We now have 300,000+ apps

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It has been a month now, nearly since we hit 300k apps in the Store.

I started off this thread earlier in WP8.1 asking what mattered most to us: Quality or Quantity?

Microsoft reckons 300k will increase significantly as most of the new apps now will be "Universal Apps". This in turn should also boost Windows Store. However, we are struggling with functionality more than quantity.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Numbers to me mean nothing.

I want quality and functionality. I'll take that over anything else. Have the latest apps/games and all the functionality and you'll have people switching. Don't and you'll always look like the dog with one leg missing that nobody wants.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly mind there being x amount of Facebook or Flashlight apps in the store, those ones with the best reviews should rise to the top (if we ignore the fake reviews).

However, quality is an issue. It's hard to penalise "junk" apps like flashlight, Facebook apps if they're working within the WP ethos - people starting out in app development need encouragement after all. The thing that does need addressing is apps that do nothing more than wrap a mobile web site or attempt to make people pay for freely accessible information. Worst still, I've seen apps that stream pirated movies (and I found those in the "New+Rising Apps" section of the store).

I guess that Microsoft are slacking off on the app approval stage in order to bump up the number of apps, and then waving that 300k number in the face of established developers/corporations as a way of saying "we have numbers, we're important".

To be honest, I hardly ever browse the Windows Phone Store because it's full of things that are irrelevant to me. I'll pick up new apps if they're highlighted on WPCentral.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
300000 apps and only one video player that can play .mkv file.

I can bet if we categorize these 300K apps
Most app will be camera apps.

I am still struggling to find a decent facebook app.
And a music apps and.................. ok I think I am getting little emotional here.

So, we have 300000 apps
Now all WP fans can die in peace

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather have 3000 excellent apps than have to wade through the muck of 297K awful fake/spam crap... It's time to start deleting bad apps MS...

Genesis Coupe

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I prefer quality over anything. I look at my wifes iPhone and my previous 10 iPhones and everything had/has great features and works amazing. I also see my co-workers androids and sometimes it makes me jealous to see their awesome working apps vs. some of my crap apps. But I do admit. The great working apps on the wp store work wonders vs the apple/android versions. Just hope we keep getting better and better.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Quality and quantity are not exclusive to each other when speaking of app stores. When you have higher 3rd party developer support you will get more cruft, but at the same time when you have 20 music apps to choose from you're more likely to find one that suits YOU personally than you will if there's 5.

That's just a general example to make a point in case anyone mistakes the type of app and the numbers as being a specific argument.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett