Interesting read from a zdnet android switcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm saying that the very reason that android can be rooted implies that it is less secure than say windows phone. You might want to read that less secure part again. I never said that windows phone is unbreakable. But the very reason that windows phone is locked means that hackers and people targeting malware will have to make extra effort and work arounds before they can actually harm a device and that means they need more resources and more time consumption and more difficulty. You don't want to accept that fact, it is totally fine with me.
Of course, I know that android is more targeted because like developers, hackers are targeting OS with more user base.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Someone mentioned the Blackphone as an example of Android security. It's only one of the laggiest and most restrictive phones in the market, and for all the security hackers were able to root one in 5 minutes.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Access to what files and permissions? Dude do you even know what you are talking about? What extra files and permissions does Android give to apps?Android being open does not mean it's easier to viruses in it.

Even the most diehard Android fan acknowledges that Windows Phone 8 is more secure. I have never heard of a Windows Phone 8+ device being 'rooted'. No app has broken out of the multi-layer sandbox mechanism that exists. Apps cannot 'listen' for data from other apps as there are no APIs that enable that. Each app basically runs isolated and that's it. End of story. No viruses, nothing. Which equates to more secure.

I could list about a billion articles about Android being rooted, stealing info from other apps etc. Let's look at CBS News today:

New hack could steal personal information from Gmail, other popular apps - CBS News

Didn't have to go far.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm saying that the very reason that android can be rooted implies that it is less secure than say windows phone. You might want to read that less secure part again. I never said that windows phone is unbreakable. But the very reason that windows phone is locked means that hackers and people targeting malware will have to make extra effort and work arounds before they can actually harm a device and that means they need more resources and more time consumption and more difficulty. You don't want to accept that fact, it is totally fine with me.
Of course, I know that android is more targeted because like developers, hackers are targeting OS with more user base.

The fact that Android can be rooted is an example of how open Android is, not how less secure it is.

Windows Phone isn't as "secure" as you think it is, either. It's just that people haven't attempted very seriously to hack it yet, in fact most regular people haven't even attempted to use a Windows Phone.

Anyways read this article for further information: http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/30...d-vs-blackberry-vs-windows-phone.htm/pgno/0/2

Someone mentioned the Blackphone as an example of Android security. It's only one of the laggiest and most restrictive phones in the market, and for all the security hackers were able to root one in 5 minutes.

1408719480197.jpg

I don't understand when people keep quoting that the phone was hacked, that could be done to any phone given the time and experience.

The Blackphone is a good example of how secure Android could be because of the fact that you can deny app specific permissions, you have encrypted SMS and calling.

If you like redirecting us to articles, here I'll give you a link to one: http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/30...d-vs-blackberry-vs-windows-phone.htm/pgno/0/2

Or wait I'll spare you all the reading and just show you the important stuff:

1408719409459.jpg

1408719452697.jpg

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So rather than pointing out any examples of Windows Phone 8+ lack of security, you post to an article that basically confirms Android is not secure and that Windows Phone is.

Another web search for more recent news feeds about Android lack of security from today:

Android's most popular apps leave you open for attack - htxt.africa

A search for ones about Windows Phone 8 security issues this year:

<none>

Edit: BTW, this is so far OT... sorry OP. That was a refreshing read :)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The fact that Android can be rooted is an example of how open Android is, not how less secure it is.

Windows Phone isn't as "secure" as you think it is, either. It's just that people haven't attempted very seriously to hack it yet, in fact most regular people haven't even attempted to use a Windows Phone.

Anyways read this article for further information: Mobile Security Smackdown: iOS vs. Android vs. BlackBerry vs. Windows Phone - Page: 3 | CRN

View attachment 77979

I don't understand when people keep quoting that the phone was hacked, that could be done to any phone given the time and experience.

The Blackphone is a good example of how secure Android could be because of the fact that you can deny app specific permissions, you have encrypted SMS and calling.

If you like redirecting us to articles, here I'll give you a link to one: Mobile Security Smackdown: iOS vs. Android vs. BlackBerry vs. Windows Phone - Page: 3 | CRN

Or wait I'll spare you all the reading and just show you the important stuff:

View attachment 77977

View attachment 77978
I respect that you are trying to back up android however you are in a wp website so there is going to be a lot of bias. Sorry bro.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Salman,

Your technically indifferent Grandmother wants a smartphone. You're a thousand miles away, without any hope of setting up her phone & advising her (to modify her settings) is an exercise in itself.

Are you recommending she get an Android device & take the default settings ? (We're gonna assume you love your grandma & care very deeply for her)

See, you have about 50% of Android users (probably more) who buy it, because it's the cool phone. They have NO idea what the myriad device settings are. This app LOOKOUT, that came pre-installed, we don't use (or need) that. WOW, that looks like a neat website, it says accept, it wants me to download this browser addon, sure, WHY NOT.

I think you get the point, since grandma isn't rich, we're not gonna duke her into an iPhone, but how much trouble can she get into with a Lumia 520 - a lot less than that $100 Android phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans