Do articles like this help or hurt WP?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't. The only way Microsoft will be able to get an all positive review with WP is if they give extra effort on the so-called "app gap"

Microsoft needs to focus on devs and reliability of their built in apps like Xbox Music for this to succeed.

I'm a fan of WP. I've been on WP more than I have been with Android or iOS. I'm just saying this in an unbiased view. I don't need a million apps but apparently, there's a huge market for it. Now that I mentioned market, marketing is something MS can't get right.

I want WP to succeed so bad. It's time to target the teenage consumer with apps. The OS has a lot of work to do, still. Especially for the music player. Audio quality is superior to any Android phone on the market and levels itself with the iPhone (based on my 920 and 1520) but the player itself is a disappointment. Today I had two Xbox Music crashes where I need to restart the whole phone for it to work again.

​Windows Phone 8.1 is a huge step in the right direction, hopefully by the end of the year all is well. If WP never takes off, I hope they continue selling these devices because there IS a market for it. It's not heavy on demand but the demand is there.

segasaturn

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the article hurts WP too much. It's more that the reality she mentions in the article is pretty much right. Despite the new HTC phone being a great, solid piece of hardware it probably won't sell well because of the mass market perception of WP.

It's sad to say it but in the case of WP, Perception beats reality.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It certainly doesn't help WP much, but let's be honest here. Who are the people that read such articles? Mostly tech savvy people or those who spend some time and efforts in researching before getting a new device. The majority of smartphone users out there either buy what they're talked into by family and friends or what sales reps recommend. Many of them don't even know what OS they're actually using.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The app gap, yes there perhaps are a few apps but my mrs just got herself a galaxy tab 3 so I thought I would have a look at the apps and the play store to me if full of absolute rubbish. Apps that are just.... well I'm not sure why anyone would want them. Would be nice to see likes of Samsung putting windows on there galaxy 4 (or whatever number they are on now) nice to see htc do what everyone wanted and I'm guessing at not much cost to them as (and I'm no way an IT person) they are just changing the os nothing more, but I'm sure they wont support it like they haven't their 8x and 8s

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Joanna tends to be on the annoying side. I feel like she writes troll bait articles for the most part, and she knows Microsoft pays attention to her stuff because of the little exchange at the SP3 launch event. I am not sure why, but its probably because its WSJ...

Of course it doesn't help.. there nothing positive in there. All the anti-ms jurnos are using that one IDC metric as a basis for a WP doomsday, like Paul Thurrott said: "It's like watching sharks circling blood in the ocean."

Read this, its a proper article: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/how-perception-will-kill-windows-phone

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
The article doesn't help or hurt WP. The columnist actually captures the reality of the situation facing Microsoft very well. Windows Phone is awesome, and is on par with and in some cases surpasses iOS and Android on a functional level. It can do everything and more that those OS's can. Unfortunately, the masses just don't seem to care. The OS is not the main problem, even the app gap is not the main problem. The main problem is that millions and millions of people are already locked in to their respective ecosystems and switching over to Microsoft services is an understandably daunting idea. Most of those people are also just fine with their iOS or Android ecosystems and see no need to switch to a fledgling OS. Another HUGE problem is that Microsoft and the Windows brand are just not 'cool' anymore. The opinion of the masses is king here. People perceive Microsoft and Windows as old, aging, and dying, relics of an era gone by. That is not good for awesome consumer platforms like Windows Phone.

Microsoft needs to do 2 things, somehow.

1) Innovate in making the task of switching ecosystems simple and easy, with just a few clicks or taps.
2) Rebrand Windows Phone.

Without doing those two things I don't see how Windows Phone will survive the next few years. Best case scenario is that Microsoft ditches their proprietary OS and switches to a heavily skinned version of Android or AOSP.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the only thing Microsoft can do at this point would be to make some amazing advancements with Cortana. Otherwise windows phone is going no where and it is only a matter of time before MS has to make a crucial decision.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I didn't really see this as downer.
The writer Joanna Stern seemed somewhat upbeat about the device and Windows phone.
I took this as more of push for WP from a WSJ tech writer.

Anthony112409p

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I didn't really see this as downer.
The writer Joanna Stern seemed somewhat upbeat about the device and Windows phone.
I took this as more of push for WP from a WSJ tech writer.

It seemed immediately strange that this article came from the WSJ, since they have been on what somebody called an "anti-Microsoft jihad" lately. Article after article depicting either doom and gloom or downright antagonism towards MS. This article was actually kind of refreshing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention