MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

I meant on physical phones. You don't lose any screen space because its minimal to begin with

that would be on blackberry phones only then.

the windows phone with hardware keyboards were all sliders.

later

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

that would be on blackberry phones only then.

the windows phone with hardware keyboards were all sliders.

later

True. However the Nokia N97 had an atrocious KB and I cannot stand phys kbs anymore so...personal pref. And all that

anon(8780439)

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site

It'll be the doom of us all
The phones are already thick mate

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

I don't really understand the need for a keyboard anymore. Swiping is way better than typing. Shape writing has held the world record. However since we are people and we despise change, there should be a windows phone with a keyboard. We should have Blackberry as an OEM.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

When MS can go ahead with releasing the terrible pseudo-android X series... I don't see why they can't have a couple of phones with sliding physical keyboards. If anything, it'll increase the market share by making it easier for older generations to use it & also since it'll be a bit different for the fixed box type design, could be helpful in wooing more people over to WP.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I don't really understand the need for a keyboard anymore.

speed doesn't matter.

accuracy does.

with a hardware keyboard, i can type more accurately than anybody i know with a touchscreen.
and i can type longer, with less mistakes, and not have any issues with people trying to understand my texts.

swiping is useless, unless you know what you are doing. i tried it once, and it was terrible. it was very hard
to do words with double letters in them, and was constantly reading the wrong letters. maybe with some
practice it might be ok. but why should i have to learn yet another way to type, when the older ways work
fine, and are easily useable on any keyboard that is QWERTY.

there's a reason every computer in the world has keyboards on them. if you do a lot of texting,
or have longer replies than a few letters. you need a real hardware keyboard, and not a touchscreen
which obscures your view of the screen.

later

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I actually do see your point, I have a laptop and Surface Pro, I use the laptop for most work style usage, actually using it to type this, I tend to use the Surface for more leisure style activities so viewing, listening, playing games etc.

However I am sold on swiping, and double letters are easy, I tend to slow or almost stop on double letters and let the software sort it out, the suggestions from the software are very accurate.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

And to prove the point this is swiped on my 1520 and I will see how many double letter words I can get in spotted popped topped bottom, I could go on.

And I am not an expert, I have so far sent about 10 swiped texts, this is my second forum entry using it and I have demonstrated it to a few mates (Who have all been impressed by it and the speed).

Bob

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Problem what I have with swipe is that I use two languages, about 50/50. At least when it came out it wasnt working for a user like me.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

A Blackberry Q10 user here. My Q10 was produced in May 2013, no double type so far.

I also consider myself to be a Microsoft fan, and I own multiple Windows 8.1 computers and a Windows tablet, and I rely on Microsoft office, outlook, and Onedrive everyday. Logically, I also wanted to get a Windows phone, but couldn't because no Windows flagship has a physical keyboard and a user replaceable battery. One thing I learned from owning various mobile electronics is that the current rechargeable lithium batteries still have a long way to go, and they are usually the first ones to fail if you own a phone longer than a year, so the lack of user replaceable battery in a Windows flagship was an immediate turn off.

Then there is the physical keyboard, it is absolutely essential in a phone for me. Here is why.

1) If you spend long enough learning the physical keyboard, you could actually type without looking on the keyboard. This also means that I can type when I walk, or when I am talking to other people. My fingers can do their own work, and I don't have to look at the phone when I type. This does not come over night, so you would not get this point if you are just trying a physical keyboard phone at a store.

2) Shortcut keys. The OS has to optimize this, but since the keys are always available, the user can use the keys as shortcut functions in apps and in the main screen. Actually improves the user efficiency quite a bit here.

3) Accuracy. Typing is not all about speed. Even though the touch screen can be faster for some people. Touch screen also creates more errors, and that means people have to go back to the paragraph and fix errors every couple sentences, whereas people with physical keyboard might be negligibly slower when they first type, but they do not have to go back and fix error. And Swype can only go so far, because we actually use a lot of words (brandnames, slangs, person names, town name, etc) that are not actually in the dictionary to be predicted by the software.

All in all, unless there is a Windows phone with a physical keyboard and a removable battery, or at least one of the two. I unfortunately do not see myself ever considering a Windows phone, which is a damn shame because I am an ex Nokia Symbian user, and I would definitely like to try some Nokia phones.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

A Blackberry Q10 user here. My Q10 was produced in May 2013, no double type so far.

I also consider myself to be a Microsoft fan, and I own multiple Windows 8.1 computers and a Windows tablet, and I rely on Microsoft office, outlook, and Onedrive everyday. Logically, I also wanted to get a Windows phone, but couldn't because no Windows flagship has a physical keyboard and a user replaceable battery. One thing I learned from owning various mobile electronics is that the current rechargeable lithium batteries still have a long way to go, and they are usually the first ones to fail if you own a phone longer than a year, so the lack of user replaceable battery in a Windows flagship was an immediate turn off.

Then there is the physical keyboard, it is absolutely essential in a phone for me. Here is why.

1) If you spend long enough learning the physical keyboard, you could actually type without looking on the keyboard. This also means that I can type when I walk, or when I am talking to other people. My fingers can do their own work, and I don't have to look at the phone when I type. This does not come over night, so you would not get this point if you are just trying a physical keyboard phone at a store.

2) Shortcut keys. The OS has to optimize this, but since the keys are always available, the user can use the keys as shortcut functions in apps and in the main screen. Actually improves the user efficiency quite a bit here.

3) Accuracy. Typing is not all about speed. Even though the touch screen can be faster for some people. Touch screen also creates more errors, and that means people have to go back to the paragraph and fix errors every couple sentences, whereas people with physical keyboard might be negligibly slower when they first type, but they do not have to go back and fix error. And Swype can only go so far, because we actually use a lot of words (brandnames, slangs, person names, town name, etc) that are not actually in the dictionary to be predicted by the software.

All in all, unless there is a Windows phone with a physical keyboard and a removable battery, or at least one of the two. I unfortunately do not see myself ever considering a Windows phone, which is a damn shame because I am an ex Nokia Symbian user, and I would definitely like to try some Nokia phones.

Hey skstrails, I'm an ex Q10 user that just switched to Windows Phone because of the double typing issue. I agree with you on all points, except I never got good enough to type accurately while not looking at the display, maybe about as good as typing on an iPhone. I'm to the point that's it's break even for me between the Q10 keyboard and the modern virtual smart keyboards on BlackBerrys and Window Phones. Right now with BlackBerry struggling would be prime time to have a physical keyboard Windows Phone, especially if BlackBerry is stupid and migrates the double typing failure to their new Passport and Classic.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

One other big plus about LG optimus phone, besides the hardware keyboard.

It has a user replaceable battery. In fact, after the battery that came with it died. I was able to order another battery from amazon,
and also get another one from a battery store, and open up the back, and put the battery in myself.

gsmare10.jpg

Another reason NOT to switch to a windows 8 phone.

later

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre