Why Microsoft will never pull another windows phone 7.8 disaster.

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
How do you work that out? it's Microsoft's OS! They must have some responsibility for it. Surely Nokia and MS could have pushed it to other vendors, there are hundreds of others around the world!
Microsoft had nothing do with it. If Microsoft had a part in preventing the 810 from being updated, they would have blocked it from the Developer Preview as well.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes Threshold and beyond. All future MS OS's are working towards what Microsoft calls 'convergence'. The same experience across all your devices. That's what so exciting about the platform to me.

Microsoft have been saying that for as long as I can remember. Isn't that what Apple and Google are doing? It's not exactly a unique concept, just one that they keep promising and not delivering.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft had nothing do with it. If Microsoft had a part in preventing the 810 from being updated, they would have blocked it from the Developer Preview as well.

Microsoft, T-Mobile, and Nokia says that the update wasn't working for the 810, yet not one person who downloaded the preview has problems.

d3ad connection

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
(This is pure speculation) I think T-Mobile is to blame, even though all companies blame the device. Probably had a disagreement with Nokia involving the 810, and T-Mobile pulled the plug early. T-Mobile is the one to approve updates for their exclusive phone. I'm not going to blame Microsoft for not getting involved with it, they didn't own Nokia when it all went down.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Blatant lie or just a mistake on your part?

The iphone 4 was discontinued September 2013.

It didn't have siri due to a noise cancellation mic, and yes you can face time. The feature was introduced with the iphone 4, don't know how you missed that.

Seriously your facts are way off base.

No need to get your panties in a wad. I was talking about the 16 and 32GB models, but I should have been more specific. The 8GB model was actually released after the 16 and 32GB were discontinued. Apple did keep the 8GB models around longer than most of its other models (as a "free" option for people buying phones on contract). From a hardware perspective, those are completely different models.

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe Facetime video only works over WiFi for the iPhone 4, while it works over cellular with more recent models. I could very well be wrong though. It really doesn't matter though. There are plenty of other examples. My point was that technology companies can only go back so far when adding new software features to their product line.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I do get it. They are upset that 810 was left behind and that Microsoft should have responsibility for it because it's their OS. Look at Android, this type of thing happens all the time. Even in pc's this happens. You say this because you are still mad about 7.8 but this is a different situation which occurs with many devices. Let it go.
Wow so since you can't support your own argument or come up with excuses for other OSes you decide to hate on other platforms.

First of all it doesn't happen on PCs one of my cousins has nearly a 7 year old laptop and is running Windows 8 on it, so the PC argument is invalid.

As far as Android goes this does indeed happen but where Google can not provide an update it at least provides a few goodies from the next iteration. What I mean is that maybe a lot of devices weren't updated to Android 4.4 KitKat did get Hangouts SMS functionality and the latest Google Now Launcher, add to that the fact that you can flash a Custom ROM you'll have the latest Android version for years.

As far as the Lumia 810 goes, I don't understand why it was EOL especially because its hardware is capable. Microsoft also has very few devices to manage so it should've tried.

But don't hate on other OSes.

If You Want My Continued Support On This Forum, Please Leave a Thumbs Up!

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
No need to get your panties in a wad. I was talking about the 16 and 32GB models, but I should have been more specific. The 8GB model was actually released after the 16 and 32GB were discontinued. Apple did keep the 8GB models around longer than most of its other models (as a "free" option for people buying phones on contract). From a hardware perspective, those are completely different models.

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe Facetime video only works over WiFi for the iPhone 4, while it works over cellular with more recent models. I could very well be wrong though. It really doesn't matter though. There are plenty of other examples. My point was that technology companies can only go back so far when adding new software features to their product line.

I don't know if you're speaking from your personal life or what, but men don't wear panties where I'm from. I want no parts of that conversation if that what you do.

From a hardware perspective those are completely different models? So memory makes a phone a completely different model? They have different parts or something?

Your point was valid. You just didn't support it with any facts.

You could've said Microsoft chose to put out WP7 knowing it was dead from the beginning, because WP8 was in development at the same time.

You could've said microsoft didn't update phones from WM5 to WM6, or WM6.1 to 6.5, or 6.5.x to 7.

But hey, don't let me intervene with facts.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How do you work that out? it's Microsoft's OS! They must have some responsibility for it. Surely Nokia and MS could have pushed it to other vendors, there are hundreds of others around the world!

The L810 is a custom carrier exclusive device that T-Mobile had built for their network. If T-Mobile drops support for their own exclusive device it doesn't make sense for Nokia or MS to update it. Your anger is misplaced.

Microsoft have been saying that for as long as I can remember. Isn't that what Apple and Google are doing? It's not exactly a unique concept, just one that they keep promising and not delivering.

No, Apple and Google aren't really doing this.

Apple has committed to iOS and OS X which are two completely different worlds for both users and developers. There is no overlap except were Apple programs specific links between them. That is not at all the same as being able to run a program on all platforms or run the same OS on a tablet, laptop, and desktop. The fact that MS has made hybrid tablet/laptop devices possible and Apple has not, is a good indicator of which company has gone further with convergence.

Google doesn't even have anything close to what most people would consider a general purpose desktop OS like Windows or OS X. Therefore, Google can't even do the level of convergence that MS is attempting.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

From a hardware perspective those are completely different models? So memory makes a phone a completely different model? They have different parts or something?

Yes, from a hardware perspective those are completely different models. It's not like you can open them up and upgrade the storage or something. I don't think you would consider them the same if you needed a replacement for your 32GB iPhone 4 and Apple told you that it's discontinued, but they will give you the "newly released" 8GB iPhone 4. If they were all the same model, Apple wouldn't have different release/discontinued dates for them.

Anyway, most of my original post was about software support. You mentioned two transitions with smart phones where MS has left the previous generation behind. Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 7 to 8. I was making the point that Apple has left a previous generation behind with nearly every release of iOS (by leaving out features for previous devices yet calling it the same version). I'm not trying to say MS is better than Apple or vice versa. I'm saying that this is the norm when you are dealing with any cutting edge technology.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, from a hardware perspective those are completely different models. It's not like you can open them up and upgrade the storage or something. I don't think you would consider them the same if you needed a replacement for your 32GB iPhone 4 and Apple told you that it's discontinued, but they will give you the "newly released" 8GB iPhone 4. If they were all the same model, Apple wouldn't have different release/discontinued dates for them.

Anyway, most of my original post was about software support. You mentioned two transitions with smart phones where MS has left the previous generation behind. Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 7 to 8. I was making the point that Apple has left a previous generation behind with nearly every release of iOS (by leaving out features for previous devices yet calling it the same version). I'm not trying to say MS is better than Apple or vice versa. I'm saying that this is the norm when you are dealing with any cutting edge technology.

Yet. You keep mentioning Apple with Microsoft. They support their phone OSs entirely different.

The iphone 4 can run every app that doesn't need a specific hardware type. You're not mention the new APIs and apps that become available.

My old Lumia 900 can not run any new apps for WP8. That's the big difference you're leaving out.

So Apple may drop stuff that the hardware can't support, but the phone can run the apps with the new APIs.

Things may change for Microsoft since they own Nokia now.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow so since you can't support your own argument or come up with excuses for other OSes you decide to hate on other platforms.

First of all it doesn't happen on PCs one of my cousins has nearly a 7 year old laptop and is running Windows 8 on it, so the PC argument is invalid.

As far as Android goes this does indeed happen but where Google can not provide an update it at least provides a few goodies from the next iteration. What I mean is that maybe a lot of devices weren't updated to Android 4.4 KitKat did get Hangouts SMS functionality and the latest Google Now Launcher, add to that the fact that you can flash a Custom ROM you'll have the latest Android version for years.

As far as the Lumia 810 goes, I don't understand why it was EOL especially because its hardware is capable. Microsoft also has very few devices to manage so it should've tried.

But don't hate on other OSes.

If You Want My Continued Support On This Forum, Please Leave a Thumbs Up!
I was talking about what you just said. The manufacturer of that PC doesn't support. The device anymore however you can still get windows 8 on it. The same way Microsoft allow you to get 8.1 via the preview. And like someone said earlier, this is t mobile's phone. If the phone doesn't get the official update then Microsoft can't do anything about it.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
No, Apple and Google aren't really doing this.

Apple has committed to iOS and OS X which are two completely different worlds for both users and developers. There is no overlap except were Apple programs specific links between them. That is not at all the same as being able to run a program on all platforms or run the same OS on a tablet, laptop, and desktop. The fact that MS has made hybrid tablet/laptop devices possible and Apple has not, is a good indicator of which company has gone further with convergence.

Google doesn't even have anything close to what most people would consider a general purpose desktop OS like Windows or OS X. Therefore, Google can't even do the level of convergence that MS is attempting.

I was generalising really, being able to access your docs, emails, music and so on across all devices. MS are still trying to do what they promised years ago but even accessing your own desktop remotely fell down unless your desktop was powered up and running. Nothing ever worked the way it was meant to and what the vast majority of people want is simply to be able to access their tunes and so on which they can now do easily with Android and iOS.

I'm no expert in this field but I think for what most people are looking for, MS have missed the boat already because cloud computing gives people what they want now. I know it's not the same as total convergence but the point is it covers what most people need. In otherwords we don't really need what MS is trying to do any more anyway.

Last edited:

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Just wait and see... Lumia 1520 gonna be the last great device... all future WP devices you will see a "downgraded" hw profile where it lack here and there. Time will tell, and all future OS update will able to be install on L1520 but of coz the firmware from Nokia is no more, here we can treat the L1520 as a powerful PC that can install any future OS (that require <2GB ram requirement). Why I said so? try look at the laptop/pc market on its processor, anyone seeing any current OS that required Octa core 5GHz processor to enable it to be install?? I agreed on the 64bit future, but to enable that to be happen this will make ALL current device near to obsolete so why worry about it now while you can get a cheap L1520 as low as $400 bucks? ppls do always wants more, but let face it there's nothing such as free lunch in this world and your few penny would last you forever on the support, and I read somebody mention about those military kit upgrade and things but do remember do you think all those future maintainance update come out FOC?? old equipment update is doable as long as you keep pumping $$ into it, but for gadget wise anyone want to keep paying few hundreds bucks once in a while just to ensure its old device got all the latest OS fixes??? for me every 3 years would be a nice time frame to throw those old gadget away as even it's usable but all those external wear and tear already make it pain in your eyes to keep... so enjoy your device while it's still feel new to you and use it at its fullness so it worth every penny you've spend on it and not day in day out keep watching for update/upgrade... :p

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i have a windows 7 phone, and bought one after windows 8 was announced.
i had no problem doing this, because of the hardware keyboard support,
and zune compatibility. so i knew what i was getting.

i never thought that people think that the switch from 7 to 8 was a disaster.

to me, it was just normal business practices.

if the hardware can't support the new OS, then people will buy a new phone.

that being said, if there are features in windows 9, threshold, that can't be
done on windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 update 1.... then so be it.

you will have to get a new phone to take advantage of those features.

how is this different from anything else, you as a consumer should know
hopefully what you are getting, and what it can do.

yes, it would be nice to have some support for older hardware and applications.

but if this holds back the development of a newer, and improved system, then
that's what they will do.

i can definitely see it happening.

later

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The 520 has better specs than a 900 lol. And So what if the 5xx and 6xx series dies out they get what they pay for. It's a miracle that my 620 can even run 8.1 update 1 smoothly. They would know they got way more than they pay for. If they don't get updated, that's fine. Many low end android users never get their phones updated anyway. As long as the high end phones 820+ get updated! it wouldn't me that much of a problem. And the 900 was Nokia's fault, not Microsoft.they knew it wouldn't be supported but since they were probably to far in the development of the product, they released it anyway.

Hey lumia 820 is not high end.it is same like lumia 720 low end overpriced at the time of launch with worst battery life of WP family.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey lumia 820 is not high end.it is same like lumia 720 low end overpriced at the time of launch with worst battery life of WP family.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
It has 1GB ram which means it can run every single app. And it has the same CPU as the 920 but a lower resolution so it actually runs faster than the 920. It can go to the Highest graphical settings due to this. It is not the same as the low end 720. However the battery is terrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos