If Microsoft Exits the High-End Phone Market, Will You Stay?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The other issue is that many of us in the USA have expired or expiring contracts with high-end devices, with nothing to upgrade to. I'm not interested in a 635, which doesn't even have a front-facing camera, and I don't want a phablet.

My only suggestion is to stay on a month to month basis until something tickles your fancy enough to justify another 2 year sentence, er, contract. I'm on AT&T also but I can't do contracts. The mobile share is more than satisfactory.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Considering that Windows phone os is free now. Anyone can make ? Windows phone or tablet. I think someone Will always make a high end device. I would not stay for midrange only.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Dude, your reading comprehension contains serious taffy. Please show me where I said or even suggested that it's not beneficial for WP to have higher end devices. You're just arguing for the sake of it. Find someone else to spew your drivel, I'm out.

Sent from my LIFE VIEW TAB using WPCentral Forums mobile app
Okay well, then what is your view? Can you clarify what you mean here?
You're not understanding the dynamics of market share. Android and iOS own the smartphone world. Android on share and iPhone on individual model sales. When WP catches one of them, they'll then have the flexibility to fight toe-to-toe on hardware and software. They're not there yet but making progress. They own the camera and offline navigation segments.
Shouldn't they fight toe-to-toe on the best hardware and software now? My view is very simple. WP needs low, middle, and high end phones. And the high end phones should be competitive with Android high end phones, not be 6 months or a year behind, which they have been in the past.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My only suggestion is to stay on a month to month basis until something tickles your fancy enough to justify another 2 year sentence, er, contract.

The problem is that a person not renewing their contract is paying a premium for something they're not getting; a new device. At the very least I'd get an iPhone and sell it. If you know that what you want is going to be released soon, then it makes sense to wait. At this point, we have no clue what flagship WP (or even if there is one) is on its way to AT&T.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that a person not renewing their contract is paying a premium for something they're not getting; a new device. At the very least I'd get an iPhone and sell it. If you know that what you want is going to be released soon, then it makes sense to wait. At this point, we have no clue what flagship WP (or even if there is one) is on its way to AT&T.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Not anymore. AT&T charges you differently for having the subsidy. We can all thank T-Mobile for this since Verizon has also adopted this policy. Example, AT&T bills you for your data bucket regardless of your phone situation then bills you for subsidized or BYOD on the device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not anymore. AT&T charges you differently for having the subsidy. We can all thank T-Mobile for this since Verizon has also adopted this policy. Example, AT&T bills you for your data bucket regardless of your phone situation then bills you for subsidized or BYOD on the device.

My contract ended in April, but my bill didn't get any cheaper.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm on an old plan. I don't have any users to share data anyway.

You don't need other users. But you are allowed to tether which is part of the reason it's called "shared" My plan is $40 for the device and $25 for the 1 gig bucket. Adding the Mrs. added another $40 since she only uses about 200mb/month (I know, I'm spoiled).

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You don't need other users. But you are allowed to tether which is part of the reason it's called "shared" My plan is $40 for the device and $25 for the 1 gig bucket. Adding the Mrs. added another $40 since she only uses about 200mb/month (I know, I'm spoiled).

And for clarification, it's $40 for a device on the 2-year contract. If you are off contract, it is only $25 (or $15 if your data plan is 10 GB or higher). So a single line with 1 GB and no contract should cost $50+taxes or with 2 GB it should cost $65+taxes. You can compare these to what your current individual plan rate is. Don't forget to add any applicable extra charges on the old individual plan such as unlimited texting.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And for clarification, it's $40 for a device on the 2-year contract. If you are off contract, it is only $25 (or $15 if your data plan is 10 GB or higher). So a single line with 1 GB and no contract should cost $50+taxes or with 2 GB it should cost $65+taxes. You can compare these to what your current individual plan rate is. Don't forget to add any applicable extra charges on the old individual plan such as unlimited texting.

Doh! Homer Simpson moment. It is $25 per line off-contract. I was wondering why the math wasn't working, thanks for pointing it out.

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Which boundaries are you looking to push? Aside from the camera, WP does not offer bleeding edge technology on the hardware side.

Well I mean boundaries as within the ecosystem. I want comparable high end windows phones to the android counterparts, not a world of nothing but 520s. I don't need it to do anything substantially different than android, etc. But at least give me a hero phone for the OS.

adam220891

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I won't stay. It's not my preference...The WP8.1 experience is better than the rest. The hardware and app selection is not, however.

I currently have an L521. It's been good for the (almost) year I've had it. For $60, no complaints (except I had to buy two after one went in the washer). I like the tiles on 8.1 and it's a quicker experience than Android.

However, I'm interested in a bigger screen with higher resolution. The 635 has a 4.5" screen but the resolution is only slightly higher to accommodate the soft keys. Only 512MB of RAM as well.

At any rate, I was considering the Lumia Icon, but that's a 1080P screen at 5" in size. Sounds reasonable, but the G3 is qHD at 5.5" and the Note 4 will be qHD at 5.7". There's cameras, CPUs, and other specs to consider, but on a hardware level, I feel like Nokia could reach higher.

Secondary is lack of apps for me. There's at least 2 I need for work (I'm in IT) that I can't get. I can deal with not having the latest trend in games, or the app that lets you order a hot dog at your seat at a baseball game, etc. but these missing apps for work hurt me.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Secondary is lack of apps for me. There's at least 2 I need for work (I'm in IT) that I can't get. I can deal with not having the latest trend in games, or the app that lets you order a hot dog at your seat at a baseball game, etc. but these missing apps for work hurt me.

I was commenting that with a friend who works on PWC yesterday... MSFT should focus on bringing business and professional apps to WP, not just bull**** games.

adam220891

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be tough for the third party companies to justify the expense of making a WP8 app when they hold under 2% of the market. Specifically, I am unable to get a UC app and another app for the managing of the wireless LAN.

Given that the integration with OneDrive and Outlook is very good, it would be obvious to build on that with AD, RSAT, etc. integration. The RDP beta is nice but largely useless on my 4" phone. I know I'm in the minority of the userbase, but for being a Windows administrator, with Windows 8.1 Pro on my desktop, and a WP8.1 mobile device, the experience feels like it could be more synchronized.

Back to the original purpose of the thread...If there was a qHD 5.5" WP8.1 Lumia for T-Mobile or Verizon, I'd buy it.

Jillxz

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Because the WP OS runs so well on low end hardware, does it really make much difference? Is there a big advantage to high end hardware, besides maybe the camera?

For me yes it does. I won't have any screen smaller than a 5.2 . must have at least 32 GB storage . and 2gs of ram. These are absolute must haves for me. And I,really want 3Gs of,ram and 64gb of storage. Just cannot have a low or mid,range phone.

Broomcorn

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I can't sacrifice that much. I'm an original WP user, got a focus the first morning it was sold. But MS is real close to losing loyal fans, both because of lackluster Hardwear and lack of apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss