The MS tablet situation

Kenneth Fossum

May 31, 2014
Visit site
As a long time Android user I replaced my broken Samsung Galaxy S4 with a Nokia Lumia 925 about 8 months ago. I instantly liked it and now, after the recent updates, I am completely in love. Sure, the device is showing its age a little bit, but the OS has come a long way in less than a year. I am no hardcore app fanatic, so the phone can do what I want it to do and then some. I have the apps I need. I have since left almost all Google services behind and replaced them with MS equivalents. Very happy with the result and haven't looked back.

So, just recently my Nexus 7 (2013) found itself in the middle of a turf war between my 5 year old son and my 3 year old daughter. The loser? My Nexus ?. But, since I had ditched the Google ecosystem I figured it was time to go out and get one of them MS tablets. I don?t want a surface device ? too big. I have a laptop for desktop and productivity related activities. What I want is a tablet in the 8??ish range I can use for entertainment mostly. That?s reading books, email, web, music, video, games and all of that. I don?t need, nor do I want a full Windows desktop combined with something else. I would like the WP 8.1 system on a tablet. Smaller footprint and more storage for me.

I am just surprised by the lack of options when it comes to Windows based tablets ? not including the Surface line. Like I said, pure tablet devices without the Windows desktop. Maybe I am the only one wanting something like that? I see the need and desire to be somewhat productive on a tablet, but you can do that without having the desktop environment, right? Or are Windows users so different from other tablet users? I am not. When I step away from my laptop I am for the most part done working. The desktop apps are less than close to be tablet compatible anyway, so you need a stylus of some sort to be able to use them.

To me it sounds like a no brainer to put WP 8.x on a small tablet and go from there. Sure, name the baby something else ? I don?t care. But if it?s based on the WP code base, I am sure you would have a winner right there. Imagine a Surface Mini based on the WP codebase?to me that would be heaven. I am not suggesting to get rid of the Windows 8.1 based tablets, but offer smaller devices without the desktop ? based on the WP code. Take something that works so remarkably well and put it on a 7/8/9 inch tablet? Who is with me?

Or am I missing something? Maybe I am too stuck in my old ways to see the advantages that the desktop brings with it...I don't know.

No rant, just wondering.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Simple solution seems to be to buy one of the available 8" tablets and just ignore the desktop. If you stick to store apps you wont have to use the desktop but do note, even with an RT device you have to go the desktop to run Office and visit control panel in some cases so whatever Windows tablet you buy today will have some desktop component to it. This wont be the case allegedly with the next version of Windows but tbh I think something like a Dell Venue 8 Pro will fill your needs adequately.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
We probably won't see a complete demarcation between Modern and Desktop until Threshold. There are a few details out there suggesting that Microsoft will ultimately bind the Windows Modern and Windows Phone worlds together into a single Desktop-free environment. The first is the available licensing for a "WiFi-only" Windows Phone device 7 inches and under, and the other is the recent rumours about Microsoft planning to demonstrate a "Threshold on ARM" OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre