Will Microsoft cancel windows phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They can't cancel windows phone because of threshold. The phone is the missing link. The carrier exclusives are killing them. The poor advertising is killing. They should kill the windows phone brand and start over. Change the name, bring a massive overhaul with threshold however every wp8 phone should be able to update to it. Even the 1020 and 810 via the dev preview with threshold

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
They certainly can kill it (remember KIN)? Big corporations cancel hobby projects every day - just look at Google. MS loses money on WP and given the low market share I don't believe that they are willing to hang around forever. After all they just also gave up on Win RT after writing down almost a billion dollars.

And define threshold please?
They can't cancel windows phone because of threshold. The phone is the missing link. The carrier exclusives are killing them. The poor advertising is killing. They should kill the windows phone brand and start over. Change the name, bring a massive overhaul with threshold however every wp8 phone should be able to update to it. Even the 1020 and 810 via the dev preview with threshold

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
They certainly can kill it (remember KIN)? Big corporations cancel hobby projects every day - just look at Google. MS loses money on WP and given the low market share I don't believe that they are willing to hang around forever. After all they just also gave up on Win RT after writing down almost a billion dollars.

I am LOL that you are apparently calling the Windows Phone platform a hobby... Companies don't just flippantly walk away from a #3 Mobile platform.

Define Threshold? I hope that was a joke.

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Number 3? Talk about a joke - that's like saying in a race between a Porsche, a Corvette and a Volkswagen the VW is number 3. Windows isn't in the same ballpark with IOS or Android and if you don't believe it's a hobby show me the marketing for WP.

I am LOL that you are apparently calling the Windows Phone platform a hobby... Companies don't just flippantly walk away from a #3 Mobile platform.

Define Threshold? I hope that was a joke.

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Oh, just because Scobble says so? But wait, weren't Macs performed any better and should they have been canceled? If you develop your platform you can always go up, if you don't there is no hope... Clearly by canceling Nokia X Nadella put it straight forward that there is no other option than to develop Windows Phone.

maktaba

May 31, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't think Microsoft would cancel WP because the very first word in Nadella's motto is "Mobile" and the second is "first", so they will put every effort behind pushing their version of mobile OS that is WP and other mobile services. Unless I misunderstood the word "mobile" in his motto.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
WP is failing pretty badly. Cancelling it is a real possibility.

The thing is that Microsoft cant afford to not have a strong presence in the mobile market. They just cant. It is one of the biggest markets there is, and it isn't showing signs of going anywhere. What will MS look like in 10 years if they never become remotely competitive in the mobile industry?

They cant just scrap it and start over. Maybe they can rebrand it, but they cant scrap it. People are complaining that there aren't enough apps in the store now. If a new OS wasn't compatible with the existing apps, they would be starting from nothing. They would have made the problem worse.

They REALLY need to blow people out of the water with their next major update. WP 9 needs to be dramatic. Really dramatic. Hardware needs to be as good as it can be at the time of its release. The OS needs to be eye catching, but more importantly, it has to do things that nobody has thought of. Adding Cortana and a Notification Center has been really nice for us, but you aren't going to impress anyone on another device with it. Live Tiles aren't going to impress anyone. I like they for their shape and how I can customize them, but I rarely find a live tile that is anything more than a nifty little UI thing.

Marketing needs to improve. Really improve. Apple has managed to get their logo in to every single tv show or movie over the last 10 years. Based on the media, you would think everyone owned an Mac. Windows products are rarely seen, and when they are, its a little TOO in your face. Like if you saw Windows 8 on a TV show you would probably roll your eyes because of how out of place it looks.

Im not sure how legal it is, but MS needs to write some sort of conversion script that rips through iOS or Android app code and automagically generates a WP app from it. At this point it is the only way they are going to catch up.

I don't know if they are going to cancel WP, but they really need to step up their game if they want to stick around.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you think Amazon are about to disappear? Are they going to shut up shop? Why not, they are unprofitable. See its more than profits sometimes.
MS market share has everything to do with Nokia takeover, company restructure, reallocated resources into Threshold. Its tiring seeing the same rubbish and nonsense, just cant seem to take a step back and see the big picture. You see a figure and that's that, doom and gloom.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
IF they ever release a Lumia Android, we'll know their end goal is to eventually drop WP and use the devices division for a Windows-ized Android. The grand experiment will only last so long... :(

Last edited:

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It's surprising that people are talking about killing windows phone when Microsoft is all about unifying all of their operating systems into one including windows phone. The problem for pessimists is that, though WP may have 2.5% market share, there is windows8.1/9 on the other end of the chain which is going to be one and the same with Threshold. Universal apps anyone? Windows(on PCs) share anyone? So, the thing is WP will develop and mature even if the pessimists and competition don't want it to. And no, WP(as a software R&D) isn't a loss to Microsoft or they wouldn't just have killed its licensing fees.
They killed Kin etc because Microsoft doesn't have the market clout(influence) to carve and create a market of something new on their own but how can you think about they running away from a market that has already been established?
About advertisements, yes even I believe that Microsoft needs to work on that. But the truth is, the smartphone market is too saturated at this point to be affected much by marketing and spending too much money on it may only bring them more losses than market share. Now that more and more OEMs are onboard, it is up to OEMs to market(advertise) and sell windows phone products. More OEMs mean more market share and more market share means more apps and games development.

Now, the worst that can happen is MS selling off its newly acquired hardware division if it doesn't acquire enough traction in coming years and is a loss to MS. But windows phone as an OS is here to stay.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's surprising that people are talking about killing windows phone when Microsoft is all about unifying all of their operating systems into one including windows phone.

Reports are that Windows 9 will vary based on the device it's installed on. On a PC it will look much different than on a phone. However, the code is similar, which means that the same apps can be used.

But how about the apps? Won't they have to be coded to work with screen sizes from 4" to 32" or more? Won't that make them infinitely more complicated to develop? For ultimate efficiency they would also need to render differently based on screen size and device. Variation in screen sizes is one of the things developers complain about with Android as opposed to iOS. iOS has only a few screen sizes, making app development more simple. I would think that Windows' unified apps would make development complicated. Therefore, we could see apps that are "for phone only" or "for PC only", if the Store would allow that.

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
If they ever release a Lumia Android, we'll know their end goal is to eventually drop WP and use the devices division for a Windows-ized Android. The grand experiment will only last so long... :(

This won't happen, they have already freezed Nokia X project because Android was a (bad) idea from Nokia

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Won't that make them infinitely more complicated to develop?

Difficult not impossible. And the APIs are already in place with W8.1 and WP8.1 release. These APIs will assist developers to scale and optimize apps&games for both PCs and phones. And with threshold release, that should also work with tablets and Xbox. How MS implements it is yet to be seen.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If only people were a little more rational and less reactionary.

Yes Microsoft ought to double down on its services in other platforms, fine, but you do realize that too is an uphill battle, right?

Again, think rationally. Will Google make Bing, Office 365, Skype, etc, the front and center of the Android experience? Hell, in order to bloody use an Android device you need a Google Account, and from there, your motivation to pick up a Microsoft Account goes down the drain. I can't tell you how many Skype users I came across using Gmail as their login.

Hence the reason for Windows, Windows Phone and "WindowsOne" (if and when PC and mobile are unified). Microsoft's own platforms are the only places on earth where its services can get spotlight treatment. The likes of Google and Apple will continuously work to bury Microsoft's offerings on their own platforms, but they can't stop subscriptions happening on Windows Phones. Just a tangent, but think about the days when you booted up your Windows PC for the first time, did installing Office ever slip your mind? What about MSN? That's the thought Microsoft needs to plant into people's minds...

Let's say Microsoft fights tooth and nail and achieves one day a grand total of 100 million active Windows/Win Phone users capable enough to buy into key Microsoft services. Imagine how much of a boon it'd be for Office if only a fifth of those users signed onto Office 365 Home Premium.

The idea of stifling Windows and prioritizing Android and iOS development is BS in my opinion. You can never be on favourable terms on another's OS, you'll always be on a uphill fight against Google Docs, Hangouts, Beats, etc. People are cohesive thinkers, they'll work towards standardizing and achieving commonality and simplicity wherever possible. It's only a matter of time before they take up Docs and not even think about Office.

Microsoft should really be doubling down on Windows and ensuring that it is a bloody good product. It should work towards making Windows pervasive and easy to adopt for OEMs. It should goddamn figure out its messaging and drive it in no uncertain terms to consumers. The only real problem Microsoft has is that it has too many people up top who don't give a damn about the company, its brand, its ideas, its values, etc.

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Number 3? Talk about a joke - that's like saying in a race between a Porsche, a Corvette and a Volkswagen the VW is number 3. Windows isn't in the same ballpark with IOS or Android and if you don't believe it's a hobby show me the marketing for WP.

My suspicion is confirmed

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Threshold is what the NT kernel leads to. Why Microsoft killed off WP7. Threshold is the total convergence of all windows products. The same experience, no matter what device you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)