Will Microsoft cancel windows phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As pointed out elsewhere, 6 months ago there was Nokia, Nokia and well, HTC.

Now that Windows Phone license is FREE there are about 12 other companies that sell Windows Phone devices, with new ones turning up every week. This is how Android took off.

Nothing being cancelled that I see... quite the opposite!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think people will cancel long before Microsoft does. Microsoft has a good product but it has some lazy execution. What I hope happens is that Microsoft would eventually separate its phone division from the enterprise and let the people do what they do best, innovate. Maybe they already have autonomy to do what they do but if they do, they seriously lack leadership.

wpceej989

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I've been thinking about this and while the idea of more choices is great, if the stores aren't pushing them (or not even displaying the hardware nicely), the sales people aren't educated (or given incentives), I think even getting to 10% market share, hell even 5% is going to be a difficult hill to climb.

​The main issue is (at least in the US I believe) the general media outlets have already cast aside Windows Phone. Every Windows Phone newsfeed (through Bing News) there's at least one person saying, "Microsoft should kill Windows Phone" or "Windows Phone should give up". I'm sure a lot of those retail sales people at Verizon, T-Mobile, ATT, etc, read up on this stuff on these sites so it just becomes a vicious cycle. And because of all the negativity, it shuns not only potential customers, but developers as well. If it's a two horse race, Google and Apple will just be copying each other's "innovation". When ModernUI (Metro) came out, it totally changed the way both of them looked at UI. They took it and ran with it.

How does Microsoft battle that? When does Windows Phone become cool like Android or iPhone? Does Microsoft get into the Native Advertising game? I know it's horribly deceiving but something needs to be done to change the perception of this lovely platform. MS has done what it can to get features in there, but to change the mindset of the platform.

I still feel that of the 3, Windows Phone has the potential to blow away the competition because of the different services Microsoft provides. It's just a matter of waiting, but, will the consumers wait or even give them a second (or even first) look? So far they haven't.

Santos lil elpair

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about switching if no flagship phones come out this fall for AT&T. I love my 920 and would get an ICON if it were for AT&T, but AT&T is not a fan of windows phone and I'm disappointed in them abandoning Qi for the powermat as well.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone becomes cool when its shelf has not only 1520 and 930 hardware but also the hardware you see on htc one, lg g3, one plus one, xperia, etc. Some people think it's not a problem but consumers are shallow, that works on them.

Also it was never a great idea to call it Windows Phone, that doesn't sound cool, feels like the stuff you want to run away from. Why not call the entire OS Surface? Then u have surface tablets and phones running surface. Or something like that.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Despite HP's experience with Palm one usually doesn't buy a company or division then cancel your work in that field. That makes no sense. MS will continue to plug away with WP for at least three years or so. However I would bet that if we've not hit 10% within a three to five year period there will be significant discussion around cancellation.

Overall I would guess the answer will be no. Smartphones is a segment that will not be going away anytime soon. MS is busy trying to tie together an ecosystem on multiple MS platforms and that's an important move. MS has shown they have a long term strategy and when necessary will stay in a market even with losses. The kin was simply one phone and even the Zune is relatively insignificant now. I'm wondering what iPod sales are like these days, I assume the entire mp3 player segment is becoming obsolete.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Q4 will be the best measure of the changes introduced. The free license, the new OEMs, cheaper devices, universal apps, the bigger app store, the 8.1 features, Cortana.

Although, WP is an interesting business by itself and supporting the PC and tablets, even if it get stuck wth 2.5% of market share forever. The smartphone market is huge, 2.5% will be more than 100 million users in a few years.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I used android alot, then apple, back to android. Now windows phone is my choice. It's awesome. Way ahead of the others. Too bad Microsoft does not get stiff with marketing of it. That's how apple became apple. Nothing to do with products, its all about marketing.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Such strategies rarely work.

The best such strategies can do is to motivate OEMs to invest the minimal effort required to reap the benefits (lower royalties) and then stop. MS' attempts to pay for app development represents a similar strategy that already failed. It motivated devs to make apps that are just good enough to cash MS' check, but not anything more. Unfortunately such apps are not competitive compared to iOS and Android. Your suggestion would just do the same for hardware.

MS already maxed out their best options (increase the cost to release an Android device by collecting IP royalties and reduce the cost for WP devices by giving WP away), which shifted the OEMs profitability calculation in WP's favour. Unfortunately the difference isn't yet enough to influence anyone but the manufacturers of the cheapest devices!

Nokia, also tried the same approach sure they got a lot of the must have apps but some of them haven't been updated much (i.e vine, instagram)

Also the QRD program only has reference designs for low to mid end and none for high end SOC's which is what I saw at first glance. Unless the high end reference designs are buried under a OEM login screen lol.

pw38

May 24, 2013
Visit site
If we get to the point where they end up cancelling WP I could get an 8" Win tablet and tether it to a standard feature phone. I don't want to go Android or iPhone. I mean I will if all else fails as the tablet-feature phone combo isn't the best choice but I like the WP ecosystem too much to abandon it. If they do end up merging WP and RT that will make it more tolerable as I can just do universal apps on my tablet and just use the phone for making calls/text messages. Blah don't like thinking about it though so I hope they don't abandon the market.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think windows phone going to face stiff competition in India as android one going to come to India.so low end is lost for WP.but I want wp to win because it is lag free os in the low end phones.its nit resource hungry os.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
As we have heard today, the marketshare is falling worldwide. (Now only 2.5%)
And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.

I'd love to see a WP flagship gain some traction this fall, but the expectation of it "dominating" IPhone 6 is just too high.

Lower your expectations, and you'll lower your disappointments.

iPhone will have a winner this fall because of brand fans. Actual Bang for the Buck may vary.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think windows phone going to face stiff competition in India as android one going to come to India.so low end is lost for WP.but I want wp to win because it is lag free os in the low end phones.its nit resource hungry os.

The same are Competing to Bring WINDOWS PHONES to market. so they will surely do better marketing.. Let the right thing happen.. [i dont know about it :p ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise