If Microsoft Exits the High-End Phone Market, Will You Stay?

bryanibuan

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?

I own a 520 and a 920, I can say that there is indeed a difference. Both in the quality of hardware, and performance (software side). 920 has spoiled me that web browsing and opening third-party apps have been painful when I use 520.

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it, but nope!
I'm with AT&T and my 920 will be two years old in November. If AT&T doesn't have a decent 920 replacement by them I'm jumping ship. I'd be happy with the 930 but I don't think AT&T will ever pick it up.

I'm not getting a iPhone and I can't say I'm in love with any of the Android phones presently out there.

​Sucks....

I am in the same boat and I'm a resounding no. I'm probably the last guy Microsoft wants abandoning their platform considering I have 2x 920s, 1x 1020 (wife), 5 Windows 8 PCs/tablets and 2 XBox Ones in my house. I adopted the ecosystem soup to nuts. My contract also expires with AT&T in November and as it stands now, I have no options as jumping to Verizon isn't an issue with my work service discount.

My local AT&T store only has the 925, 1020 and the 1520 available and I don't want a large phone. My 920 has been the first phone I've had that has also held up the entire two years as the build quality was fantastic.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Considering how happy I am with my Lumia 635, and how much I'm looking forward to the Lumia 730, the answer is yes...I will stay. I've been buying low end and mid-range smart phones for a while now, and the experience with low end and mid-range WP has been great for me. I only have around 60 apps, and only watch movies on my phone occasionally, so I personally don't need the latest and greatest. If I want to watch a movie in the best resolution, or want to spend a prolonged time consuming media content, I have a Surface Pro 2 tablet and a High Def 65 inch screen TV with a computer hooked up to it. Both devices are far better for media consumption and movie watching than any smartphone will ever be.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
As a L520 owner, I don't think it directly affects me, though indirect repercussions of such an action, such as losing market share would mean lesser apps & stuff, so I guess I'd have to move on, unless of course the low end segment is able to compensate for that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Myself personally. I want a high end phone. Period. I don't want low end regardless of how 'good' the OS runs on low end hardware. I only buy one phone every two years, if that. The way the OS upgrades have been going I rather have something that I could hopefully use for those two years.

I don't see a reason why they can't bring out (excluding the dreaded carrier specific phones) 5 phones that should be able to cover most areas. I don't think having so much choice is a good thing and it's confusing for most consumers. This is why the iPhone sells well and why Samsung dominates Android.

I think that number convention should go too but that's a whole other discussion.

So to finish, no flagship, no good looking phone, I'm gone. Simple. Just to note, I've seen the L930, held, looked at it, didn't do much for me. Tech is too old as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm someone who asks for a powerful mid-range effort from Nokia. So, I'll continue to stay.

My problem is that the lack of hyped flagship halo releases will in turn be something that implies lack of confidence in the platform.

Aye, let there be a great flagship. And the halo effect should be great.

coldmail-inlook

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
To date, I haven't seen a single reason for me to even consider buying a high end phone, when every OS choice, be it iOS, Android or Windows Phone 8.1, is still extremely severely lacking in far too many important ways.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
No I won't, unless there is at least one high end flagship yearly. I stick to a phone for 2 years typically, but I won't bother with low/mid-range phone. Just got a 930 so I'm set for 2 years again :D

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
It's a serious question, not trolling.

When did Microsoft enter the high end market? There are few WP devices that we could call high end (price, size, some features). But in terms of experience, OS, Apps, Market, Ecosystem as a whole it's not in the high-end.

If the question is "If Microsoft stops attempting to enter the high end market...will you stay?", in that case the answer for me is no because i need (not want but need) a device that has power, big screen and advanced functions. If they come up with a good high-end phone (a real one all over i mean) then i am in. Otherwise my WP experience ends with my 1520.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
To date, I haven't seen a single reason for me to even consider buying a high end phone, when every OS choice, be it iOS, Android or Windows Phone 8.1, is still extremely severely lacking in far too many important ways.

so what do you use? which one fits your need the best. that's what you should be replying to,
not what you don't want.

later

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
so what do you use? which one fits your need the best. that's what you should be replying to,
not what you don't want.

later

They're probably doing what I'm doing. Waiting to see what comes out and if it's worth getting something new. Currently sticking with what I have. I use both WP and Android simply because WP doesn't have the apps I wanted and nothing has come out new in WP that I want.

Would be interesting to know what this person finds lacking though. Spec wise.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Because it continues to be a legit question to ask and conversation to have.

Lots of people don't like to discuss 'what ifs'. They see it as pointless. For people like me, I sit at the crossroads now and I wait. Nothing is really out there that I want from MS, Android and I have no interest in Apple.

So it's a valid question for me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If the 830 turns out everything it is rumored to be then I think things will be fine with the current version of 930 and the W8. I became a big WP proponent because of the price to performance ratio. The closest thing in the other OS worlds is the Moto G in Android, iOS does not even want to compete in this area. I think a solid mid-range is what MSFT needs to get the number of users up while providing a high end device performance. Once the numbers move in the right direction, more apps, more apps = better ecosystem = mover developers = more apps = more users and so on, the vicious cycle will repeat itself so that WP becomes a true competitor to Android. In my mind there is only one direction iOS can go long term and that is down. They have peaked.

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The fact that wp will run nicely on lower/not newest generation internals I dont see the need for quadro octa monster core phones, which to me seems only relevant for marketing reasons.. I would prefer if microsoft focused their efforts on the ecosystem (and camera!!!)

1020 owner, DATED hardware but the OS and apps still runs along nicely. However, at the moments its sent back for repairs so I'm borrowing an iphone, from an app point of view its a totally different quality experience. Camera wise - hands down, the 5S doesnt stand a chance.. But when it comes to the apps experience, I can hardly believe how much the facebook app sucks compared to the iphone one, and thats just one example of many.. Twitter, youtube, 500px, onedrive (???) - even wpcentral.. And I could go on.

I had a galaxy s4 before getting my 1020, appwise its the same story.

I'm wondering if this is due to the development tools currently available are subpar when compared to android and ios?

Worry about flagships and cores when the time comes, right now attention should be spent on the ecosystem which (to me anyway) is much more important to grasp the market.

Still cant wait to get back to my 1020 though :D

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Why do we always entertain the people asking this asinine questions?

I was just about to start a thread called "If Microsoft start making lawn mowers, would you buy one", I was also thinking about calling it official.

Or maybe there was a news announcement we all we all missed where MS actually stated they were clearing out of the high end phone market.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05