Ex-Nokia Executive seems to confirm our fears

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The article is inaccurate from the very beginning. 50% of the layoffs are former Nokia employees, not 70%. 12,500 employees were from Nokia.

So apparently 50% of 18000 is 12500? Your math has had better days I think ;P

This guy was fired from Nokia. He isn't exactly an unbiased source.

We have a saying here: "Zangam-se as comadres, descobrem-se as verdades" (something like "friends get angry at each other, truths come to light")

Doesn't matter how he left Nokia, nothing in his analysis collides with the facts and a realistic analysis. It may not be the sort of thing Microsoft fans want to read but there's nothing wrong with the analysis.

Also, regarding the carriers, I don't know about all of them, but I know from personal experience that Vodafone DOES instruct their employees to only sell Windows Phones to customers who specifically ask for one. I've talked with several Vodafone employees and they all told me the same

As for the future of Microsoft Mobile, I don't think it has one. Specially under Eflop. If Nadella wants to start doing damage control, he should start by firing that guy. I think eventually Microsoft will end up just closing it down and moving a bunch of employees to the Surface division. That way they only have one division with losses producing a couple of phones and tablets. The future of WP in the post-Nokia Era, if there's a future, it's with third party OEMs, not with Microsoft itself. At least that's my opinion. And I think Nadella agrees.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So apparently 50% of 18000 is 12500? Your math has had better days I think ;P

We have a saying here: "Zangam-se as comadres, descobrem-se as verdades" (something like "friends get angry at each other, truths come to light")

Doesn't matter how he left Nokia, nothing in his analysis collides with the facts and a realistic analysis. It may not be the sort of thing Microsoft fans want to read but there's nothing wrong with the analysis.

Also, regarding the carriers, I don't know about all of them, but I know from personal experience that Vodafone DOES instruct their employees to only sell Windows Phones to customers who specifically ask for one. I've talked with several Vodafone employees and they all told me the same

As for the future of Microsoft Mobile, I don't think it has one. Specially under Eflop. If Nadella wants to start doing damage control, he should start by firing that guy. I think eventually Microsoft will end up just closing it down and moving a bunch of employees to the Surface division. That way they only have one division with losses producing a couple of phones and tablets. The future of WP in the post-Nokia Era, if there's a future, it's with third party OEMs, not with Microsoft itself. At least that's my opinion. And I think Nadella agrees.
Nope, 25k Layoffs from Microsoft overall.
I agree with your second point.
I disagree that Microsoft Mobile is dead. Surface division will get rolled into MM, no doubt about it. Why do you think Surface Mini was cancelled?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope, 25k Layoffs from Microsoft overall.
I agree with your second point.
I disagree that Microsoft Mobile is dead. Surface division will get rolled into MM, no doubt about it. Why do you think Surface Mini was cancelled?

Where did you get the 25000 number? They announced 18000. 25000 was the number of ex-Nokia employees that were transferred to Microsoft.
Also the Surface Mini was cancelled, according to Microsoft, because it offered nothing new apart from size. Nothing that would make it stand out. That means it would be yet another money-losing tablet. Any eventual merging of teams wouldn't cancel the tablet.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That as it may, he's analyzing the reality fairly well. Seriously, why on earth would Nokia push phones with the same specs as the Lumia 520 on the same if not lower price point in the L520's key markets, e.g. India? I get companies make mistakes or weird decisions, but there has to be a limit.

I'm calling malice on this issue as well as on the way the carriers dealt with Windows Phone and the general industry's treatment of Microsoft. I was hesitant to pick up the "they all hate Microsoft" thing, but at this point, I can buy it.

I even remember in 2010 when carrier reps would shamelessly push some horrible (lag ridden) Android device over a Samsung Focus, despite the fact that the latter was at the time more suitable for users (back then we didn't have many veteran smartphone users).

"That as it may" only because it fits your profile of where this company is. I don't agree.
Personally I am sick of these eating ones own feed corn stories. I say we don't yet know what is in store of this phone from MS. They released folders and it is as stunning as is Cortana personal assistant. Those are just tidbits. Something big is coming and when it does, none of us will see it coming.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
everyone has there take on what is or has happened and whats going to happen, reality is WP market share is stagnant or dropping and at the very least small to irrelevant, even with a great O/s and Ok ish hardware, if it does not improve significantly high end or low end it will be killed, make no mistake about it, Cortana will survive in other Ms Operating systems but thats it... WP like anything else has a date and an amount, if they dont tie up they shoot it and sadly it looks like the blindfold and wall are fast approaching

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
everyone has there take on what is or has happened and whats going to happen, reality is WP market share is stagnant or dropping and at the very least small to irrelevant, even with a great O/s and Ok ish hardware, if it does not improve significantly high end or low end it will be killed, make no mistake about it, Cortana will survive in other Ms Operating systems but thats it... WP like anything else has a date and an amount, if they dont tie up they shoot it and sadly it looks like the blindfold and wall are fast approaching

Different realities exist based on an individuals perception. Marketing exists to shape perceptions. MS lack of marketing (due to lack of devices) is incorrectly being translated into something that is being looked at through a lens that is distorted and not giving the actual reality. Look at the real hard facts without emotion and you will uncover the reason of the drop in market share and quickly realise that it is the result of MS acquisition to deliver better devices that will actually increase market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99