Pollinating Features and Apps across Microsoft's platforms

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at some of the news surrounding the new Media Player for Xbox One, and a thought occurred to me, why isn't Microsoft porting this app to Windows? If you're not already aware, the upcoming X1 Media Player is capable of playing a huge number of video formats, including .mkv, xvid and even some lesser known and uncommon protocols.

Now while it is true that one could technically do the same by downloading and installing third party solutions (e.g. VLC) on Windows, would it hurt to have a built-in application that just did it all from the onset?

From a technical standpoint it shouldn't necessarily take much to port this app over to Windows, should it? There is already some commonality between the Xbox One and Windows platforms, it's only bound to get closer.

The other neat part about the player is its support for DLNA. With the recent Miracast API updates to Windows (i.e. being able to push Miracast content to a Windows PC), this app would sit right at home, wouldn't it?

A standardized app that immediately makes DLNA and Miracast possible without the need to find and install software, tweak the PC, etc, would be a boon. And yes, I am aware that Windows Media Player can support DLNA, I've streamed stuff from my phone to it countless times. But this new Xbox Media Player would be a solid successor to WMP (way more supported video codecs), would it not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe28yty02SI

And now onto a broader point. Wouldn't it be nice to see some 'cross pollination' of key features and apps between Microsoft's various platforms? Imagine Xbox Media Player on Windows (...and maybe even RT/Phone)... or WP's Notification Centre on Windows... or Windows' ability to access Play To from the actual apps on Windows Phone, etc.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like your suggestion. That certainly would be something all Windows/Xbox/Windows Phone users would like.

Do you know if the X1 Media Player supports .flac and .ogg music files?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I like your suggestion. That certainly would be something all Windows/Xbox/Windows Phone users would like.

Do you know if the X1 Media Player supports .flac and .ogg music files?
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it, but given how many codecs it does support, it should be possible one day soon.

Supported media: gamescom 2014: Kicking off Gamescom: More social features, new ways to watch TV, and USB and DLNA support are coming soon!

3gp audio
3gp video
3gp2
aac
adts
animated gif
asf
avi divx
avi dv
avi uncompressed
avi xvid
bmp
jpg
gif
h264 avchd
mjpeg
mkv
mov
mp3
mpeg 1 ps
mpeg 2
mpeg 2 hd
mpeg 2 ts
mpeg 4 h264 aac
mpeg 4 sp
png
tiff
wav
wma
wma lossless
wma pro
wma voice
wmv
wmv hd

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
To be frank, I'm totally tired of having a music player and a video player separate however advanced control they offer me. But I love my Foobar+potplayer combo.

Wmp has trouble dealing with my music library and video library, and it consumes lots of memory

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12