Why Microsoft will never pull another windows phone 7.8 disaster.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No body knows what will "Threshold" bring and what will it break, but could be turning point for MS as a whole. I will make or break WP. My argument was just that whatever MS did with WP7.8 was uncalled for and if they do again it would be beginning of end of WP as a whole.
Yes definitely, but that doesn't mean devices won't be left out in thereshold.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure if 520 could handle WP8 well 900 wouldn't have run horribly. Most "3D" games don't run on 512M devices, nor supports 3 tiles nor Bluetooth LE.

I have a 520 that I just updated to Cyan and then DP Update 1. It runs butter smooth, even with 3 tiles enabled.

I also have a 1020 and 1520, just for reference. Clean install is key.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It is expected but with MS lifecycle proved to be quite short "4-6 months" to be precise with WP7 ...

WP7 was around for much longer than "4-6 months." From release to final update (7.8) it was a little over 3 years.

I'm sure you know that though, so I'll assume you are talking about a specific phone like the Lumia 900 (which I owned). However, you can't blame MS since it was Nokia that released a "new flagship" WP7 device 6 months before WP8 was going to be launched. You can't really even blame Nokia since it was a custom phone ordered by AT&T. Nokia had released the L800 several months before the L900, but AT&T wanted their own custom device. In addition to that, MS did update the Lumia 900 to WP7.8 nearly a year after the L900 was released (followed by a bug fix release months later) so "4-6 month lifecycle" just doesn't match reality.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
"Kernel" upgrade was biggest lie, technically NT could have run on wp7 devices as CPU architecture was same and XDA devs did ported WP8 to HD7. It was MS being lazy as they needed to redo drivers. This time for "threshold" they have to merge WinPRT and WinRT API so it is bound to break too many things and could be a perfect excuse again.
WinPRT is a subset of the WinRT API, so they're really already the same. Of course, WinPRT has certain features that WinRT does not, but it's still a subset. Also, in Update 1 (8.1 GDR1), devices are allowed to be up to 7". If OEMs decide to do this, they have to install something that gets rid of all the phone components. So, Threshold has already started. The "merge" won't affect anything for the reasons listed above.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I just realized something. Snapdragon 410, 805 and 810 are 64 bit CPU. Thereshold could only be available for 64 bit devices :eek: .. Not. No windows phone device has been released that even has 3GB ram. Even the surface 2 and lumia 2520 have 2GB ram and they are running windows 8.1 rt.
...you do realize 32-bit code can be run, perfectly fine, on 64-bit hardware, right...

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
But 64bit code can't run well on 32bit hardware.

When the time comes that 64bit is needed (to support 4GB+ memory), MS will probably just have a 32bit and 64bit versions of whatever version of WP is current at that time. Devices will just use whichever matches the hardware in that device. At the application level it won't matter too much. There are abstraction layers between the OS and apps that handle the required translations. It should have little or no impact on 3rd party developers.

This is how it was done with Windows when x86 transitioned from 32 to 64 bit. It's the same thing Apple is doing with iOS8.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When the time comes that 64bit is needed (to support 4GB+ memory), MS will probably just have a 32bit and 64bit versions of whatever version of WP is current at that time. Devices will just use whichever matches the hardware in that device. At the application level it won't matter too much. There are abstraction layers between the OS and apps that handle the required translations. It should have little or no impact on 3rd party developers.

This is how it was done with Windows when x86 transitioned from 32 to 64 bit. It's the same thing Apple is doing with iOS8.
Awesome. We have nothing to worry about

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
The reason why wp 7 users were left behind is because there was a shift in the kernel. From windows CE to NT. When you look at 7.8 and 8.0 side by side, you don't really see a difference but when you see it in motion, that's when you see a change. CE only supported single core processors and isn't that secure compared to NT. NT is the future. Multi core processors, better security, more Ram, more efficient, more API's more Everything! If the kernel stayed in NT, we would still be using slow scorpions while the others are using snapdragon 800s etc. Not a good future is it?

Why Microsoft won't do another .8 fiasco is due to how all their products are on the NT kernel. Xbox One, windows 8.1 windows 8.1 RT, windows phone 8.1. In the heart of these products is the NT kernel. Do you know why? Universal Apps! Genius! I can have an app for all of these platforms that are catered for the screen size and experience. I can pay for one app and have it on every platform. This is what Microsoft wanted. This is the future. And if it wasn't for the NT kernel, windows phone wouldn't be where it is today. Microsoft aren't going to do another .8 in a while. In technology, that's probably like 3/4 years or something. But that doesn't mean that older devices won't be missing features of course.

So if you're scared of thereshold meaning 8.0 devices will be abandoned, don't be. Microsoft have done what they needed to do, don't be afraid. 520s are available from ?50 in where I live. And if your still on contract, don't be afraid to get an 8 device, join the new revolution. One Microsoft! :excited: (wow that's so cheesy)

Blind supporters like you were saying the exact same things when I got my first Lumia 800. I never expected MS to pull a **** move like that, but they went ahead and killed WP7 for all intents and purposes. Three days after I got it.

It's risky to ssay "oh this is so stupid even MS would not do it" but they have proven that they can and they will, time and time again.

Aviskri

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Blind supporters like you were saying the exact same things when I got my first Lumia 800. I never expected MS to pull a **** move like that, but they went ahead and killed WP7 for all intents and purposes. Three days after I got it.

It's risky to ssay "oh this is so stupid even MS would not do it" but they have proven that they can and they will, time and time again.

That's Nokia fault not Microsoft, WP7 was supported for 3 years

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Lol, perhaps most that you say is true. But I have doubts if the older WP 8.x (920 etc.) would get threshold, even if it supports it. Devices have their support period, and Microsoft will not push any updates to these phones at a certain point.

But in this world there is a miracle called Developer Preview lol. #foreverpreviewsoftware

They have already done it twice. Windows 6.5 ---> Windows Phone 7 -----> Windows PHone 8

My guess it will happen again. My Titan 2 on AT&T never got the official 7.8 update. :(

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

But 64bit code can't run well on 32bit hardware.
I'd like to add to the above. By the time there are enough 64-bit apps out to matter, 32-bit mobile processors will be a thing of the past. Developers won't even bother with writing 64-bit compatible apps until the majority of devices have 64-bit processors, anyway. As for the OS, it will work on both 32-bit and 64-bit hardware, we can be sure of that.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Angry much? This really has nothing to do with being a "blind supporter" or a "shill". It is about having realistic expectations of cutting edge technology as well as some knowledge of that technology.

First of all, the Lumia 800 was released in October of 2011 and it's last major update to WP 7.8 was in January of 2013. So it was supported for 15 months. The fact that you bought yours a few days before WP 8 was officially released, which is a year after the Lumia 800 hit the market, doesn't take away from it's actual lifecycle. Furthermore, your Lumia 800 didn't suddenly break when WP 8 came out.

More importantly, this occurs in any fast moving area of technology. If you think this is unique to MS you are far more blind than any of us. Apple actually does this for the iPhone with almost every new release of iOS. I'll use the iPhone 4 as an example, but every iPhone has a similar timeline.

The iPhone 4 was released June 24, 2010 and discontinued on October 4, 2011 (16 months). The white model was discontinued only 6 months after its initial release. That is the hardware life cycle. On the software side, the iPhone 4 can be updated to "iOS 7", but it won't be supported for iOS 8. However, I put iOS 7 in quotes because the version of iOS 7 that is supported on the iPhone 4 doesn't include most of the major features. For example, Siri, panorama camera, video facetime, turn by turn maps, and a whole bunch more features that were introduced in iOS 5, 6, and 7. Apple calls it "iOS 7", but it's missing most of the features of iOS versions 5, 6, and 7. How can that be? Is it the same iOS version or not? Shouldn't it be called iOS 4.x or 5.x or 6.x?

So to recap, when Apple releases an iOS version for previous generation devices that only contains a subset of the features that the new devices get, it's all good as long as they give each of those different versions of the OS the same version number. However, when MS does the same thing, but names the lesser featured version 7.8 and the new version 8.0 it's a total rip off because someone just bought their phone last week.

The smart phone market is moving very rapidly and these disruptions are bound to happen. At least MS is honest with their version numbers. Apple gives two different versions of their OS the same version number and gets a free pass because of the ignorance of the average consumer. Google isn't immune to this either. Who can even count all the phones that have been left behind because of Android updates that couldn't or wouldn't run properly on the previous generation hardware. Android is well known for that. Of the three big players, MS is actually doing a decent job at providing an upgrade path, with WP 7 to 8 being the only breaking exception so far.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I never said MS would not do it, I said it's very unlikely but that doesn't mean phones won't be left behind.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't even there in the WP7 days. I didn't know it even exisited at the time. And I'm not a blind supporter, I did my research, I've used all the Big 3 phone platforms. I even wrote the first post using an iPad. Im afraid you are just unlucky, you just bought the phone at the wrong time. Everyone knew windows mobile didn't stand a chance anyway. If you look at all the videos and pictures of WP8.1 you'll understand why microsoft made this change in the first place. If WP7 wasn't killed of, Windows Phone wouldn't be what it is today. Just think about that. Of course all technology does get killed of at some point but not the same way it happened with wp7. Fine don't switch to 8.1 then, you are missing out on all the great features.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile EOL'D the Lumia 810 after 5 months, and it's the only phone not getting Black, Cyan, or 8.1. It has already happened.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile EOL'D the Lumia 810 after 5 months, and it's the only phone not getting Black, Cyan, or 8.1. It has already happened.
That is T Mobile's problem, not Microsoft. Microsoft had nothing to do with it. If you look in the forums the 810 users are on 8.1 GDR1 already. It's not getting support anymore but you can still update it. You just can't get the firmware. Like someone said earlier, Thank God for the Developers Preview.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, ok.... There is a thread on the 810 from May 2013. We have tweeted and emailed everyone and the answer is as follows: T-Mobile blames Nokia, Nokia blames T-Mobile, and Microsoft doesn't give a crap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon