuse again.
Would the experience be as smooth, would 3D games be playable, would Bluetooth LE be possible.would those phones even support wp 8.1, can they handle three columns. Can they handle transparent live tiles? There is a reason why Microsoft 'didn't bother' to upgrade wp7 devices to 8. They are thinking about the future. And the winRT APIs are already in wp 8.1. We even have the same app extension as windows 8.1 '.appx'

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No phone will be updated forever, at some point it will stop receiving updates to the OS and will eventually be unsupported. At that point you will be in the same boat as WP 7 users, needing to buy a new phone to get new apps and the new OS and you can either rant about the "evil" of Microsoft or accept that this is normal for tech products. Having the same kernel across platforms wont change this.

I never said it will but it probably won't be like the wp7 disaster.

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It is expected but with MS lifecycle proved to be quite short "4-6 months" to be precise with WP7 and if "Threshold" is not applicable to current gen devices then less than 18 months for high-end devices like 1520. Apple do support for more than 3 years and same goes with Nexus by Google. .

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Would the experience be as smooth, would 3D games be playable, would Bluetooth LE be possible.would those phones even support wp 8.1, can they handle three columns. Can they handle transparent live tiles? There is a reason why Microsoft 'didn't bother' to upgrade wp7 devices to 8. They are thinking about the future. And the winRT APIs are already in wp 8.1. We even have the same app extension as windows 8.1 '.appx'
Pretty sure if 520 could handle WP8 well 900 wouldn't have run horribly. Most "3D" games don't run on 512M devices, nor supports 3 tiles nor Bluetooth LE. Even if I take this argument why release high-end product just 4 months before when you know hardware is incapable? Same thing could happen now with 5xx, 6xx series as well, as threshold would add many more features and it "could" run very slow on them. Also, to say blatant lie that due to "kernel" issue update was not done is unacceptable.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I just realized something. Snapdragon 410, 805 and 810 are 64 bit CPU. Thereshold could only be available for 64 bit devices :eek: .. Not. No windows phone device has been released that even has 3GB ram. Even the surface 2 and lumia 2520 have 2GB ram and they are running windows 8.1 rt.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure if 520 could handle WP8 well 900 wouldn't have run horribly. Most "3D" games don't run on 512M devices, nor supports 3 tiles nor Bluetooth LE. Even if I take this argument why release high-end product just 4 months before when you know hardware is incapable? Same thing could happen now with 5xx, 6xx series as well, as threshold would add many more features and it "could" run very slow on them. Also, to say blatant lie that due to "kernel" issue update was not done is unacceptable.
The 520 has better specs than a 900 lol. And So what if the 5xx and 6xx series dies out they get what they pay for. It's a miracle that my 620 can even run 8.1 update 1 smoothly. They would know they got way more than they pay for. If they don't get updated, that's fine. Many low end android users never get their phones updated anyway. As long as the high end phones 820+ get updated! it wouldn't me that much of a problem. And the 900 was Nokia's fault, not Microsoft.they knew it wouldn't be supported but since they were probably to far in the development of the product, they released it anyway.

rahul4aug

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I just realized something. Snapdragon 410, 805 and 810 are 64 bit CPU. Thereshold could only be available for 64 bit devices :eek: .. Not. No windows phone device has been released that even has 3GB ram. Even the surface 2 and lumia 2520 have 2GB ram and they are running windows 8.1 rt.
No body knows what will "Threshold" bring and what will it break, but could be turning point for MS as a whole. I will make or break WP. My argument was just that whatever MS did with WP7.8 was uncalled for and if they do again it would be beginning of end of WP as a whole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo