Most smartphone users uninterested in apps?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty interesting if valid. The main reason, according to ComScore, is that people tend to use a handful of key apps a lot and don't really care for anything outside that set. Of course, these are monthly figures, I presume people download their 'key apps' from day one, e.g. banks, music streaming services, vendor apps (from restaurants, stores, etc) and so on.

Most smartphone users don't download apps; here are 5 worth snatching - LA Times

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Pretty interesting if valid. The main reason, according to ComScore, is that people tend to use a handful of key apps a lot and don't really care for anything outside that set. Of course, these are monthly figures, I presume people download their 'key apps' from day one, e.g. banks, music streaming services, vendor apps (from restaurants, stores, etc) and so on.

Most smartphone users don't download apps; here are 5 worth snatching - LA Times
I'll go along with that. I've been in this business for more years than most and people are creatures of habit. They don't venture too far away from what is more recognizable and comfortable. Trends have a place which is why digital junk food like Instagram, candy crush and flappy bird get good press but beyond those occasional blips, people don't step out on their own very much. They text, send email, listen to pandora and play a word game or two. That is about all they can physically handle.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with this to some extent. I certainly have more of a pile of apps on my 928 and now Icon than my 520, but yeah.

Day to day is phone, text, email, Facebook, Twitter, IM, WPCentral, calendar, Amazing Weather HD, and usually some photos (I have young kids, what can I say).

Past that I have things like weather radar, a few utilities, a pile of photo apps, a hatred for Other Storage, and dismay at where 8.1 is going.

Le sigh /first world problems

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have over 120 apps installed on my phone. But some of them are not used in months (ex. Team Viewer) , some never used (ex movie maker) and the others few times in a month (ex. Chase Bank)
WhatsApp, WPC, UC browser, one news app, and one game are used everyday.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have over 120 apps installed on my phone. But some of them are not used in months (ex. Team Viewer) , some never used (ex movie maker) and the others few times in a month (ex. Chase Bank)
WhatsApp, WPC, UC browser, one news app, and one game are used everyday.

That's pretty much how it works for me. I have around 100 apps installed. Some I use maybe once a month, others a couple times a week, but 10 or so of them I use multiple times per day. However, I wouldn't say that the apps I use even once a month are not important. They are.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there are some of the photo apps, that maybe fill a niche that I like. Could see the same with a banking app, for example -- might not be everyday, but regular usage.

I use the Loyalty Cards app since all of my keychain cards are long since disintegrated. Really annoying to not have that at Kroger if you need it.

One thing we need: MOBILE EFFIN PAYMENTS!

WHERE ARE THEY?!?!

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Apps are important. Just ask the people over at the Crackberry forum. Those poor people don't even have Netflix or half the other apps some of us take for granted on WP.

Obviously I don't think 1000 flashlight apps, 2000 "Make your phone look like an IPhone" apps, or 20000 wallpaper apps like in the Google store do much for the average user, but there are some essential apps like banking apps, entertainment apps, productivity apps, and game apps that every OS should strive to have if they are going to be successful and give their users a good experience. WP has come a long way, but we are still not quite there yet. Soon though!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
LOL @ "1000 flashlight apps, 2000 "Make your phone look like an IPhone" apps, or 20000 wallpaper apps".

Very interesting responses so far.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been in this business for more years than most.
I already had a funny feeling that you would be a dinosaur ;-)
I feel like a youngster hahaha
But i must agree with your statement.
Most people use wat's familiar or what friends use.
I believe that age has also something to do with it.
Influence of friends, schoolyard and so on and so on.
When they entering the "smartphoneworld" its always ( mostly ) starting with a messenger ( whatsapp is in my country populair ), facebook and some games like angry birds or asphalt.
Some of them are realy looking for new stuf, but thats mostly for a short time unless a new hype comming up like you said with flappy bird.
I am one of the few who dares to try something new, have opted for a couple of beta programs ( now only just one ).
But indeed the most apps i own are Droidcounterparts of the ones i used for a very long time.
I even let one ( a forummember ) rebuild a droid app special for wp, i know a lot of things and one of them is that i know that i cant write code, not like that.
The people i know with a windowsdevice dont even know about the previews and were surprised with a suden update.
Something we new months ago that it would happen and what is was.

There are a few type of people.
The average user, dont care a less as long if it works
The somewhat advance user, the ones who nearly discovered how to change there wallpapers and other settings.
The superuser, knowing there phone in and out and know what they are doing.
And the wanabee techsavie superuser, Pretent they know there phone in and out, but dont know what they are doing.

btw how's your 920 doing with the new update, or stil having nightmares ;-)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
There are a few type of people.
The average user, dont care a less as long if it works
The somewhat advance user, the ones who nearly discovered how to change there wallpapers and other settings.
The superuser, knowing there phone in and out and know what they are doing.
And the wanabee techsavie superuser, Pretent they know there phone in and out, but dont know what they are doing.

So true Lol!

I would be in the 4th cattlegory...
:smile:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think this really goes back to the need of having the "core apps" on the platform, e.g. local banks, entertainment services, vendor apps (for restaurants) and so on. If the platform 'works' then it works, regardless of how many are using it or how many flashy apps or games come to it on time.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the one point that I have used to convince people to try WP. When they bring up the app gap, I ask them how many different apps they use in a month. Most say about 15. (bear in mind these are average folk, not phone nerds like us). The app gap is way overblown

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I can agree with this article. I have my essentials and they are my go to apps. It was very seldom that I downloaded new apps on my phone. And I play very few games on my devices so those aren't a big deal either.

Not to say that there aren't a few that im very patiently waiting on that are really more of a convenience than anything.

Sent from my...

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Agree. But I don't think that's the problem now. Now the problem is quality of apps. That said, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and many other official apps aren't on par with the Android and iOS versions when it comes to quality. I agree, there are beautiful third party alternatives like booklet for Facebook, Tweet it and Tweetium for Twitter and 6tag for Instagram and so on. But that only we, tech savvy people know. Not the average people. Some people I know who own WPs don't even follow WPCentral. That way, even after 8.1 they were in the impression that WP didn't get the File Manager in 8.1. And when I told them 'Files' I now available, they couldn't even search it on the store. And I had to send them the link. Most people are just like this. Even people who use Androids, only do Facebook, WhatsApp, Line some bunch of chat apps, downloading movies, listening music and somewhat web browsing. People here don't even know their phone has Google Now. Nonetheless, they never use it. And still, when looking at my phone say, 'Dude, your phone got less apps, right??'. And I'm like see my phone and see who has more apps. Then I show them awesome Booklet, Tweet it, 6tag, Nokia Camera, Cortana, Reading list, Unibeam and boy they are amazed!!

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well that would be interesting to convince folks: How many apps do you use in your phone? Ya well since you're not using much why not a Windows Phone? At least you'll have an attractive phone :p

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I only have about 20 apps and of those, only about 6 are used regularly. The others are more like once a month apps or "just in case" apps like my OBD2 analyzer, Dunkin Donuts app (can never be out of coffee range when visiting new places) or Here Drive if I get called to some out of town emergency.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone is missing the real reason that people want all these extra apps available on their platform. One word - convenience. I don't need a lot of apps everyday, but when the time comes that I might need/want one of these apps, it sure would be nice to have them available for use. And good quality/well maintained apps at that. This is why we NEED these to succeed.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't use many apps but I wish my college's app was on WP... it's tedious to go to the website to check stuff and I almost always get logged out when changing pages.

Otherwise I'm good with Hulu, Blue Skies, Facebook, and Mixradio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss