Hyperlapse video

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hyperlapse: Technology that can dramatically smooth motion in first-person videos | Next at Microsoft

IMHO, this would be a great addition to Photosynth apps, perhaps even as a stand-alone Lens app for Windows Phone as well. Heck, I'd approach Facebook to partner up and integrate this into Instagram with the stipulations:

- no charge for the technology
- it goes into all Instagram app clients
- the Instagram for Windows Phone gets full feature parity with iOS soon and keeps getting updated
- Instagram develops a Modern app - fully featured

win win?

Last edited:

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is why Microsoft can't have any joy. They release a research paper on how Hyperlapse is done using powerful workstations to render the final video and Instagram release a mobile phone app that does basically the same thing that will be in the hands of 200 million people. Does MS have any talented software engineers left?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
That's more a case of being unlucky than anything else. Obviously, instagram didn't copy it within days. Hyperlapse must have been in development when MS released the research. That's probably what caused instagram to release the app in a hurry on iOS even though their android counterpart wasn't ready yet.
Also, I'm sure people at MS research patent their tech first before releasing it to the public.
Unfortunately, ideas aren't patentable and reaching masses first is key.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's more a case of being unlucky than anything else. Obviously, instagram didn't copy it within days. Hyperlapse must have been in development when MS released the research. That's probably what caused instagram to release the app in a hurry on iOS even though their android counterpart wasn't ready yet.
Also, I'm sure people at MS research patent their tech first before releasing it to the public.

You realize there is a HUGE difference in doing hyperlapse on a mobile phone compared to a powerful PC? Also in having a mobile app released NOW on the most popular phone, while MS app is nowhere in sight?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
You realize there is a HUGE difference in doing hyperlapse on a mobile phone compared to a powerful PC? Also in having a mobile app released NOW on the most popular phone, while MS app is nowhere in sight?

There is. And quality of their engineers is evident from the basic of apps like music, video, games, calendar, lock screen beta, internet explorer etc.

Plus MS has too much on its plates for us to worry about competing with some app published by the likes of instagram.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The 2 apps have nothing to do. Microsoft research said they would release it on windows. Not wp. And they don't work in the same way at all. Instagram uses the gyro from the phone to cancel movement, and msft uses powerful algorithms to regenerate a 3d movement, a bit like photosynth.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I would rather have a post video edit option like Microsoft as I'm not crazy about having to take pictures or videos in apps other than the camera app. So if Microsoft could release a post shot hyperlapse app on windows phone that'd be sweet.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

When Instagram was asked about applications for Android and Windows Phone, they said that that Android didn't have some low level APIs that gave access to parts of the gyroscope, and when asked about Windows Phone they said that they didn't have any immediate plans.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
When Instagram was asked about applications for Android and Windows Phone, they said that that Android didn't have some low level APIs that gave access to parts of the gyroscope, and when asked about Windows Phone they said that they didn't have any immediate plans.

Yes, I know that. Android is an important market for most developers, even more so for established ones like instagram. I'm sure they will obtain the necessary APIs with Android being open and all. My point was that they would have released it on both platforms side by side. But because MS published a similar idea, they just hurried on to publish it just to get there first. I made an assumption of course but that is just me.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I know that. Android is an important market for most developers, even more so for established ones like instagram. I'm sure they will obtain the necessary APIs with Android being open and all. My point was that they would have released it on both platforms side by side. But because MS published a similar idea, they just hurried on to publish it just to get there first. I made an assumption of course but that is just me.

No matter how open Android is, if an API isn't there Instagram will have to figure out workarounds.

Android L will get some much needed improvements in the camera UI in both speed and functionality, but considering that not a whole lot of Android devices will get Android L Instagram is going to have to figure how a way to back port it.

On a sidenote though the camera API improvements in Android L are so awesome that Google is boasting a new burst mode that allows continuous 8 MP bursts a 30 FPS, with devices that have the required hardware.

I'm pretty sure Android will get Hyperlapse soon, I hope Windows Phone gets it too.

Btw could someone tell me whether Instagram Hyperlapse records in 720p or 1080p?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
No matter how open Android is, if an API isn't there Instagram will have to figure out workarounds.

Android L will get some much needed improvements in the camera UI in both speed and functionality, but considering that not a whole lot of Android devices will get Android L Instagram is going to have to figure how a way to back port it.

On a sidenote though the camera API improvements in Android L are so awesome that Google is boasting a new burst mode that allows continuous 8 MP bursts a 30 FPS, with devices that have the required hardware.

I'm sure they can work it out with google. Tbh, I was surprised that the necessary APIs were available for iOS and not for Android. Never thought I'd see this day.

I see you're pretty excited about Android L. Good for you and android fans. Let the creativity flourish. :)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure they can work it out with google. Tbh, I was surprised that the necessary APIs were available for iOS and not for Android. Never thought I'd see this day.

I see you're pretty excited about Android L. Good for you and android fans. Let the creativity flourish. :)

What surprises me is that one of the main selling points of Windows Phone is photography and I believe that Windows Phone probably has the necessary APIs, it's just that the Instagram developers don't want to port it to Windows Phone before Android. :/

"Officially" they haven't said that Windows Phone doesn't have the necessary APIs, they just said that they aren't working on an app for Windows Phone just yet and have not indicated any plans to do so.

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2014...on-despite-low-level-apis-available-platform/

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
What surprises me is that one of the main selling points of Windows Phone is photography and I believe that Windows Phone probably has the necessary APIs, it's just that the Instagram developers don't want to port it to Windows Phone before Android. :/

"Officially" they haven't said that Windows Phone doesn't have the necessary APIs, they just said that they aren't working on an app for Windows Phone just yet and have not indicated any plans to do so.

http://thenextweb.com/facebook/2014...on-despite-low-level-apis-available-platform/

Thanks for the link, man.

This is what saddens me. It is sad to have no official support for popular photography-videography-oriented-social-networking-apps on a platform which is known for its camera strengths.

Although, I think it maybe because of Facebook policies. I read sometime ago(though I can't provide a link for it) that Facebook asked its employees to use android and considering the efforts they made in the past for a Facebook phone, it is clear that anything other than android is pretty low on their priority list. I believe they would have ignored iOS as well if it weren't for iOS's strength in US.

About their plans for windows phone, I'm not particularly optimistic. Right now I'm more focused on core improvements in windows phone OS and threshold and how market stands for windows phone in a year on two. Let's hope that they are still there at the end of day.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link, man.

This is what saddens me. It is sad to have no official support for popular photography-videography-oriented-social-networking-apps on a platform which is known for its camera strengths.

Although, I think it maybe because of Facebook policies. I read sometime ago(though I can't provide a link for it) that Facebook asked its employees to use android and considering the efforts they made in the past for a Facebook phone, it is clear that anything other than android is pretty low on their priority list. I believe they would have ignored iOS as well if it weren't for iOS's strength in US.

About their plans for windows phone, I'm not particularly optimistic. Right now I'm more focused on core improvements in windows phone OS and threshold and how market stands for windows phone in a year on two. Let's hope that they are still there at the end of day.

We'll what your saying does hold some truth in it, they massively improved the Facebook experience on Android last year. However there excitement soon died, as soon as their Facebook phone and Facebook Home Launcher we're both highly unsuccessful on Android.

Since then they have probably switched their attention to iOS, have you seen how amazing the Facebook Paper app is on iOS?

Since the time they've started focusing more on iOS, the Facebook app for Android has fallen tremendously and it stutters while scrolling every now and then. It took a pretty long time for Android to get the new Instagram makeover.

As far as Windows Phone goes, Hyperlapse is very far away sadly, they still haven't managed to update the Instagram application. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo