Threshold is aptly named

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Because I think this release could also be a threshold for MS as well. Since they've chosen to eschew running 2 separate OS's for computer and mobile MS really does need to get this right. Both the mobile and PC aspects of Windows 9 are going to have to come out swinging. If there's dissatisfaction with the desktop, they're going to irritate an audience already unhappy with Windows 8. They can't afford not to do a good job on touchscreen after the sales performance of the Surface and WP either.

This is going to be a ballsy move by MS but also a risky one because it puts them in a difficult position. I don't know how well MS can afford to be seen as a company that drew fire for Windows 8 AND 9, as well as fighting to compete in mobile through wp7, wp8, RT, and Threshold, and losing 2014 to Sony on consoles. It just seems to me that if threshold doesn't nail it, MS could end up being at the receiving end of the worst press and critical reviews they've ever experienced. Crossing fingers because I don't personally want to see that happen.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Trust me, it's far less dramatic than you're trying to make it sound like lol. It's an internal code name and is named after a planet in Halo. Nice try with the FUD though...

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'll finally get around to upgrading from my 1999 Compaq Presario 5304 running Windows 98 if threshold can deliver on it's promises. I do have Windows 8.1 on my Surface 2 Pro and my Lenovo Laptop, and I use a WP, so it's not like I'm completely stuck in 1999. However, it would be nice to upgrade my desktop computer to the 21st Century, so I am awaiting Windows 9 with a lot of excitement.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Oh, I see. You're "that" guy. You know. The one who reads all posts like they have to be ****** vs troll wars if they voice anything that doesn't amount to "omg can do no wrong, I luv you, you soulmate collection of circuits and solder!"
I'm betting you'd actually really and sincerely be happier if I actually edited this thread to say that instead.

Here's something for you to chew on: I heard Paul Thurott say on Windows Weekly that he believes that this is going to be difficult for MS to pull off. That's what prompted me to start this discussion. But hey, if you're that set on wearing a tinfoil hat and believing this is a FUD conspiracy then be my guest.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I see. You're "that" guy. You know. The one who reads all posts like they have to be ****** vs troll wars if they voice anything that doesn't amount to "omg can do no wrong, I luv you, you soulmate collection of circuits and solder!"
I'm betting you'd actually really and sincerely be happier if I actually edited this thread to say that instead.

Here's something for you to chew on: I heard Paul Thurott say on Windows Weekly that he believes that this is going to be difficult for MS to pull off. That's what prompted me to start this discussion. But hey, if you're that set on wearing a tinfoil hat and believing this is a FUD conspiracy then be my guest.

Again with the dramatics lol. Obviously trying to please their 1.5 billion customers is going to be difficult. Since we're bringing up Windows Weekly, MJF also gave them slack on it saying that it's almost impossible to (for example) make a pizza for 1.5 billion people because no two people like exactly the same thing, but saying that they're on the "threshold" is a little bit of a stretch. There are things in Windows 8 that I don't like and there's sure to be things in Windows 9 that I don't like, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "******; omg can do no wrong" thing.

"Threshold will be important for Microsoft" is fine
"What do you think of Threshold? I personally think XYZ" is fine
But "Threshold is a great name because with this, Microsoft is on the Threshold" is a little bit of a stretch no?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs