New Phones coming to Canada

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't wait - picked up an ATT red 1520 from eBay. I am waiting for the unlock code to show up so I can get it rolling on Telus. I know the ATT 1520 version was kind of butchered, but man it is so nicely balanced in the hand, it actually feels lighter than the 920 (which I know isn't the case). I have been playing with the camera already and it is SWEET!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't wait - picked up an ATT red 1520 from eBay. I am waiting for the unlock code to show up so I can get it rolling on Telus. I know the ATT 1520 version was kind of butchered, but man it is so nicely balanced in the hand, it actually feels lighter than the 920 (which I know isn't the case). I have been playing with the camera already and it is SWEET!

How do you find the size? I love everything I read about the 1520, but its just massive...i have tested a Note 3 out a few times to see how comfortable the size is...and while its a little big, the screen size is so nice. Some say it doesn't fit in pants pockets, I really find this hard to believe as my 1020 has tons of room in my pocket.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey Iain_S I see you're on WP Central as well :p But ya you usually do not hear them talk about new phones that aren't announced yet if they don't have a solid backing to rely on. After all, you don't want to disappoint the customers right? I'm also still waiting for a Microsoft Store in Ottawa SERIOUS 3 IN TORONTO GOOD LORD

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
How do you find the size? I love everything I read about the 1520, but its just massive...i have tested a Note 3 out a few times to see how comfortable the size is...and while its a little big, the screen size is so nice. Some say it doesn't fit in pants pockets, I really find this hard to believe as my 1020 has tons of room in my pocket.
Will take some more getting used to but it seriously does feel easier to hold than the 920 for whatever reason! I do like the larger screen size and the camera - switching back and forth on the keyboard is giving me some hilarious spelling errors! And yes, I find it easily fits into the front pockets of both casual and dress pants that I have worn the last few days.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey Iain_S I see you're on WP Central as well :p But ya you usually do not hear them talk about new phones that aren't announced yet if they don't have a solid backing to rely on. After all, you don't want to disappoint the customers right? I'm also still waiting for a Microsoft Store in Ottawa SERIOUS 3 IN TORONTO GOOD LORD

There's one like 3mins drive away from my place but I never dropped by. What's there to be excited about? Everything in there are also in Bestbuy.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Seeing how the only two high-end devices that are out there right now, the 930 and 1520, are not appealing to me (would have been very happy with 1520 if it came in a smaller size) and nothing else has been announced, I'd guess nothing worthwhile is coming to Canada any time soon in the high-end range.
If nothing is announced/released by threshold, specifically a worthwhile 920 replacement, I'll have to seriously start looking at other platforms.
I really hope Microsoft will release a more compelling high end Lumia device and, this is a long shot, Sony gives us an Xperia type device running WP.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You've made great marketing points, problem is we are relying on MS to pick up the slack when it comes to marketing and lets face communication / marketing is not their strong point. The issue you have in marketing windows phone as your 2nd device, is that:
a) why would want to spend that amount of cash when your "high end" smartphone is doing just fine
b) couch analyst's will start harping on about how MS has given up on going for 1st place, therefore shows that they don't have confidence in their product.
That's my point, Microsoft needs to work on altering consumer behaviour. People shouldn't ask "why would I need a second phone?", they should actually think, "hey that Lumia would be nice to have." We know people's rationality can be toned down by a few notches, it's up to Microsoft in figuring out how to do it. And therein lies the problem...Microsoft's marketing "prowess" is no where near the level it needs to be in order to pull off complex thought-altering programs. I think the people who do really well in that regard are the marketing people behind luxury brands, Microsoft should try and hire them instead of whoever they're depending on right now.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Seeing how the only two high-end devices that are out there right now, the 930 and 1520, are not appealing to me (would have been very happy with 1520 if it came in a smaller size) and nothing else has been announced, I'd guess nothing worthwhile is coming to Canada any time soon in the high-end range.
If nothing is announced/released by threshold, specifically a worthwhile 920 replacement, I'll have to seriously start looking at other platforms.
I really hope Microsoft will release a more compelling high end Lumia device and, this is a long shot, Sony gives us an Xperia type device running WP.

its already been stated here and elsewhere that new high end windows phones are coming from MS, I will give you guys a little hint that it will probably be a high end phone and a mid range phone.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
lol not a super secret phone and I doubt it will change the world either, but 2 new phones are coming.

Seems to be super secret, since you won't say anything other than two new phones. Yeah, totally not vague and open to interpretation at all. :p

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
its already been stated here and elsewhere that new high end windows phones are coming from MS, I will give you guys a little hint that it will probably be a high end phone and a mid range phone.

Please provide sources, because last we heard is that McLaren is cancelled and they may announce something else later on, but for now they are focused on 930 and 1520.
Also care to explain why it is so secret when you heard it from a guy in the store? You sign an NDA?

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
If there is a new phone coming, it would be just in time before I get rid of my 1520 2 years from now.
I don't understand why people need to wait for "new" phones. If you need one, just get one. NOW.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
If there is a new phone coming, it would be just in time before I get rid of my 1520 2 years from now.
I don't understand why people need to wait for "new" phones. If you need one, just get one. NOW.

Simple, if you are renewing your contract, you want to use the upgrade on something brand new and not something that is over a year old. Then things like end of life and upgrade cycle play into that as well. Most people that upgrade, don't' actually need a new phone, they just want something new. I'm sure those that actually need a new phone (broken/bricked old phone) end up getting one right away.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Simple, if you are renewing your contract, you want to use the upgrade on something brand new and not something that is over a year old. Then things like end of life and upgrade cycle play into that as well. Most people that upgrade, don't' actually need a new phone, they just want something new. I'm sure those that actually need a new phone (broken/bricked old phone) end up getting one right away.

Well, it's not applicable to me. I don't buy the rip-off renewing a contract idea. I just buy the phone I want and stay with my current account... I ALWAYS BUY UNLOCKED PHONES. That way I am not limited to what is only available with my carrier. in fact, 1520 is not available with any carrier here in Toronto or anywhere in Canada. As I said, I just buy what I want, any time. I don't need to wait for contract renewal. If there's a new phone next month that I want, I will buy and sell at will.
Most mobile users tend to rely on what carriers can offer not realizing that there are other options... the freedom of unlocked phones. I have been using unlocked phones since Nokia 3210 days.

Last edited:

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not applicable to me. I don't buy the rip-off renewing a contract idea. I just buy the phone I want and stay with my current account... I ALWAYS BUY UNLOCKED PHONES. That way I am not limited to what is only available with my carrier. in fact, 1520 is not available with any carrier here in Toronto or anywhere in Canada. As I said, I just buy what I want, any time. I don't need to wait for contract renewal. If there's a new phone next month that I want, I will buy and sell at will.
Most mobile users tend to rely on what carriers can offer not realizing that there are other options... the freedom of unlocked phones. I have been using unlocked phones since Nokia 3210 days.

I think you are forgetting that a lot of people may not have the comfort of putting down hundreds of dollars up front on a phone or changing phones on a whim. Also some people are perfectly fine with owning a phone for a 2-3 year period, not everyone needs the latest and greatest

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb