If Microsoft Exits the High-End Phone Market, Will You Stay?

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'd probably leave WP because I like to invest in premium features. I know WP can handle low-end hardware perfectly well, but I want things such as a larger screen, Glance, 1080P, PureView/ZEISS lenses and additional RAM that only high-end (and some mid-range) phones can give me.

I feel like this should be in Phone Wars though.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think one high-end a year is more than enough for Microsoft to stay relevant. However, they need 5-6 low-end or mid-range hits each year in order to get those numbers. Currently, WP needs numbers for developers to find it more appealing. More the users, more devs. More devs, means more apps. More apps, more matured and appealing WP looks. More matured and appealing the platform looks, when the "high-end" or flagship or hero device is launched, more users will want to grab it!

I agree, but what is the one high-end device in 2014, if you're on Sprint, T-Mobile, or AT&T? The Icon's Verizon-only, and the 1520 is too large for many consumers. Right now, the devices smaller that the 1520 AT&T carries run on the 2012/Galaxy S III SoC, the same thing that the 920 (which I want to upgrade from) is rolling with.

Even if the 930 comes to AT&T, it's a tough sell. You lose Glance, right? I'll also lose wireless charging, unless they miraculously released a PMA version on AT&T. I'm not sure that the speed improvements make up for the feature deficiencies.

Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?

There is definitely a point to it. The great camera looks less great when you stick it behind a 720p display to view pictures. There's the general perception of the brand, if it doesn't offer feature-rich devices. While the 8xx line works just fine for almost every user, just hearing that Microsoft doesn't offer the best devices makes it harder to accept the brand.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Whether or not Microsoft would exit the mobile phone market was never speculated upon. It does, though, appear that Microsoft will concede the high end market to iPhone and Android (Samsung) for 4Q 2014.
Actually, I feel 2014 is ending up as a "do-over" year for WP. I feel you may be correct in that there will not be a top end MS branded WP released. There will obviously be the HTC offering (I am done with HTC, but I wish it success), and there was a rumor of a tope end ZTE (of all things) Nubia W5 with quad core snapdragon 801 and a 1080P screen. But I haven't heard anything since around April, only that it was a likely fall release and that ZTE was hopeful to get it released here in the US. Throw in the MS/Nokia/Lumia/Whatever it is called this week 830 rumor, there should be some decent choices this year to keep WP's head above water until Microsoft and other OEMs get it in high gear in 2015.

*crosses fingers*

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
No. I went with the 920 to begin with because I wanted the best flagship model. That to me meant going with the Nokia (even though I really liked to style of the htc 8x) The camera is the most important feature for me, want to PureView top end model. I'm only considering upgrading (1020, 930... or better) for better camera specs, more mp's, better sensor, Zeiss optics...
I like my Windows Phone and really can't see switching to android, I'd be miserable if it came to that, but I'm not downgrading to a low end device. I recently checked out the LG G3, and it really looks nice, even the fire phone, but they're on android. I just wish/hope that Microsoft takes some clues from these and could make a true great flagship.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For how long the 920 kept me satisfied (nov2012 to aug2013) I could probably wait for them to have the time to make a real hero device.

I went to 930 because I have a problem. I can't stick with the same phone for so long. :D Otherwise the 920 was just fine and it never changed... well it got better with each update.

Now with windows phone 8.1 and windows 8.1.... things are getting tied together more nicely and it's going to be a real good thing.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 1020 because of it's camera. I have the grip, the wireless mount, everything. Wanna know how many times I used the grip? Two. I also own a semi-professional camera and It's nearly almost on the case. So one could say I don't care enough about picture as I thought I would, and that would be right. Darn, I even switched the camera app that pops with the solid button for the microsoft one, because the one that came with the Lumia (where you control every aspect of the camera) took too long to load.

That said, I'm stading in a very hard position here.

a) Do I need to replace my phone at the end of the year, after 18 months of use? No, 1020 is still kicking REALLY well and fast, not dead slow like my old Galaxy S2 after a year or crashing as my old iPhone 4 after a year .
b) I don't have a contract because I bought it used on eBAY from a guy who got a job on google, so had to sell his WP.
c) Don't care/use a lot of the camera

I will stay. Period. My wife LOVES iPhone... I had one and I think its a cool toy, but it's too artificial, you can't do anything with the phone. For me WP is a mixed breed between that and Android (where you have SO many configs that the ecosystem ended up too poluted). I don't fancy iOS nor Android.

Now looking on the WP devices... I never bothered to look around and I know that, RIGHT NOW, if I wanted a high-end device I would have to choose between 930 or 1520... Never saw those in person.

So why I didn't consider getting neither? Because of the hype. I got into the 1020 (I was already inside WP) because of the hype. After getting it, I started to look around for it's sucessor and I saw 930 and 1520 as kind of "meh"... And I think the general public felt like me too.

I will stay inside WP but I don't think I'm getting a new phone this year, unless my 1020 decides to die. I sold my Mac when I got my first WP because I loved it so much. Now I own a Lenovo x220. I also sold my PS3 and got a Xbox One. So I'm deep into MS environment. I've bought Office 350 and Skype Premium as well.

My only regret? Getting a black 1020, not the yellow one.

Do I need all those killer specs of a high-end? No, I don't. I think a 830 would be more than enough for me... I only use whatsapp, facebook, instagram, e-mail, waze, GPS, Cortana and Onedrive. But I want a high-end... I like to know I have the most powerful tool on my pocket.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?

This is true, I just cannot wrap around the reason why most people want super high end spec phones; Not to be rude in anyway, people who own a high spec phone are probably not using but 1/4 of the phones capabilities.

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If MS abandons the high end, I'll definitely by switching back to android. Since my cellular provider (Sprint) doesn't carry, nor plan on carrying any high end devices, I might have to go that route anyways.

As much as I enjoy WP, I don't really think not lagging on the start screen is a good indicator of how well it performs and limiting it to garbage hardware only limits the OS as a whole.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The first question that needs to get answered is "what exactly is high-end"? WP already has the best smartphone camera so that's not it. The Ativ SE has killer specs and quality to boot so it's not about the numbers. Nokia, HTC and Samsung make top-notch devices with unrivaled build quality in their respective price ranges so it's not as if WP is associated with a great OS on crap hardware as was the case with webOS.

If octa-cores, 3 gig RAM and 64-bit architecture is the definition of "high end", go straight to Android or iPhone. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I say improve the OS with some more minor tweaks, put on a full-court press ad campaign and get the devs on board. Hardware is not the issue folks.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat and I'm a resounding no. I'm probably the last guy Microsoft wants abandoning their platform considering I have 2x 920s, 1x 1020 (wife), 5 Windows 8 PCs/tablets and 2 XBox Ones in my house. I adopted the ecosystem soup to nuts. My contract also expires with AT&T in November and as it stands now, I have no options as jumping to Verizon isn't an issue with my work service discount.

My local AT&T store only has the 925, 1020 and the 1520 available and I don't want a large phone. My 920 has been the first phone I've had that has also held up the entire two years as the build quality was fantastic.

I'm in an even worse boat - have the L920, but no 1520 or 930 in Canada, and I doubt the W8 will launch here. As far as I'm concerned MSFT has already abandoned the high end up here. I just hope there is a 935 global in the works, or I may have to go online for an unlocked version of something...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd stay no problem...
Frankly I honestly believe low end-low cost is the key for the Windows phone.

I see people I know with cracked screens,dents and dings on very expensive well used phones.
They refuse to buy another as long as the current damage doesn't get in the way.

Dropping and stepping on any low end WP would certainly be a bummer, yet wouldn't lead to heartbreak for me.
Why spend 5-6 bills for one diamond when we can have three zirconium's for the same price?

I'm anxious to see those 730-830's bust out...

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
With Android holding 85% of the market it's kind of hard to ignore it. But I am happy with WP 8. My wife has a 925 and I use a 820. I consider them both upper mid range. The new 830 sounds interesting and if that's the best they come out with I could live with that. My two tablets are Android so if I had too (don't want too) I could move to a Android smartphone with no problem. This next year will decide Microsoft's fate in the smartphone wars. Can't do much worst than Apple who had a major chunk of the market and is now down to less than 12%.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
You have a good point. I would say over a third of the phones I see are damaged pretty bad.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't care if they hitting the low end or mid or even the high end market. As long as they provide a phone for everyone's wallet they are on the right track. If a phone of 200$ does the same as a 700$ phone i go for the 200, i choose for my wallet and not filling the pockets of MS because they are doing so " poorly" on the phone market.
Don't care if there share isn't that big, they make more money in a month than the most people in a year.
I like the 6 inchers so i don't have a lot of options ;)
If my lumie dies on me and the 6" aren't available anymore I probably would go for a used one.
High end or not, even the low end are darn good and trustworthy sets so why should i be a thief of my own wallet.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope, unfortunately ill have to go back to android or apple. I just came back from an iPhone 5S, while a beautifully built phone and solid OS, I can't do the lack of personality and pure snore design. Android is a better option, more hardware choices which I like...really digging the G3, tested a demo, slick phone.

But, I do love my WP...HTC W8 looks very tempting.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the question for me is no. There won't be a point in staying for me. If I wanted a budget phone, I wouldn't be on AT&T. I would be on Boost Mobile or something.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm already jumping out personally. Just want a OS where I don't need to wait for updates or apps to arrive. Sick of it all by now.

​It looks like Nokia jumped ship and left the handset business to MS just in time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium