Let's discuss this Google vs Microsoft War ( because we're the ones losing :p )

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
And by we I mean us windows phone users . I don't care who started , I don't care who's wrong and who's right , all I know is , I'm tired of WP/W8 being treated as a second class citizen by google , and even though the blame is on google , MS is the one responsible for enhancing the platform's status , so I went ahead and did one of these
Make amends with google – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
( I'm not sure if it has been done before , but what gives )
PS : I know google has been ****** with YouTube but to be fair so has Microsoft with the scroogled thing ( I mean targeting google actually makes them even more popular , but saying like for example "superior" or "more secure" than " other products" is a better approach imo , but i'm not marketing expert so my opinion isn't that important I guess :p )
Oh and twitter users , feel free to create a hashtag to use, that'd be useful

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally believe that Google is strategically opposed to the existence of Microsoft. They support MS platform only where there are a large market presence - Windows & XBox. Otherwise, if they could wave a wand and have MS disappear, they would.

That said - Google makes superior software & services in a number of areas that I have actively chosen over the years over MS.

F.e., Search, Browser, Maps, Mail, Calendar.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That said - Google makes superior software & services in a number of areas that I have actively chosen over the years over MS.

Browser , Mail and Calendar is debatable , especially Mail ( Outlook is way ahead of Gmail imo , try it out , you won't regret it )
Search and Maps : well they've been way longer in the game and MS is investing more in search and Bing is catching up ( at least the US bing which I use for my English searches ) with the push of Cortana that's going to become even more apparent ;
Maps : depends on where you but I personally prefer here maps and wish I could install it on my android ( hopefully to be replaced with a lumia 920 : students can't spend a small fortune on a phone ) because is it's superior in my region (north Africa , and from my previous reads the developing world in general due to the typical US centrism by the big 3)

lonewolfe2015

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
We're never going to get official support. So instead why not create some bounties for developers to provide the lack of support? I'd give $50 to a solid google hangouts app through an in-app donation upon inspection of it...

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Google has acquired over 160 companies! On an average its been acquiring 1 company per week since 2010. Google works because of that

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't blame Google for being greedy and not supporting the competition, but I don't miss Google services at all. I do use YouTube, but with MetroTube, which I like better than the YouTube app on Android. In fact, the other day someone asked how I was finding answers faster than they were. I explained I was using Bing, not Google. Priceless expression on their face.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Providing Google services is up to Google.

The only alternative Microsoft has is take on Google Search by driving worldwide Bing adoption. I'm not sure what Microsoft is doing in that regard, but it's clear Bing isn't anywhere near as pervasive or prolific in the international market as Google. And unfortunately, the current Microsoft isn't run by people seeking to take Google head-on, they'd sooner buy iPhones (or even Androids) than fight Google, IMHO.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I agreed with OP.

MS done mistakes in marketing by comparing their products with Google specially where they got upper hand.
For example - I didn't know about Chrome book until MS made an ad on it comparing with Windows.
Man why do you compare with a competitive product which has nearly 1% market share and MS comparing it with their product which has 90% plus market share.
It's more like they were promoting them.
Have Google ever compare Bing with it's search engine.

As far as I know Google never make fun or compare it's product with MS.
But MS always make fun and compare their products with Google.

And it's understandable that Google doesn't support WP because of it's small market share(2.5%)
Which company support it's competitors.(it's a business not charity)

Isn't MS done same with Linux which has almost same market share as WP.

Last edited:

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm planning on ditching Gmail for and make my Live account my primary Email.

Both are on par and at least I wouldn't be left with a mediocre app with Microsoft Live on my WP.

What Google is doing doesn't bother me except for Gmail. When Nadella implements this unified OS, I'm going all out on Microsoft and say goodbye to Google. Of course, I'll use YouTube but there's an app for that.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Google, IMHO, doesn't hate WP8. If Google wanted to "hurt" a competitor, Apple would be the logical target. Google loves to provide iOS resources though.

It boils down to eyeballs (aka marketshare). The day Android doesn't provide ROI, Google can and will ditch it.

When MSFT gets a bigger chunk of the mobile space, services will come. When it comes to its core business, Google does not harbor ill will.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on ditching Gmail for and make my Live account my primary Email.

Both are on par and at least I wouldn't be left with a mediocre app with Microsoft Live on my WP.

What Google is doing doesn't bother me except for Gmail. When Nadella implements this unified OS, I'm going all out on Microsoft and say goodbye to Google. Of course, I'll use YouTube but there's an app for that.

I never understood Gmail problem.
Why users are looking for gmail app.

Gmail in WP is as good as outlook.
Just go to people and login Gmail a/c.

Don't you guys know about it?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally believe that Google is strategically opposed to the existence of Microsoft. They support MS platform only where there are a large market presence - Windows & XBox. Otherwise, if they could wave a wand and have MS disappear, they would.

I don't think userbase matters to Google. I know for a fact that Windows Phone has more users yearning for YouTube than Xbox One or even Xbox 360. For some reason Google just wants to see Microsoft dead.

Sometimes I do wish Microsoft had maniacal people in charge. The kind who would take Bing and then relentlessly troll Google with it... Bing Maps, Office Online, Outlook, Skype, etc, everywhere, worldwide, to everyone.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't think userbase matters to Google. I know for a fact that Windows Phone has more users yearning for YouTube than Xbox One or even Xbox 360. For some reason Google just wants to see Microsoft dead.

Sometimes I do wish Microsoft had maniacal people in charge. The kind who would take Bing and then relentlessly troll Google with it... Bing Maps, Office Online, Outlook, Skype, etc, everywhere, worldwide, to everyone.
It's business.And what Google is doing is pure business.

Any other company will do same as what google did.

But first you have to understand the way business done.
Google do not hold any grudge against MS.
It's just that they both are competitor's.
About Xbox.
Google isn't in game consoles business so they do not have problem in providing their services but Google is in smartphone business.
It's very simple to understand this.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Browser , Mail and Calendar is debatable , especially Mail ( Outlook is way ahead of Gmail imo , try it out , you won't regret it )
Search and Maps : well they've been way longer in the game and MS is investing more in search and Bing is catching up ( at least the US bing which I use for my English searches ) with the push of Cortana that's going to become even more apparent ;
Maps : depends on where you but I personally prefer here maps and wish I could install it on my android ( hopefully to be replaced with a lumia 920 : students can't spend a small fortune on a phone ) because is it's superior in my region (north Africa , and from my previous reads the developing world in general due to the typical US centrism by the big 3)

Gmail has better search than Outlook.com. Otherwise, I wouldn't call either 'superior', they are both equally powerful. I had no problems moving to outlook.com from gmail.
About bing search, it's still not all that great. Whenever I try searching for something with the phone, it uses bing, and I can't find what I'm looking for even if I change the query, where with google the result I'm looking for is usually top 3.
About Chrome, I wouldn't use that even if Firefox suddenly became unavailable, I only stick with Firefox because of many extentions and plugins, and if that's gone, I'd just stick to IE or Opera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb