Why Microsoft will never pull another windows phone 7.8 disaster.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Three months after Lumia 900 came out with wp7.5, MS introduced WP8 while WP7.5 were left to deal with WP7.8 update. Anyway, let bygones be bygones.

On a more relevant note, MS said something about 18 months support cycle but I don't know exactly. Given that Nokia is under MS banner now, we can assume that first generation of WP8 phones will miss out on the official threshold firmware update with possibly 1520 and onwards phones making the cut for it.

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got a 1520, so we'll see. The 18 months of support is a myth, just ask the Lumia 810 owners.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It must have something to do with carrier. And I'm sure it was an exception. Average people upgrade their phones within two years anyways. Just make sure to not buy a two year old phone just before a new version of OS is going to be announced. :wink:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The 810 was launched in November 2012, it was Eol 5 months later. It hasn't been updated since November 2013.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows CE is what threw me off WP7, I was soo going to upgrade to the Qwerty HTC Wp7 but landscape support was choppy at best.
(heck even Dreamcast ran on Windows CE... what a console.. shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves for giving us Shenmue).
I wanted to get a Wp7 phone but I wasn't going to drop half a grand on a phone which was going to be obsolete in the future.

Unfortunately those who have since switched platforms after WP7.8, majority of those are casual users and may not switch back as they have been burnt. If MS went with the NT kernel for WP7 to begin with, windows phone would definitely have more global market share today.

Which is why I say, when you are going to spend your hard earned cash - research on positives, research on negatives and do more research until you are completely satisfied the pro's outweigh the cons for you.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
People have made good points, but I have an opinion on whether or not the current phones will become obsolete in the near future. Of course they are, all phones do. In fact, Microsoft is better with it than most, in my opinion, telling you what will and will not be updated, and the upgrade path of that phone.
In addition, Microsoft has been releasing a lot of budget and mid-range phones lately, in order to reel in new supporters by offering cheap, affordable phones with a clean, smooth interface. Microsoft can't risk the consumers they have gotten by making the newest phones obsolete. I suspect that ever current phone out right now will receive every major update for at least another year, until the hardware of the low-end phones become obsolete.
Microsoft has been stupid in the past, but they're not alone. And we have all seen the actions of Nadella, it seems he's seriously improving Microsoft's mobile phone division. There's a bright future for Windows Phones, I know a lot of people who love and enjoy using Windows.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The reason why wp 7 users were left behind is because there was a shift in the kernel. From windows CE to NT. When you look at 7.8 and 8.0 side by side, you don't really see a difference but when you see it in motion, that's when you see a change. CE only supported single core processors and isn't that secure compared to NT. NT is the future. Multi core processors, better security, more Ram, more efficient, more API's more Everything! If the kernel stayed in CE, we would still be using slow scorpions while the others are using snapdragon 800s etc. Not a good future is it?

Why Microsoft won't do another .8 fiasco is due to how all their products are on the NT kernel. Xbox One, windows 8.1 windows 8.1 RT, windows phone 8.1. In the heart of these products is the NT kernel. Do you know why? Universal Apps! Genius! I can have an app for all of these platforms that are catered for the screen size and experience. I can pay for one app and have it on every platform. This is what Microsoft wanted. This is the future. And if it wasn't for the NT kernel, windows phone wouldn't be where it is today. Microsoft aren't going to do another .8 in a while. In technology, that's probably like 3/4 years or something. But that doesn't mean that older devices won't be missing features of course.

So if you're scared of thereshold meaning 8.0 devices will be abandoned, don't be. Microsoft have done what they needed to do, don't be afraid. 520s are available from ?50 in where I live. And if your still on contract, don't be afraid to get an 8 device, join the new revolution. One Microsoft! :excited: (wow that's so cheesy)
A very well reasoned post. However, this is Microsoft that we're talking about and not every decision Microsoft makes is based on what is public knowledge or strictly due to technical reasons.

I'd rather say that people should choose a Windows Phone device based on what it can do today... not what it MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be able to do in the future. I don't do cell phone contracts anymore... I'm strictly pay-as-you-go, and so I have a WP8 device as one of a few phones that I switch between. If I were to get into a 2 year contract, I would be very cautious about getting a Windows Phone now.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Let's not forget that the only real reason for keep introducing new systems is to get money out of your pocket and into theirs.

The technology for bigger and higher res screens, cameras and so on has been around for years. Don't be fooled by the old "manufacturing costs" argument. The only reason, for example, that most current flagship smartphones don't have a 4x UHD screen is because that's what they want to sell you the next time you upgrade.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Lol, perhaps most that you say is true. But I have doubts if the older WP 8.x (920 etc.) would get threshold, even if it supports it. Devices have their support period, and Microsoft will not push any updates to these phones at a certain point.

But in this world there is a miracle called Developer Preview lol. #foreverpreviewsoftware

One can hope that the hackers figure out how to root older WP8 devices when this happens. Same that happened with old WP 2003 devices that was getting WM 6.5 and all the android devices getting upgrades to the newest version. Not by the OEMS but, by the hackers...

As of right now, the only WP8 device that can be ALMOST rooted is the Samsung models....but, not sure if they are flashing custom roms yet.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
They shouldn't though. All Windows phones have 3 years support. Lumia 920 was released in 2012. Threshold may be the 920's last update

Yes they should. We should not be expected to keep having to dip into our pockets to buy the latest thing just because that's what the manufacturer decided. It's just profiteering and we're all falling for it.

The main function of a mobile phone is the same as it was when it was first invented. We should expect it to last as long as it needs to and only have to bin it when it finally packs in or gets broken, not because the manufacturer decided it's obsolete. I'm not saying forever but 3 years is no time at all.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes they should. We should not be expected to keep having to dip into our pockets to buy the latest thing just because that's what the manufacturer decided. It's just profiteering and we're all falling for it.

The main function of a mobile phone is the same as it was when it was first invented. We should expect it to last as long as it needs to and only have to bin it when it finally packs in or gets broken, not because the manufacturer decided it's obsolete. I'm not saying forever but 3 years is no time at all.
Woah calm down. The manufacturer just isn't supporting it. No FIRMWARE updates. If you get the phone replaced, you will get a different phone, like a 930 or something. Remember, there's always the developer preview. Something that didn't exist in the WP7 days. Your phone will still function.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Woah calm down. The manufacturer just isn't supporting it. No FIRMWARE updates. If you get the phone replaced, you will get a different phone, like a 930 or something. Remember, there's always the developer preview. Something that didn't exist in the WP7 days. Your phone will still function.

I know all that but the fact remains that decisions not to continue support are simply because they want more of your cash in their pockets by hoping you will buy their latest model instead, that's the point I am trying to make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa