MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

I just came over from BlackBerry because of the double typing issue on the Q10, and BlackBerry has still not dealt with the problem, or even acknowledged it. The question is; Has BlackBerry addressed this issue with the Classic & Passport? 6 + or- months down the road, will these keyboards fail too?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: MS needs to stop with this "business" nonsense and build a phone with a physical keyboard

I couldn't wait for the Venue Pro with a physical keyboard. Within a month, I never used it and was typing every bit as fast with the onscreen keyboard. I'll probably never go back.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This thread was created in 2008, right? Seriously though, the iPhone has had no trouble catching on with businesses. Windows Phone's lack of presence in the business world has nothing to do with the lack of a physical keyboard. Creating a phone with a physical keyboard would be a tremendous flop and a complete waste of resources for a platform that is already playing catch-up.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't think its absolutely necessary for most of the market, but I'm kinda sad how it seems everything stagnated into one form factor.
Like before, there was a lot more diversity! I liked the keyboard and slider in my Palm Pre, seeing those fancy stuff was nice.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't wait for the Venue Pro with a physical keyboard. Within a month, I never used it and was typing every bit as fast with the onscreen keyboard. I'll probably never go back.

I agree with you, the on screen keyboards have come a long way, and are in many ways better than the mechanical ones anymore. But, there will be some that will NEVER give up on a real keyboard. It's too bad about the double typing issue on the Q10, as I feel that it was the best BlackBerry I ever owned.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

i agree with the sentiment about keyboards,
which is why i still have and use the LG optimus
===================================
LG_Quantum_Windows_Phone_715.jpg

people think that keyboards are dead, and most companies would agree.

buts it an issue with the manufacturers and not necessarily a case of the consumer.

in fact there is still a demand, and not just from business or blackberry owners:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots Of People Really Want Slideout-Keyboard Phones: Where Are They? - Slashdot

granted, its a very small survey, but the number out there is still more than > 0.

i'm not switching to windows 8 phone, until there is an alternative.

i'm perfectly happy with sticking with this one for several years if i have to.
they are cheap, reliable, and give me a much better keyboard, text entry experience
than any touch interface will.

it's a minority opinion of course. but there are many phones that cater to other niche
minorities, and they can still make them.

you can have a windows phone, and one with a hardware keyboard.

they are not mutually exclusive ideas.

later

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I really can't type with a physical keyboard anymore. Even the new blackberries. It feels unnatural for me

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

The "double-typing" issue was solved and phones made after about May of 2013 do not exhibit this behavior.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

The "double-typing" issue was solved and phones made after about May of 2013 do not exhibit this behavior.

There were a couple of posts of people having double typing with production dates of June 2013, and the 2 posters on the current page that have May 2013 production dates have only owned their phones 1 month and 5 months, someone had said it takes about an average of 6 months for the double typing to develop, that's just about what it took for mine. People keep showing up with the double typing issue, some with multiple replacement devices and/ or keyboards doing it, I would think some of those would be current production runs. Everything is speculation until BlackBerry addresses the issue.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I used Nokia Symbian and BlackBerry devices previously and always thought I liked physical keypads. However, I wouldn't use one anymore. I type faster with a virtual keypad, and I wouldn't want to use a tiny screen that goes along with devices that have physical keypads.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I used Nokia Symbian and BlackBerry devices previously and always thought I liked physical keypads. However, I wouldn't use one anymore. I type faster with a virtual keypad, and I wouldn't want to use a tiny screen that goes along with devices that have physical keypads.

you realize you lose a lot of screen area with the virtual keyboard.

i dont lose any on mine, and i can type more accurately and faster than most people
with an onscreen keyboard, where your fingers cover the screen while typing.

later

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

you realize you lose a lot of screen area with the virtual keyboard.

i dont lose any on mine, and i can type more accurately and faster than most people
with an onscreen keyboard, where your fingers cover the screen while typing.

later

You don't lose any because its small to begin with. That's the point.
And besides, what about when we're not typing? Also, I cant handle Phys KBs anymore. Tried to send a text via Blackberry, the keys were a bit too annoying and unresponsive

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

As a person such as myself who have used most major platforms, I must say that I miss my keyboard on my BB Curve; lightning fast typing. :)

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

You don't lose any because its small to begin with. That's the point.
And besides, what about when we're not typing? Also, I cant handle Phys KBs anymore. Tried to send a text via Blackberry, the keys were a bit too annoying and unresponsive

you lose a lot of space when typing onscreen.

Messaging_5F00_autoSuggestion_5F00_534DE8C2.png

i can see the entire screen on my phone, because it doesn't take up any space.

and if it was a web page, i can see the page, and not block it with my fingers.

later

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

you lose a lot of space when typing onscreen.

View attachment 76460

i can see the entire screen on my phone, because it doesn't take up any space.

and if it was a web page, i can see the page, and not block it with my fingers.

later
I meant on physical phones. You don't lose any screen space because its minimal to begin with

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

I respect that we each have our preferences. I have no desire for a physical keyboard. Why type every single character on a physical keyboard when the default WP8 keyboard is so good. I rarely type more than 2 characters, as the world suggestion nails down predicting 98% of the words in my sentence. In many instances, I can even form entire sentences by just tapping on the suggested words after my first word. I love it!

Typing out every character can be a challenging habit to break. My brother is always rapidly typing out full words on his 920, and I'm always like, "dude, you don't need to do that."

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

swipe might be good for some people.

but it's hardly a solution for mistyping words, and still takes up space on the screen.

you all seem to be missing the point, that a physical keyboard allows you to get access
to all the screen.

and yes, if i don't open the keyboard, i can still get an onscreen touch keyboard (which i never use).

it shows up in both portrait and landscape mode too.

i'll take more accurate typing any day, over some new type of keyboard.

Also, i have easy access to all the symbols, foreign letters, and other nonstandard ones
a lot quicker than going through several touch menus.

later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb