The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-16-2014 12:41 PM
58 123
tools
    They have to do that, otherwise they should stop developing and selling WP. The only one to be blamed for this and the market share of WP is MS. All I am asking is for them to prioritize their OS. I don't care about MS being " software company first". What's the point of having their mobile OS if it's not the first on their list.
    I understand your pain. I hate that Microsoft has made such a brilliant OS but doesn't know how to advertise it or prioritize it.
    08-10-2014 07:56 PM
    To answer the OP. Microsoft doesn't know how to rectify these issues. They don't know how to play dirty like Google by only releasing subpar apps for the other platforms and making your platform look superior. They don't know how to use their brands like Xbox live. Who doesn't love xbox on a phone? They don't know how to advertise well consistently. I don't know why Microsoft are acting so passive. Be aggressive.

Maybe you should try complaining to them on twitter or email them. They actually listen to the consumer now.
    08-10-2014 08:06 PM
    It's because MS is a software and service company that represents itself to all platform. That part is understandable, the issue that bothers me is the fact that some apps, for instance Skype is better (in term of performance and feature) in Android / iOS, rather than their own platform.

In other words, it's really understandable that MS will release most of their apps and services to other platform, but they need to revise on how they do it. Their own OS have to be their top priority, make it superior in comparison of other platform. Like, "We'll release this app / service to your OS, but it's inferior to the WP version, if you want to get a much better experience you have to switch to our OS".
    08-10-2014 08:28 PM
    Get used to it.. its software company , there are multiple divisions and teams which does different type of development work.
    Eg Office software team = 5000 employees doing developments on office only. Now if IOS or android teams can get their products ready and are more quicker then WP teams , why should they wait they have worked hard and made their product available to market.
    "Get used to it"?? We as consumers and users of products are just supposed to accept it and say "oh, they're a software company"? Nah, they have a HOME TEAM operating system that should always, always be the first one to get any new goodies and they should have the best quality and most features of all the operating system variants of said goodies.

They work for Microsoft is why they should wait. Maybe they need to go help out the WP developers if they are so speedy. HOW does Microsoft go to developers and ask them to develop for Windows Phone? They can't do it with a straight face when they allow their OWN divisions to put WP on the backburner. This doesn't bode well...not at all. Do I really have to have an iPhone to get the best of Microsoft?? Nope...I won't ever get used to that.
    08-10-2014 09:53 PM
    MS are a software company first as has been mentioned. WP is just a division of that corporation, and still a relative newcomer.
    So what if they have apps or software for other platforms that are not available for WP.

They are a 'business' and if they feel that they can make money doing that, then great. More money to sink into development of WP. No money coming in means more cuts, and that can only be bad for WP.

WP users needs to grow a thicker skin about these sorts of things, It's relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of WP. As long as other companies are developing for WP, that's really all that matters. More devs can only be a good thing!!! Plus MS can always bring these to WP in the future if they feel it is warranted...
    08-11-2014 02:23 AM
    Many sites actually have reported about the app and in every article, there's always that exclamation mark about Microsoft not releasing it on WP first, let alone not releasing it on WP at all.
    This has generated nothing but a very bad image about Microsoft. WP users, who come across this, would definitely feel annoyed, if not enraged. Non-WP users probably have gained more assurance to stay with the platform they use. why would they switch if they get MS apps on their platform first??
    Last edited by Mohamed Zaher1; 08-11-2014 at 03:08 AM.
    08-11-2014 02:57 AM
    yup, no reply. I have also tweeted belfiore. if u have a more effective way to reach them, it would be nice if u share it
    Edit : this is a reply to Laura Knotek
    08-11-2014 03:25 AM
    Maybe, they are just using iPhone people as beta testers and then publish the polished version for WP. *there there*
    08-11-2014 03:39 AM
    You know, when I read threads like this, and there's been a few, I have to contain myself from laughing.

All of us have drank a bit of the Kool-Aid, some more than others. We believe these companies have our own interests at heart but they don't. They care about one thing and one thing only, the bottom line.

It's nice to think about companies caring for us and thinking they care that their customers are happy, but at the end of the day their own interests are first and foremost and those customers who give them the most money (i.e. other companies) are the ones they'll bow to first.

Make no mistake, MS is a company with company interests. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

With a platform that has barely gained any ground in 2 years and with a poor showing of hardware this year it's no surprise that Nadella has said himself that software will be MS's focus. Don't be overly surprised as more and more software hits other devices first over WP because that's where the market and money is.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    08-11-2014 05:36 AM
    They can't do that, Microsoft are a software company FIRST. Blame our low market share to why it still hasn't been released to the WP store yet. They don't care about prioritzation, they just want to make money.
    Climatology is a free app. What money? There is no way to make money in mobile except in 1 way:

high-margin hardware that fuels an app store that generates billions in revenue due to 10 billion app purchases/year. I'm talking about how Apple does it and Samsung to a lesser extent.

Do you realize that Apple + Samsung account for 105% of mobile industry profits? Yes that means everyone else is actually losing money.
    dalydose and Etios like this.
    08-11-2014 11:15 AM
    I saw this, but I wanted to wait a few days to reserve judgement before I voiced my displeasure. It may be the case where the app for WP is still undergoing certification. Time will tell.
    08-11-2014 02:53 PM
    Some of you are missing the business point of all of this. MS should want their software products on the highest selling devices as soon as humanly possible because dragging their feet allows eyes to start wandering towards alternatives. But you're absolutely right, those of you who pointed out that the WP versions should be just as good once they arrive.
    Actually, some of us just see the business side of it differently than you do. At the status quo, one can get the best of Microsoft by buying hardware and operating system software from the competition. For the company as a whole, this isn't what I think to be a good, long term move. Climatology makes no revenue. Snipp3t will generate some Bing traffic, but I'm doubting that it will be a must-download for the masses. Those aren't great gains, but what are the losses? Windows Phone loses from Microsoft itself contributing to the "app gap" on its own platform. Windows Phone has little natural competitive advantage as Microsoft refuses to leverage any Microsoft assets for the benefit of Windows Phone. The PR and credibility perception losses will contribute more to losses than those apps will add revenue.
    08-11-2014 05:40 PM
    Office is 1st introduced on MS platforms and usually best on MS platforms, except for the latest "Touch" versions.
    08-11-2014 07:37 PM
    To put it better who gives proper food away to strangers but forgets to cook the one given to family???
    08-11-2014 07:54 PM
    To put it better who gives proper food away to strangers but forgets to cook the one given to family???
    That's a pretty huge exaggeration. The app that they released is pretty dumb and will gain a few thousand downloads at most. It's more like giving a stranger a Snickers bar instead of to your family because strangers would be a better audience for a Snickers bar than your family would. Can we calm down the dramatics for a second?
    08-11-2014 08:13 PM
    That's a pretty huge exaggeration. The app that they released is pretty dumb and will gain a few thousand downloads at most. It's more like giving a stranger a Snickers bar instead of to your family because strangers would be a better audience for a Snickers bar than your family would. Can we calm down the dramatics for a second?
    The apps may not be as significant as how they become the MS contribution to the "app gap" conversation evidenced by their own unwillingness to prioritize their own OS. Why would any other developers take WP seriously if MS divisions don't.

I tthink the dramatics are 100% called for.
    08-12-2014 12:39 AM
    You know, when I read threads like this, and there's been a few, I have to contain myself from laughing.

All of us have drank a bit of the Kool-Aid, some more than others. We believe these companies have our own interests at heart but they don't. They care about one thing and one thing only, the bottom line.

It's nice to think about companies caring for us and thinking they care that their customers are happy, but at the end of the day their own interests are first and foremost and those customers who give them the most money (i.e. other companies) are the ones they'll bow to first.

Make no mistake, MS is a company with company interests. To think otherwise is to be foolish.

With a platform that has barely gained any ground in 2 years and with a poor showing of hardware this year it's no surprise that Nadella has said himself that software will be MS's focus. Don't be overly surprised as more and more software hits other devices first over WP because that's where the market and money is.
    I fail to see your business perception. Of course we know pretty well that all companies seek profits first and last, since we, WP users, pour money directly on MS. Then we are the main business of MS. hence, the whole thread. I will be surprised if these apps on other platforms get MS more than 1% of what MS gets from WP users on hardware,services and apps.
    Actually, most of the apps on the app store and play store from MS are free making your argument pretty much invalid. This is not some Office or Skype software, this is a very low profile app. However, the point is not about the app itself. It's about the concept of how MS should treat those who buy its hardware, software and services and how we finally see the walls between MS teams come down for the benefit of us MS customers ( again) who pour money directly on MS . At the end, from a business point of view, this free app didn't get MS any rewards. On the contrary, it has lowered MS financial benefits (marginally of course) from both WP and non WP users.
    Well, the picture is not all gloom. The WP team has been hard at work specially this year. Finally, WP is now literally neck and neck in terms of features with the other platforms. Nevertheless, there is supposed to be no place for such silly mistakes, as MS doesn't have the luxury of time.
    08-12-2014 06:27 AM
    What dramatics are you talking about??? I've been a WP user for about less than a month and all I've read from any WP forum is how MS makes better versions of apps made by MS found on the other 2 rival OSes Android and IOS BETTER!!!! So what I said speaks to what YOU have been saying if you choose to see it or interpret it differently then that's YOUR right. In the end ANYONE reading those posts will have no choice but to believe that to be the case ESPECIALLY since those who write them DON'T live in the same country, state or use the SAME service provider. So YOU can interpret that any which way you want but in the end I will still hold it unbelievable that an OS maker would make apps BETTER functionally and visually for the COMPETITION than its OWN OS users.
    08-12-2014 07:12 AM
    I fail to see your business perception. Of course we know pretty well that all companies seek profits first and last, since we, WP users, pour money directly on MS. Then we are the main business of MS. hence, the whole thread. I will be surprised if these apps on other platforms get MS more than 1% of what MS gets from WP users on hardware,services and apps.
    I think you have a higher opinion of WP users then most other people do. You only have to look at the difference of PC vs WP sales to see what MS's main business and biggest business is. You also don't need to go too far to see that after Windows OS, Office is their second (it could be first even come to think of it). Your 'pouring' of money into MS is bit off. 5% of smartphones world wide are WP. That's not really a lot. They will continue to gain money from their first and foremost source, software. To suggest otherwise is not understanding MS.

Actually, most of the apps on the app store and play store from MS are free making your argument pretty much invalid. This is not some Office or Skype software, this is a very low profile app. However, the point is not about the app itself. It's about the concept of how MS should treat those who buy its hardware, software and services and how we finally see the walls between MS teams come down for the benefit of us MS customers ( again) who pour money directly on MS . At the end, from a business point of view, this free app didn't get MS any rewards. On the contrary, it has lowered MS financial benefits (marginally of course) from both WP and non WP users.
    Well, the picture is not all gloom. The WP team has been hard at work specially this year. Finally, WP is now literally neck and neck in terms of features with the other platforms. Nevertheless, there is supposed to be no place for such silly mistakes, as MS doesn't have the luxury of time.
    As for this point, I won't really argue with you here. However, if you go by what others say, whether you agree or not, it's about increasing the profile of MS. If people like their software they may look at the phones. In any case I believe that most of their free apps have advertising on them as well. So that's income as well.

As for the final part of your comment. I think personally WP has a long way to go in many respects. In general it's a good OS now that it's loosened up a bit and the features in my opinion are ok. I don't use majority of features that were released with WP8.1 as I found most of them pointless. I don't even use Cortana. As for the WP team being hard at work this year, maybe they should have pushed harder and released WP8.1 last year. Then maybe I would have been more impressed. Two years waiting for the first major update was rather sad, I should also point out I don't have it yet. I won't go into the fact that some of the newer features won't work on my phone either but such is life.

To me WP will either succeed or fail based on MS and their ability to enter the market with something that people want. At this stage I think the approach wasn't well executed and with buying Nokia I'm unsure if it's going to get any better any time soon. I'm rather unimpressed with any of the new hardware that's come out. I think their initial WP8 OS was rather beta and hurried released and it was Nokia that pushed the boundaries of it. It was also Nokia who directed the sales to lower end hardware. Does MS feel they can do better. That's the question.

Does it matter that apps appear on other OSs before WP? I think to a point it does but what it really shows is MS's fragmented company structure. Until that's all fixed, this is what's going to happen but keep in mind, MS is a software company. Their priority is software and making money from it. It's up to you if you can deal with that or not.
    08-12-2014 08:49 AM
    The PR and credibility perception losses will contribute more to losses than those apps will add revenue.
    Don't you think Microsoft would've taken this effect into consideration? I think they looked at all factors, and made an educated guess. All things being considered, they evidently decided that overall it was financially advantageous to do what they did.
    Mach_E likes this.
    08-12-2014 09:25 AM
    I think you have a higher opinion of WP users then most other people do. You only have to look at the difference of PC vs WP sales to see what MS's main business and biggest business is. You also don't need to go too far to see that after Windows OS, Office is their second (it could be first even come to think of it). Your 'pouring' of money into MS is bit off. 5% of smartphones world wide are WP. That's not really a lot. They will continue to gain money from their first and foremost source, software. To suggest otherwise is not understanding MS.
    I was saying that we are the main business of MS in the context of the mobile space. Windows and Office are not relevant here. My point is that WP users are more valuable to MS than other mobile platforms users. We are paying alot more money on apps and services than them, not to mention , we are more highly to upgrade to WP hardware than them switching to WP.

As for this point, I won't really argue with you here. However, if you go by what others say, whether you agree or not, it's about increasing the profile of MS. If people like their software they may look at the phones. In any case I believe that most of their free apps have advertising on them as well. So that's income as well.
    I fail to see how such app would make someone switch to WP, specially when they know this app ( and other apps) is not on WP. This will actually backfire.

The rest of your comment is subjective, so no point of arguing. Anyway, someone on reddit has clarified things for SNIPP3T and it's pretty much alarming.
    08-12-2014 02:32 PM
    Microsoft clarifies why Snipp3t is iOS only, breaking existing development molds - Neowin
    I don't know how to feel about this.I really hope some WPCentral author to seek after the story
    Last edited by Mohamed Zaher1; 08-12-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Mach_E and Brandon Tobias like this.
    08-12-2014 02:40 PM
    Microsoft clarifies why Snipp3t is iOS only, breaking existing development molds - Neowin
    I don't know how to feel about this.I really hope some WPCentral author to seek after the story
    Lots of hysteria on the comment thread stating that MS doesn't care about their own platform. Never mind that the best inside-source Mary Jo Foley has said Office Touch, Windows 9, RT/Phone merge are coming! They don't want to listen.
    08-12-2014 10:18 PM
    Don't you think Microsoft would've taken this effect into consideration? I think they looked at all factors, and made an educated guess. All things being considered, they evidently decided that overall it was financially advantageous to do what they did.
    I think you give them too much credit. I think the engineer in charge assumes that long term, he will woo iOS users to all of the apps developed under his regime. That is a risky assumption. One of the Microsoft employees who developed thus celeb stalking app, has been quoted as saying the Nadella era is moving away from being Windows centric. You know, that cash cow set of operating systems isn't worthy of his prioritizations now. I think he has a crazy vision and dismisses any negative input about it.
    tgp likes this.
    08-12-2014 10:26 PM
    I think you give them too much credit. I think the engineer in charge assumes that long term, he will woo iOS users to all of the apps developed under his regime. That is a risky assumption. One of the Microsoft employees who developed thus celeb stalking app, has been quoted as saying the Nadella era is moving away from being Windows centric. You know, that cash cow set of operating systems isn't worthy of his prioritizations now. I think he has a crazy vision and dismisses any negative input about it.
    I certainly understand your side. I think maybe we here on WPCentral have a one-sided view though, thinking that Microsoft apps should remain exclusive to give us an advantage over non-WP users. For the record, I use WP and Android side-by-side, so I'm more in the middle. The ones that call the shots at Microsoft are professionals, and they hold their positions for a reason. I'm sure they don't take any of these decisions lightly, and that they do what they feel is best overall for the company. We need to leave our passion for the WP platform out of it. It's easy for us to say that they should continue to subsidize WP and it'll eventually take off, but we don't have to answer to shareholders and upper management. We also are overwhelmed by the billions in profit, thinking that a small portion of that being used to keep WP afloat should be no problem.

And for the record, where has being Windows, or WP, centric gotten Microsoft so far? WP sales are falling. Maybe Microsoft is focusing on other platforms with the goal of eventually having a must-use ecosystem on iOS & Android. If down the road they decide the drop WP, the effects would be minimal. It's hard to think about, but it's in the realm of possibility.
    08-13-2014 08:13 AM
58 123