The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-16-2014 05:29 AM
77 1234
tools
    Despite HP's experience with Palm one usually doesn't buy a company or division then cancel your work in that field. That makes no sense. MS will continue to plug away with WP for at least three years or so. However I would bet that if we've not hit 10% within a three to five year period there will be significant discussion around cancellation.

Overall I would guess the answer will be no. Smartphones is a segment that will not be going away anytime soon. MS is busy trying to tie together an ecosystem on multiple MS platforms and that's an important move. MS has shown they have a long term strategy and when necessary will stay in a market even with losses. The kin was simply one phone and even the Zune is relatively insignificant now. I'm wondering what iPod sales are like these days, I assume the entire mp3 player segment is becoming obsolete.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-15-2014 09:28 AM
    08-15-2014 09:37 AM
    I think Q4 will be the best measure of the changes introduced. The free license, the new OEMs, cheaper devices, universal apps, the bigger app store, the 8.1 features, Cortana.

Although, WP is an interesting business by itself and supporting the PC and tablets, even if it get stuck wth 2.5% of market share forever. The smartphone market is huge, 2.5% will be more than 100 million users in a few years.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-15-2014 09:50 AM
    I used android alot, then apple, back to android. Now windows phone is my choice. It's awesome. Way ahead of the others. Too bad Microsoft does not get stiff with marketing of it. That's how apple became apple. Nothing to do with products, its all about marketing.
    08-15-2014 10:05 AM
    Hah I just actually spoke with an ATT rep just to test them out. This guy was actually decent!

attrep.png
    Mach_E and snowmutt like this.
    08-15-2014 10:11 AM
    Sorry if this is a double post, but just chatted with an ATT rep and they were fairly decent!

attrep.png
    08-15-2014 10:14 AM
    Such strategies rarely work.

The best such strategies can do is to motivate OEMs to invest the minimal effort required to reap the benefits (lower royalties) and then stop. MS' attempts to pay for app development represents a similar strategy that already failed. It motivated devs to make apps that are just good enough to cash MS' check, but not anything more. Unfortunately such apps are not competitive compared to iOS and Android. Your suggestion would just do the same for hardware.

MS already maxed out their best options (increase the cost to release an Android device by collecting IP royalties and reduce the cost for WP devices by giving WP away), which shifted the OEMs profitability calculation in WP's favour. Unfortunately the difference isn't yet enough to influence anyone but the manufacturers of the cheapest devices!
    Nokia, also tried the same approach sure they got a lot of the must have apps but some of them haven't been updated much (i.e vine, instagram)

Also the QRD program only has reference designs for low to mid end and none for high end SOC's which is what I saw at first glance. Unless the high end reference designs are buried under a OEM login screen lol.
    08-15-2014 10:28 AM
    No matter what comes out, it would be really sad to see WP go.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-15-2014 10:30 AM
    If we get to the point where they end up cancelling WP I could get an 8" Win tablet and tether it to a standard feature phone. I don't want to go Android or iPhone. I mean I will if all else fails as the tablet-feature phone combo isn't the best choice but I like the WP ecosystem too much to abandon it. If they do end up merging WP and RT that will make it more tolerable as I can just do universal apps on my tablet and just use the phone for making calls/text messages. Blah don't like thinking about it though so I hope they don't abandon the market.
    08-15-2014 11:32 AM
    In Netherlands and Europe Windows Phone is still growing... From last year 4,7% to 10% now.
    Beppe Gissi and snowmutt like this.
    08-15-2014 11:43 AM
    I think windows phone going to face stiff competition in India as android one going to come to India.so low end is lost for WP.but I want wp to win because it is lag free os in the low end phones.its nit resource hungry os.
    08-15-2014 12:19 PM
    With all this in mind, and windows phone clearly losing Microsoft money, will they cancel them?
    If you are talking about the near future, the chances are slim and none, and slim just left town.
    J Ice70 and snowmutt like this.
    08-15-2014 12:37 PM
    As we have heard today, the marketshare is falling worldwide. (Now only 2.5%)
    And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.
    I'd love to see a WP flagship gain some traction this fall, but the expectation of it "dominating" IPhone 6 is just too high.

Lower your expectations, and you'll lower your disappointments.

iPhone will have a winner this fall because of brand fans. Actual Bang for the Buck may vary.
    08-15-2014 12:41 PM
    In Netherlands and Europe Windows Phone is still growing... From last year 4,7% to 10% now.
    Here in Italy WPs are selling more than iPhones.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-15-2014 12:46 PM
    I think windows phone going to face stiff competition in India as android one going to come to India.so low end is lost for WP.but I want wp to win because it is lag free os in the low end phones.its nit resource hungry os.
    The same are Competing to Bring WINDOWS PHONES to market. so they will surely do better marketing.. Let the right thing happen.. [i dont know about it :P ]
    08-15-2014 12:50 PM
    They can't cancel windows phone because of threshold. The phone is the missing link. The carrier exclusives are killing them. The poor advertising is killing. They should kill the windows phone brand and start over. Change the name, bring a massive overhaul with threshold however every wp8 phone should be able to update to it. Even the 1020 and 810 via the dev preview with threshold
    DoctorSaline and snowmutt like this.
    08-15-2014 01:25 PM
    They certainly can kill it (remember KIN)? Big corporations cancel hobby projects every day - just look at Google. MS loses money on WP and given the low market share I don't believe that they are willing to hang around forever. After all they just also gave up on Win RT after writing down almost a billion dollars.

And define threshold please?
    They can't cancel windows phone because of threshold. The phone is the missing link. The carrier exclusives are killing them. The poor advertising is killing. They should kill the windows phone brand and start over. Change the name, bring a massive overhaul with threshold however every wp8 phone should be able to update to it. Even the 1020 and 810 via the dev preview with threshold
    08-15-2014 01:35 PM
    Anyone who thinks they will suddenly walk away from WP, hasn't been paying attention at all.
    DoctorSaline and BobLobIaw like this.
    08-15-2014 01:50 PM
    They certainly can kill it (remember KIN)? Big corporations cancel hobby projects every day - just look at Google. MS loses money on WP and given the low market share I don't believe that they are willing to hang around forever. After all they just also gave up on Win RT after writing down almost a billion dollars.

And define threshold please?
    I am LOL that you are apparently calling the Windows Phone platform a hobby... Companies don't just flippantly walk away from a #3 Mobile platform.

Define Threshold? I hope that was a joke.
    08-15-2014 01:54 PM
    Number 3? Talk about a joke - that's like saying in a race between a Porsche, a Corvette and a Volkswagen the VW is number 3. Windows isn't in the same ballpark with IOS or Android and if you don't believe it's a hobby show me the marketing for WP.

I am LOL that you are apparently calling the Windows Phone platform a hobby... Companies don't just flippantly walk away from a #3 Mobile platform.

Define Threshold? I hope that was a joke.
    08-15-2014 02:02 PM
    Oh, just because Scobble says so? But wait, weren't Macs performed any better and should they have been canceled? If you develop your platform you can always go up, if you don't there is no hope... Clearly by canceling Nokia X Nadella put it straight forward that there is no other option than to develop Windows Phone.
    08-15-2014 02:10 PM
    No, I don't think Microsoft would cancel WP because the very first word in Nadella's motto is "Mobile" and the second is "first", so they will put every effort behind pushing their version of mobile OS that is WP and other mobile services. Unless I misunderstood the word "mobile" in his motto.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    08-15-2014 02:11 PM
    WP is failing pretty badly. Cancelling it is a real possibility.

The thing is that Microsoft cant afford to not have a strong presence in the mobile market. They just cant. It is one of the biggest markets there is, and it isn't showing signs of going anywhere. What will MS look like in 10 years if they never become remotely competitive in the mobile industry?

They cant just scrap it and start over. Maybe they can rebrand it, but they cant scrap it. People are complaining that there aren't enough apps in the store now. If a new OS wasn't compatible with the existing apps, they would be starting from nothing. They would have made the problem worse.

They REALLY need to blow people out of the water with their next major update. WP 9 needs to be dramatic. Really dramatic. Hardware needs to be as good as it can be at the time of its release. The OS needs to be eye catching, but more importantly, it has to do things that nobody has thought of. Adding Cortana and a Notification Center has been really nice for us, but you aren't going to impress anyone on another device with it. Live Tiles aren't going to impress anyone. I like they for their shape and how I can customize them, but I rarely find a live tile that is anything more than a nifty little UI thing.

Marketing needs to improve. Really improve. Apple has managed to get their logo in to every single tv show or movie over the last 10 years. Based on the media, you would think everyone owned an Mac. Windows products are rarely seen, and when they are, its a little TOO in your face. Like if you saw Windows 8 on a TV show you would probably roll your eyes because of how out of place it looks.

Im not sure how legal it is, but MS needs to write some sort of conversion script that rips through iOS or Android app code and automagically generates a WP app from it. At this point it is the only way they are going to catch up.

I don't know if they are going to cancel WP, but they really need to step up their game if they want to stick around.
    08-15-2014 02:20 PM
    Do you think Amazon are about to disappear? Are they going to shut up shop? Why not, they are unprofitable. See its more than profits sometimes.
    MS market share has everything to do with Nokia takeover, company restructure, reallocated resources into Threshold. Its tiring seeing the same rubbish and nonsense, just cant seem to take a step back and see the big picture. You see a figure and that's that, doom and gloom.
    08-15-2014 02:26 PM
    IF they ever release a Lumia Android, we'll know their end goal is to eventually drop WP and use the devices division for a Windows-ized Android. The grand experiment will only last so long... :(
    Last edited by nohra; 08-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
    08-15-2014 02:26 PM
77 1234