Windows RT on low-end laptops/Chromebook competitors?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
One of the arguments for Chromebook is the fact that it's a safe environment in terms of being virus free and simple to use. Unfortunately, one of the perceptual challenges for Windows is its versatility (a strength), namely the risk of people running into viruses, malware, etc.

Could a Threshold version of Windows RT work on devices such as the HP Stream? Logically, I'd say yes, it's a safe and efficient environment that already has an OK catalogue of Windows Store apps and games.

Unfortunately, perception of RT may make this impossible to execute successfully. Microsoft can make the most logical and rationale case imaginable, but if people are stuck on a specific view, it'd be a non-starter.

Could there be a solution in offering an opt-in locked-down mode on regular Windows? Think about an environment where you could only install whitelisted programs (which could be linked from the Store).

Imagine booting up a device for the first time and seeing an option which asks, "Would you like to run Windows in 'Efficiency Mode'... You'll only be able to download apps from the Store... but it'll keep you safe from viruses and your machine like new, forever... you can opt out at any time!"

Could this be a good way to gauge how users truly engage with a Windows RT-like experience (without the perception cloud cast by enthusiasts and tech media)?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'll say this over and over again:

Windows RT will only work on its own when you can do everything from the Modern side.

Though, that Efficiency Mode may fix a lot of troubles that happened in the first place.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Windows RT will only work on its own when you can do everything from the Modern side.

Though, that Efficiency Mode may fix a lot of troubles that happened in the first place.

Indeed. RT still requires access to the desktop for Office and like 75% of Windows settings and configurations. The sooner Microsoft completely removes the desktop from RT, the better. Right now, it only confuses consumers.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Well Threshold will push a lot of the focus back to the desktop, at least for non-touchscreen users. So in theory a 'Windows RT Threshold" should be fine from a functional point-of-view, but the market (out of perception) may end up rejecting it.

Perhaps offering a core function of RT (i.e. locking down and safety) as an option via an "Efficiency Mode" may be a good way to get around that perception.

In fact, a user can only gain from such an arrangement (i.e. the added safety), for non whitelisted apps and services they know are fine, they could disable "EM" temporarily and re-enable it after.

I can see the Efficiency Mode concept working out pretty well in Enterprise, Education, etc.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Full Windows is cheap now and RT can't run desktop apps. So, if the price is similar RT needs many advantages over full Windows to attract buyers. Virus free is not enough. It could be an amazing battery life, 4g, features like storage sense, battery sense, thinner and lighter hardware, always on devices.

Microsoft has to create the market for these devices with the Surface line. The first attempt failed. Maybe a 12-inch cheaper and thinner Surface RT with amazing battery life and free office could do better, or a maybe Surface book. Other option is a really cheap 10-inch hybrid for the low end market with the Lumia brand.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Full Windows is cheap now and RT can't run desktop apps. So, if the price is similar RT needs many advantages over full Windows to attract buyers. Virus free is not enough. It could be an amazing battery life, 4g, features like storage sense, battery sense, thinner and lighter hardware, always on devices.

Microsoft has to create the market for these devices with the Surface line. The first attempt failed. Maybe a 12-inch cheaper and thinner Surface RT with amazing battery life and free office could do better, or a maybe Surface book. Other option is a really cheap 10-inch hybrid for the low end market with the Lumia brand.
Well with these HP Stream-like devices Microsoft could justify Windows RT by pointing to the considerably lower price-points. Think about it, one could theoretically have a $199 laptop that's thin and light, has all day battery life, a good keyboard and 14 inch screen.

If they throw in Office Gemini and are successful in securing a few very key vendors for apps, e.g. solutions for education (e.g. Black Board, Desire2Learn, etc) and enterprise (e.g. Salesforce, Cisco, SAP, etc), they could have a very compelling product. Now it would be a major boon if they somehow got existing Windows Phone apps and games to work on Windows RT/8.x, but nonetheless, it's a solid offering.

Anyways, I'm buying an HP Stream (or similar device) along with one of the new $99 or ultra-cheap Windows tablets. I'll use them to test out the Windows Threshold technology preview and as devices for casual use. I'm excited.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb