Been thinking a bit about the overall package that is Windows 8/8.1 Windows Phone and Xbox One and the strategy that Microsoft have to take to counter the competition when the competition don't play fair....

So what do I mean by that, Microsoft got caught with it's pants down over the rise of "Smart" mobile devices, yet at the same time Microsoft had products in place that where far more powerful than the competition, unfortunately at the same time as it was more powerful it was also far too complex for the general public.

Microsoft had tablets way before the iPad, they had Windows 6.5 for mobile devices, incredibly powerful, but unless the likes of HTC put a skin on it, the general punter was lost.

They like Blackberry had keyboard equipped mobile devices (Well the OS that runs them, just about every delivery man carries one, an XDA with 6.5 as the OS) when that wasn't what the mass public wanted. So we find threads on here asking questions like these:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...dont-suck.html

http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...-keyboard.html

I used to run an email and Internet company, it was very small serving a small geographic area with a fantastic domain for that area, I had a few hundred customers, I thought and still think I provided a great service for them, but I must mention one customer, he would call me up and ask does the service support this or that, I would spend days sorting out a way for him to achieve what he wanted, only to find out weeks later he had gone off that idea, in the end I actually asked him to leave the system.

What I am trying to say is Microsoft have had to come to terms with a world that no longer wants massive programs that come with a book larger than war and peace as an instruction manual (Yes I have worked with them), they want simple APPS that work, they want a smart phone so they don't have to be smart.

Blackberry have or maybe they have already ditched keyboarded phones now, but where are they, just about out of the game, they got left behind, so do they keep on making the devices that the few want, or do they go for the mass market, in Blackberries case they left it too late. I had a Blackberry Pearl, wonderful phone it was, but would I buy it again, no I wouldn't.

I like the email app, it works, its simple, in fact I like just about everything that Microsoft have done since 8.1, the underlying logic is very good, there is so much in it, but presented in a way that works for the general public, yes Microsoft could make a phone with a keyboard, yes they could make an email app/program that has every bell and whistle on, it's not as though they haven't already had these programs, but they do have to sell the stuff to the general public, who when presented with a tablet with no instruction manual that is crap compared to the Surface will buy the cheapest thing even though it's crap, because it's simple.

Maybe Microsoft have taken the same decision that I made with my customer. Yes they have probably made a few mistakes along the way, so even though everyone is copying the Metro design MS looks like they are going to bring back menu's for W9.

Personally I really like what they have done, I have a setup that is so advanced, works, does almost everything I could wish it to and it's so easy, I can now be dumb again and I am enjoying it, I just hope MS don't press the panic button too much and maybe learn to sell things properly

Bob
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-24-2014 01:39 AM
    I think in many cases Microsoft did get it. For example, automatic uploading to OneDrive of best quality photos whenever one is connected to WiFi is easy and just works. It's a lot easier than connecting a device via USB and saving the photos on a HDD. Doing backups of photos was something that was a pain when I used BlackBerry. Now I just take pictures and forget about them, since they're in OneDrive, and I can even make prints of my OneDrive photos using the Walgreens app.

I think OneDrive is great, but Microsoft does not do enough to promote just how useful and easy it is.
    08-24-2014 01:57 AM
    Spot on Laura, please don't think I am having a go at my wife here, over the years she has had more PC's and phones than me, she would take pictures, then the device would be changed/die and the pictures lost/left all over the place. Luckily for her I would find all of the pictures/documents and back them up.

Now she heads out with her phone, takes a picture, when she gets home she starts the Xbox, opens OneDrive and she can view the latest picture and all her pictures (Including all the ones I have saved over the years) and she can do this from every device. So simple so I can spend my time watching Match of the day (On my Xbox) in piece.

I can see me heading out and buying her, her own Xbox One very soon and for once not actually having her moan at me for spending too much money

Bob
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-24-2014 02:25 AM
    For Windows 8.1, File History is another easy feature that works great. I like File History better than the Windows 7 Backup and Restore, since File History runs every hour, rather than once a week.

That's another feature that Microsoft doesn't promote enough.
    08-24-2014 02:56 AM
    For Windows 8.1, File History is another easy feature that works great. I like File History better than the Windows 7 Backup and Restore, since File History runs every hour, rather than once a week.

That's another feature that Microsoft doesn't promote enough.
    This.

I'd never go back to manual backups now. Well, unless what I'm about to do is really important.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-24-2014 03:34 AM

Blackberry have or maybe they have already ditched keyboarded phones now, but where are they, just about out of the game, they got left behind, so do they keep on making the devices that the few want, or do they go for the mass market, in Blackberries case they left it too late. I had a Blackberry Pearl, wonderful phone it was, but would I buy it again, no I wouldn't.

Bob
    Funny thing about BlackBerry is that they are still big with enterprises and governments. My employer, a bank of 40K employees, with locations in North America and Asia upgraded to the new BlackBerry 10. Let's say 10k devices as not every employee gets one.

Germany, NATO, Pentagon (iPhone / Android devices are only used for unsecured data). Then there is the entire QNX wing that does the embedded OS for most cars on the road today, CarPlay and Android Auto both use QNX. Hospital equipment, trains, the ISS, etc etc.

BlackBerry consumer side is slipping, but their focus is now enterprise, and governments. Enterprises and governments don't wait for $0 sales to buy a phone, consumers do. Better place for BlackBerry to be in. In the end, android will wipe out iOS and WP. How can you compete with a brand new phone with pretty good specs for your avg consumer for dirt cheap. It's a race to the bottom for others...imho.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30
    08-24-2014 11:22 AM