08-27-2014 12:32 AM
42 12
tools
    Seems a tad ccounter productive to ***** about that sort of thing doesn't it?
    Not taking sides, just pointing out that not all negative posts should automatically be labeled as anti WP when some are just fans just like any other but frustrated. If the Yankees have a bad season you don't say "fine go support another team if you don't like it" to a fan who thinks the team management screwed a few things up.

Some dissent and discussion should be welcomed as long as it's civil.
    Guytronic, Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    08-25-2014 01:49 PM
    Why people "tired" of WP have not changed to iOS or Android?

It is weird, if I'm not satisfied with my phone, the first thing I will do is jump out and buy another phone with another OS.
    If everyone did this the marker share would've dropped even further, to the point where it probably would've killed Windows Phone.

A lot of people complain and if there complaints are genuine Microsoft accepts it.

People asked for a File Manager for a very long time and Microsoft finally delivered in Windows Phone 8.1, if people that needed a file manager instead of complaining went back to Android, would that have benefitted Microsoft in any way?

You need to logically think about it.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    08-25-2014 07:41 PM
    If everyone did this the marker share would've dropped even further, to the point where it probably would've killed Windows Phone.

A lot of people complain and if there complaints are genuine Microsoft accepts it.

People asked for a File Manager for a very long time and Microsoft finally delivered in Windows Phone 8.1, if people that needed a file manager instead of complaining went back to Android, would that have benefitted Microsoft in any way?

You need to logically think about it.
    It would help microsoft realise that they have to release a file manager ASAP or they will lose sales.
    salmanahmad likes this.
    08-26-2014 04:31 AM
    It would help microsoft realise that they have to release a file manager ASAP or they will lose sales.
    Yes exactly! If enough people complain Microsoft had to add the feature. If everyone retreated to Android or iOS, Windows Phone would be probably be dead.
    08-26-2014 04:43 AM
    Not taking sides, just pointing out that not all negative posts should automatically be labeled as anti WP when some are just fans just like any other but frustrated. If the Yankees have a bad season you don't say "fine go support another team if you don't like it" to a fan who thinks the team management screwed a few things up.

Some dissent and discussion should be welcomed as long as it's civil.
    Good point. :)
    08-26-2014 06:48 AM
    I'm negative towards Xbox Music. Kind of a deal breaker for me.. One thing I'm asking is for Microsoft to get it right.. I love Windows Phone but Xbox Music persuades me away. I'm fine if there's a better alternative but there's none.

With that, I am changing OSes if they don't get it right.. But after a year of course. In my opinion, except for Xbox Music, this has been the GREATEST mobile OS ever. I've used iOS, it's great but I wont pay extra 200 bucks for the 64GB version, no ma'am. Android is alright but I don't like the feel of it although I still keep an Android device for reading and schooling. If Microsoft gets their pieces together with RT, I'd get it no doubt.
    Paul May likes this.
    08-26-2014 06:56 AM
    Ya I think if android can release some stable nd ram efficient software it can easily conquer wp low end market share.which is not child's play.full credit to ms for making wp a great experience even in low end.
    WP achieves this by putting ridiculous limitations on app background activity (why we can't have background downloads) and by significantly restricting what developers can do with the available APIs. Not through being magically better "optimised" in some way. You will also find that games like Asphalt and other heavyweights will lag or have worse graphics quality on such hardware - no matter how you gimp the OS, games still require CPU/RAM grunt that doesn't appear magically out of nowhere.

So yeah, the experience is better at the cost of capabilities and features. This will of course be no problem to many users, but I have too many niche needs and depend on my phone for too many things to accept WP's limitations.
    08-26-2014 08:10 AM
    WP achieves this by putting ridiculous limitations on app background activity (why we can't have background downloads).
    Your post would make sense if the above were true. WP has supported background downloads for years. It's even publicly documented on MSDN. Developers just have to use it. The APIs aren't that restrictive anymore either...

Things change...
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    08-26-2014 08:34 AM
    That all depends on how things are said. If someone just keeps saying, on this forum for example "Oh WP is crap, etc. etc." then maybe it's because they're on contract or something that keeps them from changing.

But, sometimes, people are considered negative when they complain about this or that. But if they love Windows Phone and wish some things would be better, then there's no reason to dismiss them as just being negative. Sometimes criticism is a good thing. That's how Windows Phone ended up with a notification center and folders for instance.

But like I said, it all depends how it's said (said said said said).
    08-26-2014 09:06 AM
    Your post would make sense if the above were true. WP has supported background downloads for years. It's even publicly documented on MSDN. Developers just have to use it. The APIs aren't that restrictive anymore either...

Things change...
    But why IE can't download in background.
    Or at least buffer video?

Still feel like generation behind OS.

I saw an Android phone.
    If you download any file android it shows download status in notification.
    That's very cool & convenient feature.

WP must implemented something like this and make OS more productive.
    08-26-2014 09:17 AM
    But why IE can't download in background.
    Or at least buffer video?

I saw an Android phone.
    If you download any file android it shows download status in notification.
    That's very cool & convenient feature.

To be fair, I'm a huge Android supporter that may make people think I'm biased against Windows Phone(I'm not).

But I'll give credit to Windows Phone here, they've added downloading of videos and other files into Internet Explorer in Windows Phone 8.1, it works even in the background.

But IMO Android's background services are still better, especially the progress bar and estimated time in the notification tray. ๐Ÿ‘
    08-26-2014 09:24 AM
    To be fair, I'm a huge Android supporter that may make people think I'm biased against Windows Phone(I'm not).

But I'll give credit to Windows Phone here, they've added downloading of videos and other files into Internet Explorer in Windows Phone 8.1, it works even in the background.

But IMO Android's background services are still better, especially the progress bar and estimated time in the notification tray. ๐Ÿ‘
    Still can't buffer video in background.
    Poor download UI.

I purchased 3 Nokia phones.
    2 were great(Nokia 6303 & Nokia 5800)

L620 still little bit disappointing.
    Still feels like a downgrade.

I wrongly bought this phone.
    That was the price if you buy your favorite brand without doing any research.(to be honest first two devices also bought without doing any research)

I have $450 which I saved for Nexus but my laptop crashed a week ago.

Now I have to saves my pocket money again. ๐Ÿ˜ข
    salmanahmad likes this.
    08-26-2014 10:19 AM
    Some people just like to complain and nothing will make them happy sometimes I guess they prefer to be in a constant irritable state (have dealt with a few clients like this, some of my friends are like this as well). Unfortunately they are not aware of how they come across to other people, that bubble will never pop.

On the flipside, there are people who want the platform to succeed however are genuinely frustrated, as more than often cannot express themselves in a clear and concise manner (as they are at that level, when they just rant away). There are little niggles with windows phone that people rarely talk about it and when you have spent over 300+ on a phone, you would expect it to just work.. would you not?

For example, you can only attach one document via the office hub and cannot attach documents from the email hub. So you cannot attach emails to a reply, unless you copy the email into a new email, attach the file and send. With WP 8.1 we can now go to the directory and send the file, however still cannot attach with-in a reply. I can assure you, I was frustrated as well when I first got my phone and after awhile I found what worked best for me as I am in this for the long haul (otherwise I wouldn't have bought my 920 for full price [Just over 500]). Never the less we shouldn't be sending attachments but sending secure links instead, unfortunately old habits aren't easy to kick.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-26-2014 02:54 PM
    For now my big threat is to keep the 920 for another year. I've been eyeing the LG G3 - would be great to have that camera with WP. What I really want is something like the Lumia 930 on AT&T. The WP OS has been AOK for me ever since 8.1, esp the keyboard and notification center.
    08-26-2014 03:07 PM
    As a long time Android & iOS user I'm now using a 1520 more and more and absolutely loving it. Stunning screen & great battery life and camera. And all the key apps I need are there (or I've found other options). The more I use WP, the more I'm enjoying it.
    08-26-2014 04:19 PM
    But why IE can't download in background. Or at least buffer video?

I saw an Android phone. If you download any file android it shows download status in notification. That's very cool & convenient feature.

Well, at least for file transfers running over HTTP, doing so in the background has been possible ever since WP7.1 (see this). Why more apps don't use that feature I don't know. We've all seen it in action when downloading apps from the store. I often feel the whole "WP has restrictions blah blah" mantra has become ridiculously overused at this point. Once that was true, but now I think a lot of developers are just using it to excuse themselves from doing their job properly, primarily because it's an easy sell. Sure, MS can still make some improvements, but it's rarely a valid excuse these days, particularly for the type of things discussed in these forums.

With WP8.1 the OS now supports the same background file transfer facilities as WinRT (see this, or this if you just want to read about the differences to earlier versions of WP). I don't know if that sort of convergence will get more developers to use the OS features available to them, but it's ultimately up to them to do so.

Anyway, I agree that many of the apps still feel like they are a generation behind. However, I disagree with you that this is the fault of the OS. At least most of the time, it's the apps themselves.
    DoctorSaline and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-26-2014 05:02 PM
    Because they want WP to be great, and not blunder around with what should be simple issues like Xbox Music that isn't worse than WP7's Zune. People are hard on WP when it fails to meet its potential. But it will take more than that to make me go back to some icon grid. There are a LOT of reasons to prefer another platform, and WP's flaws are some of them. But there are more compelling reasons to stick with WP for those of us who choose to do so, even if we feel MS could be doing a better job making our choice even more rewarding.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with WP, and just wish Audible would fix their app already. 99% of my headaches as a result of being a WP user are Audible's fault. The other thing WP needs is for Lumias to stop releasing downgrade-y upgrades. If my last phone had feature X, then my upgrade should too. So far the only strict upgrade up from my 920 is the 928 (better flash) and the 1520.3. Every other Lumia forgot something.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-27-2014 12:32 AM
42 12