Let's discuss this Google vs Microsoft War ( because we're the ones losing :p )

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I feel google wants wp to die because major phones that android run are low cost devices which are laggy but has apps.windows phone too have their share in the low end.in the low end segment it is Ms which gives you smooth experience not android.so google does not want to loose low end consumers for WP.That is why they want to kill wp.Apple  is always top in high end which google cant do any thing.they will remain high end at least for 10 years.
That's something. MS is the 300 lb gorilla in the room. It will be for some time to come. For all intents in purposes google is an upstart with a product it wants to protect. It won't take much to kill them off and they know it. Microsoft could hinder a lot of google revenue by choking off what chrome can do on the desktop. Using basically the same excuse google used to remove youtube from WP (advertizing) but for whatever reason they don't make moves like that. I suspect something else is amiss from Microsoft.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I feel google wants wp to die because major phones that android run are low cost devices which are laggy but has apps.windows phone too have their share in the low end.in the low end segment it is Ms which gives you smooth experience not android.so google does not want to loose low end consumers for WP.That is why they want to kill wp.Apple 🍎 is always top in high end which google cant do any thing.they will remain high end at least for 10 years.
Google doesn't want Windows Phone to die, if it did then Google would have never released a YouTube app in the first place.

Android rules the sales of smart phones, they really have nothing to be afraid of.

This argument is flawed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't want Windows Phone to die, if it did then Google would have never released a YouTube app in the first place.

Android rules the sales of smart phones, they really have nothing to be afraid of.

This argument is flawed.

I believe the current YouTube app is written by Microsoft with the blessing of Google. At one point Microsoft released a really nice version of it with downloads and the likes but Google chewed them up and forced the current near web wrapper. Which is better than nothing, but not the same as Google trying to promote their services on the platform.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do they though? You don't see Google launching attack ads and campaigns against Microsoft. By looking at whats taken place the last couple of years, I would say Microsoft is the one that's butthurt. Google simply pretends that Microsoft doesn't exist.

Exactly. When you're the dominant one, you can just pretend the chasers don't exist. Lest no one forget, in mobile Apple/Google are dominant and MS is a chaser. Forever chasing.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This argument is flawed.

I honestly don't think Google cares if Windows Phone succeeds or not. They are so focused on what they do(Android/Chrome) and their Google X stuff that there is no time to be thinking about MS.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
And by we I mean us windows phone users . I don't care who started , I don't care who's wrong and who's right , all I know is , I'm tired of WP/W8 being treated as a second class citizen by google , and even though the blame is on google , MS is the one responsible for enhancing the platform's status , so I went ahead and did one of these
Make amends with google – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
( I'm not sure if it has been done before , but what gives )
PS : I know google has been ****** with YouTube but to be fair so has Microsoft with the scroogled thing ( I mean targeting google actually makes them even more popular , but saying like for example "superior" or "more secure" than " other products" is a better approach imo , but i'm not marketing expert so my opinion isn't that important I guess :p )
Oh and twitter users , feel free to create a hashtag to use, that'd be useful

No offense but this is just na?ve. I would suggest you really should read up on the situation. This is not a war (hate when people apply that to business) and neither company cares in the least about stupid commercials, etc., etc.. Google is engaging in an aggressive monopolistic policy not unlike that which got Microsoft in court more than a decade ago. It is about ensuring Google has control over the mobile market and they will use whatever means are necessary to achieve that goal.

There are no amends to be made since this is not about personality, hurt feelings, or misunderstandings. Google will continue its effort to control the mobile operating system market by proxy (the difference from Microsoft's direct OS dominance in non-mobile) and will make it difficult to use their services from another platform not named ios. If Microsoft wants to make apps for android, that avenue is open since that is consistent with Google's goal. Google will not support Windows Phone today, tomorrow, or ever (unless Windows Phone reaches a point of market saturation that makes it in Google's interest). Until then, Google will also go out of its way to make sure Windows Phone never reaches that point of saturation. Keep in mind, of the big tech players, leaving lava lamps and do no evil BS aside, Google is the least ethical player in the game with Amazon running a distant second.

I am sorry but this sort of thing simply totally misses the point. If you want to change Google's practices, stop using Google's services, block their web tracking, and join one of the class action suits or other actions that are ongoing. In another decade or so that might have some effect, unless Google funnels money to the wrong party in the next elections which could accelerate the process. Yes, that is an intentionally bleak scenario given the current business climate. The idea of making amends though honestly requires a suspension of disbelief, as in Hollywood movies or bad TV, to be taken seriously.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's something. MS is the 300 lb gorilla in the room. It will be for some time to come. For all intents in purposes google is an upstart with a product it wants to protect. It won't take much to kill them off and they know it. Microsoft could hinder a lot of google revenue by choking off what chrome can do on the desktop. Using basically the same excuse google used to remove youtube from WP (advertizing) but for whatever reason they don't make moves like that. I suspect something else is amiss from Microsoft.

Sorry but Google stopped being an upstart protecting some insecure position a long time ago. Perhaps you might want to take a look at the values, and market sector positions, of the companies and then rethink that statement. In that sense your use of 300 pound gorilla may be appropriate. The phrase is actually 800 pound gorilla. As strong as Microsoft is in its primary market sectors, it is not the 800 pound gorilla in this room. Google also now has a higher market cap overall than Microsoft as well.

Standard disclaimer: I loathe Google on every conceivable level so none of that is intended as a compliment. It is simply a fact they are neither an upstart nor a one trick pony. They are the dominant player in mobile and intend to keep that position at any cost.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Then I asked you same question then why not MS support Linux?
They have also millions of users and most corporate use Linux then why?
Are there 50 million Linux users? Can a company support multiple Linux distros with a single software type or will Microsoft need to develop multiple versions for Office for Linux?
Moving to my part
You know that
YouTube have 800 plus millions users
Gmail have 286 plus millions users
And many more......

If Google provides it's services then these users have choice to use WP.
Because, as I said earlier, Google's core revenue stream doesn't come from Android, it comes from advertising and selling Google services. Android is just a way to deliver those services to users, but the aim - at the end of the day - is to sell users services. For the same reason Google actually rose and prospered on the back of Windows, it can sell to 50 million (growing by 7-8 million a quarter) users on the back of Windows Phone.
Why would Google risks millions Billions of users for 50 millions users?
Their is no way Google letting these users to give choice WP which have it's competitor services. Because as we know WP forces you to use MS services.
Google wouldn't risk billions. At the end of the day it is selling services to people, and since Windows Phone has a lot of people demanding Google services, it'd make extra money by supporting Windows Phone. And yes, WP forces users to sign onto a Microsoft Account, but so what? After the initial sign-in, if users had access to Google services, they can go back to using GMail, Google Maps, Docs, Drive, etc.
That is why Google isn't going to provide it's services to WP.
If someone who uses only Google services then that users never be able to satisfied with WP and surly move to Android or iOS.
Avg user will blame WP for that it has no Google apps not Google.
But it doesn't make sense. Google makes money from selling services. If it doesn't sell to WP users (who actually want Google services), then it's not making money off those users UNLESS they switch to iOS or Android. And hence my earlier point. Google isn't doing this to WP because of low market share or whatever, it is doing it for the purpose of pushing WP out of the market, even though from their own business PoV, they don't need to (as they sell services across platforms). It seems to me that Google just wants to beat Microsoft in the OS game for the sake of beating it in the OS game.
Business is much more than what you think.
People who are sitting in Google offices know better than you & I.
That is why Google is successful IT company.
The people sitting in Google offices are human beings at the end of the day, them being IT professionals doesn't make them any less susceptible to irrational behaviour.

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I hate to be 'that guy' but this is not an issue we, the Windows Phone community, can sort out. Microsoft and Google will have to do all the negotiating. Google don't have a war against Microsoft, rather a disagreement in certain areas. Specifically Windows Phone, and app development. Google got in a bit of a fluster when Microsoft released the YouTube app. Google and Microsoft collaborated together to produce that app, but Google thought that Microsoft's development aspects of the app breached YouTube's terms of service. Microsoft didn't really co-operate, thus leading to no Google apps. I mean, that's not the only reason, but you get the idea. Besides, Google dropped two patent disputes against Microsoft, and Microsoft own Android API's. Microsoft even introduced new Google API's into Windows Phone. They're two 'rivalling' companies, there's going to be tension between them, it's business. Things will improve, we just need to let them iron things out.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I hate to be 'that guy' but this is not an issue we, the Windows Phone community, can sort out. Microsoft and Google will have to do all the negotiating. Google don't have a war against Microsoft, rather a disagreement in certain areas. Specifically Windows Phone, and app development. Google got in a bit of a fluster when Microsoft released the YouTube app. Google and Microsoft collaborated together to produce that app, but Google thought that Microsoft's development aspects of the app breached YouTube's terms of service. Microsoft didn't really co-operate, thus leading to no Google apps. I mean, that's not the only reason, but you get the idea. Besides, Google dropped two patent disputes against Microsoft, and Microsoft own Android API's. Microsoft even introduced new Google API's into Windows Phone. They're two 'rivalling' companies, there's going to be tension between them, it's business. Things will improve, we just need to let them iron things out.
That's the problem, it should be ironed out already. People are refusing to buy windows phones because of the lack of official google services. Microsoft is being slow again.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem, it should be ironed out already. People are refusing to buy windows phones because of the lack of official google services.
Judging from the posts above by many Windows Phone enthusiasts, they don't want Google services at all and justify everything by saying Google is an advertisement company, Google+ is subpar, myTube is better than YouTube, etc.

I don't see how this would affect sales when clearly many of the people don't even want Google services on Windows Phones.

Who knows? Maybe the attitude people have against Google is what made Microsoft relaxed about not bringing back "official" YouTube.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I really have no use or care of an official YouTube app. Metrotube or the others work great so I have too many choices to care about.
I switched to Bing and full modern IE for browsing.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
It is pretty naive to think that if Microsoft offers google a hand of friendship then google will bring its services to windows phone because google will not. Unless, Microsoft exceeds its market share by more than 10-15% maybe then google will think about that. Till then MS has to think of ways to not screw up its OSes and services.

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem, it should be ironed out already. People are refusing to buy windows phones because of the lack of official google services. Microsoft is being slow again.

I agree in some respects, but it is a Microsoft platform. And although they should try and cater to all audiences, most people who want Google services other than YouTube will go straight to Android. Windows Phone wouldn't be considered, and most likely neither would iOS. Think of how long it took Microsoft to bring all of their services over to Android. It wasn't an instant thing. Microsoft catered to their platforms first. Much to what Google is doing now. I wouldn't necessarily say it's a Microsoft problem at the minute, although it has been in the past.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
No offense but this is just na?ve.
I am sorry but this sort of thing simply totally misses the point. If you want to change Google's practices, stop using Google's services, block their web tracking, and join one of the class action suits or other actions that are ongoing. In another decade or so that might have some effect, unless Google funnels money to the wrong party in the next elections which could accelerate the process. Yes, that is an intentionally bleak scenario given the current business climate. The idea of making amends though honestly requires a suspension of disbelief, as in Hollywood movies or bad TV, to be taken seriously.

Na?ve : I prefer optimistic :p , but seriously understating user's power over companies policies is something I consider na?ve
Google + ethical = A BIG FAT NO , being ethical applies for people or groups not major corporations , especially if you're an advertising corporation , calling a company ethical is like calling it good or bad or happy or sad : meaningless . Even though you may consider me to be na?ve : which I do partly confess ; I think it's a lot more na?ve to consider a company in any way to be even remotely resemblnt to a human being , unless by human you mean a profit only machine ; but I don't like judging people whom I've never had a conversation with in real life ....
Let's face it if Apple and MS once agreed in the past , Google and apple were also partners in the past , I can't see a real reason for MS and google not to be . and No google doesn't feel threatened by bing search because they've collected
way more data and developing a search engine requires just that Data ; So if there's one MS product that'll be really for ever playing catch up with google's than it's bing search ; Note that this isn't true for the technologies and products based on Bing though e.g. Cortana .
PS : Ads are what matter for Google , let'em sell'em and they'll do what ever it takes to take their profit margins even higher ,developing the apps for them than just let them publish the source code wouldn't really hurt MS either , on the contrary it'll give the necessary boost to Windows in general .

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Judging from the posts above by many Windows Phone enthusiasts, they don't want Google services at all and justify everything by saying Google is an advertisement company, Google+ is subpar, myTube is better than YouTube, etc.

I don't see how this would affect sales when clearly many of the people don't even want Google services on Windows Phones.

Who knows? Maybe the attitude people have against Google is what made Microsoft relaxed about not bringing back "official" YouTube.

2.5% of people with a smartphone are microsoft loyalists. The rest are people that just want their official google apps. People in these forums don't want them but many potential customers do.

DER1996

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
2.5% of people with a smartphone are microsoft loyalists. The rest are people that just want their official google apps. People in these forums don't want them but many potential customers do.

More like Nokia loyalists really ;) and people who aren't willing to spend a small fortune a phone ; but yes the rest , ( and let's face it even most of you guys) more than want official WP apps by google , and since Google is dominant in online services and smartphones are all about online capabilities , imo this is the last major growth challenge that WP is facing . I mean apps and games come and go , but services oh they say , a lot .

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

because its the truth,google is subpar in alot of ways with youtube ads and google+
ive never liked googles attitude , they apparently "own" everything on google drive,force us to use google+ etc
google forced microsoft to remove MS's youtube app from the store for unknown reasons,its obvious they are scared of WP

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I really have no use or care of an official YouTube app. Metrotube or the others work great so I have too many choices to care about.
I switched to Bing and full modern IE for browsing.

exactly i dont want ads every 2 mins like on ios and androids official youutube app
even on ios i use jasmine its the best youtube client for ios and "lacks" adverts

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
because its the truth,google is subpar in alot of ways with youtube ads and google+
ive never liked googles attitude , they apparently "own" everything on google drive,force us to use google+ etc
google forced microsoft to remove MS's youtube app from the store for unknown reasons,its obvious they are scared of WP
I was never forced to use any of Google services being an Android user for over 2 years now, the only thing I needed the Google account was for the Play Store however when I saw how good the other services, I intentionally joined Google+, YouTube, Google Maps and so on..Google doesn't force you to do stuff and Google+ go be really nice.

Nothing about Google or it's services are subpar, we'll most of them aren't.

But the attitude of people like you is probably one reason why Google doesn't port it's services over to Windows Phone.
exactly i dont want ads every 2 mins like on ios and androids official youutube app
even on ios i use jasmine its the best youtube client for ios and "lacks" adverts
What you people fail to understand is that those ads are put by video creators themselves, and it's called "Monetizing your videos with ads" and it helps video creators improve their content once they build a significant fan base.

I don't understand why so many of you are crying over watching a few seconds of ads every now and then, I mean if it weren't for ads how many of you would pay or donate to YouTube video creators? I would think none of you, or very few.

If you think about it logically before hating, you'll realize why ads are on YouTube and why they aren't bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb