Everyone needs to rant sometime. But our anger can be eventually sated with information of what is happening amongst the confusing massages Microsoft seems to have been sending for some time now.

Alot of tech reviewers have complimented Windows Phones on their functionality, but the #1 gripe about Windows it seems is about the apps selection and the quality of the current apps in the store.
    The problem with the apps themselves, is one with the ecosystem. The fault is on developers, who in turn blame Microsoft for a weak ecosystem. There are limited resources going into the overall development of the platform, so most of the time Windows Phone users have to make due.

The most I can say to address the concerns of the market share of Windows Phone is, "People, use the platform!!!". If we keep worrying about apps we will never get anywhere. As more people come on board, the platform will get the attention it needs from developers.

Before, when smartphones New to the market and still in infancy, we didn't have all the apps we have now. But somebody had to use the various platforms in order for the ecosystem to grow to what they are today.

Microsoft is doing great for emerging markets, but for much more mature markets they need to stop the current marketing campaigns, and show people what Windows Phones can do, rather than just showing a celebrity or whoever else using a Windows device.

My question to all today is, what refinements do you think have to be made to the OS, both from a developer and consumer perspective, to future iterations of Windows Phone, including marketing, OEM compatibility or features?

I'll try to compile a few recommendations in this post as they come in. Thank you everyone!

●More developer APIs
    ●Revamped marketing
    ●More Action Center toggles
    ●Interactive Notifications
    ●Interactive LIVE Tiles
    ●Attach-to file option in email
    ●Improved Outlook client, with better sorting and customizability; on par with the web client, and competing services.
    ★Improved multitasking (including downloading in background, and no resuming apps)
    ●Better scaling options for apps (FullHD, HD, FWVGA, FWXGA, etc.)
    ★Improved File management system (including access to camera roll, music etc. for app development)
    ★Background downloading and application capability.
    Last edited by Llordy; 09-11-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Update New Recommendation
    08-22-2014 10:31 PM
    Improve Outlook.com by eliminating folders and embracing labeling as a first-class entity. Provide a kick-*** Outlook.com app. Bring a full competitor to Youtube so that the platform does not continue to be held hostage by Google.
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    08-23-2014 02:40 AM
    Improve Outlook.com by eliminating folders and embracing labeling as a first-class entity. Provide a kick-*** Outlook.com app. Bring a full competitor to Youtube so that the platform does not continue to be held hostage by Google.
    I agree with your suggestions, but with a slight modification to the first.

Namely: Make categories more robust such that we can store all emails in one folder and know what they are.
    Keep folders for the older crowd, and those who prefer to, er, protect themselves from spam.
    Llordy likes this.
    08-23-2014 02:45 AM
    Okay, you want more? I'll give you more.

>Stop screwing up royally on hardware. See Lumia 5/6/930 as a precedent.
    >Make sure Windows 9 is executed correctly.
    >Kill WP7 app support to force people to update their apps to WP8.x support.
    08-23-2014 02:47 AM
    I agree with your suggestions, but with a slight modification to the first.

Namely: Make categories more robust such that we can store all emails in one folder and know what they are.
    Keep folders for the older crowd, and those who prefer to, er, protect themselves from spam.
    I don't care as long as I get the option to have Categories as an equivalent UX to Gmail labels. Also a nice touch in GMail is when you're in the Labeling UI for an email, it has auto-complete so you don't have to hunt and peck for it. These are little touches that make a big difference. Maybe Outlook team should ask for some help from the Visual Studio guys.
    08-23-2014 03:22 AM