The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-13-2015 05:44 PM
119 1234 ...
tools
    Myself personally. I want a high end phone. Period. I don't want low end regardless of how 'good' the OS runs on low end hardware. I only buy one phone every two years, if that. The way the OS upgrades have been going I rather have something that I could hopefully use for those two years.

I don't see a reason why they can't bring out (excluding the dreaded carrier specific phones) 5 phones that should be able to cover most areas. I don't think having so much choice is a good thing and it's confusing for most consumers. This is why the iPhone sells well and why Samsung dominates Android.

I think that number convention should go too but that's a whole other discussion.

So to finish, no flagship, no good looking phone, I'm gone. Simple. Just to note, I've seen the L930, held, looked at it, didn't do much for me. Tech is too old as well.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 08-14-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: small grammar correction
    08-14-2014 05:39 AM
    I'm someone who asks for a powerful mid-range effort from Nokia. So, I'll continue to stay.

My problem is that the lack of hyped flagship halo releases will in turn be something that implies lack of confidence in the platform.

Aye, let there be a great flagship. And the halo effect should be great.
    08-14-2014 05:49 AM
    To date, I haven't seen a single reason for me to even consider buying a high end phone, when every OS choice, be it iOS, Android or Windows Phone 8.1, is still extremely severely lacking in far too many important ways.
    08-14-2014 06:01 AM
    No I won't, unless there is at least one high end flagship yearly. I stick to a phone for 2 years typically, but I won't bother with low/mid-range phone. Just got a 930 so I'm set for 2 years again :D
    08-14-2014 06:54 AM
    Why do we always entertain the people asking this asinine questions?
    k72 likes this.
    08-14-2014 08:28 AM
    It's a serious question, not trolling.

When did Microsoft enter the high end market? There are few WP devices that we could call high end (price, size, some features). But in terms of experience, OS, Apps, Market, Ecosystem as a whole it's not in the high-end.

If the question is "If Microsoft stops attempting to enter the high end market...will you stay?", in that case the answer for me is no because i need (not want but need) a device that has power, big screen and advanced functions. If they come up with a good high-end phone (a real one all over i mean) then i am in. Otherwise my WP experience ends with my 1520.
    Tom Snyder likes this.
    08-14-2014 09:38 AM
    I am too heavily invested in Microsoft to just quit =(
    08-14-2014 09:43 AM
    so this is how weed legalized feels like?
    08-14-2014 10:30 AM
    Because it continues to be a legit question to ask and conversation to have.
    08-14-2014 10:41 AM
    To date, I haven't seen a single reason for me to even consider buying a high end phone, when every OS choice, be it iOS, Android or Windows Phone 8.1, is still extremely severely lacking in far too many important ways.
    so what do you use? which one fits your need the best. that's what you should be replying to,
    not what you don't want.

later
    08-14-2014 10:50 AM
    so what do you use? which one fits your need the best. that's what you should be replying to,
    not what you don't want.

later
    They're probably doing what I'm doing. Waiting to see what comes out and if it's worth getting something new. Currently sticking with what I have. I use both WP and Android simply because WP doesn't have the apps I wanted and nothing has come out new in WP that I want.

Would be interesting to know what this person finds lacking though. Spec wise.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    08-14-2014 10:54 AM
    Because it continues to be a legit question to ask and conversation to have.
    Lots of people don't like to discuss 'what ifs'. They see it as pointless. For people like me, I sit at the crossroads now and I wait. Nothing is really out there that I want from MS, Android and I have no interest in Apple.

So it's a valid question for me.
    08-14-2014 10:55 AM
    If the 830 turns out everything it is rumored to be then I think things will be fine with the current version of 930 and the W8. I became a big WP proponent because of the price to performance ratio. The closest thing in the other OS worlds is the Moto G in Android, iOS does not even want to compete in this area. I think a solid mid-range is what MSFT needs to get the number of users up while providing a high end device performance. Once the numbers move in the right direction, more apps, more apps = better ecosystem = mover developers = more apps = more users and so on, the vicious cycle will repeat itself so that WP becomes a true competitor to Android. In my mind there is only one direction iOS can go long term and that is down. They have peaked.
    08-14-2014 11:15 AM
    The fact that wp will run nicely on lower/not newest generation internals I dont see the need for quadro octa monster core phones, which to me seems only relevant for marketing reasons.. I would prefer if microsoft focused their efforts on the ecosystem (and camera!!!)

1020 owner, DATED hardware but the OS and apps still runs along nicely. However, at the moments its sent back for repairs so I'm borrowing an iphone, from an app point of view its a totally different quality experience. Camera wise - hands down, the 5S doesnt stand a chance.. But when it comes to the apps experience, I can hardly believe how much the facebook app sucks compared to the iphone one, and thats just one example of many.. Twitter, youtube, 500px, onedrive (???) - even wpcentral.. And I could go on.

I had a galaxy s4 before getting my 1020, appwise its the same story.

I'm wondering if this is due to the development tools currently available are subpar when compared to android and ios?

Worry about flagships and cores when the time comes, right now attention should be spent on the ecosystem which (to me anyway) is much more important to grasp the market.

Still cant wait to get back to my 1020 though :D
    Last edited by rQvsnaps; 08-14-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    08-14-2014 12:08 PM
    I was just about to start a thread called "If Microsoft start making lawn mowers, would you buy one", I was also thinking about calling it official.

Or maybe there was a news announcement we all we all missed where MS actually stated they were clearing out of the high end phone market.

Bob
    08-14-2014 12:46 PM
    I'm not leaving as long as they're in the wp business. And msft leaving wp right now is like Kim Kardashian becoming a nun.
    08-14-2014 02:00 PM
    I'd probably leave WP because I like to invest in premium features. I know WP can handle low-end hardware perfectly well, but I want things such as a larger screen, Glance, 1080P, PureView/ZEISS lenses and additional RAM that only high-end (and some mid-range) phones can give me.

I feel like this should be in Phone Wars though.
    08-14-2014 03:09 PM
    I think one high-end a year is more than enough for Microsoft to stay relevant. However, they need 5-6 low-end or mid-range hits each year in order to get those numbers. Currently, WP needs numbers for developers to find it more appealing. More the users, more devs. More devs, means more apps. More apps, more matured and appealing WP looks. More matured and appealing the platform looks, when the "high-end" or flagship or hero device is launched, more users will want to grab it!
    I agree, but what is the one high-end device in 2014, if you're on Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T? The Icon's Verizon-only, and the 1520 is too large for many consumers. Right now, the devices smaller that the 1520 AT&T carries run on the 2012/Galaxy S III SoC, the same thing that the 920 (which I want to upgrade from) is rolling with.

Even if the 930 comes to AT&T, it's a tough sell. You lose Glance, right? I'll also lose wireless charging, unless they miraculously released a PMA version on AT&T. I'm not sure that the speed improvements make up for the feature deficiencies.

Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?
    There is definitely a point to it. The great camera looks less great when you stick it behind a 720p display to view pictures. There's the general perception of the brand, if it doesn't offer feature-rich devices. While the 8xx line works just fine for almost every user, just hearing that Microsoft doesn't offer the best devices makes it harder to accept the brand.
    tgp and steve_w_7 like this.
    08-14-2014 03:30 PM
    Whether or not Microsoft would exit the mobile phone market was never speculated upon. It does, though, appear that Microsoft will concede the high end market to iPhone and Android (Samsung) for 4Q 2014.
    Actually, I feel 2014 is ending up as a "do-over" year for WP. I feel you may be correct in that there will not be a top end MS branded WP released. There will obviously be the HTC offering (I am done with HTC, but I wish it success), and there was a rumor of a tope end ZTE (of all things) Nubia W5 with quad core snapdragon 801 and a 1080P screen. But I haven't heard anything since around April, only that it was a likely fall release and that ZTE was hopeful to get it released here in the US. Throw in the MS/Nokia/Lumia/Whatever it is called this week 830 rumor, there should be some decent choices this year to keep WP's head above water until Microsoft and other OEMs get it in high gear in 2015.

*crosses fingers*
    08-14-2014 04:09 PM
    No. I went with the 920 to begin with because I wanted the best flagship model. That to me meant going with the Nokia (even though I really liked to style of the htc 8x) The camera is the most important feature for me, want to PureView top end model. I'm only considering upgrading (1020, 930... or better) for better camera specs, more mp's, better sensor, Zeiss optics...
    I like my Windows Phone and really can't see switching to android, I'd be miserable if it came to that, but I'm not downgrading to a low end device. I recently checked out the LG G3, and it really looks nice, even the fire phone, but they're on android. I just wish/hope that Microsoft takes some clues from these and could make a true great flagship.
    08-14-2014 04:14 PM
    For how long the 920 kept me satisfied (nov2012 to aug2013) I could probably wait for them to have the time to make a real hero device.

I went to 930 because I have a problem. I can't stick with the same phone for so long. :D Otherwise the 920 was just fine and it never changed... well it got better with each update.

Now with windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1.... things are getting tied together more nicely and it's going to be a real good thing.
    08-14-2014 04:15 PM
    I bought the 1020 because of it's camera. I have the grip, the wireless mount, everything. Wanna know how many times I used the grip? Two. I also own a semi-professional camera and It's nearly almost on the case. So one could say I don't care enough about picture as I thought I would, and that would be right. Darn, I even switched the camera app that pops with the solid button for the microsoft one, because the one that came with the Lumia (where you control every aspect of the camera) took too long to load.

That said, I'm stading in a very hard position here.

a) Do I need to replace my phone at the end of the year, after 18 months of use? No, 1020 is still kicking REALLY well and fast, not dead slow like my old Galaxy S2 after a year or crashing as my old iPhone 4 after a year .
    b) I don't have a contract because I bought it used on eBAY from a guy who got a job on google, so had to sell his WP.
    c) Don't care/use a lot of the camera

I will stay. Period. My wife LOVES iPhone... I had one and I think its a cool toy, but it's too artificial, you can't do anything with the phone. For me WP is a mixed breed between that and Android (where you have SO many configs that the ecosystem ended up too poluted). I don't fancy iOS nor Android.

Now looking on the WP devices... I never bothered to look around and I know that, RIGHT NOW, if I wanted a high-end device I would have to choose between 930 or 1520... Never saw those in person.

So why I didn't consider getting neither? Because of the hype. I got into the 1020 (I was already inside WP) because of the hype. After getting it, I started to look around for it's sucessor and I saw 930 and 1520 as kind of "meh"... And I think the general public felt like me too.

I will stay inside WP but I don't think I'm getting a new phone this year, unless my 1020 decides to die. I sold my Mac when I got my first WP because I loved it so much. Now I own a Lenovo x220. I also sold my PS3 and got a Xbox One. So I'm deep into MS environment. I've bought Office 350 and Skype Premium as well.

My only regret? Getting a black 1020, not the yellow one.

Do I need all those killer specs of a high-end? No, I don't. I think a 830 would be more than enough for me... I only use whatsapp, facebook, instagram, e-mail, waze, GPS, Cortana and Onedrive. But I want a high-end... I like to know I have the most powerful tool on my pocket.
    Alexis-1991 and Guytronic like this.
    08-14-2014 04:20 PM
    Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?
    This is true, I just cannot wrap around the reason why most people want super high end spec phones; Not to be rude in anyway, people who own a high spec phone are probably not using but 1/4 of the phones capabilities.
    Guytronic and k72 like this.
    08-14-2014 05:39 PM
    If MS abandons the high end, I'll definitely by switching back to android. Since my cellular provider (Sprint) doesn't carry, nor plan on carrying any high end devices, I might have to go that route anyways.

As much as I enjoy WP, I don't really think not lagging on the start screen is a good indicator of how well it performs and limiting it to garbage hardware only limits the OS as a whole.
    08-14-2014 08:58 PM
    The first question that needs to get answered is "what exactly is high-end"? WP already has the best smartphone camera so that's not it. The Ativ SE has killer specs and quality to boot so it's not about the numbers. Nokia, HTC and Samsung make top-notch devices with unrivaled build quality in their respective price ranges so it's not as if WP is associated with a great OS on crap hardware as was the case with webOS.

If octa-cores, 3 gig RAM and 64-bit architecture is the definition of "high end", go straight to Android or iPhone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I say improve the OS with some more minor tweaks, put on a full-court press ad campaign and get the devs on board. Hardware is not the issue folks.
    Guytronic, tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-14-2014 09:20 PM
119 1234 ...