If Microsoft Exits the High-End Phone Market, Will You Stay?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Which boundaries are you looking to push? Aside from the camera, WP does not offer bleeding edge technology on the hardware side.

My thoughts exactly. Most of the boundaries Microsoft pushes are their boundaries only.

Bob, I have AT&T, so I could get the 1520. Unfortunately, it's too big for me. The Icon or 930 would be the perfect size, but AT&T doesn't have either.

You are in the same predicament as a lot of other 920 users, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that! It's soon time for an upgrade, but there are no good replacements on AT&T. I'm afraid that WP will lose some AT&T users this winter because of this. And then there's the (finally) larger iPhone 6, LG G3, and the Note 4. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6 will even pull in some Android users.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. Most of the boundaries Microsoft pushes are their boundaries only.

You are in the same predicament as a lot of other 920 users, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that! It's soon time for an upgrade, but there are no good replacements on AT&T. I'm afraid that WP will lose some AT&T users this winter because of this. And then there's the (finally) larger iPhone 6, LG G3, and the Note 4. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 6 will even pull in some Android users.

If 920 users stay with it because the 1520 is too big, why would they go for a G3 or a Note 4?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't realize that more computing power, better displays, etc. require more power and more efficient heat dissipation. There is a price to be paid for all this and it comes at the expense of size, materials and price. Always remember, nature's a mother - you don't get something for nothing.
Is this the boat you're backing really?

Display tech is improving to be better but also to be more power efficient. The high end phones will be the first to get these.
More CPU power requires more energy, but CPU tech is also focused on effiency. Smaller nodes, better gating. The highest end phones will get the best tech first.
Battery tech continues to improve incrementally. The highest end phones will benefit first.
Newer communication standards also focus on energy usage (Bluetooth 4.0 LE, low energy sensors instead of CPU based sensors). The highest end phones will get these first.

There is a trade off of course with more powerful CPU/GPU, but ask any iPhone user if they prefer the iPhone 4 or 5S (and soon 6). Ask any Android user if they would rather have the Nexus 4 or 5. I think they will almost all prefer the newer one. You can't win this argument backing slower tech.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's true, for the Note 4 anyway. But it's still a highly marketed Android. The G3 is smaller.

I'm not sure if many people on AT&T would get the G3. LG doesn't have much brand recognition for smartphones here in the USA.

I'd suspect more customers would get the iPhone 6, since the size would be more similar to the 920. Note 4 is probably too big for people who think 1520 is too big.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Display tech is improving to be better but also to be more power efficient. The high end phones will be the first to get these.

More CPU power requires more energy, but CPU tech is also focused on effiency. Smaller nodes, better gating. The highest end phones will get the best tech first.

Battery tech continues to improve incrementally. The highest end phones will benefit first.

Newer communication standards also focus on energy usage (Bluetooth 4.0 LE, low energy sensors instead of CPU based sensors). The highest end phones will get these first.

There is a trade off of course with more powerful CPU/GPU, but ask any iPhone user if they prefer the iPhone 4 or 5S (and soon 6). Ask any Android user if they would rather have the Nexus 4 or 5. I think they will almost all prefer the newer one. You can't win this argument backing slower tech.

There certainly are plenty of complaints about battery life on all of the Mobile Nations forums, not just here on WPCentral.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd suspect more customers would get the iPhone 6, since the size would be more similar to the 920. Note 4 is probably too big for people who think 1520 is too big.

I agree that the iPhone 6 will be the biggest killer. It will draw not only the early 920 users, but also Android users who avoided iPhone solely on the basis of small screen size. In fact, I'd be tempted myself if the iPhone wasn't so expensive. I use prepaid service, so I pay full price up front. I get much better value with Nexus devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm already eligible for an upgrade. My contract was for the 900, and I got my 920 from someone here on the forums who sold it since he upgraded to the 1520.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I realy starting to believe its a pointles discusion wat can take forever.
All differand opinions, thats good.
But on one thing we al agree on are commercials......................i hate commercials on tv btw.
They ( MS ) should realy work on that to reach the younger generations.
I think of sponsoring sportsteams, events or sneek commercials in tv shows that actors use a wp device instead of .....whatever.
If they want to, they can even sponsor me ;-)

Who does remember the fraise......where do you want to go today?
That worked.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not backing slower tech as you put it. What I am saying that more power comes at a cost some folks don't want to pay whether it's money, size or both.

How you made the jump from what I posted to what you understood would have made Evel Knievel proud.

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I don't think MS will ever leave the high-end market. They're just waiting for the storm (iPhone 6) to pass while building a good low and mid devices' base.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft throws in the towel on Windows Phone I will never buy an Android or iPhone. I can guarantee you that. I will probably purchase a few of the most recently released high-end Windows Phones and then just continue to use them for as long as possible. After that, bye bye cell phones.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not backing slower tech as you put it. What I am saying that more power comes at a cost some folks don't want to pay whether it's money, size or both.

How you made the jump from what I posted to what you understood would have made Evel Knievel proud.
I don't know if you are in that camp, but I don't understand why some people don't want MS have a high end WP. Two arguments I hear are "already fluid" and battery life. The high end market (iPhone, Galaxy S) indicates that people continue to want bleeding edge tech over improvements in battery life as the former increases yoy while the later remains the same. As for "already fluid", notice that every year the iPhone is said to fluid and yet each year Apple does a 2x speed improvement. Is Apple wasting time improving this? Having a 920/1020-class device as your high end mainstream phone on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Rogers at the end of 2014 is truly embarrassing. It speaks to an OS ecosystem that is unable to keep pace with iOS and Android.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you are in that camp, but I don't understand why some people don't want MS have a high end WP. Two arguments I hear are "already fluid" and battery life. The high end market (iPhone, Galaxy S) indicates that people continue to want bleeding edge tech over improvements in battery life as the former increases yoy while the later remains the same. As for "already fluid", notice that every year the iPhone is said to fluid and yet each year Apple does a 2x speed improvement. Is Apple wasting time improving this? Having a 920/1020-class device as your high end mainstream phone on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Rogers at the end of 2014 is truly embarrassing. It speaks to an OS ecosystem that is unable to keep pace with iOS and Android.
Also, the low end phones are well and truly crap. Relatively crappy yes, blt as crappy as androids at that price, But crappy nontheless. For price, the 720 cost almost the same as the 1520 now. That's ridiculous. I'd like to add that most of the low end champs already have a high end phone as their main, so they don't care, or cant afford higher and they don't want to feel bad

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

You're not understanding the dynamics of market share. Android and iOS own the smartphone world. Android on share and iPhone on individual model sales. When WP catches one of them, they'll then have the flexibility to fight toe-to-toe on hardware and software. They're not there yet but making progress. They own the camera and offline navigation segments.

You, like so many others, think that if a person suggests something then that's their line in the sand. I'm a realist, I know MS needs to grow before they can start flexing their muscles.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You're not understanding the dynamics of market share. Android and iOS own the smartphone world. Android on share and iPhone on individual model sales. When WP catches one of them, they'll then have the flexibility to fight toe-to-toe on hardware and software. They're not there yet but making progress. They own the camera and offline navigation segments.

You, like so many others, think that if a person suggests something then that's their line in the sand. I'm a realist, I know MS needs to grow before they can start flexing their muscles.
Do you honestly believe not having a high end is in any way beneficial to the WP ecosystem? If so, this discussion between us will just go in circles.

Also, the low end phones are well and truly crap. Relatively crappy yes, blt as crappy as androids at that price, But crappy nontheless. For price, the 720 cost almost the same as the 1520 now. That's ridiculous. I'd like to add that most of the low end champs already have a high end phone as their main, so they don't care, or cant afford higher and they don't want to feel bad
I suspect there is some of this but I hope people can rise above their own situation. Today's high end phone is tomorrow's mid range so even people who only get mid-ranges should want WP to have the highest end to reach the market as quickly as possible and trickle down.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you honestly believe not having a high end is in any way beneficial to the WP ecosystem? If so, this discussion between us will just go in circles.

I suspect there is some of this but I hope people can rise above their own situation. Today's high end phone is tomorrow's mid range so even people who only get mid-ranges should want WP to have the highest end to reach the market as quickly as possible and trickle down.

The other issue is that many of us in the USA have expired or expiring contracts with high-end devices, with nothing to upgrade to. I'm not interested in a 635, which doesn't even have a front-facing camera, and I don't want a phablet.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The other issue is that many of us in the USA have expired or expiring contracts with high-end devices, with nothing to upgrade to. I'm not interested in a 635, which doesn't even have a front-facing camera, and I don't want a phablet.
Yeah, I'm on AT&T not because I love them but because I have a family plan with mostly iPhone users and no one wants to switch. 920 users who had two year contracts are starting to end and there is nothing to get now and maybe not until mid 2015 at the earliest. I don't know how Verizon managed to get all the higher end Windows Phone for 2014--Icon, HTC W8, Ativ SE.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Dude, your reading comprehension contains serious taffy. Please show me where I said or even suggested that it's not beneficial for WP to have higher end devices. You're just arguing for the sake of it. Find someone else to spew your drivel, I'm out.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss