08-16-2014 05:29 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    As we have heard today, the marketshare is falling worldwide. (Now only 2.5%)
    And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.

With all this in mind, and windows phone clearly losing Microsoft money, will they cancel them?

I really hope not because I love windows phones and the UI of Windows Phone made me love the UI of Windows 8
    08-14-2014 04:06 PM
    Well with their current pathetic lack of support its practically cancelled already.
    08-14-2014 04:12 PM
    Well with their current pathetic lack of support its practically cancelled already.
    Lack of support !! Could you clarify ?
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-14-2014 04:19 PM
    I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. If they would debut Windows 9 & WP9 with flagship devices under the Surface banner I think that's a great start. Surface Desktop, Laptop, new Pro model, and finally release a Surface premium phone...
    booboisie and snowmutt like this.
    08-14-2014 04:22 PM
    All this negativity. Every month this happens.
    The 2.5% is at the end of a sales cycle. New devices are just around the corner, so this figure will go up... It's the same for all phone manufacturers.

Why is there the need to say WP is doomed? Whoever says that knows nothing about business....

So stop with the negativity. Try having some belief in the device YOU have chosen. If you believe it's a bad decision, then go to another platform.
    I have belief in MS. I own a 1520, and I feel it is the best smartphone available today. Keep your QHD displays and 810 CPUs.

The 1520 just works, and works for days...
    BobLobIaw, k0de, xandros9 and 18 others like this.
    08-14-2014 04:27 PM
    I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. .
    Funny, pretty sure that was said in 2012 about the next year, and in 2013 about this year....and as always while Microsoft moves like a sloth the competition moves quickly meaning WP is perpetually in a catchup state and until Microsoft moves EVERYTHING about WP into high gear they will always be behind.
    von929Shavone and Arka1412 like this.
    08-14-2014 04:28 PM
    I just hope 2015 is a better year for windows in general. If they would debut Windows 9 & WP9 with flagship devices under the Surface banner I think that's a great start. Surface Desktop, Laptop, new Pro model, and finally release a Surface premium phone...
    I want to see a Surface with Core M (10.6''), a new lighter Surface Pro and maybe an ARM surface mini (although maybe cherry trail instead).
    08-14-2014 04:30 PM
    2015 will be better, lmao. We've been saying that since 2010!
    The sad thing is the OS has caught up in many ways but where are the devices that make people salivate?
    On one side you have htc one, lg g3, sony experia z, samsung galaxy s5, note 3, one plus one, all pretty much available to anyone. On the other side you have the old 920, 1020 and the newish 1520 and 930 who pretty much all look the same and are limited by carrier exclusivity. Not a fair fight, is it?
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    Xellsama likes this.
    08-14-2014 04:36 PM
    All this negativity. Every month this happens.
    The 2.5% is at the end of a sales cycle. New devices are just around the corner, so this figure will go up... It's the same for all phone manufacturers.

Why is there the need to say WP is doomed? Whoever says that knows nothing about business....

So stop with the negativity. Try having some belief in the device YOU have chosen. If you believe it's a bad decision, then go to another platform.
    I have belief in MS. I own a 1520, and I feel it is the best smartphone available today. Keep your QHD displays and 810 CPUs.

The 1520 just works, and works for days...

Couldn't have said it any better.
    xandros9 and Felix Bank like this.
    08-14-2014 04:50 PM
    And the iPhone 6 is imminent which will destroy the chances of a flagship lumia phone from dominating the high-end market this fall.
    I think that's why they scrapped the flagship phone.. nothing in the high end stands a chance between now and early 2015 against Apple's offering.. you might as well not bother at all.

The camera department is Microsoft's main differentiator, but I am afraid that they won't capitalize, just like Nokia before them.. and on top of that Apple hired one of the main PureView engineers so they are obviously investing into imaging more and more.
    08-14-2014 04:56 PM
    Microsoft gets royalties from every android manufacturer, why not lower it in exchange for proper WP flagships? HTC is doing it, that's a great phone to have on offer. How about LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.?
    08-14-2014 05:04 PM
    08-14-2014 05:22 PM
    Like all hobbies(XBox, Phone, Surface) MS has the deep pockets to keep funding them forever.
    08-15-2014 02:40 AM
    They probably won't cancel it. I'm not sure about market share but WP as OS will get better. WP devices will get better. WP app ecosystem will get better. Not good enough? There are alternative platforms. *Cheers*
    08-15-2014 03:00 AM
    I think wp market share is falling I don't know 😞 only android is going to stay very sad in low nd mid end.
    08-15-2014 03:17 AM
    Microsoft gets royalties from every android manufacturer, why not lower it in exchange for proper WP flagships?
    Such strategies rarely work.

The best such strategies can do is to motivate OEMs to invest the minimal effort required to reap the benefits (lower royalties) and then stop. MS' attempts to pay for app development represents a similar strategy that already failed. It motivated devs to make apps that are just good enough to cash MS' check, but not anything more. Unfortunately such apps are not competitive compared to iOS and Android. Your suggestion would just do the same for hardware.

MS already maxed out their best options (increase the cost to release an Android device by collecting IP royalties and reduce the cost for WP devices by giving WP away), which shifted the OEMs profitability calculation in WP's favour. Unfortunately the difference isn't yet enough to influence anyone but the manufacturers of the cheapest devices!
    trwrt likes this.
    08-15-2014 04:00 AM
    I think 2015 wil be the year of the rise for WP. I never been into WP myself, but now there are apps, now there is support and I see some WP users around me (quite suprisely that they are mostly girls with not much interest into smartphones).

In last months, Samsung sells felt down, people are getting bored of its UGLY UI and materials. I think MS could take over on the mid market, with such great devices like 625, 925 and 1320 (respicetevly 130, 190 and 230 here) that are BY FAR better than the competitors (if you buy a 150-200 Android, it will probably be rubbish).

In my opinion, MS should release some new mid range smartphones with updated specs (quad-core) and make it lower than 300 to not going crash into Nexus 5 and older high-end Android devices like S5 and G2.

In the view from my eyes, there are lot of ways MS could win this war, and MS has too much experience to fail on this.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-15-2014 05:26 AM
    This article by Paul Thurrott was posted this morning: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...medium=twitter

It is a good read, and one I agree with. He notes that 14 new manufacturers have signed on after Microsoft dropped the licence fee for Windows Phone. These devices will start showing up soon, and I expect a bump in the percentage when there is more choice available to users.

Like Paul said, it's too early to write off WP...let's see what happens over the next couple of quarters when all these new devices jump on the WP train.
    snowmutt and paulxxwall like this.
    08-15-2014 06:10 AM
    As long as MS has full pockets (and they're getting fuller) and can finance the department they won't cancel Windows Phone! Even though these numbers claim a WP market share of 2.5% I totally agree with the opinion that the new manufactures will cause a bump.
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-15-2014 06:50 AM
    I think 2015 wil be the year of the rise for WP. I never been into WP myself, but now there are apps, now there is support and I see some WP users around me (quite suprisely that they are mostly girls with not much interest into smartphones).

In last months, Samsung sells felt down, people are getting bored of its UGLY UI and materials. I think MS could take over on the mid market, with such great devices like 625, 925 and 1320 (respicetevly 130, 190 and 230 here) that are BY FAR better than the competitors (if you buy a 150-200 Android, it will probably be rubbish).

In my opinion, MS should release some new mid range smartphones with updated specs (quad-core) and make it lower than 300 to not going crash into Nexus 5 and older high-end Android devices like S5 and G2.

In the view from my eyes, there are lot of ways MS could win this war, and MS has too much experience to fail on this.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

There is SO MUCH stuff wrong with this post!
    Samsung sales going down? Yeah right. People getting bored of the same design? Like the Lumias are so different from each other. A 150-200 android is rubbish? Ever heard of Motorola?
    08-15-2014 08:28 AM
    As pointed out elsewhere, 6 months ago there was Nokia, Nokia and well, HTC.

Now that Windows Phone license is FREE there are about 12 other companies that sell Windows Phone devices, with new ones turning up every week. This is how Android took off.

Nothing being cancelled that I see... quite the opposite!
    Narathan and leo5122 like this.
    08-15-2014 08:34 AM
    I think people will cancel long before Microsoft does. Microsoft has a good product but it has some lazy execution. What I hope happens is that Microsoft would eventually separate its phone division from the enterprise and let the people do what they do best, innovate. Maybe they already have autonomy to do what they do but if they do, they seriously lack leadership.
    08-15-2014 08:59 AM
    Honestly, I've been thinking about this and while the idea of more choices is great, if the stores aren't pushing them (or not even displaying the hardware nicely), the sales people aren't educated (or given incentives), I think even getting to 10% market share, hell even 5% is going to be a difficult hill to climb.

​The main issue is (at least in the US I believe) the general media outlets have already cast aside Windows Phone. Every Windows Phone newsfeed (through Bing News) there's at least one person saying, "Microsoft should kill Windows Phone" or "Windows Phone should give up". I'm sure a lot of those retail sales people at Verizon, T-Mobile, ATT, etc, read up on this stuff on these sites so it just becomes a vicious cycle. And because of all the negativity, it shuns not only potential customers, but developers as well. If it's a two horse race, Google and Apple will just be copying each other's "innovation". When ModernUI (Metro) came out, it totally changed the way both of them looked at UI. They took it and ran with it.

How does Microsoft battle that? When does Windows Phone become cool like Android or iPhone? Does Microsoft get into the Native Advertising game? I know it's horribly deceiving but something needs to be done to change the perception of this lovely platform. MS has done what it can to get features in there, but to change the mindset of the platform.

I still feel that of the 3, Windows Phone has the potential to blow away the competition because of the different services Microsoft provides. It's just a matter of waiting, but, will the consumers wait or even give them a second (or even first) look? So far they haven't.
    08-15-2014 09:19 AM
    I am thinking about switching if no flagship phones come out this fall for AT&T. I love my 920 and would get an ICON if it were for AT&T, but AT&T is not a fan of windows phone and I'm disappointed in them abandoning Qi for the powermat as well.
    08-15-2014 09:26 AM
    Windows Phone becomes cool when its shelf has not only 1520 and 930 hardware but also the hardware you see on htc one, lg g3, one plus one, xperia, etc. Some people think it's not a problem but consumers are shallow, that works on them.

Also it was never a great idea to call it Windows Phone, that doesn't sound cool, feels like the stuff you want to run away from. Why not call the entire OS Surface? Then u have surface tablets and phones running surface. Or something like that.

08-15-2014 09:26 AM
77 123 ...